Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Alfa Model Mig 15

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 09:41 PM
the Swamp Fox
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Alfa Model Mig 15

who makes the pack ?

I run the same motor as you with Tanic 3s1500's / 1550's

they weigh about 4-4.5 oz don't see your 1500's weighing much more than that.
plus you're less than an ounce over...

plane flies like a champ...

good luck
Old 09-06-2004, 10:16 PM
zagimon

The pack is made by Kokam, also , what is the duration of your flights with your pack.

Thanks,

Fly Tough........
Old 09-07-2004, 02:09 PM
the Swamp Fox

3s1500 kokam is lighter than what I use...sometimes ALFA messes up the weights...I've emailed them about this in the past ...yer AUW is good to go.

I limit flights to 5-9 min..that's plenty for me ..

...because it's hot here now ,and there's not much in the way of motor cooling.

some guys drill holes in the motor mount and/or leave off the rear cone..mine is on ...so...

when it cools off and if the model survives I'll see what I get ...you can get away with longer flights with long ,power-off glides to cool the motor.

good luck!
Old 09-08-2004, 09:11 PM
Mad Skill
My Feedback: (4)

I just bought one of these are there problems with the wing coming off.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:20 AM
Paul Turbine Jet Man

no. just make sure you use 5 min epoxy and remove the paint where the wing is attached. that is the main problem if you dont.
If you do remove paint from gluing surfaces and use epoxy you will be fine.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:47 PM
xtremeRCpilot

Hello,
Can anyone help me determine if my gross weight of 515 grams (18 oz. )will be a problem? I had to add 1 oz. of weight to the nose to get my CG correct. Even after moving my kokam 1500 lipo battery as far up as possible in the fusalage. This is my first jet propelled aircraft and though an avid flyer I don't want to destroy this fine plane during my first flight. Is there any good advice to the best possible take off method via hand or ground launch? Thank you for all your help!!
Safe Landings, JOHN
Old 09-10-2004, 09:33 PM
zagimon

What motor are you using to make plane weigh that much? Also, My 25/25-26 was over heating after about a minute to 2 minutes of flight so deffinately drill alot of holes around motor for cooling because in 90 degree heat, you'll have heat issues. Now the plane fly's at full throttle for whole flight on 1320 and 1500 packs. Youll know if its over heating if motor cuts off and won't start up again till it cools off.

I love this plane though, its the best flying plane on the field. A real joy to fly. Be sure to give it a good throw on hand lauches and you'll be a happy camper.

Fly tough......
Old 09-11-2004, 07:54 AM
xtremeRCpilot

I'm also using the 25/25-26. I was able to adjust the battery and eliminate another 1/2 oz of weight. There is also a 1 oz. weight difference from the kokam 1500 to the thunder power 1320 that Hobby Lobby recommends. I am wondering how you were able to safely bring your plane to the ground once you lost your motor. Is this jet capable of safe landings after a loss of thrust ? It seems very unstable as far as its CG is conserned. I cant wait to fly mine. I will try to get some vent holes around the motor as you suggested. Thank you very much for your reply.
Safe Landings, John
Old 09-11-2004, 02:51 PM
zagimon

Ya , as long as you have some good altitude, you can safley bring her down. Just make sure and keep her high for the first few flights; as to test motor and flight components. even with the kokam 1500, she glides in smoothly and always bounches a few times when landing, making touch and goes easy. Just remember to give her a good toss on take-off.

Fly tough......
Old 09-11-2004, 05:33 PM
xtremeRCpilot

THANK YOU AGAIN AND I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT GOES ONCE I GET IT AIRBORN!! I REALLY APPRIECIATE THE GOOD ADVICE. IT SURE IS A BEAUTY. I HOPE TO GET SOME VIDEO OF IT IN THE AIR AS LONG AS MY MAIDEN FLIGHT IS SUCCESSFUL!!!
SAFE LANDINGS, JOHN
Old 09-11-2004, 09:11 PM
the Swamp Fox

good luck John,

No worries..this is one of the most stable ,easy flying planes of any kind I've ever flown.

Avoid ultra high G manuevers if possible,and draw those turns out.
couple of reasons:

1) you always want to have good airflow through the duct.It takes edf's a little longer to get on step. If you bleed off speed and enter a stall near/stall situation it takes longer to recover..sometimes too late.

2) you want to keep the wings on

give yourself plenty of room to land ,as the model will glide forever.
practice your approach a few times..it will land slow but you'll need to learn how to bleed off the speed...

hand launches are easy just make sure you build up speed and altitude before turning. (no torque effect from props on launch to worry about ...nice... )

RE: CG

I was able to get mine right with no weight by building a larger batt tray .My pack rides right where the duct turns up to the nose.Allowing just enough room for the hatch to close.. you do not want this one tail heavy

good luck all
Old 09-12-2004, 07:24 AM
xtremeRCpilot

Thank you ! All this great advice is going to be helpfull toward my first flight. I will make sure to keep it high so I can test its soft points and still have time to recover as you suggest. Did you also have any problems with overheating and/or did you have to modify your motor casing. Seems there have been a handfull of Mig 15 customers that had there motors cut out? Definitly a good idea to put vent holes around the motor casing. If you get a chance check out Hobby Lobbys alfa model P-51 mustang. Its a great plane I've been having alot of fun with! Have you flown the Ta-183 Huckebein from alfa models, Looks like A fun jet as well with the brushless set up!!
Thank You again!!!
Safe Landings, John
Old 09-13-2004, 03:26 AM
Woody 51

The TA 183 flies pretty well the same as the Mig 15 when set up with a 20-25/26 Mk2.

