Community
Search
Notices
Digital Camera & Photo Editing Discuss digital cameras in this forum. Products, comparisons, usage, tips for getting your rc photos on the web. Software photo editing and touch up tips.

If you need Photoshop help...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 09:54 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default If you need Photoshop help...

Feel free to ask.

For those of you who don't already know, I am a Graphic Artist by trade. I have studied Photography and Digital Image Manipulation and have been doing both for many years.

I'm not very knowledgeable with ALL Image Editing Software, but there are many features common to all of them, so if you have something other than Photoshop, I can probably help you there also.

As far as Photoshop goes. there's not much it can do that I don't know about.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:15 AM
Skycam41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: If you need Photoshop help...

That is a great offer, thanks Mike. I have just bought a Canon 20D and I have Photoshop CS. I am a pro wedding photographer and I know I will have some questions!! I did buy a good how to book called "the Photoshop cs book" by Scott Kelby and it is an excellent if you want to achieve this then do these steps type of a book which for my purposes was awesome but there is so much to Photoshop and someone with experience is invaluable

Cheers

Mike
Old 02-19-2005, 01:51 PM
MinnFlyer

Yes, I would strongly recommend that people get a good photoshop book, but there are some things that even the books don't tell you.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:36 AM
racetruck

I had a guy resize a pic for the avatar to 85x85 but it said it was to big the pic looked very small he used photoshop 6
Old 02-28-2005, 10:35 AM
MinnFlyer

Hi Race, ok first - what browser are you using? If you're using anything but Internet Explorer you may have trouble uploading pics, so first, try using IE if you're not already.

If that's not the problem, open the pic in Photoshop, and at the top click "Image - Mode - Index Color" set the parameters as shown in the attached picture I'm sending, then do a "Save As" and save it as a "Compuserve Gif"

Then try uploading the new Gif file.

Let me know if it works or not.

Good luck!
Old 02-28-2005, 12:25 PM
racetruck

Well I tryed it and it started the up load and did'nt close.[]
Old 02-28-2005, 02:13 PM
racetruck

I'am at work right now my email don't work out of the plant.I will be home around 5 o'clock. I will send it from there Thanks for your help. RACETRUCK My home email will look like this [email protected]
Old 03-08-2005, 01:58 AM
MurDev
My Feedback: (1)

Mike,

I'm just starting to research how to get into Digital Photography, in order to be able to post pictures in Forums related to Kit Building. The best recommendation so far is an HP 945 (5 Megapixel) camera, which can be had for about $300. The question I have concerns the software package to manipulate the image. The HP software is evidently not up to much, and I wonder if you can give me an idea of lower priced software packages that would do a 'reasonable' job, just to be able to submit closeup 'clear' pictures to this and other websites, but considered 'minimal' from a professional standpoint? Thanks JM
Old 03-08-2005, 06:56 AM
MinnFlyer

I know that there is one called "Paint Shop Pro" that works well. Not sure on the price though.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:24 PM
MurDev
My Feedback: (1)

Mike,

Thanks for the tip! Paint Shop Pro 9.0 is at Amazon.com for $79.99 (with a $30 rebate) and Paint Shop Pro 8.0 can be found on the Net for as low as $29.99...Will only version 9.0 work well for highlighting closeup shots to post to websites? JM
Old 03-08-2005, 12:27 PM
MinnFlyer

No, any of them will work
Old 03-08-2005, 01:49 PM
marwen1
My Feedback: (6)

As is MINNFLYER. My name is marwen. If I may, I'd like to throw my hat into the ring as well!

49 years as a professional photographer - 10 years doing digital. I think I had one of the first digital cameras that came out. Formal training in MULTIMEDIA covering almost everything that is state-of-the-art. In essence, the industry standards are PHOTOSHOP, ILLUSTRATOR or FREEHAND, & QUARKXPRESS. These are the three basic pieces of working with digital anything. In fact, I even went past the "normal" level of printing and bought a LARGE FORMAT printer. WE can produce prints of almost any size - even though the printer is 36" wide Media - you can always "tile" your work. We did a print for a retailer last month that was 96" wide & 74" top to bottom. 36" & 36" & 24" = 96"total wide.

I may not know everything but I'll give it a good shot if you have any questions. I think I remember useing PhotoShop back as far as 3.0.5 days. I know that I have every version that has come out in both PC and MAC formats.

