Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 09:53 AM
JPEE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Nick,

So glad to hear from you. Sounds like school is going well for you. Your class choices for next year will make a for a rigorous semester, but we have followed your time in academia and you have always emerged with a good great and I think that will continue for you, because.............. your hungry for it and like it. Good luck and enjoy your upcoming holidays too!
As far as crossing the campus.............. can you say "skateboard"? lol The flying aircraft carrier is spectacular, man.... that guy put it some time on that project. If he had a NAZA controller in it it would hover in place nearly steady as a rock, then he could land on it too! He should hook up a servo to lift up an deck fence (like the real carriers have the static deck bungies) so that little light foamie plane would not fall off of the end after landing.

Yes Mark......... I am a pretty fast hunt and peck two-three finger type-er. I do have Dragon software I bought but after using it I have so typo errors because it doesn't recognized the terms we talk in. Then they wanted permission to let Dragon read all of my past emails so it could learn my vocabulary. Kiss my butt, I am not letting them do that. It does work pretty well, and while dictating is nice by the time I go back correct the typo's for things like LIPOS, COPTERS, ESC'S, MAH, and such the time is about the same for my end product. So I haven't used it in a few months................ it's just me and my two-three finger speed typing lol. Oh......... I do have to look at the key board to see where my keys are. I can look up from time to time and then back down to see how I am doing.

Smiles Guys
Old 11-08-2014, 01:09 AM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Hi guys,

Nick,

I am sure you are ready for the end of this semester. 3 more to go? BTW, don't blow up the chem lab next year. Lol!

I don't envy you with the hustling hike your going to have to do - did that with my classes in Ohio and had a campus that was very hilly. Suffice it to say lots of cardio was done getting to class huffing and puffing.

Sorry you had to work during clock change...I can't tell you how many years I worked 3rds during both spring ahead and fall back clock changes. Most places only pay for 8 hours so that's a double whammy. Luckily this year I had off and had an extra hour to work on some projects.

The aircraft carrier was a cool project. I saw a few video's where some guys did those hunter hover craft of the terminator movies. Did that article actually call the foamy plane a drone??

JPEE,

You speedy hunt and peck-(er) lol. I've seen those Dragon commercials and while it seems a good idea I never knew they wanted to go searching through your personal emails. They must really be crazy to want that level of personal encroachment. Too bad you can't return thier product for a refund considering the trouble to make it work.

I was so excited Thursday just waiting for my plane to arrive. The brown truck arrived around 4, oh the pain of waiting that long! But it is gorgeous. Slightly bigger than expected but that's fine. I had to put it next to the Zero for comparison and it'll work with my new smaller flying field.

Dynam made this plane keeping in mind that the modeler will probably want to repaint it b/c it comes bare - the decals come on a separate sheet, a very nice feature. The colors are horrid and I did start to strip it. I can't believe how easily the acetone works. It took about 30 minutes to do both wings. I have to say acetone is some nasty stuff as it ate through a few pairs of vinyl gloves and my fingers started to get wrinkly from the stuff drying them out. I know they use acetone in the pathology lab during the process of drying out tissue specimens so I decided to stop until I get some better gloves that didn't melt so easily.

I made an attempt on the split flaps but went too deep in the foam during the cut so just opted for full flaps. I'll live with it - my main concern is to have functional flaps.

I hooked up the retracts to see them work and after a few cycles they popped right open. No problems. I need to rake them a bit as was suggested since this model is notorious for tip-overs in thier stock location.

I also need to order paint for the plane - going with Model Masters spray cans. Looks like I need 3 colors...2 different shades of grey and a green. I found a modelers site that has close paint scheme matches and exact can ID's with the various model paint brands. I've tried other paint cans (like Rust-Oleum, Krylon, ColorPlace, etc) and the main problems with those is they spray heavy (tried far away multiple coats) and they tend to spatter after a while even after clearing the nozzel.

I am finding this is nothing like my FMS Zero prep - with that all I really did was rehinge the rudder/elevator and a bit of work with the gear rake and it was ready to fly. This one needs a little more work with the painting and flap install. lol. But giving it a personal touch does give you a sense of satisfaction when its done knowing the work that was put into it.

