Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Super Sportster EP with Modified Power System

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Great Planes Super Sportster EP with Modified Power System

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 07:53 PM
mikedsilva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Super Sportster EP with Modified Power System

one thing i have found with electric powered planes, is that the ESC can cause a lot of interference to the Rx. In some cases, using a PCM Rx will help fix your problems. I almost always use a ferrite ring (choke) around the servo lead that connects the ESC to the receiver... this way, it helps to reduce any unwanted RF that may make its way from the ESC to the Rx.

Range test with the motor off, and then with the motor on. I was finding that without the ferrite bead/choke, i could only range test to a few metres with the motor on. Not good. However, just adding the choke gave me a normal range test.

Strange but it works.

I fly a Hotliner with an expensive Hacker motor, CC 125amp controller and a big money composite moulded airframe, so i have learned not to take chances!
Old 08-27-2006, 08:13 PM
dr_d_2k

Thanks for the advice. The choke indeed should help with noise. It won't add much weight and could only help.

I will add that this week. I range tested fine with the motor off. I haven't tried with it on. I will do that before I add the choke. this is my first electric and the learning curve is definitely there. I like the cleanness and quietness of electric. The wait on charges is a bit of a bummer. Gas is just cool, fuel and go. Then again I have to drive further to fly my gas and glow planes.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:11 PM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: dr_d_2k

Charley,

When I got back to the house I took the rx out and hooked a fresh battery and servo to it and it didn't even chirp. I took the crystal out of that rx and put it in another and still nothing. I haven't tried a different crystal in the 'bad' rx to see if that works. I had only been up about 5 minutes or so. The battery didn't take much to charge back to full. It seems like the tx or the crystal went. I didn't know crystals go bad. I haven't had a tx go bad either for that matter.

I haven't had any heat issues. The batteries are a cool warm after mostly 1/2 throttle flights with bursts of WOT. ESC is never really warm.

Have you cut any extra breather holes in the fuse. One of the guys at the field couldn't believe it was staying cool without extra exit holes.

Dave
Sounds like it could have been a radio failure. The trouble is that you don't know if you're looking at cause or effect of the crash. The only radio failure I have had was due to the switch harness developing "black wire" disease.

The only air exit holes in my fuse are the six stock ones behind the wing. I did cut a large hole in the center of the extra firewall that the motor is fastened to so that air could pass more easily through the motor and on back. Also, I had hogged out the hole in the original firewall so that the larger brushed motor would fit through it. So all my air hole mods are up front.

CR
Old 08-27-2006, 11:40 PM
Charley

ORIGINAL: mikedsilva

HOWEVER, my plane is REALLY nose heavy! My motor is lighter than the original, my battery is lighter than the original, however i am very noseheavy! i am sure that a read a few posts claiming the CG was spot on... how did they manage this?

i am thinking of relocating one or both servos to the tail to make up for the balance... what do you think?
Mine was noseheavy with the car motor/gearbox and a 9.6 volt NiMH A-cell battery in the stock location. I had to shove the battery all the way back to correct this. I embedded the aileron servo deeper into the wing for battery clearance.

With the outrunner and 3150 LiPo, I had to add 3/4 oz to the nose. I put three little 1/4 oz stick-on weights just behind the air intake of the cowl. The LiPo is a long skinny one and it's as far forward as I can get it.

I guess you have the batteries as far back as you can get them. How about taking one out? I suppose if all else fails there's room for the servos in the tail.

CR
Old 09-17-2006, 09:27 AM
rev321

Hi Carlos,
I have been reading all of your reports on the Supersportster EP, you sold me I ordered one from Tower and it has arrived. Now I am in the process of putting it together. This is the first time I ever bought an ARF, I must say it is well made.
Kenny ([email protected])
Old 09-18-2006, 10:30 AM
Charley

ORIGINAL: rev321

Hi Carlos,
I have been reading all of your reports on the Supersportster EP, you sold me I ordered one from Tower and it has arrived. Now I am in the process of putting it together. This is the first time I ever bought an ARF, I must say it is well made.
Kenny ([email protected])
What are you planning to power it with?

