Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Sig LT-25 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 05:05 PM
Tailspin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sig LT-25 conversion

I have a Sig LT-25 trainer that I am thinking about converting to electric power.I have heard that this is a popular conversion and is fairly easy to do but I am not quite sure which motor,gearbox,ESC,battery etc. would be best to use for general sport flying.Could anyone out there point me in the right direction?
Old 01-08-2002, 02:25 PM
Rod
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tailspin, I have been flying my LT - 25 for three years now on electric power. It is built pretty well as a stock LT. I have used a MEC Turbo 10 + with a 6:1 MEC gear box on 10 cells. Also have tried out an Astro 05G FAI (std. 2.38:1) on 10 cells (too much battery). I find that the MEC T 10 + with 10 Panasonic 3000mah NiMH cells driving an 11 x 7 MAS Electric prop is the best all round combination. I have used a 12 x 8 MAS E prop on the MEC, and while performance is a little better, battery consumption goes way up. With this combo mine weighs 80 oz.
A frienf has flown his LT-25 on a Magnetic Mayhem with a 3:1 MAS gear box and 2200 NiMH (Radio Shack) batteries. It flies fine with a little lesss performance than my MEC T 10 +.
I have seen the LT fly on a MEC GT, Aveox 1409 --belt drive and a number of other 250 and up watt motors.
The LT does not need a lot of power to fly it, unless you want to try and make it into a quasi Aerobatic type (which it is not).
Somewhere on the Web I have seen one powered with a Hacker Brushless, and vertical takeoffs were the order of the day. The LT is a draggy type of model and flown as a Trainer type with basic stunt manoevers is a great plane.
Old 01-08-2002, 08:22 PM
Tailspin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks for the info

Your friends set-up with the Magnetic Mayhem and MAS gearbox sounds like an economical way to get started since I already have the gearbox(I think it's 3/1 but I'll have to find it and check.)Should I get the "reverse"version of the motor to use with a gearbox?Is your friend also using 10 cells and 11-7 prop?Also what size ESC would work with this combo?Thanks again for your help.
Steve
Old 01-09-2002, 02:30 PM
Rod
My Feedback: (1)

Steve, Yes my friends LT - 25 uses 10 cells (2200 mah Radio Shack Nicads) and an 11 x 7 prop.
If you use a Magnetic Mayhem you must use the M M Reverse when connecting it to a gear box.
If you do not have a motor, take a look at the other Kyosho motorss in the same series - the Kyosho Atomic Force and the Endoplasma. They are lower wind motors and require a higher gearing than the Magnetic Mayhem --- Great Planes makes an economical box that will fit.
Old 01-10-2002, 08:54 PM
Joel Shreenan

Default Great LT-25 Article

Tailspin: For a really great article about converting the Sig LT-25 go to http://www.ezonemag.com/articles/199...5/sig_lt25.htm

Another good site I came across for descriptions of glow conversions is http://members.aol.com/kmyersefo/page385.htm

Best regards..js