Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Caelus New F3A design by Top RC Model

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 12:16 PM
nappyroots2182
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any changes from the v2 to the newest batch? I get mine anyday. Any tips I should know?
Old 11-19-2018, 02:09 PM
mgosson
My Feedback: (8)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The only change is the color scheme. With that said I might suggest you reinforce the internal landing gear block and or read the Etude mod I did or the Caelus build.
if you're running a Himax motor bye the firewall from Mike, it will save you hours of fab time. Also, the Gator battery tray works much better and gives the opportunity to get the CG right. This IS the last step you perform before flying.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:28 PM
nappyroots2182

I got the firewall coming . Have a gator tray from another project I might use. I see allot of you bringing your batteries way back to get ch right. What is a good starting cg, so I don't have to move my battery tray once installed. Can't wait.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:33 PM
big_G

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by nappyroots2182
I got the firewall coming . Have a gator tray from another project I might use. I see allot of you bringing your batteries way back to get ch right. What is a good starting cg, so I don't have to move my battery tray once installed. Can't wait.
I ended up at the rear edge of the wing tube.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:37 PM
mgosson

I would highly recommend you add a carbon fiber rod to the interior of the fuselage,past the vent holes. The you see here was the last one I did for a friend. The plane was transported to Syracuse NY this past summer and from 1" behind the carbon rod to 12" back, the fuselage was badly damaged and now requires me to repair it. It's pretty fragile and the carbon rod weighs nothing.

If you look at the where the battery tray is placed in the fuselage, with Thunder Power 5S, 4400 pack the plane balances with the batteries in the middle of the tray.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:57 AM
nappyroots2182

Got the plane last nite . Overall not bad for the money. Hinges don't line up. And Axles have almost no threads in them so I got some dubros axles . The hinges are about a half hole off and drilled crocked. I spent some time and got them straighter . A former and one Rib need reglued. I'll post back once I get farther .It'll be a show build for me
Old 11-25-2018, 12:32 PM
nappyroots2182

Almost done with the build. Waiting on new turn buckles as the stock ones had to much chrome on them so the threads were filled. With mini servos in the tail, a heavier motor then it calls for, and 12s 5000 packs I'm still slightly tail heavy. I hope it flys better then it builds
Old 12-09-2018, 02:33 PM
nappyroots2182

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=QOImJMM9Igg
Old 12-26-2018, 10:59 AM
nappyroots2182

Pulled the CG back to 225mm. Flys very neutral and crisp now. Time to hang it up for the winter

Last edited by nappyroots2182; 12-26-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:01 AM
nappyroots2182

Old 07-19-2020, 11:02 PM
ehsanmorshedi

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

does any one have the user’s manual PDF of caelus?

I purchased this plane 3 years ago
came out of the box
but not fully assembled

now I’m planning to assemble it but have lost the manual.

Ehsan
Old 07-19-2020, 11:09 PM
ehsanmorshedi

Old 07-19-2020, 11:19 PM
DRC1
My Feedback: (10)

Originally Posted by ehsanmorshedi
does any one have the user’s manual PDF of caelus?

I purchased this plane 3 years ago
came out of the box
but not fully assembled

now I’m planning to assemble it but have lost the manual.

Ehsan
Most if what you need is in this thread.

Contact Mike at F3A Unlimited. He can help answer any questions you might have. He may have a manual.

Good luck, Its a good flying plane.
Old 07-20-2020, 04:39 AM
mgosson

Here's a link to the manual: 170 Pattern Caelus - Pattern F3A - TopRCModel SCALE WARBIRDS,JET, PATTERN, BOATS & MULTIROTOR scroll down and you will see "download manual"
The following users liked this post:
ehsanmorshedi (07-20-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 05:58 AM
radams11

Thx
Old 07-20-2020, 10:51 AM
ehsanmorshedi

Originally Posted by mgosson
Here's a link to the manual: 170 Pattern Caelus - Pattern F3A - TopRCModel SCALE WARBIRDS,JET, PATTERN, BOATS & MULTIROTOR scroll down and you will see "download manual"
thanks
Downloaded the instruction
Old 02-26-2021, 10:45 AM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Great forum thread guys! I know it has tapered off to nothing but for me this is "breaking news"! I received my new Caelus a couple of weeks ago. First I read the RCG forum which was a mistake, one of those threads polluted by a bad apple poster IMHO. Then this thread which is chock full of great information and sharing that most of us enjoy. Lots of good info here.

I have had the initial look over and the finish is very nice, The internal glue joints look very good. Amazing quality. Unfortunately both ailerons are warped, about 2mm at each tip and in such a way that they will combine to roll the aircraft. So if there is any way to safely work that out please let me know as on my own I would be afraid to try it!

I'll be re using the components from a 2m Acuity. A Himax 6330 with Mike's rear mount firewall, Jeti Mezon 90 Lite ESC, Futaba BLS171SV and BLS173SV servos.
I do have a question about powering the system as I have lost faith in the Jeti DSM ESC that was installed in the Acuity. The system used the ESC BEC to power the servos, and that was backed up by a 2s LiPo via the DSM ESC (which has a mag switch). Unfortunately the Acuity augered in after loss of signal on short final. I returned the Powerbox CORE Tx and PB Rx for inspection after the crash and they could find nothing wrong but the flight log showed total power loss, as if the ESC stopped powering the Rx but the DSM did not take over. Until after the crash that is! Now everything works fine again on the bench. But I don't trust it now. Mike at F3A Unlimited had a clever solution to simply plug a backup pack into the Rx after powered up via the ESC and removing it before shut down, light and simple. I also have other battery back up systems I can use with the Jeti ESC. Or I can use a powerbox switch with dual Lipo batteries and not even use the Jeti ESC BEC. With the "one latch" canopy system on the Caelus I don't want to put any holes in the fuselage. Any advice here would be appreciated.

