Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Blade 400 - Tips, tricks, and mods

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Blade 400 - Tips, tricks, and mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 09:26 AM
The Hedgehog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Blade 400 - Tips, tricks, and mods

ORIGINAL: fw190

Why would they? My Trex 500 is on its way to my LHS.

The canopy is $9.99 it fits better as I have struggled putting the original canopy on because the battery leads get in the way. No major mods on that Trex canopy just opened the top for motor cooling and relocated the mounting holes. Does not affect the CG much still can fine tune by moving the battery.

I really like the look of the canopy, but I have to ask, is visibility an issue? I find myself using the bright colors when I am throwing around my heli it makes it easier for orientation...
Old 01-07-2008, 12:59 PM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Auto, I was just driving around town and happened to be at a LHS and this was the only one they had in stock []. I to wish it was brighter and the fake carbon is just.... fake. Too much work to sand and paint, will look for another.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:04 PM
The Hedgehog

Auto, I was just driving around town and happened to be at a LHS and this was the only one they had in stock []. I to wish it was brighter and the fake carbon is just.... fake. Too much work to sand and paint, will look for another.
Yeah, I understand should be fine flying close to you though. The fake carbon is pretty neat I think looks prertty slick. Anyway good to know you can fit a T-rex canopy.

I have that aftermarket e-flite canopy since I think it klooks better than the stock one, I think it looks pretty neat.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:00 PM
alfredbmor

ORIGINAL: Torquestar

I just don't get why Trex owners and others go out of their way to come into an E-flite subforum and tell people to avoid buying the Blade 400. I've seen videos of the stock unit flying and it looks fine to me! Is it perfect? No. Is it adequate for someone new getting into the hobby? I think so. I spent a fair amount of time on a CX and it got pretty boring. I was about to get a CP Pro when I was told to hold off and wait for the B400. I'm glad I was given that advice.

I just started out, and I decided that the Blade 400 was a good choice because as an RTF, I'd see exactly how one was put together, and learn about it (my background is mechanical and electrical engineering, and an electric RC heli is a fascinating machine). I would have been lost buying a Trex and having to figure out how to put it together.

What you say in theory, though, is partially true if you take it to an extreme. But some people are forgetting that the Blade 400 flies ok for what it is, and requires no additional cost. Several people (mostly Trex owners I think) seem to skip to the end, where B400 owners have flown them and want to start making it better. However, that's the thing... They don't HAVE to buy better servos right away, as the gears for the servos cost $3 bucks. They don't HAVE to buy better blades, as the stock ones are "ok". You can get a Spektrum DSP75 digital servo for the tail for 20 bucks, and apparently that works just fine. And the DX6i seems like an ok radio for a beginner/intermediate user.

I'll admit, the "upgrade" bug has me... But I can spend money at my own pace to upgrade, and still be able to fly it immedately. I'm not laying out over $1000.00 dollar number that people seem to love to throw around to prove their point. I spend half that, and can fly right now.

I have no doubt that once I get better at this, that I'll wind up getting a Trex, since I like the idea of having a solid base to work with... but for now, I got in at a good price and it added another person to the pool of RC heli guys in this hobby. The more people spending money on mainstream products, the more 3rd party support there is. So people should be welcoming the new blood instead of potentially scaring them off, telling them they'd be better off spending twice as much immediately.

ORIGINAL: alfredbmor

It looks to me that the Blade 400 has not filled the needs of the Heli fliers, let's start with those who think that this bird needs some upgrades.
Stock price around 480 dlls.
1.- Stripped servos in a mild crash, you may want to upgrade to hitec (100 dlls for 4 servos)
2.- Needs Better blades (You will need to upgrade to align blades at 16.00 dlls.
3.- Some want to upgrade to a Better gyro (Futaba gyro for 139.00 dlls)
4.- Some want to upgrade to a better Radio (DX7) (Around 350 dlls)

How much money do you have to invest to perform all those upgrades?

total investment: $1,085.00 dlls and still you have a plastic made mini helicopter.

Isn't it much easier if you buy a Trex SA (240 dlls at Horizon Hobby or less at ebay)
Buy Hitec servos 100 dlls aprox.
Futaba 401 Gyro (140 dlls) and a DX7 (around 350 dlls)
and a 2170 Flight Power battery (75.00 dlls)

Total invested $905.00
You do not need more upgrades and flies much better and stable than the E-flite blade 400.

Well that is just for thinking.

