RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/2186098-akm-su-27-flanker-does-look-good.html)

jetpilotrich 01-20-2005 10:48 PM

RE: AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good

Had not weighed it yet! Will get all that info to you soon.

Rich

HaveBlue 01-21-2005 06:38 PM

Man I gotta get me one of these, just for the looks alone!!!![8D]

Blade47 01-25-2005 04:24 PM

Have a look on AK Models site under customer pictures ..... Alex has posted a very nice looking Su27.

Pete

Cyclic Hardover 01-25-2005 04:28 PM

Is it back on line?

bob27s 01-25-2005 04:57 PM

http://ak-models.com/su27.htm

I see he put Rich Baker's plane up on the page. He did a good job on that.

Cyclic Hardover 01-25-2005 06:25 PM

I just saw your pics on AKMs site. Looks real good. Let us know how it goes in the air. What prop are you starting with on your 90. I have been runing a 12/8 here . Rpms are lower due to the alltitude but the engine is pulling good on my Ultra Sport. I mayjust pull that engine and stick it in the flanker since it has been very relable and just replace the Ultra Sport with another j-90. By the way, di dyou ever get a weight on it???? Seems like your running an identical set up as me.

ORIGINAL: jetpilotrich

Will get some out shortly. I just got a new camera and I want to get some great pictures for Alex and everyone. I just need to break in the engine and fly it. If weather permits and no other problems are found during the engine break-in/taxi tests.... I will probably fly it this weekend! But you know how that goes..... usually something needs to be tweaked or adjusted.

Hopefully I will have some pics by the end of the weekend......

Rich:D

AirGar 01-25-2005 11:03 PM

Hey Snoop,

You ever try to swing an APC 11x9 in your altitude with the 90? If so, what kind of rpm were you getting? What about the 12x7? Just curious...

smchale 01-26-2005 08:13 AM

Cool thread and build guys! Not quite sure how i missed it before....thanks for sharing! Looks like a neat project and the kit is quite resonably priced IMHO. Keep the pics a'comin'!!

Cyclic Hardover 01-26-2005 09:03 AM

Way ahead of ya, I have an 11/11apc in the tool box. With the 12/7 I am getting 12,200rpm. Were guessing that I am getting about 120mph. The club has a radar gun but can't get a bead on me. However another plane here was beamed at 100mph and I can blow right by it.

ORIGINAL: AirGar

Hey Snoop,

You ever try to swing an APC 11x9 in your altitude with the 90? If so, what kind of rpm were you getting? What about the 12x7? Just curious...

Cyclic Hardover 01-26-2005 09:06 AM

FYI to everyone--- AKM Models new webpage is www.akmodels.bizland.com

bob27s 01-26-2005 10:18 AM

ORIGINAL: AirGar

Hey Snoop,

The 11x9 has worked real well on the SJ-90L at lower altitudes. Loads the engine a bit, but with care setting the needle and installed on a plane that lets it unload, it works very well. A few Toni and Patriot guys have told me they were happy with that combination.

The key to the 90L is RPM. Has to remain high. Closer to 14K the better. Above is ok. Below...... is ok to within limits...gotta keep it 12.5K rpm or higher peak on the ground.

At altitude where Snoop is, things change quite a bit...... rpm is down, but drag is reduced a bit too .... so his prop selections are a bit different.

Im interested to see how that 11x11 works out up there.

Bob

Cyclic Hardover 01-26-2005 11:42 AM

It's kind of funny that many don't realize how altitude effects the engine performance. We really take a beating up here and or the Denver area. Also the type of air in the area. Turbines run like crap here yet run very well in Denver. Whatever the "norm" is on anything engine related does not work here. Perfect example is my rpm numbers o my 90L with the 12/7 apc at 12,200 and you guys down lower are in the mid 14,000. You install a true 60 in a 60 size plane and its going to be a lead sled.

