Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JR stops the sales of 2.4 as of last night for upgrade

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JR stops the sales of 2.4 as of last night for upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 09:53 AM
jmpdgs
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: JR stops the sales of 2.4 as of last night for upgrade

Spektrum/JR upgrades seem to be a natural progression in the advancement of their business model. The patents on DSM2 have either come to an end or been so violated as to make them moot and in order to stay an industry leader, something has to happen. In the past, the TX models being replaced have been able to be upgraded and the new models have been backwardly compatible with the late model RXs. I'm relatively certain that such will be the case with the release of DSMX as well with the added benefits that DSM2 equipment will be available at greatly reduced prices which will make them tremendously popular/useful as the DSMX technology offers very little "real world" improvements over DSM2. Think of it as changing insurance companies or upgrading your policy. The benefit may be there, but you pray you'll never need to know or use it.

Interestingly that DX10 doesn't seem to be a DSMX radio, although I could be wrong.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:03 AM
jrb1

Will have rebind my 30+ models if I send my 9503 in for the upgrade?

Hope not!

Soem are a real PITA to do RX in 1/4 Cub under the seat, etc.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:14 AM
ka9fax
My Feedback: (9)

jrb1,
of course if u buy 30+ new RX you would have to bind them. but are u really planing on doing that?? I can see doing this for my two 100cc planes for insurance, but the rest of my 16 plane fleet will stay on DSM2. as far as rebinding, when i went from my 9309 to the 9503 i copyed everything from 1 tx to the other, but still had to rebind everything of corse. but its no big deal, what a min. or two for each model.
tony
Old 02-17-2011, 10:19 AM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like I stay with 72MHZ another year.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:26 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU
I don't think you are correct. Futaba has not shared anything. JR / Spectrum does not hop. It still locks on to two channels. The only difference is how the channels are selected. I'm satisfied I got a good explanation of this from someone who makes it his business to understand what his store sells. And BTW, I traveled around the country for years and never saw a better stocked hobby shop anywhere, when it came to radios and engines. Aerotech is top shelf when it come to things like this. Been around for decades. No hole in the wall.

He also told me that I would be fighting an uphill battle to try to make this clear on the internet, with so much misinformation, hearsay, armchair experts, and conflicting loyalties, out there. I think he was right on that as well.

Believe what you want. I'll do the same.
I'm afraid you are deep in the ranks of the mis-informants.

1. What has Futaba got to do with it? If you think FHSS is owned by Futaba then you are deeply misinformed.
2. DSMX does hop using FHSS algorithms, it does not lock onto 2 channels, try reading Spektrum's website, here's the link - http://www.spektrumrc.com/DSMX/ and click on the "impressive agility" tab.

Believe what you want. The rest of us rely on evidence!

H.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:27 AM
jrb1

ORIGINAL: ka9fax

jrb1,
of course if u buy 30+ new RX you would have to bind them. but are u really planing on doing that?? I can see doing this for my two 100cc planes for insurance, but the rest of my 16 plane fleet will stay on DSM2. as far as rebinding, when i went from my 9309 to the 9503 i copyed everything from 1 tx to the other, but still had to rebind everything of corse. but its no big deal, what a min. or two for each model.
tony

I've got 30 flyable models in hand already bound to my 9503!

So the question is when I get my TX back with the DSMX upgrade do I have to go back an re-bind each one again?
Old 02-17-2011, 10:34 AM
ka9fax

yep, the only concern i have with that is the kid down the block playing with his dads old 72. using it for his car or parkflyer or the young kid just playing with it. now that 2.4 is out i think 72 is getting tossed around to much, in hands that should not be in, but saying that, we have 2 guys still on 72 in our club and for the past 3 years that i know of never had a problem, and one of them flys 4 days a week all season long.
tony
Old 02-17-2011, 10:43 AM
ka9fax

ORIGINAL: jrb1

ORIGINAL: ka9fax

jrb1,
tony

I've got 30 flyable models in hand already bound to my 9503!

