Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Pattern Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Anderson Power Pole Connectors. Have you had a failure or not?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Anderson Power Pole Connectors. Have you had a failure or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 05:00 PM
2Sunny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anderson Power Pole Connectors. Have you had a failure or not?

[link=http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-powerpoles/powerpole-sets/45-amp-red-black-anderson-powerpole-sets.html]Anderson Power Pole Connectors[/link]

O.K. please do not use this thread to debate which connector is best or to post which connector you prefer. There is another current thread running for that.

I was intrigued by comments made by another modeler regarding [link=http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-powerpoles/powerpole-sets/45-amp-red-black-anderson-powerpole-sets.html]Anderson Power Pole Connectors[/link] and so I spent several hours this morning researching them. I am definitely going to give them a try because I like the idea of crimping instead of soldering, being able to make a 10S pack without a Y cord, and not having to fight to disconnect each time I unplug, but I read in my research that some folks have had "failures". I'm not convinced that the people reporting the failures weren't suffering from a case of "Sour Grapes", but if you have tried and used the Anderson Power Poles and had a bad experience, I would be interested in hearing your story for sure. I will still buy a set of connectors and a crimping tool to try myself, but I'd love to know what problems or successes other APP users have run into if any.

Thanks as always,

JP

P.S. Here's some of the info I found this morning that convinced me to give 'em a try.

[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1135591&highlight=anderson]RCG APP Discussion[/link]
[link=http://www.flyrc.com/articles/using_powerpole_1.html]Using APP Connectors by Del Shier[/link]
Old 01-17-2010, 08:44 PM
icicles

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Anderson Power Pole Connectors. Have you had a failure or not?

I have a friend who flies pattern with the Angel 50. With a Hyperion 4025-12 motor on 5s it draws up around 65-70 amps from memory

He melted the plastic housing on his power poles, and landed dead stick. In defense of the power poles i don't think they are rated for that
amount of current. He is now using 4mm bullets with no problems

They are good for their intended usage

Chris
Old 01-17-2010, 10:21 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I talked to the guys in my club about powerpoles; the 'big guys' in my club strongly recommend them for higher amp applications. It was explained to me the importance of using the right connector for the right wire, specifically using the heaviest wire that will fit in the connector, or the smallest connector that will fit on your wire. This means use the 30A connectors for 12ga wire, and use the 45A connectors for 10ga wire.

I know that the ratings are mostly based on current draw, but voltage does have at least some influence in the matter. Powerpoles are rated at 30A or 45A at 120V, not 30V.

The guy I'm working with flies a lot, and flies all sorts of planes from foamies to giant scale, all electric. He uses powerpoles on everything, including his 10S and 12S applications.

The other thing that was strongly suggested was using their crimper for a 'foolproof' crimp. The quality of the crimp will affect the amount of current the connection can handle, and their specific crimper assures the right crimp.

Sorry this isn't personal experience with the connectors as that's really what we're all looking for here, but I'm interested in using them myself on my most prized F3A possession, for all the reasons stated above.

I would love to hear some personal experience with these connectors, especially which connector for what size wire and what application.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:22 PM
2Sunny

The actual rating for a 30-amp Powerpole is for a 30° Celsius (54° Fahrenheit) temperature rise at 30 amps (and 110 volts) using 12-gauge wire. This temperature rise spec is published in the National Electrical Code for building wiring and is more of a wire gauge rating than it is a connector rating. The power level noted in that standard is 3,300 watts.

Using Anderson Power Pole Connectors, Del Shier
I don't suppose your friend posted pictures? Is it possible he had a bad crimp, or misdiagnosed the failure? Seems like a big disparity to fail at less than a 1000 watts when they are rated for over 3000 watts.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:26 PM
2Sunny

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield
. . . . I'm interested in using them myself on my most prized F3A possession, for all the reasons stated above.

I would love to hear some personal experience with these connectors, especially which connector for what size wire and what application.

Thanks for the tip; I'm onboard with you

JP
Old 01-18-2010, 02:55 AM
Silent-AV8R

Most people are likely using the smaller versions sold in hobby shops. They make some pretty stout connectors.

http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-po...owerpole-sets/

The larger ones are pretty big physically. But can definitely take the load. If someone melted them then clearly they were using undersized connectors for the application.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:31 AM
J Lachowski
My Feedback: (46)

I talked to the guys in my club about powerpoles; the 'big guys' in my club strongly recommend them for higher amp applications. It was explained to me the importance of using the right connector for the right wire, specifically using the heaviest wire that will fit in the connector, or the smallest connector that will fit on your wire. This means use the 30A connectors for 12ga wire, and use the 45A connectors for 10ga wire.

I know that the ratings are mostly based on current draw, but voltage does have at least some influence in the matter. Powerpoles are rated at 30A or 45A at 120V, not 30V.