Thursday was a busy day as not only did I get my Spitt but I also went scuba diving that morning. I had put in PTO for this week so I could get on a dive boat to dive the reefs in the gulf. But unfortunately a cold front moved in earlier this week and the weather and seas were too rough so they had to cancel.

Bummer for sure so I made alternate plans to dive a nearby spring. It was really nice and as I had dove this spring before so I got to explore some new areas this time around. I guess the fish are used to divers being around b/c they weren't scared of me at all. I would lay at the bottom and they would just swim right up to me - literally right up to my mask. And lots of them. I counted maybe 20 of them just swimming all around me - a really cool experience.

Have a good weekend,

Mark
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Parts.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	3.51 MB
ID:	2045806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Partial Assembly.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	3.54 MB
ID:	2045807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zero Comparison.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	3.55 MB
ID:	2045808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Paint Stripping.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	3.63 MB
ID:	2045809  

Last edited by Aframomum; 11-08-2014 at 01:12 AM.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:57 PM
JPEE

Hello Guys,

Mark,

You are so right, those are throw-up colors on the Spitt, sorry I am just agreeing with you. But it will become a sweet flier when your done I am sure. That's good news to hear that the acetone worked as you expected.....wheeeew. Sorry to read about the flaps set back, but as you notoed you'll still have flaps and they'll be great for taking off and landings. Just a shared thought, I remember reworking my landing gear on the 51 and making about the same mods you are going to do and I had to shave out the wheel-well so when it closed the wheel didn't rub the foam. The Zero still looks good after the battles it has flown!
Paint: How do you paint the new color scheme? Do you mask for colors that abut each other? Paint color 1 and then let it dry and the mask and go for color 2?

Dragon Speech software, reading your reply perhaps I was not clear. You "do not" have to let them read your mail boxes, that's your choice. What I was doing was choice two but at the time "time" was pressing me and I couldn't follow the alternate plan which is as follows: You dictate you letter, then you go back and make your corrections. Then when your done you save it but you take a second step and commit that letter to the Dragon memory so it can read and start building "your speech profile". And again, that is only if you want to you can opt out of that too. The other thing is..... you have to learn some of the Dragon speech navigation terms. "Start new paragraph, next line, capital "A", backspace, erase last word, I think you get the point of it. Again, you don't have to use the terms you can mouse around which only after learning the few phrases and keeping a cheat card standing up to the side of my computer is what I did. The Dragon came with a head set so your mic is on a facial boom by your mouth. LOL, I would be in dictation mode and Judy would walk in the home office and say WHAT DO YOU WANT FOR DINNER and BAM the Dragon typed everything she said lol...... and I would have to delete that line by hand. Then she and I developed a hand sign as she walked by to use before speaking to me. With that all said, for a someone that really is on a computer and can use the "short cuts" daily I think it is great! The old saying goes something like this.....familiarity breeds perfection! It was only $99.00 for the disk and the headset.....it is still nice to have and I use it from time to time, for me it is a keeper. But for the small amount of typing I do am just and old fashioned pecker-er I guess. I do this too which will shock you! There are times I do not want to type and mess with any of this. So I'll just make a audio clip with either my web cam mic or I'll record it on my iPhone "voice memo" app and then just send that as an attachment on an email with one line of text greeting my friends and telling them to open the voice memo.

Sorry your sea dive got cancelled and you were relegated to diving in the spring........but even at that with the fish baiting you lol it still must have been a nice diversion from the work stress. My likie "fish on the grill".

Take care

Last edited by JPEE; 11-08-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:30 AM
Barrrick
My Feedback: (2)

Thumbs up Eavesdropper

Hullooo JPEE. Yeppers. Call me an interloper, because eavesdropping and def.do not belong in this thread....at 2am and working around the ANTOINETTE discovered this thread quite by chance....s oooo. GLAD I DID. b/c it is fascinating.....especially the hexagon vid
RICK

Last edited by Barrrick; 11-11-2014 at 01:41 AM. Reason: + pic
Old 11-11-2014, 08:59 AM
JPEE

Hello Rick,

Nice to see you back online. New opinions and with your 60 years of flying and knowledge you're an asset I'm sure the other guys here will be glad to read what you post. However, you should know there's only three of us left that post here so it's not a big audience and there's not a of interaction. Good luck on the completion of your Antoinnette.
JPEE
Old 11-11-2014, 03:41 PM
JPEE

hello Mark,

I just reloaded Dragon software 12.5 I'm making this is the first recording without it learning my speech as of yet. I wanted you to see how many errors it will make right out of the box. As I spoke with you earlier, you can let it read your emails record your speech even the letter I'm writing right now to learn your speech, vocabulary and so on. I have chosen not to do either of those and go back and make some corrections. As you will notice it missed the H on hello.

