Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

How many would want to build one?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)
View Poll Results: A poll
Submit plans to a magazine
44.44%
Publish plans
33.33%
Forget it
22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

How many would want to build one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How many would want to build one?

This is my Bullet, subject of a build thread in this forum.

It uses the wing panels from a Laddie Mikulasko Arrow, is powered by an OS 46AX and has mechanical retractable landing gear.

It is very fast and maneuverable and was quick to build. (The fuse took less than a month, was kind of designed as you go, and I goofed off a lot.) It's easy to build because all the formers can be slid onto a 3/8 steel rod for alignment.

If any of you think I should submit the plans to Model Aviation or some other magazine, or just publish and sell them myself, please respond to this survey.

The design would be primarily for electric power, probably a 32 to 50 size outrunner, and would not have wing drawings, except for some notes on the elevons. Foam wing cores can be had from Bob at flyingfoam.com, about $90 w/shipping.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27470.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	1696655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90080.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	1696656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au57030.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	1696657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41185.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	1696658  
Old 12-07-2011, 11:20 AM
BiggerDanno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How many would want to build one?

How does it fly?
Old 12-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Mustang Fever

BiggerDano:

It's a typical delta: very good top end (depending on power chosen) and yet will slow down very well for landing.

I learned from flying my Arrows that the best landings are accomplished with a slightly nose down, power off approach, then lift the nose up high (25-35 degrees) when close to the ground (or water) to slow it for a gentle touchdown. The mechanical gear has been 100% reliable and because the mains retract and extend fore/aft, minor bending of the struts has no effect on the function.

With the 46 turning a 10x6 APC, it has an unlimited vertical. It tached at 15,000 RPM on the ground with a Macs muffler, so top end is
somewhere between 85 and 90mph, with at least 7 pounds of thrust. My notes show that RTF (dry) it weighed 6 pounds.

The roll rate is typical delta wing fast, and it will turn very tightly without stalling as long as the power is kept up.

I didn't put a rudder on this one, just nose wheel steering, but that would be very easy to do.

It does like to have some counter torque weighting in the right wing tip (I use .75 oz), or it exhibits a nasty left torque roll on lift off. Other than that, it doesn't seem to have any bad habits.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:30 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool plane. As a scratch designer and builder I got enough that I want to build. For a guy that wants to build from plans it looks like a winner.[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 12-07-2011, 05:37 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

90 dollars for some cut foam? is that the right price?
Old 12-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Mustang Fever

Yeah, I had a set done for my Arrows, and they were $86.26 including shipping. They have to do them in three sections because of the extreme taper in the wing, so there's three times as much machine time as a conventional wing. I'm glad to have them, tho, as the built up wings were always getting such a beating in the water.

Anyone who doesn't want to pay that price could always order the plans for Laddie's Arrow from RCM Plans and make the built up wings. They will come out about 5-7 oz lighter than the foam core ones. (I used finishing epoxy to bond the 1/16 balsa skins to my cores is probably why they came out a little heavier. After much bad luck with contact cement, I wasn't willing to use anything else.)

The Arrow plans are available at: http://www.rcmplans.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=2148