So the question is when I get my TX back with the DSMX upgrade do I have to go back an re-bind each one again?
good question, i would say yes after hearing what has to be done per the upgrade, but just thinking about this i think the big ques. is will it dump all my data for each plane, binding is no big deal, but the loss of all data is. so we need to find out if we need to back up our data before we send our TX in.
im waiting on a call back now so if no one ans. this ill let u know.
tony
Old 02-17-2011, 11:30 AM
karl hibbs
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGYpn...eature=related
Old 02-17-2011, 11:53 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: ramcfarland

Looks like I stay with 72MHZ another year.
Same here
Old 02-17-2011, 12:16 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not going to open up that can of worms, other than to say, 2.4 is here to stay, and it is good technology. As for the DSM2 vs DSMx locking procedure, I'll stand corrected on the new agility of the updated DSMx. Apparently, the widening of the channels used, does indeed involve hopping, although it is done in a different way than Futaba. The RXs will continue to function as they have if they are not being controlled by a transmitter with DSMx capability.

To me, this is all good. Are equipment is not obsolete, like AM stuff, and the technology continues to be improved. Personally, I intend to keep abreast of this, and take advantage of it.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:27 PM
cavandish

So according to this guy, JR are admitting to their mistake, well thats great but whats not so good is that they are expecting nearly all of their previous customers to pay for this error.
I also see lots of DSM2 gear still on the shelf at many outlets, so have these poor retailers also been shafted by this ??? how would you feel as a retailer about being left with all the old DSM 2 stock ??? who's going to buy DSM2 now unless it;s heavily discounted ?

If DSM2 is so good, why was it deemed necessary to pull it from the shelves ? just saying that horizon/JR want its new customers to have the best that is available is total BULL
Old 02-17-2011, 12:32 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I have not had any problems with my 2.4 spektrum/jr radios.

With less people on this format, I may have even a less chance of problems.

The bright side.

Steve
Old 02-17-2011, 01:14 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: cavandish

So according to this guy, JR are admitting to their mistake, well thats great but whats not so good is that they are expecting nearly all of their previous customers to pay for this error.
I also see lots of DSM2 gear still on the shelf at many outlets, so have these poor retailers also been shafted by this ??? how would you feel as a retailer about being left with all the old DSM 2 stock ??? who's going to buy DSM2 now unless it;s heavily discounted ?

If DSM2 is so good, why was it deemed necessary to pull it from the shelves ? just saying that horizon/JR want its new customers to have the best that is available is total BULL
First of all, that is THIS guys opinion. To me, this is preventative, rather than a patch. Again, the only time this would be needed, is if you were flying where hundreds of radios were being used at once. With this new add-on, it would still not be a problem, and you could fly safely. As it is, you would simply have to wait for more clear airways. How is that any different from now? For years we had to wait for our channel, and that may have been with only one other guy flying!!!
Old 02-17-2011, 01:32 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Since experience has shown that the 40 (or 50, whatever) limit on DSM2 is bologna... and it has also shown that "frequency agile" systems can also have problems when "100's" of transmitters are on (which jibes with theory and experience in other applications besides RC), all of this discussion is interesting, but in my mind, missing the point. The real issue with the Spektrum-based systems, as I see it, is the *requirement* for multiple receivers that must be placed carefully around the aircraft and monitored for their performance (and moved if necessary) in order to obtain a reliable link. To really answer the compeition, JR needs to address that problem - which they appear to have done with DMSS. All the pictures of the DMSS receivers show one RX and two antenna, that's all.

My question is, how come a US customer can't take advantage of that? I like JR, but I'm not going to use their RF link when the one I use now provides a rock-solid link with one RX and two antennas-just like the other 2.4 GHz stuff (all except Spek) appears to.

Bob
Old 02-17-2011, 01:54 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

Since experience has shown that the 40 (or 50, whatever) limit on DSM2 is bologna... and it has also shown that ''frequency agile'' systems can also have problems when ''100's'' of transmitters are on (which jibes with theory and experience in other applications besides RC), all of this discussion is interesting, but in my mind, missing the point. The real issue with the Spektrum-based systems, as I see it, is the *requirement* for multiple receivers that must be placed carefully around the aircraft and monitored for their performance (and moved if necessary) in order to obtain a reliable link. To really answer the compeition, JR needs to address that problem - which they appear to have done with DMSS. All the pictures of the DMSS receivers show one RX and two antenna, that's all.