Now I'm going to speak in language that it's never heard before as an example, I'm going to go fly my 700 T Rex helicopter tomorrow if it doesn't rain. If the weather is good I will also fly my T 28 foamy airplane and my 500 T Rex helicopter. I thought I would also take my XO and my quad. The XO you just saw was the error for HEX a helicopter.

Now I will read from the manual…… Although personalizing the vocabulary will prevent many errors, some errors are inevitable. By correcting Dragon's errors, you can help it learn from them. Experiment with when and how to correct. Dragon lets you do it entirely by voice, but also allows typing over, pressing a hotkey, and more see the options dialog. As you can see this three line paragraph came out almost perfectly.

Okay Mark, that's it I just wanted you to see what it's capable of which in the long run really isn't that bad.

JPOE

Name:	IMG_2762.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	4.63 MB
ID:	2046731  
Old 11-11-2014, 09:40 PM
Aframomum

Hi guys,

Welcome to the thread Rick! Forgive my asking but what is an ANTOINETTE (I'm guessing a plane or heli?)?

JPEE,

thanks for the update on the Dragon software. I guess its not that bad...looks like they give you many options for it to 'learn' your language. But it also seems you need to be patient with it while it learns, ie going through lots of trial and error stuff.

An update on my Spitfire...got the painting started and may have gotten the wrong color grey for the top portion, it seems to be too dark. I just did the rudder but will have to check it against some pictures I have for reference. No big deal as I now know how easily acetone removes it.

I also made an order with Hobbyking as I found a nice deal on JR servo extensions and Y-harness, as well as an LED light kit for the nav lights. Tracking says that package will arrive on Friday so that will be a nice weekend project.

Finished the tail setup last night on the 450 Pro, now just need to do the head setup and finish the FBL setup and I should be ready for a maiden. Plus the weathers been a nice 73 so I really need to get this done and get her flying.

Take care everyone,

Mark
Old 11-12-2014, 05:07 AM
Barrrick
My Feedback: (2)

Thumbs up

Good morni ng AFRA thankyou for the greeting ! the ANTOINETTE is a plane designed and created by the French , only 6 years after the Wrights flew for the first time (1903). This 1909 model is miles ahead of the first design, with an engine ( named ANTOINETTE for the daughter of the engine designer ) , monoplane in the configuration we are all used to now. Tractor, motor in front, monoplane with standard tail planes. It also flew quite well and there are plenty of movies of the plane in flight ( YOUTUBE).......I have decided to test my modelling
capabilities after so many years. Here is a pic of the plane on the first "set up" nothing is yet assembled, but it gives you the idea of what this is..... let me say that this is a "standard" modelling job or what this hobby was all about (until everything became ARF)

Name:	001.JPG
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	2046848   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	2046849  
Old 11-12-2014, 02:47 PM
JPEE

Mark,

Lucky you, fair weather in the 70s you should be out and about and flying.

I can't wait to see the "stretch completed" and flown. I mean how she will fly with the 6s motor, ESC, battery and blades. It should be close to flying a 500 with all of that.

Dang on the paint, not looking like the color match you wanted. But as you said it is an easy fix.

That is fast shipping from HK too! Did you expedite?

We have had the threat of rain now for two cold days and damp grey skies. Today now 2:30 pm. it has opened up. I have my 20 year old grand daughters birthday in a few hours so flying is out. Tomorrow they even more predict rain :-( I have the 450 and the 700 still in the truck with packs to try and sneak a few flights in.

