Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Alfa Model Mig 15

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 09:17 AM
bookboy22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Alfa Model Mig 15

Hey Ron,

What things did Andy do in his build that you didn't do in you build.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:25 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really just went by the book.. I just paid attention to joining the wing... I got off all the paint on the fuse where the wing root joins ... I didn't do carbon fiber rods on the spare.. I only used one ailron servo... I just velcro my batt. pack in place... I tried to save weight... it flys great.. I think he went abit over kill...

good luck with yours..
let me know if you need any help
ron
Old 11-23-2006, 04:55 AM
speedy_electron

Anyone ever try the alf mig with the ETH5512 Motor from Hobby lobby, let me know, Im ready to try it, but if its a disaster let me know
Old 11-25-2006, 08:54 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just picked up the MIG 15 yesterday and she is a beauty ... I think I need to get the Sabre to make it a nice pair. Need to ask you guys about power set up. I am not looking to burn the skies but rather enough power to fly her well ... juts nice loops. I am thinking of using my Permax 400 6D (3,400 KV) brushless motor. Any comments on this? Thanks!!!
Old 12-05-2006, 05:32 AM
speedy_electron

TIANCI.... If you bought the Mig from Hobby-Lobby you will find that the ad shows you the best setup for the Mig, and it flies very well, only thing I found is to have someone experienced in hand launching to launch the mig for you on the first few tries so that your ready instantly on the radio in case it does something weird... My setup is basically stock as in Hobby-Lobby, one thing I did find is to have the center of gravity 1 mm ahead of the marks on the wing, I found that it flies out of a stall better with that adjustment and is more predictable on a slow speed approach to a pin point landing....Also pay attention to all mig threads on wing mounting...
Old 12-05-2006, 08:59 AM
tIANci

Speedy - thanks for the info. I just found out that my Permax cannot fit into the fan, I got another 2025 equivalent motor of 4,600 KV. I think that will be enough for decently fast flying. I heard about the wing ... have to remove the paint and ensure its stuck on properly.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:58 AM
speedy_electron

Hows the build going tIANci , have you got all the extension wires for your motor/esc hook up, elevator servo glued in with the proper length horn, not much room there, you need to pop a hole in the tail to to get the wire tight in the horn and to make adjustments , glue the wire down to get positive throw with no slop. Hope that info helps, if you are at that point...
Old 12-13-2006, 02:06 PM
tIANci

speedy - not yet started ... hehehe ... been busy!
Old 06-21-2007, 03:11 PM
yo mama

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to cool the battery and speed control without cutting into the duct?
Old 06-21-2007, 03:23 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't it doesn't get that hot...
Old 06-21-2007, 08:16 PM
tIANci

momma - might your batts be unable to keep up? The plane only needs about 20A-25A for ballistic performance ... I flew mine with a simple 2025 clone of 4,600KV ... was okay and I got about 70 mph max and tha was enough to pull loops. The motor pulled only 18A WOT.

speedy - she flies really good and is a beauty in the air ... a true beauty!
Old 09-12-2007, 10:26 AM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

I plan to put together a mig once I have a bit more money available (probably within the next 2-3 months). I have read so many threads and various suggestions on it, that I am completely at a loss for selecting the power setup at this point. I am new to brushless e-flight, so I really need some guidance.

I was originally considering the hobby-lobby suggested setup, but then saw the e-flightline ones. I was leaning towards the Himax 2025-5300's version. I noticed that the Tanic 3s 1550's are not listed on the e-flightline site, and also read in this thread that the 1550 is a typo and it should be the 2200's, which is also not listed on the site under batteries. The idea of buying a combo from someone who has been informed of a typo on their site but has not fixed it makes me nervous, as does the thought of someone listing a batt pack to use under a combo, but not listing it on their batts webpage.

This has me thinking about the Hobby-Lobby recommend combo with the PolyQuest "Twenty" 3 Cell 11.1V 1200 mAh Li-Poly Pack . But I read in several posts that with a 1200 batt you need to add extra weight to the nose to balance, so that has me a bit turned off of this combo.

