Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Pattern planes Why do they cost so much

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Pattern planes Why do they cost so much

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 06:36 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Pattern planes Why do they cost so much

Chuck,

Unfortunately the Black Magic kits are no longer available...and I know on the V3's that you would spend an additional 300-400 minimum for sheeting and hardware. Still cheaper than a lot of ARF's, but a lot of work.

Also, the Lightning Jeff is building is more than competitive with anything out there. I watched Jeff fly his old one last fall and it flies awesome and the one will fly even better.

Arch
Old 03-14-2011, 10:59 AM
Mike Wiz
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In this economic environment I think we would find more people willing to build if they had the skills to do it. If there were a few good videos for building a precision airframe out there I'd tackle one myself. Unfortunately, building Sig 4Star 40 kits and the like, hasn't really taught me the skills needed to properly build something like a pattern plane.

ORIGINAL: Doug Cronkhite

ORIGINAL: stuntflyr

So what about plans built models? Is there a list of plans, or anyone know a couple of designs where plans are available for a 2M off the top of there heads.
I know of the Black Magic and a friend has one, but being new to all of this and the dynamic change of the event and the change of available ARF's over the last couple of years makes it too expensive for me to buy one anyway. I can build, though.
I see buying used YS 170's and building balsa models at home as being a good way to go.
Thanks,
Chris...
Jeff Carder will happily give you plans for his Lightning. While not 'easy' to build, it is certainly doable if you have the skills. I'm in the middle of cutting parts out to start building mine.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mike Wiz

In this economic environment I think we would find more people willing to build if they had the skills to do it. If there were a few good videos for building a precision airframe out there I'd tackle one myself. Unfortunately, building Sig 4Star 40 kits and the like, hasn't really taught me the skills needed to properly build something like a pattern plane.
Actually it has, just not quickly. It doesn't take anything more than basic building skills to build an all-wood/foam airplane like Jeff's. There are a couple good books out there I think on 'building a pattern airplane' and plenty of information in Jeff's thread on the Lightning. I wish I could remember the name of the book.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:45 AM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Between what you learned just building sport kits and what you can pick up in the build threads here you can build a pattern plane and have it come out well.
Will it be the best it can be your first time out, no. Will the second and the third be even better, yes. Just like everything else we do, it is a learned skill and will be honed the more you do it.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:14 PM
wagen017

I really wonder if building yourself is so much cheaper. Not only do you need the materials but also tools etc.

I think the only reason to build yourself is the satisfaction you derive from it, both the process and when you point that plane into the wind first time.

Just my 2c, of course!

Volkert
Old 03-14-2011, 01:42 PM
RC_Pattern_Flyer
My Feedback: (1)

I use no special tools to build my pentathlon. I use large blocks for weight.. sometimes 5 gal bottle of water.

I have a square, a level, a long sanding bar medium sanding bar and small sanding bar. thin Ca, epoxy, gorilla glue.

With a pentathlon you dont even need 6# balsa to make weight, 8# will do fine if flying glow. (os 140. 160 or Ys 160.170)

If you are flying electric, you prolly can afford 6#. i buy scarred balsa... cheaper and gets covered with monokote.

I monokote all my planes. Doesnt look as nice, but its what I know how to do. OR... a good friend glasses and paints.

Chuck
Old 03-14-2011, 01:59 PM
Mike Wiz

OK but I still struggle with getting things lined up perfectly even with my sport plane kits. I just haven't seen how people get everything trued up. These sport kits are pretty much self aligning. At this point, I fly a Wind 110. I don't think I could build a plane that straight without somebody showing me some of the tricks of the trade. I can iron on covering pretty well and I think after seeing how Isaac covered his Xigres I could even do a simple but nice color scheme. Maybe with a little research and a book or video I could take on building a pattern plane. Maybe next season. This season I'm flying the Wind 110.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:35 PM
RC_Pattern_Flyer
My Feedback: (1)

Pentathlon is all laser cut self aligning really. the rudder is the only think on the fuse you have to line up.

And if you dont like the fins, leave them off!