The guy I'm working with flies a lot, and flies all sorts of planes from foamies to giant scale, all electric. He uses powerpoles on everything, including his 10S and 12S applications.

The other thing that was strongly suggested was using their crimper for a 'foolproof' crimp. The quality of the crimp will affect the amount of current the connection can handle, and their specific crimper assures the right crimp.

Sorry this isn't personal experience with the connectors as that's really what we're all looking for here, but I'm interested in using them myself on my most prized F3A possession, for all the reasons stated above.

The crimp tool works great. The 30A and 45A powerpoles use the same plastic sleeve. I personally use the 4mm Schulze bullet connectors
on 2M stuff.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:29 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Been flying Sermos/Anderson Power Poles since '92 on applications up to 60 amps. Never had a failure. You do have to get the bigger ones if you're pulling 60+ plus amps continuously.
Walt
Old 01-18-2010, 06:31 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

I've been using APP powerpoles as long as I've been flying electric. I like the fact you can crimp them on. I got my crimper from West Mountain Electric and also my powerpoles. Great Prices! I've never had a failure.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:07 PM
2Sunny

Hey guys,

I received my powerpoles and crimper today. I find crimping to be much easier than soldering, but I'm concerned that the poles are to easily separated. Its so easy to pull a plug out it seems as if they could almost vibrate loose.

Any thoughts?

Thanks as always,

JP
Old 01-22-2010, 05:24 PM
shannah
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used them for my rx and servo batteries on my 40% aircraft. I put velcro on them and stuck the connectors to a velcro pad on my servo tray. Never came loose. I was afraid to let them flop around however.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:34 PM
Jetdesign

What gage wire did you use, and what amp-rated plug did you use? I was playing with a few pairs the other day and thought the connection was pretty good, with a little 'snap' when they went together. Not sure if the thicker wire would help make a firmer connection?
Old 01-22-2010, 08:07 PM
KeithB
My Feedback: (1)

Iuse Anderson PP for all of my charging equipment and Ithink they're great, however, Iwould never use them for in-flight system (motor or receiver). Why? Because my experience on the ground with the charging equipment is that they can separate (unplug) very easily and Idon't want that happening in the air!

FWIW.

Keith Black
Old 01-22-2010, 08:11 PM
2Sunny

What gage wire did you use, and what amp-rated plug did you use? I was playing with a few pairs the other day and thought the connection was pretty good, with a little 'snap' when they went together. Not sure if the thicker wire would help make a firmer connection?

I tested on Rhino packs with 10 gauge wire in the 45 amp plugs. I have to agree with Keith; I'm afraid to use them for inflight because they separate too easily. Looks like back to EC5 for me Too bad 'cuz I really like the crimping versus soldering.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:09 PM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

I've been flying e-power since 92. Everything from gliders to floatplanes to 3D. I have never had a Power Pole come disconnected in flight. They must be firmly seated in the housing with the tip of the contact hooked over the spring. If they seem loose just reshape the bend at the tip of the contact.
Walt
Old 01-23-2010, 01:30 AM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

I didn't realize what Anderson Power Poles were until the other day when I was working on an Aeroworks Ultimate for a friend. I was trying to find out what kind of connectors come on a DA ignition, as I needed to to a bit of surgery to the cables since he's running a DA-200.

I would never use these in a pattern plane, ever. If it weren't a pain in the butt, I would have put EC3 connectors on the ignitions, however if you had to replace one in a pinch, that would require soldering. They come apart way too easily, and I have a hard time believing that crimping is sufficient for the higher power that we're running for power systems in pattern planes. It sounds like you've had good success with the motor experimentation, Joe, however if it were me, I wouldn't touch these with a ten foot pole.

Just my opinion, and as always, remember what you paid for it.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:45 PM
Jetdesign

I just got my shipment of powerpole supplies today. I agree the connection is pretty easy to pull apart; I bent one set of connectors just slightly and it seemed to help a little, but I'll have to experiment a little more before I'm fully satisfied.

I was able to hang my Watt's up connected to a charge lead and shake it around without it disconnecting, but a forceful jerk was able to separate the connection.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:38 PM
KeithB

Also keep in mind the concern is not only when they're brand new but also aftera few hundred cycles.

Keith
Old 01-26-2010, 09:10 AM
LCHelilover
My Feedback: (15)

I began using power poles several years ago and I love them. I actually converted all my connections to dean's after a couple of years, not because of any problems with the power poles, but because "everyone else" was using deans plugs. I hate deans' plugs, but continue to use them. I have powerpoles on my "stock connections" from chargers to converters and power sources. They are great and crimped connections done properly are SUPERIOR to solder joints. Please don't respond with luddite opinions, look up the data. So I've succumbed to the "be like everybody else" mentality but I don't like it<G>!