Is either of these recommended combos better than the other, if so, why? I like the idea of getting a package deal, because I am new to brushless, but at the same time, I don't want to get something that is less than ideal just because a retailer is recommending it.

I read quite a bit about little screamers setups, but am not well informed enough to figure out what LS motor, esc and batt combo would work well. If anyone has any input on little screamers setups for the mig, i would be interested in hearing from you.

I am not looking for highest possible speeds, but enough to ROG is a must. I would also stress the need for a dependable well spec'd setup that does not require throttle management to prevent burning something up. I do not plan to run WOT for multiple batteries back to back, but don't want to be worried about having to keep WOT bursts short, or to let the whole thing sit and cool for 10 minutes between flights.

I have also read a few posts about people not liking the green loctite for mounting the fan. A few guys have said that they made mounts on a lathe that are held on by grub screws. Is something like this available from some seller (I don't have a lathe or the skills to use one). I would really prefer a motor/fan setup that can be disassembled without having to heat the motor shaft with a soldering iron, something about that just doesn't seem right to me.

Any input on any of this would be greatly appreciated, but please remember that I am new to brushless so please try to give feedback with ample detail and type slow so you don't get too far ahead of me.

Thanks

Old 09-12-2007, 12:10 PM
mystar46

tommythecat,

I used Hobby Lobby's recommended setup and it was absolutely perfect. I also got their accessory kit with the recommended glues, etc.. I didn't have to add any weight to the nose of mine to get it to balance. Not sure what the issue was with the other builders. Mine came out to 15.5 ounces ready to fly, was clocked at 52 MPH with a radar gun and could ROG no problem. I have about 50 flights on it and the Polyquest 1200 is as good as the day I got it. It's hard to go wrong with this little jet. It flies great, looks great, always draws a crowd and is just plain fun! Good luck with what ever you decide.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:16 PM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks for the reply. 52 is respectable, and should suit my flying style just fine.

Out of curiosity, is anyone here running one of the setups from e-flightline, and if so, what kind of speeds do you get.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:29 PM
Hoghead385
My Feedback: (1)

tommythecat,
I'm also flying the mig with the HL set up but with the TP 1320. Easily ROGs and is plenty fast enough for me. I too have read all the posts on hopping up the mig with the jetscreamers and himax setups but with all the amp/watt/pack discussion, I'm confused so I've stuck with the stock setup for now. The stock setup is quck, fun to fly and always draws a crowd when I fly it. The club guys can't believe it's a foamy jet, has great presence in the air. Good luck with your build.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:38 AM
Ray Davis

Turbine guys here in NE now fly about a dozen of these after events/lunchtime.....all at once! Big furball, great fun keeping track of yours/avoiding mid-airs, etc.

Hot set-up is clearly and far away the Jet Screamer motor w/ adaptor, using 4-cell LiPos. Just about unlimited vertical. I use Thunderpower 2100s Pro Elites (not the Extreme...too thick) w/ a CC PH25, but then need a BEC, too. I've seen Jeti 33s that have the BEC built-in for 4-cells work fine. You'll need to split the battery tray fore and aft to level it w/ the wire spar so as to get the battery pack low enough to clear the canopy underside. No cooling needed, all electronics in front fuse half (except elevator servo, of course). I use a single mico JR digitals for aileron and elevator, HiTec 555 Rx. ROGs off anything, goes like hell. Wire spar plenty stong enough if glued solidly....esp the wing/fuse joint. High Gs, no failures....just mid-airs.

All Migs eat the Sabre for lunch....need a firm, level handlaunch technique....don't 'flip' it; let it ROG at speed, don't yank it off. Or else it pitches up, stalls and all is lost. Need a 5/32" thick shim to match JS adaptor front to place the motor correctly in the Alfa 3-blade fan housing. No rear housing or front spinner needed...eventually they come off, anyway.

Ray

Old 09-22-2007, 11:34 PM
Turn n Burn

Ray use the 5 blade alfa rotor and you will see unlimited vertical and speeds of 115 to 120 mph. Use a modified tail pipe made from clear mylar exit dia. should be 1.8"
Old 09-24-2007, 02:51 PM
Ray Davis

Well, I'm a little skeptical of that...certainly the speed.