I forgot to mention that the 700 tail box been apart for about four months. This past year November 2013 through the beginning of the year of 14 I only flew a few times and I heard the noise after a the flights and when I went to check I noticed that the whole hub and blade grips assembly was wobbling. Yep the screw was decently tight too but.........what I found was the hole in the middle had become an egg shaped from the wobbling during flight and no matter how much I tightened down the grub screw the assembly moved on the shaft and vibrated when spun up. So Jason had given me his old complete tail box from his totaled 700. His was made after mine and had the version 2.5 larger blade grips and center hub. When I slid that on my shaft it was snug and tight. This modification between the first batch of 700s V2s that were released which is what I have and the second stage V2.5 which is what he was an improvement they had made because the tail assemblies were coming apart when flown hard on the V2s. So now it's time to spool her up, stand back and see what she does! These days I'm just interested in seeing if I can still fly for goodness sake's. No "fancy shmancy" 3-D stuff first time out.

Smiles JPEE

Last edited by JPEE; 11-12-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:47 PM
Aframomum

Hi guys,

JPEE,

Sorry to hear about all the rain but at least you are probably out of those drought conditions now. I am really happy to hear you are getting your heli's ready for flying.

That was some story about your 700. Good thing your friend had a spare tail box for you. That 700 has taken your skills to some extents - inverted flight and auto's.

I had taken my mcpx out a few weeks ago to see how rusty my flying has gotten - well, rusty as a bolt in saltwater. So I can completely relate to you not wanting to do anything too intense. Just take it easy and enjoy the time outside.

My order from HK...not expedited but from the east coast warehouse in Arkansas so not too long in shipping. Before the Arkansas warehouse opened the shipping times from the west coast warehouse was around a week. I made it a point to try at all costs not to order from the HongKong warehouse as that would take at least a month.

Yeah, the getting the wrong paint was a bummer. But I spent some time last night matching colors from online pictures and got my 2 colors situated. Now to run to the store tomorrow morning to pick them up.

Enjoy the granddaughters birthday!

Rick,

Thanks for the run-down on the ANTOINETTE, that's quite a project to tackle. But it seems you come from a time of builders, and that is a rare exception to come across these days. I'm 41 and tried to work on some kits during my early teenage years ('88) and just felt overwhelmed by the scope of work required. I revisited the hobby about 10 years ago and admit that I was happy to discover the ARF's available and how much easier it was for those of us 'kit challenged' to put a plane together that looked half decent and actually flew.

Now don't get me wrong as I feel the skills you have to put a kit together is priceless. I have had a few ARF's that hit terra forma rather hard and I feel my rebuild attempts probably looked worse then the dirt nap caused. That's where the building skill and experience really shines b/c I can barely remove the monocoat and repair a section of crushed wing. So thanks for sharing your build here!

At work due to the Ebola situation we have been getting new policies in place just in case a patient walks in with symptoms. So earlier this week we got to do our Ebola protection suits training, meaning the process of putting them on, working with them on, and taking them off. Yes, we are speaking partially of the protection suits you see the CDC guys using. Booties, double gloves, mask, face shield, and head covering. Can you say hot as can be? Reminded me of my time in the Air Force when we had to do our situational training excercises and had to wear the chemical warfare suits all day. Fun, fun world we live in now.

Mark

Last edited by Aframomum; 11-12-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:40 PM
Aframomum

Hi guys,

Well, I planned to take my Stinger jet out this morning but seems the weather had other ideas...drizzled all morning long. Even charged up my batts last night, so today was spent putting them back to storage. Some days you win, some you don't.

At least it gave me a chance to do some retaping of my jet as it has seen some better days. This was my intro to EDF's so it has taken a beating, plus with having the aerilons reversed for the maiden and not realizing it for 3 attempts that resulted in repeated spirals into the ground after take-off. Yeah, it was time for rebandaging. Motion has a replacement fuse that I've been eyeing but will wait until the new year since I just got the Spit.

Tomorrow is looking better so charging batts again...

Mark

Name:	SAM_1401.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	3.50 MB
ID:	2047445   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1400.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	3.51 MB
ID:	2047446  
Old 11-14-2014, 08:41 PM
evdreamer

John,

I used to skateboard when I was younger, but I could see myself falling over while riding with a backpack.

I hope the new tailbox for your 700 works out.

I have been watching House of Cards for the past couple of weeks. I didn't think I would like it, but I quickly became addicted.