My question is, how come a US customer can't take advantage of that? I like JR, but I'm not going to use their RF link when the one I use now provides a rock-solid link with one RX and two antennas-just like the other 2.4 GHz stuff (all except Spek) appears to.

Bob
That is fine Bob, but why does that bother you? As far as it being a 'requirement', it is not. All of the JR receivers only have two antennas. And you don't need to use three or four to make the system work.

Many guys set up there expensive planes with more than one RX for redundancy. What is the problem? And if you do that with your system, you will be paying much more than 30 bucks for that redundancy.

I do monitor the reception of each RX, as well as battery health, servo health, engine performance, airframe integrity, mechanical devices, and more. No big deal to me. I want me planes to last, and be as safe as I can make them.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:00 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcjetsaok

ORIGINAL: HarryC

ORIGINAL: chris923

I, for one am glad to see JR address any problems, percevied or real.
Bangs head against wall! How many times do we have to say it is nothing to do with JR? This situation is entirely of Horizon Hobbies USA's making, and it isn't bothering the rest of the world.
H.

I know what you are saying to be true.... But why then is JR.... JR... Selling DSMX Recievers right now ???? They are on the Horizon Website... Part 2 is, Is JR-Japan manufacturing DSMX Transmitters and Recievers and shipping them to Horizon Hobby's for consumer sales in the United States of America or not !!!!! ??? Thats all I want to know !!!! Not a hard question to ask, but does anyone know who really knows the answer !!!!!

Enough of this already !!!!!![>:]

Danno

My question still stands unanswered..... Any takers ????

John Redman, Thanks for your last post !!!! I agree with Bobo, close the damn thread... It will all come out in the wash. Too many experts and not enough real information !!!!

Danno
Old 02-17-2011, 02:12 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I completely agree with Bob. It appears to me (my opinion, obviously) that Horizon was a bit too fast to jump the gun and hook up with Spektrum, just to beat brand F to the 2.4 GHz wars. Now, as a result of that decision, they are still stuck with that multi RX configuration to obtain the best RF link. They clearly know that sooner or later they must end up with a DMSS system for the USA, like Futaba and Hitech. It obviously works rather well. So that means another "upgrade" in the coming years that will force JR users into another RX swap/TX update, and cost more.

I have flown JR in the past and I like their equipment. But this path Horizon has taken the US customers down is a bit bizarre. They should just go with JR's DMSS now.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:40 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since DMSS is not compatible with DSM2 as DSMX is I think JR was afraid of the backlash from
their current cust base if they went with DMSS at this time. I do agree that JR needs to make it's
entire line along with DMSS available to it's world wide market including the USA
Old 02-17-2011, 02:50 PM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: ira d

Since DMSS is not compatible with DSM2 as DSMX is I think JR was afraid of the backlash from
their current cust base if they went with DMSS at this time. I do agree that JR needs to make it's
entire line along with DMSS available to it's world wide market including the USA
You are still completely confusing your importer, Horizon Hobbies, with JR. They are totally separate. JR is making DMSS available to the world market, it has made no offer to make DSMX available outside the USA so it is not afraid of a backlash from its customers from going to DMSS, and it is your importer Horizon not JR that is blocking you getting DMSS.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:54 PM
BaldEagel

John Redman, Thanks for your last post !!!! I agree with Bobo, close the damn thread... It will all come out in the wash. Too many experts and not enough real information !!!!

Danno

Everything will come out in the wash, close RCU we don't need you any more.

