Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Electro Streak

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 03:51 AM
L48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electro Streak

Trying to get into elect. Is the Great Planes Electro Streak any good?
Old 01-31-2003, 08:15 AM
darenm
My Feedback: (2)

Default Electro Streak

The Electro Streak is a great plane. However if you've never flown RC Planes before i would have to suggest something a little milder! Check out the Electric Beginners Forum, read the First Post. If your coming over from the Glow side of the house then you should do fine with this bird. Good Luck!
Old 01-31-2003, 03:32 PM
GeraldO

Default Electro Streak

The cheap stock motor that comes with the Electrostreak is a dog. After you get bored with it quickly, try a nice higher powered quality motor to get the most out of this potentially fun airframe.
Old 01-31-2003, 03:55 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default ElectroStreak stock motor

GO:
Originally posted by GeraldO
The cheap stock motor that comes with the Electrostreak is a dog.
I am pleased with my (kit) ElectroStreak. It lasted about five years with nothing worse than the occasional scratched prop.

Then I had an aileron hinge failure - it was a tape hinge. Still just minor damage. Repaired the plane and put a bright shiny new CEM-0506 cobalt motor in it.

With a seven cell battery it was a lot more power than needed, I put the can motor back in.

I should add, however, that the can motor is not a stock 550. With the stock motor and six cells, yes, it isn't a demanding airplane.

Can motors can be retimed. With seven cells and about 18 degrees advance on the 550 motor this airplane really comes alive, and still has good endurance.

With the cobalt motor it went like the hammers, but it seemed like it was just up, and then down for a battery change/recharge.

The retimed 550 is, IMO, the best all-round power for the plane.

Cobalt motor? Rocket ship.
. Flight time? It'll slip.

Bill.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:58 PM
GeraldO

Default Electro Streak

Bill, the stock motor (Goldfire) is just a plain 550/600 class motor, nothing special about it. It has plain bronze bushings and small brushes. You can putt around just fine with this motor.

Batteries have come a long way in the 5 years since you've had your e-streak. You can have longer duration AND greater performance.

A cheap upgrade motor would be a Kyosho Atomic Force 17T. This is a fully timing adjustable motor with very large brushes and ball bearings for about $20. It lighter than the stock motor and will bolt right in. Runs great on 6 or 7 cell packs. You will need a higher current ESC than the one that comes with the e-streak ARF kit though.

I used to fly mine with a CEM FAI15 motor on 8 2400 cells. Fast and good long duration (8 minutes typical). If you want to go slower and stretch the duration that's what the throttle is for .

For the best of all worlds, a quality brushless motor will extend flight time and give higher performance at the same time.
Old 02-01-2003, 01:56 AM
William Robison

Default Electro Streak

Gerry O:
Originally posted by GeraldO
Bill, the stock motor (Goldfire) is just a plain 550/600 class motor, nothing special about it. It has plain bronze bushings and small brushes. You can putt around just fine with this motor.
Please note: I said retimed. Plenty of power then. And while it will putt around, it also has the power to go vertical. Granted, not far, but vertical, yes.
Batteries have come a long way in the 5 years since you've had your e-streak. You can have longer duration AND greater performance.
And I have bought more batteries in the five years I've had the E-Streak. And more E-planes. And more motors.
A cheap upgrade motor would be a Kyosho Atomic Force 17T. This is a fully timing adjustable motor with very large brushes and ball bearings for about $20. It lighter than the stock motor and will bolt right in. Runs great on 6 or 7 cell packs. You will need a higher current ESC than the one that comes with the e-streak ARF kit though.
My very first electric, a Liesure "Wasp," still flying after seven years, uses an Astro 05 motor. Except for a Norvel "Folding Flyer" with a geared 280 motor, all my E-craft have Astro 215D ESC's up to 8 cells, higher cell counts use the Astro 217D. And except for the geared 280 I have never bought a can motor for flight use that was not included in a kit.
I used to fly mine with a CEM FAI15 motor on 8 2400 cells. Fast and good long duration (8 minutes typical). If you want to go slower and stretch the duration that's what the throttle is for .
As I said earlier in this thread, I had the CEM 0506 cobalt motor in it, didn't use the power. That's why I put the can back in.
For the best of all worlds, a quality brushless motor will extend flight time and give higher performance at the same time.
My main attention is on piston twins, have yet to try a brushless motor. I've been really impressed with Steve Rojecki and his Hacker powered airplanes, though.

Small plane, electric does very well.
. big plane, cost goes up like H...

Bill
Old 02-01-2003, 02:07 AM
GeraldO

Default Electro Streak

Bill, there's room for all kinds. To me the clean e-streak airframe just begs for SPEED!

Here's a couple of my twins:
http://bellsouthpwp.net/g/e/geraldod/beaufighter.html
http://bellsouthpwp.net/g/e/geraldod/p-38.html
Old 02-01-2003, 02:51 AM
L48

Default Electro Streak

Thanks guys, sounds like what I am looking for. Yes I did and still am on the glow fuel side of flight. Elect. look like something I can fly at a park close by, don't have to go to the flying field all the time.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:52 AM
William Robison

Default Electro Streak

Ger:

The Beaufighter looks good, but your '38 will be awesome. Can you really hit your weight goal with that many servos and retracts?

You're not far from the Cumberland Gap. you might like to zip over there and look at the "Glacier Girl." You could model that one, but you'd have to change the nacelles to the early type, and losing the air inlets might lead to motor overheating. So maybe you could have your '38d dolled up in the markings of the '38b, and just say somebody printed the version letter backwards. Haw.

Again, I'm happy with the retimed can in the E-Streak. Speed? How about 80mph? In a dive, granted, but it's more than fast enough.

And five minutes at a time is long enough, thank you.

Electro-flight's real plus -
. No clean-up, no muss.

Bill.