Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Engine Conversions
Reload this Page >

Homelite 26cc gas engine conversion help

Community
Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Homelite 26cc gas engine conversion help

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 01:03 AM
sierra_bravo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Homelite 26cc gas engine conversion help

Well I was looking in my shed for some metal rods for a landing gear and in a corner of the shed I see a gas Home-lite leaf blower with a 26CC engine. I didn't test the engine because the only thing going threw my head was "well got to take this engine out of it's plastic cage" and so I did pull it out and cleaned it up a bit and also repainted the muffler but I dont know if it will run. I tested the spark plug and it does work. The rubber part of the primer bulb broke so I know I have to replace that and was thinking about this kit to replace the bulb and some of the fuel line. The carburetor will open and close smoothly but I dont think it will work for a RC engine since i dont think i can hook up a servo. I dont know alot about small gas engines but I am pretty sure the piston has compression. The gasket for the crank shaft has to be replaced and the spinning part (which I think is called the fly wheel) spins smoothly. My goal with engine is to get it working to put in a SPAD 1/5 scale piper J-3 cub and to take it to a AMA event at my field. The event is August 15th which gives me around 50 days to get the motor running, build the plane, and get it to fly.

So since I'm 13 and dont have alot of experience with gas engines I need some help on what I should do to get this motor running. My first question is how can I test if the engine will run. Should I just reconnect the fuel tank fill it with some gas and try it that way or it there some other way.

Thanks
-sam

Last edited by sierra_bravo; 06-24-2015 at 01:07 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:16 AM
sierra_bravo

Here are some photos of the motor.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1583
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	2105455   Click image for larger version

Views:	1438
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	2105456   Click image for larger version

Views:	1365
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	2105457   Click image for larger version

Views:	1539
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	2105458   Click image for larger version

Views:	1421
Size:	623.3 KB
ID:	2105459  
Old 06-24-2015, 10:11 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

W8ye, I've got a bunch going on and I'm going to let you take this one....

Sorry,
AV8TOR
Old 06-24-2015, 04:40 PM
sierra_bravo

So slight change of plan. After reading about this motor on the RCU forum I decided that I will not be using it but instead I will use a 25cc motor of a similar size. I still have to find a 25cc motor and I'm looking on ebay now.

-sam
Old 06-24-2015, 05:28 PM
av8tor1977

I've got a Homelite 25cc, and a much better, Homelite 30cc that I can sell you cheap. You can convert them and you'll be much happier than with the engine you have. Send me a private message if you're interested.

AV8TOR
Old 06-24-2015, 05:28 PM
av8tor1977

I've got a Homelite 25cc, and a much better, Homelite 30cc that I can sell you cheap. You can convert them and you'll be much happier than with the engine you have. Send me a private message if you're interested.

AV8TOR
Old 06-24-2015, 05:29 PM
av8tor1977

Sorry for the double post. Man, sometimes these computer/website glitches are a pain....

AV8TOR
Old 06-24-2015, 05:40 PM
sierra_bravo

I feel your glitch based pain. My keyboard for some reason thinks that sometimes when I press the N key once I need 3 Ns not 1. I am interested in the motors and will send you a PM shortly.

Thank you.
-sam
Old 06-24-2015, 05:55 PM
sierra_bravo

Ok I sent a PM and hopefully you will receive it soon.

-sam
Old 06-25-2015, 08:30 AM
sierra_bravo

Since I dont have the machines to make the parts to convert the engine I was think of buying parts from Jag engines to convert it. So I would need a new muffler and the prop adapter also possible a 11mm carburetor to convert the engine to RC airplane use along making the engine lighter by removing unnecessary parts?

-sam
Old 06-25-2015, 10:32 AM
av8tor1977

Yes, though a muffler is easy to make from the original and save the money on that. You just pry apart the muffler, take out all the guts, and then drill the holes and weld in outlet tubes. If you got it all ready to weld, a welding shop would probably weld or braze the outlet tubes in for you quite cheaply. I make most of my mufflers this way, and if anything, they actually weigh less than the aluminum ones you buy.

AV8TOR
Old 06-25-2015, 01:11 PM
sierra_bravo

Thanks for the tip. I still have the muffler from the 26cc engine that I was thinking of using but I cant get the back cover off. Does anyone have any tips on how to do this?

Thanks
-sam
Old 06-25-2015, 01:23 PM
av8tor1977

I'll be sending you a muffler that works great for converting along with the Homelite 30cc. It's a nice little square one and fits the Homelite 30cc. You should wait for it to arrive. I carefully clamp them in a vice, and then using a sharp screw driver, I bit by bit open up the crimp that holds the muffler halves together. When you have worked your way around and gotten the crimp open enough, the muffler will come apart. Do it a little at a time so that you don't damage the muffler. Then when you take everything out from inside the muffler except the two bolt spacers that keep the muffler from crushing when the bolts are tightened, you can put it back together. Put it back in a vise, and use a hammer and a punch to little by little re-close that crimp. I usually coat the halves with JB Weld before crimping them back together to assure they don't leak and make a mess on the front of the airplane. Then you can make your outlet holes, prepare your outlet tubes, and weld them in. Done deal...

