Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Air Hogs Aero Ace!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 08:45 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Air Hogs Aero Ace!

Guys, the battery recall is due to a bad machine in the manu process. I was getting ready to put a charge post on a new plane(purchased 6 months ago) and the machine looks like it may have broken the cell, but not the foil covering. This is my theory anyway. Tim
Old 05-08-2007, 08:08 PM
theyellowdartmti

I just got back from my local Wal-Mart and noticed what seemed to be a new version of the Aero-Ace. It was a single wing plane that had looks similar to a real life glider. I'm not sure if this is new news to anybody but I've been looking for information and pictures on it and haven't been able to find a thing.

Has anyone seen it? Sorry if this is old news.

-matt
Old 05-08-2007, 08:55 PM
mgt guy24

i have 1 i'v had for a week and it has well over 30 flight but today i broke a prop any no where i can get replacments? i was gonna try flyzone micro ultrix props
Old 05-08-2007, 09:06 PM
mgt guy24

wat are some mods i can do every 1 is talking about wing mods and stuff and iv never herd of mods for this plane
Old 05-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Patsy2shoes

Hi Guys
I have been finding the Aero Ace BiPlane in the Toys R Us locally and have bought up several for my self and my Grandson.
I was looking at the Air Hogs web site and they are no longer lsiuting them under their products.
Can this mean they have discontinued them?
If so it would be a bad move for us guys who are so serious about them.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:35 AM
RetiredRoadThunder

Yeah thanks ferndale. I made new tail fins from foam plates, and purposly made them larger than stock, and added some flare, the rudder looks like a shark fin or something. They work to good, it climbs a lot faster than before (even got one back flip out of them), and the wobble was gone, I was able to pin the rudder all the way over and just circle for abit. Had a guy come and watch it for awhile, I think he went and bought one after, lol.
I was wondering if I could take the braces between the two wings out and still fly similar? Or do they really keep the wings from flapping to much? I'm trying to shed some weight so I can add some landing gear to it, the tail end wheel from a slow stick might be light enough. or maybe some hot wheel wheels, there's not really much of a road here to land on anyway mostly mostly gravel, I just want to take off from the ground, my usual landings are just trying a low level stunt and crashing.

Also the lower wings had deep cuts in them, the props must be hitting them in crashes, I put some packing tape there.

Today it flew horrible, not sure why I added tape to the wings to protect them, but took those off when it started flying bad, still didn't fly so good, but long story short it got blown into the blades of a Slow Stick, was a spectacular crash, I'm hoping it's rebuildable, it tore the tail fins off, and got some nasty road rash across the tops of the wings, and broke a wing brace. I fixed the brace, and building new tail fins now. If it doesn't fly right after that I was thinking of takeing the bottom wings off and adding them to the top and then buy a new jet and/or another bi-wing and maybe the Eagle wing plane to have three channels.

I just fixed my bi-wing, I'll test fly it tomorrow, I heard there was a way to increase the range? Was it just by adding thin guage wire to the antenna on the plane? Right now it's just sticking up in front of the rudder, or laying down along one side of the rudder.

Anyone have any experince with the Eagle wing Aero ace? is it like a happy medium between the jet's speed and the bi-wing's manuverablity? I seen one called the "Red Hawk" too looks like a new design of an aero ace.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:50 PM
skunkworks2006

Here's an update on my A-10 build.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1539
Old 05-09-2007, 04:50 PM
Garrett1234567

which AA would you recomend, the bipe, single wing or jet, i got the jet but it seems pretty slow in response, its ch A. Anyway just wondered what you guys would recomend.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:53 PM
ehelibuff

I have a few, and I noticed some respond fast, some slow. I think the tuning isnt matched the best with these. I returned one AA jet cause it had no range. The next was great. both on A. Depends on the luck of the draw. If you move the C/G foward, it'll fly smoother, but slower response in turning. The shorter planes are more snappy. From what i've found at least. I have nearly all of them.