Mark,

I just have two more semesters left. I am already stressing over the potential workload of the chem class even though it is at a freshman level. I really wanted to take an electric car class that is only offered in the spring. The professor has a Tesla roadster and a Model S that the students get to drive.

I thought I wouldn't get paid for the extra hour during the 3rd shift, but I was surprised to find out I do get paid for the extra hour.

Good luck with the plane paint job.

It sounds like you had a fun time diving in the spring.

Can I have some of your weather? It has been in the 20-30s and I had snow a few days ago.

That is could your hospital is preparing for a possible Ebola case.

Rick,

That is cool you can build a plane from a kit. I always enjoyed building helis from a kit rather than from an ARF.

Nick
Old 11-15-2014, 02:44 PM
JPEE

Hello Mark and Nick,

Well market looks like you have your Stinger jet ready to go, now if you can get the weather to meet you at least halfway you'll be able to go out and fly that puppy. I wish you all good luck in your flight.

Nick, I can understand that at this point in your life you don't need a broken ankle and wrist or something falling off a skateboarder with a 30 pound backpack! Boy that would be pretty cool if you could get end of that electric car class because that is the coming rage. My friend has a Rave 4 which is a Toyota SUV set on a Tesla. He also has a Leaf which was his first dive into the electric car market. Because these very good and electronics computers and has a great deal of other skills he immediately started upgrading the charging system on the leaf and he has YouTube videos showing the unit he is putting Brucea (spelling?) Chargers on the leaf cars so they can charge faster so you're not sitting at a charging post for hours at a time. I would think that would be right up your alley.

Last Thursday I decided I would try and go out flying again.
I was shaking like a 12-year-old's school girl. I got two flights in on the 450 Pro w/flybar.....remember those? which out in the real world needed just a wee bit more trimming and she was great. As you will see in the videos I am pretty rusty lol. I got two flights on the T 28 too and I got two.....two minutes each flights on the 700 because I had problems. Being away from all of this stuff for so long I did excellent preflight checks all vehicles to ensure that all might toys were safe and everything was in its proper place. I charged the transmitters, DX6i and my AirTronics my main transmitter. My AirTronics battery started flashing that it was nearly dead. I had just charged that battery overnight so it should have not failed, other than it's a couple years old so I'll be picking up a new one. So Jason loaned me his battery out of his AirTronics radio and I tried to take up the 700. I got it up in the air and flew in circles and all around with no problem then when I went inverted it wanted to stall is if I had forgot to put it in idle up (you can hear the motor fail in the video). I managed to save it before it came down but I can hear the motor going up and down with a rpm's as if I had like a dead battery or a bad cell. So I slid in another freshly charged set of batteries in and went up again and once again when I got upside down it's wanted to stall while inverted and it was all I could do to save it and it was almost as if when I leveled out the blades and it was falling it picked up head speed on its own that helped start the motor. Next Jason gave me a tray of his batteries to try. Again a minute and a half of flight showed the same thing. So Jason started looking over my radio because we have the same AirTronic model and he noticed that the throttle exterior trim sliders had been bumped in or out of place. Once he corrected that then I went up and flew the snot out of the 700. I took some videos of what happens when your don't fly for months at a time.

I am embarrassed to even post these........

BE SURE TO WATCH ON 720p HD. when they open on You Tube their only in 480 so you have to upgrade them at bottom right on that little gear thingie from 480 to 720p.

BTW this video was taken with my iPhone 4s on the new "ball cap mount that holds the phone". I was quite impressed with the HD Quality.

The 450 Pro http://youtu.be/fjOZiMJl4t0

The 700e http://youtu.be/_QTEE9rDxls

The T-28 http://youtu.be/z8ofzbAjYCA

JPEE

Name:	hat cam 1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	2047603   Click image for larger version

Name:	hat cam 2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	2047604   Click image for larger version

Name:	hat cam 3.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	2047605  

Last edited by JPEE; 11-15-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:08 PM
evdreamer

John,

I signed up for that electric car class this morning. The class only meets once a week during a two hour break between my other classes.

Your videos turned out pretty good with the iphone. It was nice seeing a heli fly again. It sounds like you had an interesting day with the batteries and transmitter.