Mike
Old 02-17-2011, 03:03 PM
ira d

I am not confused about Horizon and JR at all. If JR really wanted to make their entire line available to the
U.S. im sure they could find a way to do so. The fact is if DMSS suddely became available a lot of the
current JR customers would be reluctant to purchase because their current gear wouldn't work with it.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:12 PM
ram3500-RCU

I am not confused about Horizon and JR at all. If JR really wanted to make their entire line available to the
U.S. im sure they could find a way to do so. The fact is if DMSS suddely became available a lot of the
current JR customers would be reluctant to purchase because their current gear wouldn't work with it.
I don't agree. Futaba already has 2.4 systems that won't work with each other. Nothing new here. I really don't think DMSS is necessary. How many guys do any of you actually know, who use DSM2, that have had problems. I know none. I have heard of cases, just as with any other system, but we are not talking about massive problems her. I think the percentages would be far less than with narrow band users, if the numbers could be compiled and made public. They will never be, but the fact it, time after time, I go and come from fields with no issues, as do the vast majority of us. What is the big deal?
Old 02-17-2011, 03:40 PM
BaldEagel

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

I don't agree. Futaba already has 2.4 systems that won't work with each other. Nothing new here. I really don't think DMSS is necessary. How many guys do any of you actually know, who use DSM2, that have had problems. I know none. I have heard of cases, just as with any other system, but we are not talking about massive problems her. I think the percentages would be far less than with narrow band users, if the numbers could be compiled and made public. They will never be, but the fact it, time after time, I go and come from fields with no issues, as do the vast majority of us. What is the big deal?
For someone with nearly 5000 posts on RCU I don't know where you have been if you don't know of anyone who has had problems with DSM2, "I'M ONE" I shouted in case you did not hear, talk about denial, there have been thousands of reports of problems with DSM2 my own have been unbinding without being demanded from the Tx etc, etc: ad infinitum

Please tell us what guys you know that have Futaba 2.4 systems that don't work with each other????????????????????????

Mike
Old 02-17-2011, 03:47 PM
blighty

just been on the JR MacGregor website and found this about the DMSS and DMSX, sorry if posted before.

When can I buy a new MacGregor/JR DSMX set?

We are waiting for information on whether JR will incorporate DSMX into their European specification sets. But such product development is sure to take some time, plus any additional CE testing that may be required.
In addition, all the shipments that JR have planned for the UK are either DSM2 or JR’s own 2.4 DMSS sets.
The combined effect is that CE approved JR DSMX sets are unlikely to be available for a considerable time. If you need a ‘frequency agile’ radio in the near future then it would be well worth considering JR’s new series of XG radios, which use JR DMSS. The XG7 will be available very soon, with the XG8 being released shortly later this year. For more information on JR DMSS radios, please click here:
MacGregor/JR XG7 DMSS Transmitter

no upgrade, but why not bin your over priced Tx and buy a new over priced Tx.

Will I be able to use DSMX receivers with my MacGregor/JR DSM2 transmitter?

Yes, JR DSM2 transmitters are forward compatible with DSMX receivers.
But DSM2 and DSMX Remote receivers are not interchangeable. So please use DSM2 remotes with a DSM2 receiver, and only use DSMX remotes with a DSMX receiver.
In summary, please continue to enjoy using your JR DSM2 set.

unless i read that wrong, that's not what it said on the Horizon link posted earlier. they said DSMX Tx will work with DSM2 Rx's.

quote from Horizon's web site

Should I purchase the DSMX add-on?

Before investing in the DSMX transmitter add-on, there are several important facts about DSMX you need to know:

* To realize the full benefits of DSMX technology you must have both a DSMX Transmitter and a DSMX Receiver
* DSM2 transmitters are compatible with DSMX receivers. Likewise, should you add-on to a DSMX transmitter, the DSM2 receivers you have now will be compatible with it.
* Because DSM2 and DSMX share the same wide-band DSSS foundation, all Spektrum users will enjoy superior range, speed and precision whether theyre using DSM2 equipment, DSMX equipment or a combination of both.
* The difference a DSMX system makes is only apparent when hundreds of 2.4GHz systems are in use at once.* DSM2 users who rarely, if ever, fly in big events or other exceptionally "noisy" 2.4GHz environments may find the DSM2 equipment they have now is all they will ever need.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.