I wish the powerpoles were a little shorter and came in micro sizes for smaller connections but for 14 gause wire and bigger they are great.

Joe the connection is fine with power poles. If your battery falls out of the airframe you have bigger problems than the connection <G>!

G
Old 01-26-2010, 03:43 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

George,

I presume the Luddite reference was directed towards me. I tend to think that I don't go with the flow, and that I do my own thing. I don't use Deans connectors on my stuff, I've got bullets. I've never been a big fan of Dean's at all.

How is (rather can be) crimping superior to soldering? I realize many connections in our airplanes are crimp connections, but they aren't running as much current, or are they nearly as large a connector as the Power Poles. Like I said, I've only messed with them on DA ignitions and I didn't like them in that application. I suppose they do fine, as there are countless DA's out there flying, but they aren't disconnecting that battery connector all the time. Even sport flying is different from pattern flying in that pattern guys tend to fly a lot more than sport flyers. That's a lot of plugging and unplugging. I thought the connector unpluged too easily, and I don't see how they are superior to bullet connectors.

Not trying to be argumentative, just curious.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:19 PM
can773

I would think that the arcing during connection which is very common in the setups we run would damage the contact surface of this connector.

Thats one aspect where bullets are superior to all others is that the arc only damages the tip of the connector and not the contacting surfaces like Deans and Neu type connectors, and was the primary reason I went away from both of those.

After two or three hundred connections a Deans or Neu is pretty beat up.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:24 PM
LCHelilover
My Feedback: (15)

Hey Ryan,

Actually, the luddite comment wasn't directed at anyone in particular...just the general peanut gallery. I can't find the article right now, but I read a nice discussion of soldering vs crimping that was I think referenced from this forum. Good soldering is almost as good as good crimping but the bottom line was that they were equivalent for strength and resistance to electrical flow. Crimping doesn't fatigue with vibration and you can't get a "cold joint" with a crimping tool. I can't burn my finger on a crimping tool either .

I actually converted to deans because a tech at Castle Creations told me that power pole connectors were the cause of a ESC failure....simply not true in retrospect. I've used powerpoles for connections for pattern planes, large and small helicopters and airplanes and I still use them for my "field connections". I've never had one "come loose" accidentally. They are a little more bulky than bullets but they go together solidly and come apart without a fuss. The design of the powerpole is such that the connection spark occurs on a different part of the connector than the "connection" which results in no connection degradation with use. The current capacity of all the power poles is more than we use, the "amp rating" is related to the wire size that the connectors are designed for. I refer you to the help section of powerwerks.com for more technical info.

I continue to use deans because they are "the community standard" so it's easier to help out a buddy or try something with someone else's equipment if we are all using deans connectors. But I really like powerpoles!

A friend of mine used bullets for a season and didn't like them for various reasons. I use them for motor connections so that I can change a motor without resoldering, but for me they are too hard to connect and disconnect for regular use, and they must constantly be guarded to prevent shorts.

To each his own!

G
Old 01-26-2010, 05:14 PM
Jetdesign

I thought the luddite comment was just to keep anyone from posting about which method was better without any real supporting evidence. I did a quick search online about which was better, and while the majority of people seem to think it's crimping over soldering, most of it sounds like opinion.

I was wondering if the compression would affect the resistance of the connection, though I know for welds the compression helps the buildup of heat (increases resistance?) so I don't know.

Anyway, sounds like its really up to a matter of personal preference. I don't like Deans as there is little to pull on for disconnecting and I'm new to soldering. I like powerpoles because the guy I will be flying with the most uses them a lot, so for me it's good for support. Doesn't do much at a contest, but hopefully I can be prepared enough to get by in case something happens.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:35 PM
can773

ORIGINAL: LCHelilover

they are too hard to connect and disconnect for regular use, and they must constantly be guarded to prevent shorts.
Not if you use these! Dirt cheap too

Old 01-26-2010, 06:51 PM
2Sunny

After an extensive conversation with an RC buddy who flies 6 to 12 lb electric planes, I flipped back to my original plan. He has had no problems in his planes, and as a former missle engineer I respect his opinion greatly. He showed me that the force required to disconnect a pair approaches 2 lbs and if I'm getting that much force on the plug something else is VERY wrong. I converted 3 esc's and 8 battery packs from dual 5s double ended EC3s to single end Power Pole 10s packs in 30 minutes plus I converted the 3 esc's without taking them out of the plane. Perhaps I will regret this, but after much consideration I'm willing to give it a try. Crimping is a breeze and plugging and unplugging is a downright pleasure now. No more banging my hands on the sides of the plane as I pull too hard to separate the plugs. Now only time will tell . . .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58776.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1365124  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.