Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Need a New Plane

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 10:10 PM
Shortymet55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a New Plane

I have a cheap 2-channel plane. I crashed it because I wasnt high enough to turn. Unfortunatly, without elevators I cant tell it to go up. I need to wait forit to accend.

Anyways I want a rather cheap, but quality 3-channel. Ive searched all forums, but can find what im looking for.

I want:
3-channel
Landing gear

Would prefer:
Take-off able
ailerons
RTF
sharp turning (fly in small area(plane now turns to slow so i need to drive to get to a place to fly))

Thats about it. Any suggestions. I would like ti to be under $200 but i can spend twice that is i need to. Ill be flying at a local schoolground.
And suggestions thanks.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:59 PM
Bevo

Default RE: Need a New Plane

Check out the Styker and the Typhoon 3d by Park Zone. They are the only two I know of that come with aileron control.

Bevo
Old 01-31-2006, 07:02 AM
Shortymet55

That Typhoon 3D looks awesome. Im gonna try to find some vids for it (other than one on its internet site)
Old 01-31-2006, 10:19 AM
Leo L

If you have only flown a 2-channel plane, getting the Stryker or the Typhoon will be a big mistake. Neither plane is a good beginner's plane. You are at least one plane away from the Stryker and two planes away from the Typhoon.

From the description of your requirements, the best plane would be the Slow-V. It doesn't have ailerons, but it can be flown in a relativley small area, can take off easily and is well under $200. Once you are comfortable with the Slow-V, you can move up to the Cub, Decathlon or a plane with ailerons. The Stryker is too fast and covers too much ground to fly in the park that you describe.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:01 PM
Shortymet55

Ok, thanks alot. Ill look into a Slow V. Im really looking at a plane that can go in a small schoolyard and can accually go up and down so I dont have to wait for it to acsend like my old plane. It also turned horribly. took forever. I dont need anything 3D or fast, just one I can fly. And take off and landings would be fun too.

Im guessing the slow-V cant take off on grass, so can it on loose dirt and t baseball field. I have one nearby.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:15 PM
Shortymet55

Anyone have one of these? If so is it good for what what im looking for? http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJPU8&P=0 or http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKLV7&P=0
Old 01-31-2006, 09:09 PM
Shortymet55

What about http://www.mountainmodels.com/magpie.php . Looks good, but I would def. buy everything seperate.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:55 AM
Shortymet55

Suggestions? Noone has flown any of the planes I have links for above? Maybe send me a link of your first plane.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Spid

Hi Shorty.

I think the THawk would be an excellent choice. If you really want to take off and land with it, buy the "heavy duty" landing gear. Here's the link:

http://www.readytoflyfun.com/thawnimwssfm.html

Happy flying!
Old 02-02-2006, 06:27 PM
Shortymet55

That looks like a great plane!
Old 02-02-2006, 08:09 PM
Spid

Here's a link to some THawk videos....

http://www.readytoflyfun.com/thawkvideos.html [8D]
Old 02-02-2006, 08:30 PM
Shortymet55

Ye, I saw those.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:09 PM
greenflight

My first look at moutain models magpie. Instead of recommending GWS slow stick I might recommend the magpie to my students instead.
Epp foam, handles a breeze and fly's very light. The magpie looks great, and price is not bad either for a plane that can handle some abuse. Just make sure that whatever you choose use a propsaver on it. Will save many props and a few flying days as well.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:53 AM
Shortymet55

Ok, so now im not sure on wether to get a magpie or T-Hawk. I could probably learn to fly with both. The magpie cost more but comes with a wing with ailerons. T-Hawk doesnt buts cheaper.

So im stuck. Does anyone have experience with both? Witch one turns quickest. Im guessing it wuold be T-Hawk for its smaller? I asking because I would like to fly in a schoolyard. Its large enough to have to baseball fields, one at each end. Do you with I could fly both in this area. Im not sure exacly how large it is acre maybe on its short side and 2 acres long? If this isnt big enough I can go to other place that are larger, but I would rather not cuz they are farther. Thanks so much for your help guys.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:54 AM
Spid

I really think either will do. I like the THawk because I flow it before and taught my Dad to fly with one. It's durable, can fly slow when you need it too, turns quickly when you need it too and would work for the area(s) you are describing to fly at. I haven't personally flow a magpie, but I've heard nothing but good things about mountain model planes. The magpie with ailerons will probably turn quicker. I think the THawk is one of the best "bang for your buck" RTF packages you can get and their customer service is top notch (imho).

