Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Larger Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Larger Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 05:00 PM
mach2
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Larger Revolver

S&S, It was a guy in my club. He never flew it so its kinda a "cross my fingers" type plane. But the hash marks on the fuse tell me that its got 50-60 flights on it. So thats a good sign.

He got it from one of those "trade this for that and this other thing" deals. He had looked it over and the os 61 that was in it had bearings that were shot out. So he put in the 46 and says that its a solid engine. The gear had been ripped out of it and one point but epoxied back in and added some wood structuring behind that where the fuse had been damaged by the accident.

But with the 130 bucks worth of servos that are in it, I cant go wrong.

68gts - I already ordered a 2 1/4" spinner for it along with some Xoar wood props and some wheel pants. Looks like youve got a 2.5" spinner? I just measured the one that was on it and ordered the same size. Should be a fun plane.

Micro!!! makes my stomach sink when I hear about you totally loosing control. Reminds me of my last crash. Im still gonna try and find my cause, but im pretty sure it was the Rx that was in the first crashed rev...

I ordered my third one last night. Got 50 bucks off my order from tower and the plane was on club special for 219. I also ordered bearing and a new crankshaft for the dle20. LETS HIT IT AGAIN. I hope this plane isnt my Unicorn and I can keep it for a while this time.....
Old 04-02-2012, 05:33 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Luchnia and Mach - thanks. I'm already rebuilding my right wing and feel better about it already. Unfortunately the fuse is on back-order till June. Guess I'll just have to work on my other two Rev 59's and one NIB Rev 70 till then...
Old 04-02-2012, 07:24 PM
mach2

ORIGINAL: microdon2

Luchnia and Mach - thanks. I'm already rebuilding my right wing and feel better about it already. Unfortunately the fuse is on back-order till June. Guess I'll just have to work on my other two Rev 59's and one NIB Rev 70 till then...
Umm, I dont feel bad for you now. I just want to keep ONE plane in the air without it hitting terrafirma and exploding....

BTW, my wife was PIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEDDD when she saw my order to tower for a third plane in three months. It sucks because I look back on it and i know that I could have 3 nice planes for what ive paid. And Ive nothing to show for it so far.....not fun.

My plans for a 30cc Aeroworks Edge 540 have now gone up in smoke.

Jeremy
Old 04-02-2012, 07:35 PM
microdon2

mach2 - you shouldn't look at it that way. Crashing is part of this hobby (more for SOME of us...). Can't tell you how many planes I've crashed in the last few years. btw - those two Rev 59's I'm rebuilding? Both are being cobbled together from spare Rev 59 parts (wings and tails from former crashes) and some new parts - and I have to do some major work to fix two of the wings. I'm certainly don't have a large RC budget - try to do as much as I can on the cheap, including used engines, used planes, radios, and reusing parts from crashed planes. So my planes aren't always the prettiest (except on their maiden) but they do look good and they do usually fly well.

So maybe you can look at your crashes as suppliers of future Revolver parts! Keep those wings!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:40 PM
mach2

ORIGINAL: 68gts

Definitely put on an aluminum spinner! i put one on mine and it takes the "cheap" look away
What radio do you use? Is that a 6EX?

Old 04-02-2012, 07:49 PM
mach2

mach2 - you shouldn't look at it that way. Crashing is part of this hobby (more for SOME of us...). Can't tell you how many planes I've crashed in the last few years. btw - those two Rev 59's I'm rebuilding? Both are being cobbled together from spare Rev 59 parts (wings and tails from former crashes) and some new parts - and I have to do some major work to fix two of the wings. I'm certainly don't have a large RC budget - try to do as much as I can on the cheap, including used engines, used planes, radios, and reusing parts from crashed planes. So my planes aren't always the prettiest (except on their maiden) but they do look good and they do usually fly well.

So maybe you can look at your crashes as suppliers of future Revolver parts! Keep those wings!
I saved the main gear from my last Rev. That was pretty much all that was not dead. I may have been able to save a wing on my first one. not sure though. When you get a replacement fuse, what do you do about the stab, elevators and rudder?