HaveBlue 01-28-2005 10:50 PM

well..its done now!!!.. I couldnt resist..I just had to get one of these kits...there goes my jett90l money...DOH!!!...looks like I'll have to hit up the boss for more overtime , whats the good of a plane like this without the proper powerplant.. hope mine turns out half as good as some the pic's Ive seen through out this thread...and yes I am paying close attention to all the advise , this is a big help to me because I can even stuff up ARF's believe it or not .. ( first arf I had I didnt really get how to glue in those tape hinges..didnt like them anyway and want proper hinges to begin with..got my wish!!!) BTW has anyone checked out the movie clip on the akm site of the first and second flight of the prototype..is this gonna be a fast plane or not so????, I dont have quicktime and at 20megs to download ,will just kill me as I have gone past my download limit and am surfing at 28.8kbs...in the age of cable ..that sucks!!!!

anyways keep posting the photos this is a fantastic build thread guys ..thanks for sharing it!!!!!!!!

Rudeboy 01-28-2005 11:08 PM

This plane is not going to be fast... (I know ... I 've got the fuse in my hands)

A Jett .90L may get you a few more MPH compared to an... but is it worth it....? I do not think so... at least not for a speed-sport plane....

Now if it were a full blown SPEED plane I would consider a 500$ engine... but not for the AKM Flanker, tha's just a Saturday pastime....

Cyclic Hardover 01-28-2005 11:10 PM

You need to down load the manual form the site because one does not come with it. If the pictures come out weak, don't worry, the same pictures and more will be on a CD that will come with it.

hattend 01-28-2005 11:13 PM

The manual is on the CD...pdf file

Don

ORIGINAL: Snoop Doggy Bag

You need to down load the manual form the site because one does not come with it. If the pictures come out weak, don't worry, the same pictures and more will be on a CD that will come with it.

HaveBlue 01-28-2005 11:17 PM

I might just try using my 1.08 fsr on this one.. and take it from there. I think it might be ok with a 14X8. ground clearance permitting!!

downloading the manual was a chore with my current internet speed

THEGRINCMAN 01-29-2005 11:35 PM

I have pics of my su-27 now. Could someone tell me how to post them . I never have done this. I took them on my 35mm camera, and had them put on a disk.

hattend 01-29-2005 11:51 PM

Hit the reply botton in the upper right of this box

when the window comes up, look in the lower left, it says "Click here to upload!"

You'll be able to upload 4 pics as long as the total size is 3 meg or less. Just click to upload and it'll take a while (or not) depending on file(s) size and connection speed

Don

THEGRINCMAN 01-30-2005 12:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I will give it a try.

Cyclic Hardover 01-30-2005 09:27 AM

Looks real good. When you going to fly it.

THEGRINCMAN 01-30-2005 11:13 AM

I live in central IL the weather is not to good right now. It will be in a couple of months. I balanced it as per plans, a little nose down. When I set it on the table the nose wheel comes off a little like it is tail heavy. I e-mailed Alex , and he said it sounds good to him and to go fly it. So I will have to see.

Blade47 01-30-2005 11:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a little MIG to SU wing comparison ...When I built the MIG I did extend the wing tips by 1.5 each side ,,just for the fun of it..Now I dropped the missile rails in favor of hard balsa hollowed out extend wing tips ..but this time 3" on each wing tip :D just for the fun of it as well....and I covered in both top and bottom of the wing.

Pete

Blade47 02-07-2005 10:27 PM

Hey Snoop! a Q for you.... When you sheeted in the top of the fuse and working from the tail to the nose ...did sheet number two have a small 1/4" or there abouts notch in the top corner? if so where did you put the corner?

Pete

Cyclic Hardover 02-08-2005 09:02 AM

The only two notches that come to mind are on the very back of the fuselage which help hold on the big tailcone when that gets built. Those notches are about 1 1/2 inches apart and on the bottome side of the fuse. is that it?