W/ what motor/battery, ESC? I've tried 5-blade w/ the JS on 4S (much too loaded/high amperage)..was a dog by comparison on 3S.....5-blade w/ the HIMax 2025-5300 and 3S, better, but pretty loaded too/wouldn't last...top speed not up to 3-blade 3S HiMax.

But...convince me...maybe you've found the magic combo that also holds together.....'cause if truly so...it's what we want!

Ray
Old 09-24-2007, 03:39 PM
Pappy

Go for the Saber - the one piece wing is the way to go. It takes off the ground nice on short grass, plus you don't have to worry about the wings coming off. People will tell you the Mig is fine, and how to make the wings fit better - but if you're even talking about wing failure - then it's an issue.
Saber all the way.

www.teamkaputt.com
Old 09-25-2007, 01:26 AM
tIANci

Yeah the Sabre is easier to build with its one piece wing but the MIG does look great.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:07 AM
Ray Davis

What the hell...in for a penny...in for a pound:

The Sabre is a dog by comparison by any flight criteria....and ROGs w/ much more difficulty....some guys adding skids, etc. to get the wing higher than the grass. Also, the Sabre ducting at the fan is cheesy and having access is much more a PITA than the MiG, which nicely splits in half. Never seen any Sabre fly nearly as well as the MiG..don't know why, whether the ducting difference/whatever.

MiG wings not an issue unless you just wont read/follow the directions. Inside, under the wire spar center, first epoxy some CF or FG on top the inlet to prevent the spar crushing it down under load. And use that provided wire spar, PU it in the balsa wing spar receptacle, remove/rough up the fuse root paint, pin-hole the wing root foam....and epoxy to fuse. Then run a small bead of PU all around the joint.....the fillets cover the expanded PU nicely. I rip mine around pretty unscale-like, all three have held together w/ maybe 200 flights now.

You are quite correct re ease of the one-wing Sabre build, however...the MiG surfaces alignment take much patience and a good eye to get truly symetrical left and right anhydral and incidences...and remain normal to the vert stab.

Ya want performance and a more scale look in the air.....MiG hands down.

Ray
Old 09-25-2007, 09:48 AM
Pappy

I owned both, you're right - the Mig is better perfomance - I'm just saying for begininers, the Sabre is an easier build, not as fragile and probably a little easier to fly. My Saber ROG is no problem without skids with stock setup.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:02 AM
scottyc883

How's it going. Been reading this thread for a while. Try this one out. My buddy and I just finished maidening his MiG 15 with (this is great) a HET 3" fan, Typhoon 2W (4700 kv), CC TB54 speed cont., TP 2100 Pro Lite. Flew it last Sat. Just ridiculous vertical and straight line speed is absolutely stupid. He put a ton of work into this thing, dual aileron servos mounted inboard, NO inlet ducting used a Wemotec inlet ring, custom bulkheads, and composite exaust ducting. We tested with the inlet duct and the static thrust was about half as without it, go figure. Absolutely no cavitation at WOT in flight Draws 45 amps static but the thrust is well over 2 pounds (Over 450W folks). 22 oz. ready to fly. Believe it or not it flies so much better with the higher wing loading and landing is just as easy as before. Hand launch? Just let go of it. It would probably fly without wings. Flight time was over 5 minutes with throttle management. Its something to see to point this thing vertivle at 1/2 gas and jump on it just before it stalls and then watch it become a dot. If you have the time and a little bit of coin it is well worth it! It is faster at 1/2 throttle than with the HiMax 5300 he had in it at WOT. Just ridiculous!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!!! I will try to get him to post a video when we get a chance to film it. We have a bunch more stuff in the works with our F86's. Will keep posting if anybody is interested.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:47 AM
tIANci

450W ... oh man ... this is a real hoot to fly for sure. I only had like 200+W in my MIG.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:04 PM
Ray Davis

Scotty...those numbers/description now make it quite believable for me. And your right, it actually does fly better heavier...certainly at the 18-19 ounces mine weighs. I may have to get back....and get serous re your installation

Post that video!

Ray

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.