My main takeaways from this thread are as follows:
Reinforce battery tray and gear mount area as necessary, adding as little weight as possible.
Consider mounting rudder servo in tail to make battery placement for CG easier to achieve.
Dial in incidences to start. Expect Tcan to be way off fuselage platform. Wing + .7, Tcan + .3, stab 0 CG aft edge wing tube to 1/2" back from there. It seems everyone has different sweet spot.
Possibly need to work on CF gear legs. On mine there are only two screws each, obviously this could allow rocking of gear fore aft to create wear. What do you think?
And finally those warped ailerons. When trimmed for level flight should I be OK or is that always going to cause problems? I don't have enough experience with pattern flying here.

Although I hope to hear from Caelus owners I gotta love a thread where no one has much to say, because they are all out flying and enjoying their awesome airplane!
Old 02-26-2021, 12:05 PM
mtcarey
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rudder servo moved to the rear for CG.

Old 02-26-2021, 12:05 PM
mtcarey
My Feedback: (2)

Default Rudder servo moved to the rear for CG.

husafreak (02-26-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 01:32 PM
husafreak

That looks pretty straight forward. Did it require any internal bracing or just servo mounting lugs glued to the fuselage sides?
Old 02-27-2021, 02:21 PM
mgosson

Old 02-27-2021, 06:18 PM
husafreak

Nice layout mgosson. I remember you were using the F3A Unlimited tray and now I can see it is at least 2" aft of the stock tray. I plan to use the stock tray so for sure I will put my rudder servo in the tail with a push pull linkage.
Thanks for the PM too! I am going to copy your Rx power system with a new PowerBox Sensor switch and a pair of 500 mAh Lipo's.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:20 PM
husafreak

Mgosson, Are those dots between the canopy and fuselage magnets or damping material?
Old 02-28-2021, 05:13 AM
mgosson

Those are foam cushions to prevent chaffing of the fiberglass, I use then on all removable canopies. They are manufactured by Secraft and I purchase them from F3A Unlimited. https://www.f3aunlimited.com/hardwar...g/floating-pad

As an FYI I use the removable battery tray because It makes services the interior much easier.
https://www.f3aunlimited.com/powerpl...tray-kit-large
https://www.f3aunlimited.com/gator-r...ket-kit-grcrtb

Feel free to ask any question.

MB Gosson

husafreak (02-28-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 01:26 PM
stuffer
My Feedback: (11)

Default Keep it going

Originally Posted by husafreak
Great forum thread guys! I know it has tapered off to nothing but for me this is "breaking news"! I received my new Caelus a couple of weeks ago. First I read the RCG forum which was a mistake, one of those threads polluted by a bad apple poster IMHO. Then this thread which is chock full of great information and sharing that most of us enjoy. Lots of good info here.

I have had the initial look over and the finish is very nice, The internal glue joints look very good. Amazing quality. Unfortunately both ailerons are warped, about 2mm at each tip and in such a way that they will combine to roll the aircraft. So if there is any way to safely work that out please let me know as on my own I would be afraid to try it!

I'll be re using the components from a 2m Acuity. A Himax 6330 with Mike's rear mount firewall, Jeti Mezon 90 Lite ESC, Futaba BLS171SV and BLS173SV servos.
I do have a question about powering the system as I have lost faith in the Jeti DSM ESC that was installed in the Acuity. The system used the ESC BEC to power the servos, and that was backed up by a 2s LiPo via the DSM ESC (which has a mag switch). Unfortunately the Acuity augered in after loss of signal on short final. I returned the Powerbox CORE Tx and PB Rx for inspection after the crash and they could find nothing wrong but the flight log showed total power loss, as if the ESC stopped powering the Rx but the DSM did not take over. Until after the crash that is! Now everything works fine again on the bench. But I don't trust it now. Mike at F3A Unlimited had a clever solution to simply plug a backup pack into the Rx after powered up via the ESC and removing it before shut down, light and simple. I also have other battery back up systems I can use with the Jeti ESC. Or I can use a powerbox switch with dual Lipo batteries and not even use the Jeti ESC BEC. With the "one latch" canopy system on the Caelus I don't want to put any holes in the fuselage. Any advice here would be appreciated.

My main takeaways from this thread are as follows:
Reinforce battery tray and gear mount area as necessary, adding as little weight as possible.
Consider mounting rudder servo in tail to make battery placement for CG easier to achieve.
Dial in incidences to start. Expect Tcan to be way off fuselage platform. Wing + .7, Tcan + .3, stab 0 CG aft edge wing tube to 1/2" back from there. It seems everyone has different sweet spot.
Possibly need to work on CF gear legs. On mine there are only two screws each, obviously this could allow rocking of gear fore aft to create wear. What do you think?
And finally those warped ailerons. When trimmed for level flight should I be OK or is that always going to cause problems? I don't have enough experience with pattern flying here.

Although I hope to hear from Caelus owners I gotta love a thread where no one has much to say, because they are all out flying and enjoying their awesome airplane!

I get mine this week. Up to date pics and tips are good to see. Hopefully no warped parts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.