CR
Old 09-18-2006, 11:31 AM
Bobet

Hi Mike,
Finally got my Super Sport ready to fly, but when I range checked it, the control surfeses went wild at onlt twenty feet or so. What is aferrite ring (choke) that you mentionrd? And how does it work. I don't dare try to fly this plane as is.
Bob Murray
Old 09-27-2006, 01:24 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: chagolucho

Hi everyone, I've had gained so much experience now, im doing inverted flies, fast turns, rolls, hammerheads, etc, I just love it!!!! What a great f' plane!! Of course now I want some more power (who doesnt?) and came to this ebay seller :

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-300W-High-To...QQcmdZViewItem

Now the question, should I go for a 300watt or a 400watt outrunner brushless, and a motor that can take 35Amp may burn a 30Amp esc? ( Look at the brushless esc of the seller) And which props would you use for those motors, Im thinking in all of these with the stock batt (8.4v 2100mah).
I saw this post and couldn't resist.

I ordered the 400W version of the above with the 60AMP ESC from the same site.

I already have a bunch of Lipos with matching connectors so this was what I needed.

Can't beat the price.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:27 PM
Bobet

I finally got my GP Super Sportster finished and have made three flights with it. It is flying with the motor ESP and battery that came with it. It dosen't have a lot of power, but it will lift off the grass runway and loop and do a roll. I haven't made any long flights. Only.5 0r 6 minutes,, but I did check it on the ground with a full charge, I ran it 30 sec at full throttle and one minute at half throttle and kept this up till the motor stopped at about 13 minutes. I worked the controls while doing this. When the motor stopped, I closed the throttle then opened it and I would have had power to land. I'm pleased with the plane and may someday change to a brushless and Li-Po.
Bob Murray at Decatur, Ala.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:18 AM
Charley

ORIGINAL: Bobet

I finally got my GP Super Sportster finished and have made three flights with it. It is flying with the motor ESP and battery that came with it. It dosen't have a lot of power, but it will lift off the grass runway and loop and do a roll.

SNIP

I'm pleased with the plane and may someday change to a brushless and Li-Po.

Bob Murray at Decatur, Ala.
Glad you're happy with your SS EP. No one ever said the model wouldn't fly with the stock power system, it's just that most of us decided it was marginal. Any way you look at it, it really is a sweet flying model.

CR
Old 10-09-2006, 09:54 PM
opjose

guapoman:

I was trying to get the specs for the C-30 ESC included with the Electrifly kit.

I noticed that this ESC was once rated as one of the "silver" Electrifly ESC's... googling a bit I found that the ESC is actually rated to handle up to 12v.

See: http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ails/616039914

What does this mean?

Can you put a LiPo on it?
Old 10-17-2006, 10:28 AM
rsiaviation

Hello,
I have had my super sportster for about a year now. I have a great planes T-600 motor and gearbox, would that be worth putting in the plane? I have also been looking at a brushless setup with lipo batteries. I want to have more than a 1-1 thrust ratio just because. I have been loking at electrifly's new brushless motors and I think that would be a cheap way to get the performance I want. If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appriciated.

Rsiaviation
Old 10-17-2006, 10:56 AM
opjose

While I purchased the Electrifly combination (mistake), after I saw the post about E-bay I ran accross this

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...27&pid=W392031

This is EXACTLY the same motor I picked up off of Ebay but it includes the mount.

This is what I am going to put into my SS.

I am currently working on it so I haven't gotten to installing the new motor.

It should have more than enough power with 2 2200mAh LiPo 11v batteries in parallel (4400mAh) and a 60 amp ESC.

This is MUCH cheaper than the E-Flite equivalents.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:02 PM
Charley

ORIGINAL: rsiaviation

Hello,
I have had my super sportster for about a year now. I have a great planes T-600 motor and gearbox, would that be worth putting in the plane? I have also been looking at a brushless setup with lipo batteries. I want to have more than a 1-1 thrust ratio just because. I have been loking at electrifly's new brushless motors and I think that would be a cheap way to get the performance I want. If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appriciated.

Rsiaviation
I tried the T-600 and gearbox. There was more power than the stock setup but not that much. Not worth the trouble, IMO. I finally went to a Hyperion 3013 brushless, 45 amp SC and 3150 3s lipo. The model jumps off the ground and has unlimited verticle with this setup.

CR
Old 10-18-2006, 03:35 PM
opjose

I also purchased the T-600 w/ESC, and decided not to install it after seeing the post about the 300/400 watt motor.

What can I do now with the T-600 and associated hardware including batteries.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Is there anything I can put it into and get decent performance?

Old 10-19-2006, 07:06 AM
rsiaviation

Opjose,
My T-600 was for a 2m glider and for that application it worked great. I had a carl golberg sophisticated lady that I put the T-600 in the nose of. Unfortunatley the tail was too weak and I didn't have a folding prop. So on my last planned landing the prop hit the mud in just the right way so that it pivoted around the prop doing ten mph. So a good use for your T-600 would be a glider of that size but I had 1100mah nicad batteries so I don't know if your batterys would fit.

