Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

New Blackhawk Heli... A lil bigger than T-Rex

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

New Blackhawk Heli... A lil bigger than T-Rex

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 12:50 AM
2Thirty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Blackhawk Heli... A lil bigger than T-Rex

Hello tzeming. Nice bird.
Strange to see all of the extras on a GP. It makes the electric look simple.

I ordered replacement parts today.

Broken parts were:
New rotor blades. that was obvious. I was looking for some carbon graphite blades, but couldn't find any 360mm. I just ordered the stock blades.
Main rotor grip set. One is broken, the other ok. I wanted to order the HP02-U007B metal grip set but couldn't find them in stock anywhere.
Linkage set. Bent 4
Bearing mount.
Tail pitch yoke set.

I ordered a few other items just to have around.

On the positive side, replacing these parts will give me a better understanding of how the thing operates.

I took the transmitter apart last night. I wanted to take a look at the circuits. (I guess that's from being a ham for a long time)
I found a number of questionable solder joints. I resoldered almost every joint in the transmitter.
I would suggest this for anyone who feels comfortable with a soldering iron.

I took the RF plug in module apart, and found considerable corrosion on the tuning cans, and some on the pcb.
I cleaned and resoldered everything.

Interesting that the rf module has so little power. I was thinking about adding an rf power circuit if I keep it.

Having ordered the replacement parts today from a company in California, and me being in Tennessee, I was thinking they might arrive by Friday, so I could spend another weekend with my wife complaining about me not spending enough time doing something with her. ( see hobby #1 that I have been doing for the last 20 years at www.2Thirty.com )

I will let you know how the replacement parts go...

Jim
Old 02-12-2007, 07:03 AM
tzeming

Hi Jim

let me know if you need the original length of those broken linkage.

I check your site, your hobby #1 being taking night pictures ?

Cheers
Old 02-12-2007, 09:39 AM
2Thirty

Click on the 2Thirty at the top left.

It's been a long time since I've had a chance to work on the web page.
I needed to design a better start page. (Needed to design a better web site, but that takes time too.)

The other guy you will see on the website is my son.

Jim
Old 02-12-2007, 02:52 PM
retired911guy

Dumb...dumb....dumb....dumb!!!! Well, I found out for sure the idle up switch works on the transmitter!! I had just fashioned a large training gear set for the 450 and was going to try and give it a decent maiden flight and get it trimmed out. Throttle/pitch control closed down, everything checked before plugging in the battery (except, of course, the idle up switch), transmitter on, and plug in the battery. Oh crap, imagine my surprise when the 450 fires up and starts to lift off. If I had opened the throttle, I would probably still be looking for it. The idle up switch never crossed my mind. I got it shut down (after the crash) and the damage was not too severe: brand new rotor blades, gone; landing skid, bent; landing skid supports, cracked; tail boom, slight dent; strut support for tail boom, bent; pride, smashed to smithereens! Moral, always check ALL transmitter settings, including the idle up switch before engaging the battery.
The helicopter is still flyable, since I have a set of CF main blades on hand. This can be an expensive, frustrating hobby. Maybe I should stick to full size 'choppers?? Maybe tomorrow will be a better day.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:13 PM
tzeming

Jim, you have a great voice, love your songs. Playing classical guitar WAS my hobby #1 (15 years ago!) . I am learning piano now, passed grade 3 exam last year I have never seem my hands were so shaken before ( during exam )

Hey 911, man , what can I say. I broke the engine cool fan before I could fire up the engine ( because I don't know how to properly use the rotor starter.) and I broke the servo linkage while tuning the engine. All that before I can get the heli off the ground. At least your's has a few seconds glorious moment.

what I will do : for both 500GP and 450, I'll put a little sticker next to the engine saying: "Radio ON ? Throttle down? Normal mode ?" to remind myself. ( as I new to the hobby )

I think I will buy Hyperion EOS 1210i charger and a LBA 10net 6S+ balancer.