Chuck
Old 03-14-2011, 05:40 PM
Mike Wiz

Well, next season maybe I'll try a Pentathlon Evo.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:05 AM
DrMotor

PATTERN F3A PLANE, ARTF FOR: £274 ( = $425) -Check this out:
From: http://www.vanderbuiltmodels.co.uk/h...lass-319-p.asp

Hurricane F3A 2m class
This is a high spec ARTF that only requires your RC and Engine to be installed to compleat.
Both the wing and tail are traditionally jig built and film covered as is the fuz which uses a removable GRP belly pan.
It comes with GRP wheel pants and alloy UC, Light weight wheels etc along with all fittings required which are all "Fully ball raced"
We are currently building one with electric power and will be fitting a 2400w motor so watch this space!
Span 1960mm
Length 1940mm
Area 73dm
Power 2000-3000w EP
(or: 120-180; 20-30cc petrol )

Build thread from Peter Scoles on GBA/CAA
http://www.gbrcaa.org/smf/index.php?topic=2499.0

LITTLE POINT IN BUILDING, WHEN PLANES AVAILABLE FOR THIS PRICE ?
PS: Does this plane look a little bit, like a 2m size version of the X-Tech / (old) Fliton Inspire 90, or Infinity 90 ...?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64638.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	1707534  
Old 12-31-2011, 11:55 PM
DrMotor

Indeed, it turns out this "Hurricane F3A 2m" plane IS made by X-Tech -who are the same as the old Fliton -their planes are identical.
This plane used to be called the "X-Tech Collaboration" ...

see: http://www.gbrcaa.org/smf/index.php?topic=1917.0
Hurricane-f3a-2m-class
" ... Just found some more info on the plane, looks like its an X-Tech kit from Probuild, but can't find anymore info or prices on it, oh and its called "Collaboration"
http://www.probuild-uk.co.uk/gallery.php?id=57 ..."

http://www.gbrcaa.org/smf/index.php?topic=247.0
" ... If anyone wants an entry level 2m model you could have a look at the X tech Collaboration.
I think Phil Willams has them in stock now at Probuild and the price is a very reasonable £375!!
Have a look at the Probuild website for details. http://www.probuild-uk.co.uk/product...tID=&subCatID=
And for some photos http://www.probuild-uk.co.uk/gallery.php?id=57 ..."

The plane is no longer mentioned on the Probuild website, and the above links do not work.
So: No wonder it looks like a 2m-size version of the Fliton / X-Tech Infinity 90 ...
Hope this helps ...
Old 01-01-2012, 09:46 AM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't read every post, so forgive me if some of this is a repeat...

I'm a returning RC pilot. Just jumped back in the game after a 10 year layoff. I would like to compete again. My past passion was RC Pylon. I know top of the game is expensive, but I'm shocked at how much more expensive the game is these days. I like scale (ish) aircraft, and was thinking about IMAC. Yes I know the basic class can be flown with a trainer if you like. But everybody seems to say, at least in the IMAC group, you "have" to have at least a 50cc plane to be competitive. With that said I thought pattern might be a bit more affordable. Shows what I know

Yes I know there are used/older airframes out there that are still very competitive, especially in the lower classes. However and to the point I'm trying to get to.... The cost to play the game is driving folks away. Now this is my opinion and I may be way off base. I don't know if there is a solution to this "problem" and maybe there never will be an answer. I do strongly believe that if the cost could be kept down, at least at the lower levels there would be more people competing. Maybe a rule limit for aircraft/engine size?????? I know competition will always drive for the latest and greatest. There is a lot of talent out there and not everybody wants to compete, but having an affordable entry level point might help the sport overall.

I'm a big boy so flame away

Ken
Old 01-01-2012, 12:01 PM
wagen017

hi Ken, as mentioned before you can find an excellent flying plane like the Sebart Wind 110 or the BJ Craft Monolog 110 that won't cost you an arm and/or a leg and will still make you very competitive. Have a look at them.

Another way of looking at current trends with 2000$ planes is, well yes, you can now buy those planes at 2000$. Before, this quality planes was simply not around I think.

Volkert
Old 01-01-2012, 01:28 PM
robert

For anyone about to build a pattern plane I think these two links are a valuable source of information:
1. Mark Novak's Enigma building - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_53..._1/key_/tm.htm
2. Ola Fremmings website (good for ideas on how to do things) - http://www.ofremmi.info/HowTo/my_met...in_modelin.htm
Old 01-03-2012, 05:58 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: wagen017

Another way of looking at current trends with 2000$ planes is, well yes, you can now buy those planes at 2000$. Before, this quality planes was simply not around I think.

Volkert
Well, that quality plane had to be built...Imagine that, one had to actually develop building skill.

OR, those with 3 left thumbs hired so called "professional builders" to build for them. But that price tag went up to 2+ grand too. BTW, guess where the pricing on current pre-fabbed models has come from?