RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/2186098-akm-su-27-flanker-does-look-good.html)

jetpilotrich 01-11-2013 06:02 PM

RE: AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good

Those pictures remind me of my plane...

Quikturn 01-17-2013 01:20 PM

ORIGINAL: jetpilotrich

Those pictures remind me of my plane...
Are you still flying yours? How is it holding up?

I have the kit but never got going on it. Does the elevator linkage really need to be improved?

I have a new 91 fx for power. I thought with a tuned pipe it should move out.

Rudeboy 01-17-2013 02:03 PM

The elevator and rudder linkages definitely need attention. Make em absolutely slop-free. Use epoxy bearings for the torque rods, or something similar, as long as it's absolutely slop-free.
It's no big deal if you plan it into the construction as you go ahead.

iFLYrc_Vic 01-18-2013 04:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Seeing these updates on this model kindles some interest in resurrecting/rebuilding my model. I had a crash on the third flight after a dead stick - did not make it back to the runway.

Since I have gone totally electric (no glow planes remaining in the hanger), I had thoughts of bringing mine back as an electric powered model. I have looked to see if anyone else has built and flown this model with electric power, but have not seen any reports. I have a few projects that I am currently working on, but if there is a lull in my model building projects, I might take this on as a challenge.

Quikturn 01-18-2013 07:23 AM

Hello Vic,

You did a beautiful job on your SU 27. Is that piped 91 FX I see there? Did it provide enough power when it did run? I wonder if it needs a fuel pump for more reliability. With this size airplane, can you go electric without adding weight? I imagine the batteries required would be quite heavy. How about a DF unit between the tail fins?

Rudeboy, when I was getting ready to build my kit, I was reading the build threads and saw those epoxy hinges you are talking about. Some people were also recommending larger torque rods for the elevators too. Probably not such a big deal but both of these issues made me put the project aside. I always thought adding flaps would be cool too.

I noticed all the builds are finished in demonstration colors. No camo? Probably easier to see when flying that way.

iFLYrc_Vic 01-18-2013 01:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That is an OS 91FX. It flew the plane well with the long Rossi tuned pipe, 13 x 8 APC prop (11,500 rpm). As for the paint scheme, there is no camouflage scheme that looks nearly as good as any of the Aero Team paints (IMHO).

I also fabricated Epoxy bearings for the Flanker.

Vic

twn 04-21-2014 12:16 AM

What servos are you guys using with the flanker on the elevators rudders and ailerons? I am curious to know what has held up with the higher speeds?

Real2You 05-19-2020 11:04 AM

Hello all,

It's been a few years since any action on this thread but here goes....I have a AKM SU-27 kit that's been sitting a while and I finally want to build it. I have rolled plans and a booklet but I am told the original kit came with a CD. I bought the kit used and it didn't have the CD.
Anybody by chance have a CD I can purchase? Has anyone built this kit without the CD? I'm tempted to just go for it and start the build without the CD. How hard of a kit is it? Any input would be appreciated. I have built about 6 or 7 kits so I have some experience building from a kit but never a jet.

lgaines85 05-19-2020 11:14 AM

CD for the Flanker.

I have the same kit and yet to build it. It’s my next project and yes I do have a CD. I’ll dig it out and sent it your way. Shoot me your email address.

L. Gaines.

hattend 05-19-2020 11:21 AM

If you don't find one, I will be home next week and I can look in my SU-27 kit and see if there is a CD/DVD in it and if there is, I can get a copy out to you.

I work in Alaska and my stuff is in California so when I get home I have a honey-do list the length of my arm but I will try to get this mission done for you.

PM me your contact information

Don

Real2You 05-19-2020 03:20 PM

Thanks! I really appreciate it...I'll PM you. And thanks Don I'll let you know. This kit looks like a fun build and a different type of plane.

Vettster 04-30-2023 06:37 AM

Just posting this so it remains in my subscribed threads for reference. I just bought one from an estate sale. The gent did a very nice job building it but he did not make all the upgrades, so I will have to address them. The plane was never flown. This thread was a huge help towards many things but most important the CG as explained by Rich

Clugh 06-05-2023 06:47 PM

Incredible wood workj. Thats beautiful bro!!!!