BY the way, MAC is the format of choice for Graphics. So, between MINNFLYER and myself (at least so far) no question is a stupid question. We all have to learn somewhere!

Have a great day folks

marwen
Old 03-08-2005, 02:11 PM
MinnFlyer

Welcome aboard marwen!

My PS experience goes back to v2.5 (Before layers) and Illustrator about the same. I too mainly use a MAC, but I have both programs on my PC as well, I'm just not as fluent with the PC version. I learned Pagemaker way back when, and my company switched to Quark after I was doing graphic work exclusively, so I never really got good with it, and have forgotten just about all I learned, so I just stick to Pagemaker. It works good enough for what I need.

Feel free to chime in anytime!
Old 03-08-2005, 09:27 PM
dutchalltheway

Mike...awesome offer!!
I myself use oth Adobe Photoshop and Adobe elements. Both great programs, but still have lots of questions when working with them.
I recently bought the Nikon D-70, with SB800 flash and a sigma zoom lens. Great camera.

So, yup..I really would like to take you up on your offer, thanks so much in advance!!
Old 03-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Great-North

I was wondering what the biggest differences are between photoshop7 and CS. I have been using version 7 for some time now on a casual basis but was wondering if the upgrade actually gave you some more functionality or not. Thanks
Old 03-09-2005, 01:11 PM
MinnFlyer

I haven't had a chance to play with CS yet, but while giving it a very brief overview, I saw a new tool in there that looks pretty cool. But it would only be for severly modifying pictures (Like turning a car's round headlight into a heart shape)

Really, for 99.9999% of anything that the average person needs, V3.0 is good enough. In fact, for 90% of the professional stuff I do, I still use v5.5 And the only reaso I upgraded from 3.0 was for the Actions pallet (Which is a godsend for the amount of production work I do) and for the Image Ready sidecar program which I use to batch-convert catalog images into web graphics.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:46 PM
shaunrbell

The raw conversion is one of the main features. I'm not sure if the shadow/highlight adjustment is new, but I think it is. It's nice to convert raw image direct without always opening another software package. If I have a lot of images to covert I still use Capture One, way easier than CS.

Shaun Bell

ORIGINAL: Great-North

I was wondering what the biggest differences are between photoshop7 and CS. I have been using version 7 for some time now on a casual basis but was wondering if the upgrade actually gave you some more functionality or not. Thanks
Old 03-11-2005, 12:28 PM
marwen1
My Feedback: (6)

Basically, the difference between PS7 & CS is that CS is geared mainly towards the digital camera user. you can do a lot of small specialty thing - much easier

Howevern Lets say place a "drop shadow" onto something. It's real easy to do by using that feature, but if you knew how to do a drop shadow manually, -- you would have a lot more contril over it. For instance, A DS can be moved all over the place and you can "SKEW" it. That's becase when you do it manually, you are working in a separate layer.

marwen
Old 03-11-2005, 12:44 PM
MinnFlyer

Marshall is absolutely right. While some of the "Automatic Effects" that photoshop utilizes are easy and convenient, learning how to do them manually gives you MUCH greater control over your work.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:03 PM
Great-North

Thanks i think ps7 will do me for a while then.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:01 PM
Ian.W

mike, how do i cut around images? im using PSP9 and i want to cut around my plane (or anything else for that metter) and stick it over something else

Thanks
Ian

EDIT: this is my favorite photoshop website http://www.aseltine.com/rhee/
Old 04-06-2005, 03:40 PM
MinnFlyer

Ian, select the lasso tool, click on the edge and while holding down the mouse button hold the Alt key (Maybe the Ctrl key - I'm used to a Mac)

That will allow you to stretch out a line like a rubber band. Any time you click, it will anchor the rubber band there. Once you release the Alt (Ctrl) key, it will close the selection.

To add to a selection, hold the Shift Key

To subtract from a selection, hold the Alt (Ctrl) key
Old 04-10-2005, 12:17 PM
Ian.W

got it, thanks!

Ian
Old 08-23-2005, 10:46 AM
viper16

Mike, if I load a picture in cs,is there an easy way to find out what the background color #'s of that picture is. Thanks Greg
Old 08-23-2005, 11:01 AM
MinnFlyer

Yes Greg, Select the background color with the eyedropper tool and then click on the forground color box. A dialog box will appear with all of the color values

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.