I did not mean to harm any E-flite pride, I also fly my E-Flite CP pro before my Trex just to warm up, that is why I often look for new E-flite products and I was thinking that the Blade 400 could be a good choice but lets be honest and check all the Blade 400 forums and take note of their faults and also check what the owners say about upgrading it.
I own the CP Pro in the stock way (No upgrades) but I have invested more on it than in my Trex (Which could be cheaper with e-flite gyro and servos), The point here is that you can have a really good machine (with out upgrading) with the Trex SA 450, I am not a seller, I am just an owner and flier.
As an E-flite user I can tell you that I have visited my LHS much more frequently than an Align user. As someone said maybe we are not comparing apples with apples but for sure we are spending money and I can tell you that you can have a very stable and safer hover with a T-rex than any other mini helicopter (Except the mini titan according with the Barrucahockey’s review).
I respect your position I just wanted to post my point of view and there is not intention to offend to anybody.
Best Regards,
Alfred.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:35 PM
hitman102766

I am new to the setup of heli's. I have the B400 and stripped 2 of my eflite servos, so i bought 4 hitec hs55 servos. My ? is when i put 1 of the hitec servos on, when i add throttle, the swashplate should move down to give the blades pitch. the hs 55 makes the one side of the swashplate go up, is there a setting in the dx6i to reverse the way the servo turns??? thanks in advance. total noob ????
Old 01-07-2008, 06:41 PM
Torquestar

I'm pretty new to this too, but from the past few weeks I've learned a few things:

Different servos act differently, so I believe if you're replacing one of the cyclic servos with a different manufacturer, you should replace them all. The DX6i does mixing and stick inputs to one servo may give unpredictble results to another of a different brand. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Secondly, I believe the DX6i has a place for you to reverse a specific channel/servo. You'll want to consult the large DX6i manual for that one.

Lastly, the Spektrum DSP75 servo uses the exact same gear set as the E-Flite DS75. The Spektrum gear sets are available right now. I ordered about a dozen sets, because I know I'll be crashing a lot...

In the near future, I'll probably look into getting the HiTech metal gear servos or the JR digital metal gear servos.

ORIGINAL: hitman102766

I am new to the setup of heli's. I have the B400 and stripped 2 of my eflite servos, so i bought 4 hitec hs55 servos. My ? is when i put 1 of the hitec servos on, when i add throttle, the swashplate should move down to give the blades pitch. the hs 55 makes the one side of the swashplate go up, is there a setting in the dx6i to reverse the way the servo turns??? thanks in advance. total noob ????
Old 01-07-2008, 07:31 PM
alfredbmor

ORIGINAL: hitman102766

Yes.
Change the positive or negative numbers on the swash menu, take care of remain the same numbers just go all the way till the number changed is positive or negative, and make one number at a time to see how it changes.

I have read many posts about this problem with the B400, hopefully you will solve this issue with Hitec servos (Or metal geared metal servos like the HS65MG).

I hope this can help.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:11 AM
damonlee

In response to what some are saying about comparing the Blade 400 to T-rex; I don't think it is really fair or even the point.

Did e-flite develop the Blade 400 to compete with the T-rex? From where I'm standing, The Blade is for people like me, who want to get into a CP, 400 sized machine at under $500.... Parts are definitely available and low cost.

By the way, I WANT that black carbon canopy, where can I get it??

-Damon
Old 01-08-2008, 02:39 AM
fw190

I got the canopy from Hobby People, they carry very few Trex parts in fact I don't trust them carry many parts of anything. I was there looking for Deans male connector to make a battery adaptor because I wasn't about to cut all my Deans battery connectors to make them the blue Eflite connectors. What I did was purchase a male Deans connector and female Eflite blue connector. Dean plug into battery and the other to ESC, and if I need to use the Eflite pack I just remove the adapter. Maybe I should have just got rid of the Eflite connectors altogether but I though it was easier this way in case something needs to be returned. I am running 2200 packs and getting plenty of hover time with 6 batteries, hopefully i don't get bored and do something fun and crash it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22192.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	845573  
Old 01-08-2008, 05:56 PM
Wolfpackin

Would you happen to have the part number for the blue E-flite connector?
Old 01-08-2008, 07:57 PM
fw190

I got the extension part # EC3 Fflite, i just cut the wire in half and solder a male Dean on it.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:04 PM
Wolfpackin

Thank you.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:24 PM
fw190

Your welcome!

I been flying my 400 and yup its hard seeing it all black! I dont even see the carbon detail on the canopy [:@], time for some bright green spray can!. Still managed to put 6 batteries through it today and not getting it too far from view. I am learning how to use idle up. Kind of scary as it has some punch for a noob like myself, so I set the throttle curve of Idle1 to 90 percent max and Idle2 to 100, using a DX7. I am sure I will need that 100 percent power some day. Kind of fun seeing just how fast it can jump when you have the left stick way up . I am sure my Trex 500 will be much more powerfull [X(]. ooooh m skuuuuurd!
Old 01-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Wolfpackin

You're way ahead of me as far as flying , but it's comforting to know it can be done.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:20 AM
fw190