what are you guy for battery charger ?
Old 02-12-2007, 10:43 PM
retired911guy

Since all of my birds were RTF, I use whatever comes with the kit. One consolation on the "mishap" with my 450, there was NO damage to the rotor assembly, even thought the blades were shredded. Had the rotor head been plastic.....? One other mitigating factor may have been the size of the "training gear"; the rods are about 44" long, which gives it wwwwiiiiidddddeeee stance. Oh, and the 450's stock blades are plastic coated balsa wood, and the balance was perfect from the factory. I seriously doubt CF blades would have stood up any better. That helicopter has some REAL power!
I think I will give it a bit of a rest and allow me to recover from the shock. I have been piddling with my BCX2 and got all the aluminum upgrade rotor stuff. I used the old inner shaft from the BCX2 to replace the inner shaft on my Lama V3. Now both of them are back in the air. At least I have something to practice on until I am ready to try the 450 again (a nice, warm, windless day).
Old 02-14-2007, 01:44 AM
tzeming

here is the manual for the ESC that comes with my 450. Just in case you don't have it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74089.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	621342   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45161.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	621343  
Old 02-14-2007, 06:38 AM
PSN Denmark

Thanks a lot for the instruction.

I just found out, that I miss the instruction for mine ESC.

Just to make sure that it is the same as we got, can you please take a picture of your ESC ?
Old 02-14-2007, 02:48 PM
KidNovak

I received my Black Hawk 450 SE today; It took about 8 days from the date I ordered the Heli.

The Black Hawk 450 SE was a lot more than I expected. I was surprised to see that the transmitter had rechargeable batteries. The frame was black carbon fiber, not silver and the aluminum parts were silver, not blue which I like better.

All screws were tight, wires neatly placed.

I showed a friend the Black Hawk 450 SE, he could not believe the Quality and the price that I paid for the Heli.

Like everyone else, I received no manual for the JFT602 Transmitter. I have no idea what the switches and knobs do on the transmitter.

It might be a couple of weeks before I will even get the Heli in the air since I am very busy.

As soon as I have time I will upload pics and review this Heli in this forum.

Thank you,
Novak
Old 02-14-2007, 11:57 PM
KidNovak

I still haven't found info on the JFT602 transmitter, but the E-Sky ET106B looks like the same transmitter as the JFT602.

E-Sky 6 Channel Radio Control Set - EK2-1010
Channel Radio Control system for E-Sky Honey Bee King and Honey Bee Cool. 35mhz, mode2 - LCD display, servos, speed controller, gyro and receiver.

Now only if I could find a manual for the ET106B or Honey Bee King.

Name:	Ki19922.jpg
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	621997  
Old 02-15-2007, 02:13 AM
retired911guy

Here is a photographed copy of the current manual. It is my understanding that the current manual is being revised. I hope this helps in the meantime. I have tried twice now to upload the pictures, apparently without any success. I will try once more.

Name:	Ki19260.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	622036   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41600.jpg
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	622037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59634.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	622038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn31658.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	622039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju13919.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	622040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fw28320.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	622041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62063.jpg
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	622042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49697.jpg
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	622043  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk15600.jpg
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	622044   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz75085.jpg
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	622045   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd43449.jpg
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	622046   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dt18519.jpg
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	622047  
Old 02-15-2007, 02:15 AM
retired911guy

OK, so they don't show up when you preview a post. There are two manuals displayed, each is identical and both are 12 pages long, 2 pages at a time.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:38 AM
tzeming

here is the photo of the ESC in my 450. it is a Powertech, BS35A

Name:	Ec89715.jpg
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	622056  
Old 02-16-2007, 09:01 AM
KidNovak

@retired911guy
Thank you for the Manual!

Now I have several questions about the JFT602 Transmitter.
What are the Knobs and Switches on the JFT602 Transmitter?
- GYRO.SW (switch)
- IDLE (Switch)
- TRIN (switch)
- HOV.PIT (knob)
- PIT.TRIM (knob)
- OFF/ON (switch) <- kidding.

I also have the POWERTECH BS35A ESC.
I noticed it says "Adjustable cut-off voltage / Optional brake feature"

How do I make adjustments to this ESC?