Eric
Old 05-09-2007, 05:24 PM
Garrett1234567

Getting ready to take mine back now. It looses range at about 25-30 feet. Im thinking of getting the XPV, my neighbor has a mini xpv that flies awsome. Do you know anything about the full size xpv?
Old 05-09-2007, 05:30 PM
ehelibuff

I have a friend that has one and his flies really well! That's all I know. I've been wanting one also..

Well, just return yours and tell them whats happening. Get another and do a range chk with ant down right there. Should get 25-30ft with antenna down. Mine did the same, then it got worse and had 1 ft. Like something went in the TX. Just swap it. If it's new, and you have the reciept, and box then you should be ok. I had no box, or reciept at Target, but they did a ref chk on my credit card to prove it. They helped me no prob.

Eric
Old 05-09-2007, 05:48 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

MGT, check out the aeroace mods thread.

RRT, what is the eagle wing aa?

Garret, I think the bipe is far and away the best of the lot. When you get tired of slow flying you can start moddigg it. A channel has a problem, b and c channels are ok. I prefer channel c.

Cool plane, Skunkworks

Tim
Old 05-09-2007, 05:57 PM
ehelibuff

When you say prob on A channel, you refer to ALL AA's on A? I noticed all T tailed canard AA's as mine are on ch:A.

Does it depend where we are located, and maybe prone to RF noise?

Eric
Old 05-09-2007, 10:32 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Eric, I have not found a good a channel yet. I have a turbo fury and I switched it to channel c. A channel is thready sometimes the signal gets through fine, other times it doesn't get through. For an rc plane that is unacceptable. The reason I refer to all AA's is because th rx is the same on all AA's. I'll think about making a super a out of my fury.

Someone asked if Bipes were gone from the aeroace lineup. I would recommend calling the spinmaster customer service line if you are worried about the Bipe. I sent an E-mail about the lack of bipe availability and got no response.

Tim
Old 05-10-2007, 01:06 AM
RetiredRoadThunder

when I got my bipe there were 3 bi-wings there(not couting the Dominator and Red hawk), then only one Eagle/sport Aero ace (The one with just one wing, decals are of eagle wings usually) and a whole rack of Jets (three different Decal options). I looked on youtube and couldn't find any with the single wing flying, the jet looks like it flies pretty good from what I've seen. Just takes more space and nose dives easier.

I'd like to get the other two AAs so I can have some dog fights, I was hopeing none of them are significantly worse than the bipe.

Does shortening the tail stem make it turn sharper? Any down sides? I was going to switch to a soda straw and take the braces out and use a stir stick in it's place to loose weight, and I was going to go to the hobby store and look for some tiny wheels made of foam. Or the little rubber wheels from the slot cars could work. A stir stick might me strong enough to be an axle.

I flew mine today, it was windy but I think it's working alright, even after being torn up by a prop the size of itself.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:03 PM
Djstinger

HI ALL, I just wanted to say that the MXPV is my new #1, its the 1st one I fly when I get a chance. I took all the stickers OFF and ran the ant. wire down left side, till it flew flat. I am also charging it with my AA Tx with 8 cells, it has alot more thrust for the first couple of minutes and slightly longer flight time. I will be installing wheels and lights soon, I know I can get this thing to ROG...
Old 05-10-2007, 12:47 PM
ahaacobbler

ORIGINAL: Djstinger

HI ALL, I just wanted to say that the MXPV is my new #1, its the 1st one I fly when I get a chance. I took all the stickers OFF and ran the ant. wire down left side, till it flew flat. I am also charging it with my AA Tx with 8 cells, it has alot more thrust for the first couple of minutes and slightly longer flight time. I will be installing wheels and lights soon, I know I can get this thing to ROG...
I should probably give it another chance. The one that I had just kept flying in circles, and there aren't a lot of easy options for trimming that airframe.