When I talk about saving things off the plane, im not including the servos and motor. I saved all that off of them. The last one busted some servos up and i ordered new cases for them with this order. And as mentioned, the salvaged Rx may have been the reason for the loss of my second plane. Turning the motor over i could feel the bearings were damaged, so getting the DLE 20 is gonna take more effort this go around. I got bearings coming and I ordered a new crank to be safe. Im sure the bearings made their mark on it...and I think i can open up the stinger on the muffler and save 30 bucks there.

Im just gonna get the Extra flying and try and have some fun to take my mind off the revolver and also take the pressure off of it too. Only having the trainer makes me feel like I am Planeless, because it just is nothing like flying an aerobat. I dont even wanna fly it. Its not fun...

Old 04-02-2012, 08:08 PM
microdon2

mach2 - for both Revolvers, when I have a bad crash, and the tail is not damaged, I save the tail feathers by breaking the fuse away from it, bit by bit, with a pliers. Since I have the rudder and elevators hinged what you have left is rudder with 4 Robart hinges dangling out and a horizontal stabilizer with it's elevators still attached. To get the assembled horizontal stabilizer into a new fuse I use a hack saw and cut out the rear suction, just aft of the stabilizer insert - kind of like an airplane episiotomy (as I imagine). SAVE the piece you cut out! Then, usually with some more filing to get off the excess epoxy, the stabilizer should slide right in. Then epoxy back the cut-out section along with the stabilizer. If you want you can also cover any small scars with white trim. Then you attach the rudder. I've done this three times so far - works great. Saves you the cost of new tail feathers, not to mention all of the work of putting Robart hinges into the elevators and rudder.

btw - going through my part boxes I just found a spare Rev 70 wing bar! And the front end of the canopy section. So I only need a fuse. Ha!

btw - This thread could be a good forum for spare Revolver parts. Buying these parts isn't cheap, and TH doesn't sell single wings. I have some spare Rev 59 left wings. But I need a right wing - anyone got one they'd be willing to sell?
Old 04-02-2012, 08:32 PM
mach2

wow dude. you take it to a new level. I guess i should have saved both tail sections!

so if it isnt shattered...save it???  I'll have to change my thinking.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:09 AM
68gts
My Feedback: (2)

Iuse the 7c....looking to upgrade to the super 8 real soon
Old 04-03-2012, 03:38 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mach2 - for both Revolvers, when I have a bad crash, and the tail is not damaged, I save the tail feathers by breaking the fuse away from it, bit by bit, with a pliers. Since I have the rudder and elevators hinged what you have left is rudder with 4 Robart hinges dangling out and a horizontal stabilizer with it's elevators still attached. To get the assembled horizontal stabilizer into a new fuse I use a hack saw and cut out the rear suction, just aft of the stabilizer insert - kind of like an airplane episiotomy (as I imagine). SAVE the piece you cut out! Then, usually with some more filing to get off the excess epoxy, the stabilizer should slide right in. Then epoxy back the cut-out section along with the stabilizer. If you want you can also cover any small scars with white trim. Then you attach the rudder. I've done this three times so far - works great. Saves you the cost of new tail feathers, not to mention all of the work of putting Robart hinges into the elevators and rudder.

btw - going through my part boxes I just found a spare Rev 70 wing bar! And the front end of the canopy section. So I only need a fuse. Ha!

btw - This thread could be a good forum for spare Revolver parts. Buying these parts isn't cheap, and TH doesn't sell single wings. I have some spare Rev 59 left wings. But I need a right wing - anyone got one they'd be willing to sell?
Always good to keep your parts. You never know when you may have a window of time to fix it and a few bottles of glue, epoxy, and some covering and you can be back in business relatively cheap. Those rainy days or cold days you can piece it back together. Even if you only do a little at a time and put it up, it will eventually get done if you keep it moving.