Thank you for the help,
Novak
Old 02-16-2007, 02:27 PM
retired911guy

KidNovak, regarding questions about the ESC, refer to post #57 in this thread. Someone posted a manual for the ESC. As for your questions regarding the transmitter, I may be able to shed some light on some of them. #1 is make DARN sure the idle up switch is off (away from you) when you plug in the battery in the helicopter. If the idle up switch is on when you plug in the battery, with the HOV.PIT knob at 0, your rotors are going to spin up immediately to about 50% power; the amount of power and amount of pitch is adjusted by this knob. Even though this knob was adjusted to its minimum, my 450 still took off with the idle up switch on (a very basic newbie mistake). The TRIN switch is a momentary switch (only on as long as you hold it on) that allows another transmitter (in the hands of an experienced pilot) to take over your helicopter when you engage this switch. The two transmitters must be connected with a training cable. As soon as this switch is released, the bird is back in your hands. I am not at all sure sure what the PIT TRIM knob does; it may be like a PLT knob on other transmitters, limiting the amount of movement you get from the servos. As for the GYRO switch, I don't have a clue, unless it is a NORMAL/REVERSE switch, which would duplicate the little switch found on the gyro itself. I will bow to someone more experienced than I am in this area, and hope that someone will speak up.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:24 PM
tzeming

out in the garden , with my new 450 lawn mower , see what I have done

it spins like mad anti-clockwise after taking off, I tried to tune the tail trim a bit while it was in the air and oops it hitted my lemon tree 5 meters away...hanging up side down.
The lemon tree said : try harder, it doesn't hurt a bit...no lemon falling off
( I should have took a photo of it , but too eager to rescue my bird )

Any one like my super fool proved landing pad...without it I am ordering many spare parts already...

KidNovak : I just leave anything default in the ESC. I didn't change anything. The default is what I want anyway.

Some Gyro have an sensitivity switch like futaba GY401 ( what I use ) which is connected to the channel 5 of your radio to select between normal mode and AVCS.
some info here : http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/futm0807-manual.pdf

of course yours gyro is different, you need to check the gyro manual ( if you have it )

Name:	Hf99975.jpg
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	624558   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43310.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	624559  
Old 02-19-2007, 06:30 PM
tzeming

I have my gyro direction switch set wrong. I did check it , I through I got it right on the bench, oops again....

The lemon tree crash destoried the main rotor gear (one way ) bearing. []
the problem : when the motor run, it still turns the main gear, but the main gear doesn't turn the lower gear which in turn rotates the main shaft and the tail belt.

The super fool proved pad didn't help if the heli is not end up on the ground..[&o]
Old 02-23-2007, 04:54 PM
2Thirty

I like your landing pad(s), that has inspired me to build some. I have some insulation for AC lines that I think will work.

I've just about finished repairing my 500. I had to order a servo that I didn't know had stripped gears.

Anyone have any idea what size screw holds the rotor yoke to the shaft? I tried 2.5mm, per the local hobby shop, but 2.5 is just a bit large.
2mm is way too small. I was going to try to find a screw that fits, but if not I will drill the holes out and use a 2.5mm.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:40 PM
padrecraig

Boy am I glad to find others who have purchased Blackhawk 450's. I've had mine just long enough to get it hovering, only to bust up the tail rotor and burn out a one-way bearing. For my first 3D heli I believe I'm in over my head. Plan to take it nice and slow. I've been communicating with another, much more experienced flyer, who bought a Blackhawk 450 from CCE Creations (aka DiscountHelicopters). He's been very helpful in aiding me to learn some of the basics facts about the BH450, like interchangability of parts. Hope to learn more from y'all.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:12 AM
tzeming

I think I have "burn" the one way bearing as well when it crashed into the lemon tree.

I have all the gear out and examine the one way bearing. as I don't know how a good one is supposed to look like, so I am not 100% sure mine is damaged , but I will replace it anyway.

my problem at the moment is the main gear doesn't drive the small gear below which in turn drive the main rotor blade. so it got to be the bearing...right

here is the tube showing my problem..

http://www.youtube.com/v/yktm49b95sk

2-30 : The part number of main rotor yoke set is HP03-P010, I don't think they will sell you the screew seperately. has it came out loose ?
I better thread lock them now before I forget.

Craig , thanks for sharing. what are the length of your servo linkage ( 3 of them ), I have been trying to figure out what they should be for past few weeks. my sweahplate is not very at the moment...which cause a few minor crash..
Also I am thinking about change the rotor head , grip and swashplate to metal. any idea ?