Or what I am going to do what I was planning to do to mine, which is build a plane for that motor. I am currently trying to build a hot wire with my dad so I can cut out foam wings and tail sections.

So today I the weather is nice I am going to fly my sportster for the first time in 6 months. I fly with an older gentleman whom I am trying to help him learn to fly.

Rsiaviation
Old 11-04-2007, 11:34 PM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Chinese bought Brushless Inrunner Motor known as the Quannum 36-55 Drive and I will use my Experimentational model that has flown for over 120 Flights using various Brushed motors. (Update....had to go with a new airframe as my beloved original Super Sportster EP took a dunk in the lake and was pretty busted up, the only thing that was saved was her tail feathers and were salvaged to the new airframe!)

I will of course provide real world data via measurements from my Astro Flight WATT Meter and propeller RPM Tach and of course provide flight performance and battery strain using this 1350Kv motor.

Here's some Data on the motor:
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Item title: Brushless Motor Quannum 36x60mm 1350Kv 5mm Shaft
Web Address: United Hobbies ---> On order for re-stocking soon!
Item number: 270016349876
Buyer User ID: guapoman2000
Seller User ID: hobbykoala<----Vendor at eBay
Your total: $47.27 <---incluing shipping from China!

I just came back from my Mail Box and it was there waiting for me!

Just take a look at the wonder Motor with Connectors already on the 3 phase wires!!!

I should have ordered more but, this one was the last one at the eBay!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93652.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	797295   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91719.jpg
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	797296   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33349.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	797297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc86045.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	797298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq89429.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	797299   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hy34275.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	797300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nm42782.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	797302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki79089.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	797303  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Iu90640.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	797304   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg39394.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	797305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd23705.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	797306  
Attached Images  
Old 11-04-2007, 11:35 PM
guapoman2000

First off, thank you Adam Giles for sending me your spare (Left over) Sportster EP FUSE so, I could rebuild my pride and joy!

Brushless Motor Quannum 36x55mm 1350Kv 5mm Shaft Brushless Inrunner swinging the APC "Sport" 9 X 9 propeller and Apex 2000mAH, 12C, Li-POLY in the 3S2P configuration; Castle Creation PHX-45 AMP brushless ESC, Hitec HS-81's STD for Rudder / Elevator and HS-81MG for ailerons.

3/4 Throttle: 32.8 Amps @ 289 Watts @ 9 Volts

Full Throttle: 40 Amps @ 360 Watts @ 8.7 Volts

I am sure that if I used my Thunder Power Pro-Lites the Amp draw would increase and so would the Under Load Voltage from the Battery pack!
Old 11-04-2007, 11:39 PM
guapoman2000

I believe that I have found a “new” meaning of SPEED…..today after many people came and left at Moon Port Modelers RC Club in Titusville, Florida and then, I took advantage to take out my semi-grade commercial Echo 2-cycle weed eater and allowed to cut some tall stalks of weeds and made a nice runway path for my Super Sportster EP near the orange netting to about 25 feet inward width wise into the field as the wind was coming perpendicular to the width of the field runway run.

I carefully setup my Sportster by unscrewing the canopy and inserting my Garmin geho 201 GPS model using Velcro for securing. Then, I setup the video camcorder at the side end of the field nearest to the storage shed and to have a downward wide view of the field. I then, connected the parallel harness to my two, (2) TP-2100mAH, 3-Cell, 15C, Li-POLY. This makes 4200mAH total and be able to withstand the 38 AMP draw of the power system.

I had to take her off in the path I made using my weed eater and pointed her directly West as this was the direction of the wind and width wise of the field. She leaped off the ground in about 15 feet and quickly and exponentially gained airspeed using that APC “Sport” 9X 9 propeller!

I never reached ¾ throttle and forget Full Throttle….at one point the battery cover came off the FUSE directly over the field during one fast pass and this cover has very strong magnets!! I continued flying the model but, with reduced airspeed and decided to land her as I have obtained what I was looking for in Video capture and measured GPS top speed.

TOP SPEED: 85 MPH without making any loops or high alpha downward turns!

I suspect that this model can easily fly right at 90 MPH assuming the Battery cover is taped securely for the "Next" flight!

However, considering that I have just too many "Other" projects in Que, I am going to place this nice and super FAST RC "Electric" model on the shelf for a while......