I fixed an AW Extra 260 that a friend threw away and flew that plane for probably over 50 flights until I whacked it up one day just messing around being stupid and I could have even fixed it again but I had a number of planes going so it was not a big deal and I even stripped some of the wood out to save it (especially servo cutouts) and used it on other planes and of course I still have all my gear that I had in it.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:36 AM
Slow and Steady

Another use for that damaged wing, as I have found is to partially disect it to see how it is constructed. This has helped with minimize tearing apart a wing that I need to fix. The old wing has shown me exactly were to make the cuts and opennings,without excess damage to the good wing.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:59 AM
mach2

Iuse the 7c....looking to upgrade to the super 8 real soon
lemme know if you wanna sell it. Ive got the 6EX right now. Ive been thinking about upgrading since i can get the 7 for less than I paid for my 6 at tower. And Ive heard some bad stuff and seen some videos of the 6EX doing some weird stuff. May be the cause of my crash. Not blaming it, but it's a thought.

And if I get another fasst radio, i can do a buddy system to get my dad flying more. I just handed him the radio and let him fly for a while the other day. He did okay. Just really nervous. I had him flying the sim for a couple weeks first.

Ive got paypal.

Jeremy

Old 04-03-2012, 10:02 AM
mach2

Luchnia - I have saved the servo mounts from the wings on the first rev. That I did think of. And its a 30 minute savings for me...
Old 04-03-2012, 11:13 AM
microdon2

Even if the wing is badly damaged in one area, save it. You might be able to dissect a piece from the good section and use that to replace the damaged section of another wing. That's what I did last night - came out great.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:47 AM
wjcalhoun

Hi guys
Do any of you have experience with the Mintor line of engines? There is a Mintor 22 that apparently is a drop in replacement for the DLE20. My DLE20 is running fine in my R70, but a couple more cc might be worth thinking about.

Have any of you used one on an R70?
Old 04-04-2012, 08:29 AM
capt1597

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

mach2, on rcu's home page there is an ad for a swap meet in fresno, ca april 15th. thats only 110 miles from bakersfield. don't tell the wife i mentioned it. i see life as a big scavenger hunt. nice score on the extra by the way. happy flying, capt
Old 04-04-2012, 02:08 PM
mach2

I saw that there is an IMACC competition right here south of town on the 14th and 15th!  I bet there will be some sweet 20-30cc gassers people are trying to sell there...what do ya think?

Thanks,
Jeremy
Old 04-04-2012, 08:40 PM
mach2

Check it out fellas. She looks pretty good with the new spinner/prop and wheel pants!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22552.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	1746873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50806.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	306.1 KB
ID:	1746874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71221.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	301.3 KB
ID:	1746875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg98019.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	287.8 KB
ID:	1746876  
Old 04-05-2012, 02:21 AM
68gts

that looks great!the new spinner really adds to the "look"
Old 04-05-2012, 03:03 AM
mach2

that looks great!the new spinner really adds to the "look"
Lemme know about that 7c man....

Old 04-05-2012, 03:52 AM
microdon2

mach2 - nice looking plane. What's the wingspan and the engine?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:04 AM
mach2

55" and its got a OS .46AX

Its a .46-.55 plane and its supposed to fly good with the .46. Its little weird to think that there will be a great performer with at motor slightly bigger than my trainer. Since I am used to rockin the DLE20 powerhouse. But its a really light plane...

Thanks,
Jeremy
Old 04-06-2012, 07:22 AM
68gts

i wont be getting the super 8 anytime soon...maybe toward the end of summer i'll keep you first in mind when i do get it
Old 04-06-2012, 12:54 PM
68gts

had a little fun today
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49202.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	1747485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81448.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	1747486   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26278.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	1747487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60539.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	1747488  
Old 04-06-2012, 01:00 PM
microdon2

68gts - your planes look great. Question - are you using a Master Airscrew prop on the Revolver? I'm no expert, but I read on RCU that they're not the most efficient props. From what I've seen they DO seem to have a lot of flex. Have you tried APC, or Vess, or Xoar?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.