But be aware of its tendancy to stall and tumble without warning if you suddenly pull on full "up" elevator for a high alpha nose angle, while the model is travelling at high speed

(Typical "T" tail tendancy.)
Old 09-20-2004, 08:28 PM
the Swamp Fox

But be aware of its tendancy to stall and tumble without warning if you suddenly pull on full "up" elevator for a high alpha nose angle, while the model is travelling at high speed
Hmm..I've yet to see this with the MiG .Not saying it won't happen or it could be forced to do so.
Whenever I pull up hard you can watch the anhedral flex out and up she goes . same when rolling to invert and pushing up stick for a nice ,steep climb-out. If you don't come into that one with enough speed it will snap a little at the top,drop a wing and recover pretty easily as it begins to dive. The MiG V-stab / h-stab/elevator arrangement is quite different than the 183.

In any event, you maiden yet , John ?

G'luck all
Old 09-21-2004, 07:56 AM
xtremeRCpilot

Hello All, still waiting to get the MIG up in flight! Just been having alot of fun with other aircraft recently purchased! We have a huge indoor sports dome where anyone with an AMA can fly there electric aircraft all winter. There is a gentelman from another local club that brings his mig and puts it to the test. Hopefully this is where I will take my maiden flight with trim help from this experienced pilot. My local park has alot of trees which makes me unsure of being able to get it trimed out fast enough and possibly crashing. I will take all your great advice and put it to use when I take my first EDF journey!!!
SAFE LANDINGS, JOHN
Old 09-21-2004, 09:10 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Now they need an F-86 to fly against!
Old 09-23-2004, 03:22 AM
Woody 51

Hi Swampy,

No the MIG does not suffer the "T Tail tumble problem, but the TA-183 does.

My comment was in reply to the previous posting where the question was asked about the TA183 in the closing paragraph.

I have just converted my TA183 to the MPJET 20-25 Mk 2 Brushless (and 3 cell Lipoly.)
It's speed is now on par with my MIG powered by the same motor.

If anyone is looking at the TA183, then I really do recommend the change to Brushless over the Speed 300 on the model.

But as I said, just careful on the elevator when travelling at max (brushless powered) speed with this bird. Apply elevator slowly, don't just yank full "up", or down you will go!
Old 09-24-2004, 11:12 PM
the Swamp Fox

My comment was in reply to the previous posting where the question was asked about the TA183 in the closing paragraph.
Sorry bud, missed that ... reading helps !

If anyone is looking at the TA183, then I really do recommend the change to Brushless
same here..I wouldn't fly any EDF with a Brushed motor .

hmmm.. I only have one brushed plane come to think of it.Its a twin so $$ was a little tight .
Old 09-25-2004, 05:05 AM
Woody 51

My 2 Alfa Props are still Brushed powered. I fly these at a local park, so I have to be careful of speed and anyway, their performance with the stock setup is just fine for me.

EDF wise. Yeah, Brushless is the only way.

I also have a mini "Hotliner" (Gerbhart Acro Baby) with an AXI up front (great fun) and have just ordered a Multiplex Foamy (pusher). It will also have an AXI up the back.

I fly the Hotliner and the EDF's at a slope soaring site in the country, so can get away with the extra speed and power.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:00 PM
iflyprops

I heard a rumor about Alpha working on an F86...anyone know anything abou this?
Old 10-04-2004, 06:16 PM
Woody 51

In an e-mail conversation I had with Alfa a few months ago in which various warbirds suitable for modelling kits on were discussed, Alfa advivsed that they were "going to produce a Sabre, but no decision had been made as to which one."

I read this as being any of the F86 models, or even the F100.

(I think that an F100 would be great!)

Remember that just down the road from them is Flying Styro and neither company really wants to continue duplicating what the other is making, as they did with the FW-190. Alfa shelved their Yak 3 because F/S beat them to it. So watch to see what F/S introduce as well.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:28 PM
Woody 51

Swampy, what size pack are you running in your Mig?
Old 10-04-2004, 08:16 PM
iflyprops

A F100 would be nice However I think I still would like a plain old F86, maybe even a D model. However, if anyone has few bucks to spend (on gas) here is a real one for sale...I'll fly it for you... http://www.shermanaircraft.com/cgi-bin/aircraft.pl

-Adam
Old 10-05-2004, 01:09 AM
matthewh

What is about the max flight time you can get out of the Mig? Has anyone mounted a wireless camera on one of these yet?

Matthew
Old 10-05-2004, 04:23 PM
Woody 51

Max time would depend upon battery pack specs and also type of motor used. Many guys are substituting other motors over the recommended MPJET 25-25/26 Mk2.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.