Nick
Old 11-16-2014, 02:39 PM
JPEE

Hi Nick,

I am so tickled you got into that class! Good deal my friend, now let the fun start. BTW......... no Tesla's driving in the snow! LOL

John
Old 11-17-2014, 09:40 PM
Aframomum

Hi guys,

Nick,

Congrats on getting into the electric car class. That should be very interesting as the car industry is branching into that area. I have noticed some electric charging stations popping up at some restaurants and our hospital just installed a dual charging station in the parking lot. There is a doc that drives a Chevy Volt on nightshift and I see it hooked up throughout his shift. I would imagine a Tesla would be a few steps up to drive over a Volt. lol.

Yeah, I really didn't like my entry level chem class either. Organic chem was fun but basic chem with all the balancing reactions and stoichiometry, blah. Sorry but it will be a necessary evil that you have to get through, I do feel your pain though.

Yes you can have some of my 70 degree weather! I can't believe its that cold already in your area. 20's and snow, brrrr!

Yep, the diving was fun. If you ever have the interest in trying it some time in your future I highly recommend it as it's very rewarding.

JPEE,

That was some scary video of your 700 to watch, esp. knowing that your tx settings were off and that was causing the drop out in your motor. But to actually hear it and see your heli's orientation - yikes! Good catch by Jason on the throttle trim.

I bet the 450 with its flybar took some getting used to again. But you did a good job and it was a nice flight, even with the wind.

I have to say your landing with the T-28 was beautifully greased as a 3 pointer. Nicely done. I even saw some nice inverted flight there too.

It looked like you had a good day of flying and aside from the occasional glare the weather looked terrific.

I did get to take out my Stinger on Sunday and had a few nice flights. Experimented with the CG by moving it a bit further back to see if I could level out my inverted flight as it seemed too nose heavy by the constant dive it would do each time I rolled her over. This time was better so I need to do a few more flights to really get it set.

Mark
Old 11-18-2014, 07:33 AM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

Yes it was a good and exciting day even with the minor problems. To have pulled out the 500 but have not having flown in the year, and 450 pro fly bar that hadn't been flown in at least 3 to 4 years and to fly them was really a treat to be honest. The problems that I typified in the article were for the most part pilot error. I had my radio on the charger all night and yet perhaps I did not have the jack pushed in all the way that's the only thing I can think was the problem. When I came home the next day I put the battery on a icharger and it came up perfectly and held a high charge. The I turned the radio on for over an hour leaving it on trying to see how well a battery would hold and it did fine so I think there was just a charging error. I also took a voltmeter and checked the wall wort charger to make sure it was putting out the proper voltage and amperage so perhaps I just hadn't it stuck in far enough? When I landed the T 28 the first time because it has no flaps and our pilot box is in the middle of the runway it's a little hard as you come in a make that swing by the berm and the upper road as to depth wise to see where you're really at and on the first landing I came down about in front of me but ran out of runway at the end and was zigzagging a way of doing a poor man's breaking which stopped me a foot before the end of the runway and going into the brush. As the old saying goes, practice makes perfect, so on the second flight when I announced to the camera that this is going to be a tough landing I was a little better set being my second time but I got it down sooner and got that nice three wheel landing with a little bit of a bounce. Some of that bounces related to the wheels are use I've gone through three sets trying to find something that's not as resilient to stop that bouncing for at least minimize it. All in all it was a good day to fly three different vehicles it really made the juices go and bring back some of the skill I hope now that two weeks from today I'll be able to go back out and be in shape to go through that again.

Sounds like great news on the stinger you had your good day too congratulations! I hope you getyour CG right. Mine is off too. Same as you I need elevator to hold the plane level inverted, so that it's a task I need to finish before I go out again.

Take care

john
Old 11-24-2014, 01:34 PM
evdreamer

My Thanksgiving break finally begins!!!!!! I am going to enjoy not having to worry about school for a week. I hope everyone has a good holiday. I will be working in the morning on Thanksgiving and will probably have the left overs.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:28 PM
JPEE

Hi Guys,

Nick,

I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving even if for you it's leftovers after work..... it'll still be tasty! Punkin pie is pumpkin pie....... breakfast, noon or dinner is good in my eyes. Eat hearty and sleep just as many hours as you can squeak in a day LOL.