Has anyone balance the wooden blade ? I have and found them not exactly the same weight. however the position the CG on both blade is very close to each other. This is ture for both 450 and 500 blade.

For my 450, I check the blade tracking , it is almost perfect without any ajustment. but the 500GP is out ,I need to adjust the length of the linkage between swashplate and washout base arm one turn to bring it closer. ( I can't do anything now as a ground crash broke the main rotor grip [&o] )

so both 500 and 450 are ground..[] and weather is perfect , sunny , no wind , not too hot....

Name:	Mj24444.jpg
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	628471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13175.jpg
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	628472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci98220.jpg
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	628473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz75068.jpg
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	628474  
Old 02-24-2007, 01:16 AM
padrecraig

Tzeming - I knew my one-way bearing was shot when the main gear would wind up under power but wouldn't turn the main shaft or the rear rotor. I took the gear out and could tell anything by looking at it. As I said I've been exchanging e-mail with another Blackhawk owner who lives in Pennsylvania. He confirmed that it was shot and told me to get either one for a Walkera 36 or a Align Trex. I did as instructed, opting for one from Align. Pop it in and still the same problem. Then it hit me - - it's a one-way bearing!! Turned it around and problem solved.

Be very careful in removing the old bearing and installing the new one. After several tries with various tools I found the best way to accomplish removal was to support the center of the gear with an appropriately sized socket from a socket wrench set. You want one that supports the center hub on the side of the gear where the bushing protrudes from the gear. Make sure it clears the bearing, but still supports the plastic hub. Then using another socket that is the same size as the one-way bearing, this time from the side of the gear where the bearing sits flush with the face of the gear, drive the bearing out of the main gear using a small, lightweight hammer by striking the socket. Go slowly, and be sure to keep the hub of the gear well supported, or else you will break the spokes from the inner hub. Putting the new one in is the reverse and much easier than getting the od one out. It is held in by friction only.

I think your question about the pushrod lengths needs to be answered by someone who has their heli properly trimmed out or has one still at factor fresh settings. I know I would appreciate it if someone who's been flying a Blackhawk 450 with success might measure their pushrods and provide us their measurements.

As far as an aluminum main rotor head, I've been advised that again that a Trex head will work. But I'm not exactly sure of that. I've also been told by the fellow from PA that a Walkera 36 aluminum up-grade head will work. For now I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to keep my Blackhawk 450. So I'm not going to invest any more in it until I'm sure that I can handle a heli this size at this point in my learning curve.

BTW, another thing that Brian in PA claims is that the elctronics, including the gyro have given him no problems to date: no burned out servos - no radio glitching - and smooth operation from the motor/ESC combo. He tells me that the motor is equal to the one that comes in the new Trex 450XL. That's fairly reassuring given the unknown brand of components that came in the RTF package.

Well, for now I'm off to bed. Tomarrow comes too early. Peace - Craig +
Old 02-24-2007, 01:41 PM
KidNovak

Thanks guys for the "One Way Bearing" and "Aluminum Main Rotor Head" information.

I'm looking for a replacement Main Gear, Autorotation Tail Drive Gear and a Tail Belt that is compatable with the Black Hawk 450.
I believe the Main gear has 150 teeth.

I thought I might have the Heli in the Air this weekend, but it turned cold and wet.

Novak
Old 02-24-2007, 10:06 PM
padrecraig

Was just surfing various hobby dealers and came across this url:
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=A2155764
Many of the parts carry the same part number as the Blackhawk 450.
FWIW - Craig +
Old 02-28-2007, 05:44 AM
tzeming

I ordered my 450 and 500 parts from this ebay shop, their price are very good. They don't list those parts on the web, but they will send quote to you by email.
PM me if you want to know what I ordered and their price.

http://www.rvmshop.com

[email protected]
Old 03-01-2007, 02:51 AM
2Thirty

I finished repairing my Blackhawk 500, and did a trial fly this evening.
I was able to hover for about 15 seconds before one of the rotor ball link snaps broke. (I guess from removing them too many times)

Crash did not result in any broken parts.
I ordered a set of ball links and will give it another try when they arrive.

This was better than the last attempt.

I will try to attach a pix of the BH500.

Jim

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/3/...3/PICT3749.MOV
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Fd91761.jpg (1.51 MB, 7 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.