AV8TOR
Old 06-25-2015, 01:31 PM
sierra_bravo

Thank you.
-sam
Old 06-25-2015, 07:01 PM
sierra_bravo

I forgot to ask but does your 30cc homelite engine have a low and high speed needel on the carb.

Thanks
-sam
Old 06-26-2015, 06:42 PM
av8tor1977

Yes, it does, and I will provide you with a good carb to use with the engine, so no need to buy another. Perhaps just a rebuild kit for the one I send you.

Hey! I provide full service!

AV8TOR
Old 06-26-2015, 07:17 PM
sierra_bravo

Great this engine gets better and better. What would those full services be, converting the engine for me at an additional charge?

-sam

Last edited by sierra_bravo; 06-26-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:41 PM
av8tor1977

Sorry but no. I have to both vacate the house I've been renting because it has been sold, and also undergo major surgery in less than two weeks.

AV8TOR
Old 06-27-2015, 05:31 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by av8tor1977
Sorry but no. I have to both vacate the house I've been renting because it has been sold, and also undergo major surgery in less than two weeks.

AV8TOR
Good luck on both your move and your surgery. You have been a great help to both the OP and the rest of us in your help with conversions. If the deal with the 30 cc with the OP falls through, please let me know, I can source all the needed parts and do all of the non-machining conversion work myself. Thanks again.

Sincerely. Richard
Old 06-27-2015, 10:01 AM
sierra_bravo

I'm very sorry to hear that. Hopefully you will be able recover quickly. Thanks for such a great motor for such a low price. As for the rebuild kit I was planing on buying this one from home depot and also for the prop adapter I was planing on using something like this. Also if I pay for the engine today when will you be able to ship it.

Thanks
-sam
Old 06-27-2015, 10:32 AM
av8tor1977

You're certainly welcome. I have been sorry to see the decline in "action" here in the conversions forum. They make great engines and I would far rather have a good conversion engine than one of the Chinese offerings myself. Plus, there is always the self satisfaction and pleasure of doing the conversion, and showing it to others. Every time I tell people that the airplane they just saw fly and do crazy stunts is powered by a (weedeater, leaf blower, chainsaw) engine, I get totally amazed responses. Some times people at the flying fields will "look down their noses" at such a plane, and say "Oh, it's powered by a WEEDEATER engine" in a desultory manner. Then they see how it runs and performs, and they quickly change their attitudes.

Anyway, I'm glad to help, and glad that I have been of help to many. Thank you for your appreciation and good wishes.

AV8TOR
Old 06-27-2015, 10:49 AM
av8tor1977

Originally Posted by sierra_bravo
I'm very sorry to hear that. Hopefully you will be able recover quickly. Thanks for such a great motor for such a low price. As for the rebuild kit I was planing on buying this one from home depot and also for the prop adapter I was planing on using something like this. Also if I pay for the engine today when will you be able to ship it.

Thanks
-sam
That would be a good fuel filter to use in the tank, but that is not a carb rebuild kit like you will be needing. You need to wait and see which number carb you are actually going to use, then order a rebuild kit from someone like www.sepw.com or www.jackssmallengines.com

Also, that would not be a good option for a prop hub. It won't have enough surface area for the prop to seat against. You need one that looks something like the photo below. Try www.lambertsrc.com, or www.jagengines.com and see if they have one or will make you one for a Homelite 30cc. (A hub for a Homelite 25cc would be exactly the same.)

These are actual pictures of a Homelite 30cc.

AV8TOR
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HOMELITE 30.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	2106032   Click image for larger version

Name:	HOMELITE 28.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	2106033  
Old 06-27-2015, 11:28 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by sierra_bravo

Thanks
-sam
Hello Sam/sierra_bravo,

I mean this very sincerely, and I hope you take it as such. Your relative lack of understanding of gasoline engines as they are used for model application causes me much concern for your safety as well as that of those around you. May I suggest you enlist the help and guidance of someone that you can reach out in real time and real space. Also. read ALL that you can here on RCU and any other online sites for gasoline engine operation and use for RC models. A spinning propeller can inflict great harm to people and property and needs to be treated with great respect and understanding. Enjoy the hobby, but respect the potential hazards. Good luck.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 06-27-2015, 11:32 AM
av8tor1977

Excellent post and thank you for making it. To the OP, be sure to read the "stickies" at the beginning of both this forum and the one at the beginning of the "Gas Engines" forum.

AV8TOR
Old 06-27-2015, 01:49 PM
tclocs

I didn't read all the posts here but I have a Ryobi 31 cc engine with prop adaptor and the flywheel already machined I have no need for the engine, has carb and muffler ready to bolt on to the plane. 35 plus shipping. I have one on a World Models GS Spitifre.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.