One other one popped in my head that's a real nice package and that's the Space Scooter by multiplex. This one may be an even better choice for you as it's a great aileron trainer.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/240028.asp

The Wing Dragon from Hobby-Lobby is another one you might want to look at as well....

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/wingdragon.htm

Best of luck with whichever model you choose as they all will put a smile on your face. [8D]
Old 02-06-2006, 01:09 PM
Leo L

Most of the planes listed are good planes, but they require more room for flying than you have available, based on your description. You should have an area that is at least 600ft. x 600ft. for these planes, particularly the pusher planes. When you get good at flying them they can be flown in a much smaller area, but for a beginner, you need the space to allow for mistakes.

The Slow-V, or Slow-Stick (if you want to build), are probably your best bet as a beginner plane for your restricted air space.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:07 AM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The T-Hawk is far and away the plane for you.

Although I love the Magpie, it has a couple things going against it for a starter plane:

[ul][*] Front motor/prop: prone to damage upon crashing[*] EPS foam, not EPP. Even when you tape the leading edges of the wing, this is not as durable as EPP. The T-Hawk isn't EPP either, but rather a mix of materials (more on that later)
[/ul]

The T-Hawk has a plastic fuselage that is indestructible. Take it from me, I've tested it... [&o] The wing and tail are not as tough as the fuselage, but the package comes with a spare of each, as well as two spare props.

It does not have ailreons, but it has a polyhedral wing shape that lets the rudder make it bank quite well. Its stock speed 400 makes plenty of power, so you can fly in some pretty good winds, once you have some stick time under your belt. The T-Hawk soars like there's no tomorrow. The T-Hawk includes a very nice little 1 hour AC/DC peak charger. You can charge the batteries from your car cigarette lighter socket or your wall socket at home. It also includes two battery packs. (pay the extra $10 or so and upgrade to the 900 mAh NiMH packs)

I bought my T-Hawk as a learner, and it is still flying very well, despite having been drilled into the ground more times than I'd care to admit, and being treed once. I also bought the beefed-up landing gear, though it was a complete waste. The stock landing gear is crap. That much is true. But once you realize that this plane is at its best when hand-launching and belly-landing, you'll be better off. The beefy landing gear would handle asphault landings no problem. But it also increases the weight, which means it doesn't soar as well. It spoils the aerodynamics too. The thick plastic fuselage just glides along your grass field so beautifully... you'll see what I mean.

Just do yourself (and your plane) a favor and practice up on FMS first. (it's a free flight simulator, find it with Google, download it, and save some plane parts! You'll need a dual analog USB controller for $20)
Old 02-09-2006, 07:09 AM
Shortymet55

Thanks, I've been practicing with a T-hawk on FMS. I use my helicopter radio.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:37 AM
amitysanimal

I have the Magpie and I love it. I have nose dived it in a few times and it hasn't done a thing to it. I agree it may be too big for your area, but it is an excellent plane. It also flies with quite a bit of wind too.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:59 PM
navihawk

Hi there. I was going to buy the T-hawk for myself, but i really like scale looking airplanes. After much searching and questioning i decided to buy the Flyzone Skypilot. Its 120 for the rtf version. Have to say that was a great choice. I had never flown any RC before. I know a lot about aviation and flying with realistic simulators like flight Sim but not RC airplanes. That skipilot is great. Its tough and cheap to fix. Its only a 3 channel. Rudder, Elevator, and throttle. Its easy to fly. It turns quickly especially if you use the step above the recommend throws. But do that after you have done a couple of flights. I crashed a couple of times and fixing it was easy. The thing that breaks the most is the wing. But only cost 20 bucks to get a new one and the hobby stores have tons of them. Guess its a good airplane. You should definitely check it out. Ive flown it in small areas, about the size of what your talking about. If you push the throttle all the way it will fly kinda fast. Its great to take off and land it. Does it very scale like and very slow speeds too. Check out some vids and I have made a few while flying that i can send you or something.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:41 PM
Shortymet55

GREAT, I'd love to see some videos. Thanks
Old 02-12-2006, 10:21 AM
kcsport

Helllo! I've been looking at the SkyFly or the Freedom myself and now the Aerobird. Keep us informed!
Old 02-12-2006, 12:58 PM
Shortymet55

i'll look at my LHS and see what they have. I know they sell airplanes. I was ther two days ago, but I forgot which heli they had. I think it was a Freedom or Commander. Something like that.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:28 AM
IWC

I will buying a Hobbico Skyfly.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:23 PM
Shortymet55

I was leaning towards a SkyFly at first, however the extra parts the T-Hawk comes with took me to the dark side.