Name:	Qn38272.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	797307   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98297.jpg
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	797308   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22838.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	797309   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh13839.jpg
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	797310   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vh56483.jpg
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	797311   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wn85936.jpg
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	797312   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ik91016.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	797313  
Old 11-04-2007, 11:41 PM
guapoman2000

Here's the VIDEO of today's SPEED DEMON!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pfO5hAncyM
Old 11-07-2007, 06:26 AM
guapoman2000

I have at least two Video footage of my Super Sportster EP hauling the mail this morning. The take off on the very first flight was not what I expected but, I can point to someone having their Transmitter still “ON” and my willingness to take off my Thunder Power Pro-Lites from the Triton charger before it gave me a complete charge cycle and one of the packs were slightly off it’s voltage comparing it to the “other” pack.

As you all can imagine this very nice older gentleman came to fly and had the same FM Frequency channel as I did. I kindly asked if he was done flying as I just wanted 5 minutes to fly my Sportster EP so, it could be captured with my Video camcorder and he yielded by taking off his Club Identification off the board but, failed to check and see if he turned “OFF” his transmitter. Gerry captured at least three instances where I had to struggle and keep this very fast RC Model from crashing into those at the pitts area as I got close to for a low and fast pass the receiver started to noticed his signal. Fortunately he stored his Transmitter inside his car with the Antenna down. I landed it quickly and the approach was very scary at best as the model started to glitch nose first into the ground and again I struggled to regain control and it landed with wings leveled and settled down an it’s mains without any further incident.

I am in the process of going out to run and make a couple of errands so, I will keep this short for now and allow my computer to download the video and I will return with the rest of the adventures from this morning at the club.

Here’s a couple of pictures showing my latest TOP SPEED RECORD: 89.5 MPH !! Using Gerry’s 3-Cell, 4350mAH, Poly Quest 4350mAH, 20C, Li-POLY that he bought used for $75.00 !!

Name:	Pn35616.jpg
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	798744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24525.jpg
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	798745   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92217.jpg
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	798746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au57321.jpg
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	798747   Click image for larger version

Name:	It99138.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	798748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ev23659.jpg
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	798749  
Old 11-07-2007, 06:27 AM
guapoman2000

First Flight of my Sportster EP while someone had their Tranmitter turned "ON" using the same channel frequency!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1tPS2J8CCs
Old 11-07-2007, 06:29 AM
guapoman2000

2nd flight of my Sportster EP with a more relaxed manner and good airspeed. That day my model attained 89.5 MPH using Gerry's 3-cell, POLY QUEST 4350mAH, 20C discharge, Li-POLY!

Here's the Video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt5SbeZnnN0
Old 11-07-2007, 07:24 PM
opjose

Looks like I'm going to have to try a higher pitch prop...

I've been using 9x6 and 10x7's.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:53 AM
guapoman2000

Hi guys...

I am up super early this morning (4:30am) to charge some batteries and work on a few models and in doing so I went ahead and changed out the propeller on my Super Sportster EP from the APC "Sport" 9X9 to the APC "Sport" 9X8 propeller.

I believe that in the past week or so, I have demonstrated that my Sportster EP is capable of speeds in excess of 89+ MPH In doing so, I have seen in other threads warnings and recommendations to re-enforce the Horizontal Stabilizer with carbon rod or other methods as a few has had failures by one side ripping upwards from the leading edge.

My model is flying with re-used tail feathers from my first (Original Sportster EP) that I had to get the FUSE thrown away as it had two major crashes and did not feel it was safe to fly. However, I did carefully take out the Horizontal and Vertical (with Elevator and Rudder) out from the Old FUSE and transferred them to the new FUSE. I carefully inspected both stabs and control surfaces and did not find "any" cracks nor indications of hairline cracks to indicate I need any kind of re-enforcement.

I believe that the thickness for the stabs are good amount and with care there is no need for any re-enforcement but, of course this needs to be assess in a case-by-case situation as NOT ALL Models are constructed with the same wood and perhaps person in China.

The main reason for changing out the Propeller is to allow for more spin at the Propeller with less PITCH and allow those AMPs to be reduced as I am very familiar with the capabilities of the APC "Sport" 9X8 as my First Sportster EP flew with this propeller on the Modified geared Brushed Endoplasma 16-Turn power system and topped a maximum level speed of 74.6MPH.

With the Quannum 36-55, a hefty speed of 80 - 85 is just enough for my taste and anything else pass this is just too much for this airframe.

Have FUN and most importantly stay Safe!

Carlos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.