I picked up the Estes Sky Ranger for $18 last week at K-Mart and it has become a real interest for me. You can see some photos here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=627680 I am not ready to say that I like it better than the ace, but it is definitely fun to fly. When I opened the box and read the instructions, I thought that maybe I should just return it. The t/x has a timer on it, which cuts power to the plane after 2 minutes. Instead of having a voltage meter - cut-off circuit to save the Lipo, you just fly it for 5 2-minute flights and them charge the battery. Also the controller has an anti-over-turning feature which stops the turn input if it is held for more than a second or so. These 2 features along with the brittle foam used ont he body was enough to almost convince me that this plane was total crap. Eventually, I decided, that since I already have it, I might as well at least give it a try before taking it back.

All of those undesireable characteristics are still a problem, but this thing really flys. It handles wind better than anything else I have tried in this class of planes. It also has single prop control when the throttle is off - not just one faster than the other. taking the plane up and then giving a no throttle turn throws the pane in to a fast dive from which it is easy to pull off a loop.

I have only had it out for 2 sessions so far, but I have been having a lot of fun with it. It definitely flys differntly than any AH product.

It also comes with a spare set of props which are counter rotating. I have yet to try these on an AA, but they may be a good replacement option.

You definitely want to keep this one off the concrete. The one landing that I made of the grass took a chunk of foam out of the belly and knocked the prop right off the shaft. The prop is just fine, but note that there is almost no friction holding the props on. Make sure you gather up the props after a prop strike.

I need to get out my calipers and check the motors but they seem like they are smaller diameter than the AA, yet the plane is much faster. maybe it has something to do with the prop shape. Anyway, I think if nothing else, this plane is great fun and then provides some interesting spare parts.

Cobbler
Old 05-10-2007, 05:22 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Estes want to send me one, I guess I'll take them up on the offer.

I've been on the lookout for a mxpv.

Tim
Old 05-10-2007, 06:03 PM
ahaacobbler

One more session with the Estes ranger and the plastic nose is stating to splinter. It is also turning constantly in one direction pretty hard. Maybe I needed to wear in the brushes on the motors at a slow speed.

Anyway, the ranger is nowhere near as durable as the AHAA.

Cobbler.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:58 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Cobbler, slow?[X(] Is that legal? When I finish the paper work and send my corsair back and a month later get a ranger I'll measure the motor. I'm wondering if it is one of the 4 ohm motors we were talking about earlier. The quest for motors has stalled. BSD will order me some 6 ohm motors, I just have to get back to them.
\
Tim
Old 05-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Neurotex

skunkworks, the A-10 looks pretty cool!
Glad it flys good too!
Old 05-10-2007, 08:38 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Mike, It was very nice to meet you today I'm sorry Terry wasn't able to come. Shoot me the e-mail when you go fly your wings, if I can get there, I will. As I thought about our visit there were a couple of things that I think I didn't make clear. As these are questions others might have I thought I would address them here.

Charging from a lipo charger gives you an extra 0.4v, from the base charger you get 3.8, from a lipo charger you get 4.2v. While flight times might be similar, the flight profiles are different. You have much more power with a lipo charger. You also wear out batteries faster.

Wheels: Where to get wheels is a regular question. I buy hot wheels cars and drill the rivet out and use those.

Tim
Old 05-10-2007, 09:43 PM
drypipe

Thinking about the Air Hog's Aero Ace to play around with for fun. Is this a three ch. plane with rudder and elevator control, or is it just thrust vectoring for steering control like Megatech's X-Ec Diversion? Also, I appeaes that wal-mart is selling a mono wing instead of the bi-wing version ? What is the flight performance between the two?
Old 05-10-2007, 09:59 PM
Patsy2shoes

Hi Guys
I was concerned that Spinmaster may have stopped manufacturing the Aero Ace Bi plane because they no longer feature it on their web site. I called their 800 number and the person assurd me the Bi-plane is still being produced.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:17 PM
drypipe

I just went on ToysR'Us web. It appears that they still carry the bi-winged version. I have not yet purchased one yet. Are they two or three ch.( with rudder and elevator control?).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.