To you Nick and Mark, we wish you both and families a great holiday week! I am hoping "you" Mark don't have to work on TG day also!

John

Last edited by JPEE; 11-24-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:07 AM
evdreamer

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Happy birthday Glenn.

Nick
Old 11-27-2014, 05:53 AM
JPEE

Hi Glenn,

We we wish you a very Happy Birthday! Keep with tradition and treat yourself with something special!

Have a great Thanksgiving too.......be sure to put a hurt on that punk in pie too :-)

Happy Thanksgiving to Nick, Mark and everyone here at RCU
Old 11-28-2014, 10:12 PM
Aframomum

Happy Thanksgiving JPEE and NIck (sorry a day late )!

Nick,

Hope your day at work was nice and easy and you benefited by getting holiday pay. I bet you were looking forward to turkey and stuffing when you got home. Enjoy the rest of your time off from school.

JPEE,

Didn't have to work Thanksgiving Day this year, officially. My shift did go into Thanksgiving morning until 6:30am so does that count? But alas, got home, stuffed and put the turkey in the oven and went to bed for a few hours. And had a great dinner when I got up - with lots of leftovers.

I traded days with two of my co-workers so I am currently off for 5 days which is great. Of course my pentance is 6 days straight before and then 6 days straight after but having this time off is nice and gives me some time to do some work on my car...more on that later.

In hobby news I finished the setup on my 450 and will have to do the maiden in the front yard sometime next week. Probably just a hover to make sure everything works and no vibrations. A full flight will have to wait until my car work is sorted out.

I have been also doing some more work on the Spitfire, finished the wiring install on the wing (LED and flap servo). Had to epoxy in CF rods in the LED channels as the wing was really weakened by cutting the channels. Now its nice and sturdy with no flexing. Covered the channels with packing tape, prepped the bottom wing (taped up the retracts and LED) and painted the bottom of the wing.

I cannot believe how difficult this model has been with regards to paint. I actually had to order the gray paint for the top of the plane as I couldn't find it anywhere locally. And online took some searching to find what I wanted in spray form. Most places have only the 1/2 oz bottles that are used for airbrushing. I don't have any airbrushing equipment nor any experience with it - probably b/c I don't do enough hobby painting to justify the costs of it.

I spoke earlier of doing some work on my car. Well, thats an understatement. A week ago I was taking my son to the park in the morning, just pulled out of the driveway and driving down the street. My shoes were wet from the damp grass - and as I was downshifting from 2nd to 1st my foot slipped off the clutch. Violent shudder as the car tried to catch up to the speed verses full access to the gear. Well, the gear must have given b/c I lost all of them. 1st through 5th and no reverse either. I have been driving a stick for 20 years and never had this happen. Had the car towed to the house and discussed what to do next.

So my wife and I have been sharing her vehicle for the past week. We looked into getting another vehicle and almost did on Wednesday but I got so irritated with the dealer heckling over price that we walked out. So I looked to the Saturn forums and came up with a list of things to check before riding off the transmission as a loss. I would like to say they are easy checks but in reality not so much but with my car already not going anywhere it can't hurt to tear into her. Plus my wife and I have gotten used to sharing the one car so we're not so desperate as we were feeling when this started.

So that's about it on the east coast. Oh, Orlando Heli Blowout is in 2 weeks and I am definitely looking forward to seeing the newly released Goblin 380. One major perk when Bert Kammerer is the coordinator of the event!

Happy Birthday Glenn!

Mark
Old 11-29-2014, 05:33 PM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

I will bet that you didn't know what to do with yourself with five consecutive days off LOL. Yeah right.... notice how I didn't even bring the car in the that sentence LOL. It could be as simple as one of the shifting forks broken off

inside the tyranny. Side case removal or jerk the tyranny and take the top off to get in and have a look. I pray and hope it is something simple, I hate to see you bear the cost of used or rebuilt transmission.

If you've been driving them for 20 years I'm sure you've been inside one before. As I sit here and reminisce over rebuilding stick transmissions it could be your front input shaft that broke or your tail-shaft within the transmission

if you've lost all your gears but. However, that's some pretty heavy tempered steel in there so I'd go back to the forks, stripping all of those gears in all forward gears and reverse would be impossible so it's my opinion.... it's something

that drives everything inside that's let go I think. Please let me know when you do resolve the situation I am curious. Buying a car, buying a house, childbirth, marriage, divorce and lastly death are the the biggest stresses in one's life.