I wish i can do something about the fish tailing! tried all kinds of HH setting and lowering the gryo value made the wag even longer in between. I have mine set at 55 on the gyro, anyone find a good setting?
Old 01-09-2008, 11:00 AM
BaracW

I wish i can do something about the fish tailing! tried all kinds of HH setting and lowering the gryo value made the wag even longer in between. I have mine set at 55 on the gyro, anyone find a good setting?
Are you using a stock eFlite servo or an upgraded digital DSP75? As you may already know, and from what I hear, the stock servo will not work in HH mode with the gyro. Something about it not excepting the signal pulse of 275hz, which is needed for HH mode. Otherwise, you work in rate gyro mode only, regardless of settings. Anyway, if you haven't, you might try switching to a DSP75 tail servo. Just FYI and someone can correct me, if my understanding is wrong. I'm by no means an expert.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:13 PM
fw190

I am using stock servos. I thought it was using HH mode, its just not using the digital signal from the receiver. I kept the switch standard on the gryo switch because the manual says to keep it there unless I get a servo that can operate at 275hz.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:11 PM
BaracW

It is a HH gyro, but again, from what I understand, that stock servo is not fast enought to accept the needed signal for spot on tail hold. If you are willing to spend a little, I've read that the Spektrum DSP75 is a direct replacement for the stock in the tail. You only need to reverse servo direction on gyro and radio, and then change mode to digitial and you will have rock steady tail. This servo is available for $18-20, and accepts the 275hz for HH capability. Also, you may want to buy a few extra gear sets, because it's not a matter of if, but when on stripping the gears out of the stocks. They are cross compatable with the above servo.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:00 AM
fw190

I ordered the dsp75 servo. However the 400 is hovering really nice and nearly hands off, I have about 30 flights through it. I just want the tail to stay in the same direction when I apply quick burst of power. One day, if I can get fester enough courage I will try that loop and hoping the tail will stay straight.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:31 AM
fw190

For your eyes only! I taken these picks, sorry it was from my phone camera, the fully bling bling Blade 400 with cnc metal head rotor, tail and carbonizzle Blade 400 at the Horizon Hobby booth in Ontario AMA show. I picked it up and it almost hovered, seems even lighter weight than the stock Blade 400, with more metal!

I also got to see my future baby a Trex 500, but the stork haven't been to my LHS.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39133.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	848849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63661.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	848850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79485.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	848851   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz76245.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	848852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gr93255.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	848853  
Old 01-16-2008, 06:40 PM
karbonkid

I went to the lhs and they only had align 315 blades. I purchased the baldes made a spacer for them to fit the grips and hovered a bit everything seems fine. I was thinking about head speed and I don't have a tach but can tell that it has increased. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the 315 blades on the 400 or had an idea of what the difference would be. I changed the pitch curve in attempt to lower the rpm's slightly but do not think that it made much of a difference. thanks in advance....

sorry moving post to the general q's one
Old 01-16-2008, 10:26 PM
Torquestar

Did you get a chance to talk to the people at the HH booth about when they may be releasing the aluminum head upgrades for the Blade 400? Or was this done just for the show?

For your eyes only! I taken these picks, sorry it was from my phone camera, the fully bling bling Blade 400 with cnc metal head rotor, tail and carbonizzle Blade 400 at the Horizon Hobby booth in Ontario AMA show. I picked it up and it almost hovered, seems even lighter weight than the stock Blade 400, with more metal!

I also got to see my future baby a Trex 500, but the stork haven't been to my LHS.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:59 PM
ERN1

Thinking abuot getting new HELI is this a good step after flyin Axe cp AFTER 1 YEAR?
Old 01-17-2008, 07:35 AM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: ERN1

Thinking abuot getting new HELI is this a good step after flyin Axe cp AFTER 1 YEAR?
YES it is a good HELI for upgrading from the Axe CP, flies tons better than the Axe.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:15 PM
fw190

If you do not already have a a good programmable heli radio this is a good start. You can spend more on a better heli like a Trex, Logo or Raptor, believe me you will spend more. At under $500 it includes everything you need to get in the air. The radio is a full 2.4 Spektrum transmitter, no channels to deal with.

Talked to the reps at Horizon Hobby and they a have no clue! [] when it will be out, the carbon blades, fins and tail rotors should be out by the end of the month. No dates on the metal rotors and tail. I picked up the heli that was all updated and it is extremely light, may not be as stable in windy condition but a solid 3D machine.

The first thing, when I get better is to change out what I think is important... these are cnc swash plate, main rotor head, blade grips and all metal tail. I really need that CNC tail because it will help with CG when using 2200mah battery. The current plastic rotor head is a bit mushy.

I am still wonder how I was able to fly my blade cp as it manages to crash on its own went through a dozen blades, have over 40 flights on the B400 and have not hurt it once. Well the cp's and axe's are great crash heli trainers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.