I was blessed when I went in and bought my new 2015 Chevrolet pickup that a friend of a friends father was one of the senior salesmen at the dealership so I got a back door introduction and a good deal. I too have walked out of a

dealers after the salesman became the village weenie............ and pulling "all cash" out of my pockets to let him know he let a no-nonsense cash deal walk out the door. Should you wind up going back out and looking for another car at a latter

day I wish you much better luck!

I am also anticipating a perfect maiden flight out in the front yard to check out your new 450, so don't let me down he he he he. I sure hope you get the opportunity to go to Orlando and see the Heli blowout and rub elbows with

old Bert Kammerer!

Sounds like you jumped right in and did which you had to do to stabilize and reinforce your wings after the extra surgery you performed. Wow, I am so sorry to hear the trials and tribulations you are having acquiring the paint.

Just a thought, did you look into Lowe's or Home Depot or Dunn Edwards to see if they would put color in a pressurized can? On my P 51 with both wings getting damaged in my light crashes (if there is such a thing) I believe I told

you I took 450 size helicopter boom struts and cut off the ends and then shove those inside the wing from the tip in CA glue and that really brought the wing tips rigid to the rest of the wing. I've also been thinking after learning about your

stripping of your Spitfire that I so hate that OD green that's on my P 51B I would really love to repaint it. I would love to paint mine silver like the standard P 51 seeing since I have to make the repairs on it from the last crash in Arizona.

Food for thought I'll tell you.

Will take care there Mr. Mark, it seems like you have a lot on your plate. As at old country sayin goes..... gedder done!

John

Last edited by JPEE; 11-29-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:49 AM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

Thanks for your suggestions on the tranny. I have to admit that I have never taken one apart - have always been a bit intimidated with all the work involved just to get into one (popping off the CV joint, hoisting the engine, jacking up the tranny and removing the engine and tranny to frame mounting bolts).

I did start off with some simple check offs - inspected the shift cables and took off the shift tower to take a look. Everything looks fine. I am expecting to find some loose metal somewhere b/c when its in any gear it sounds like someone put a few nuts in a glass cup and swirling it around. I also noticed the speedometer moves when its in any gear as if the car is moving although its not.

You mentioned shifting forks - are you talking between the gears or something on the clutch? I'm not really good with my tranny terminology.

Moving onward...

Mark

Name:	SAM_1445.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	3.45 MB
ID:	2051593   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1448.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	3.41 MB
ID:	2051594   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1450.JPG
Size:	3.59 MB
ID:	2051595  

Last edited by Aframomum; 12-02-2014 at 01:06 AM.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:06 PM
JPEE

Mark,

I had attached a link with pic's of shifting forks (now called "selector forks"). They are a Y shaped like opening up your first two finger like giving the peace sign with stem at the bottom. What they do is slide the moving gears that lock the main gears in place and you gain RPMS and then slide again to the next higher gear. I didn't consider your dealing with a front wheel drive YIKES, there is a lot more inside than the standard rear wheel drive. Also that the speedo shows up as if you are actually moving when you not shows that the trans is in some type of gear 1,2,3,4, R but the moving of the gears from the motor side to the trans drive side is not making it back to the trans-axles. With that said that sets my theory of a broken "selector fork" from being the offensive broken part. Something larger has to have had to snap it in-two sadly.

I think I would go to the transmission repair shop and ask for a loose quote on a rebuilt or replacement transmission. At this point with the that kind of damage that there "could/might" fine cracks in the case too inside that carries shafts? Not saying that there is but I think you are at a point that a tenured needs to look at this task. The case in the photo either has poor casting or it is been broken away it appears and........ the metal part within that opening looks different than the one below...bent?

John

LINK-1

LINK-2 Look down near the bottom and your see the picture/diagram showing the selector forks in an empty case.

Name:	SAM_1448-2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	2.58 MB
ID:	2051656  

Last edited by JPEE; 12-02-2014 at 12:44 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.