Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Larger Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Larger Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 12:41 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Larger Revolver

flyalot - pls see some recent posts on flying in the snow - you don't HAVE to stop because of the cold!!!

Widget - LOVE the practicality. btw - I'm in the middle of installing the DLE20. It's a tight squeeze, but it looks like it's fitting. Had to remove the back-middle sections of the engine mounts and move two of the firewall blind-nuts, which made the prop location offcenter, so I've added a spacer behind one engine mount, which has centered the prop, but eliminated the 2 degree offsett. So I'm not sure WHAT's going to happen on THAT. With the carb directly behind the engine it presents a challenge on how to run the control rods for the throttle and choke, but I think I just got that figured out. Might be done in a few days.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:04 PM
jet22b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We want pictures!!!!
Did you buy your DLE20 at Tower Hobbies??
Please post a flight report on your outcome.

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 11-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Widget
My Feedback: (1)

Microdon2, I'm a little ADD/Dislexic and a few other things I can't even spell, and so what I read in that was, after you removed the carb, and the motor mounts, and the prop and prop hub, it seemed like the DLE20 was going to fit just fine! I really want to go gas one day, but I promised my bride that I wouldn't buy any more engines until I ran out of the current stock. But it might be a while. Even after I installed the antenna wrong on my recently deceased Rev that caused it to nose into hard dirt at Mach 3, it didn't even break the Slimline muffler! I fear that the DLE20 is a ways off for me...[]
On the servo thing, I'm an SP: Simple Pragmatic. I can't get past the fact that I fly. Therfore, I crash. Can't get TOO serious about all this, and the less money laying there in 12 million formerly expensive assembly parts the better! [8D]
Just read in the Tower thing for the SS Club members. Its a cool tip. I'll post it as a stand-alone below.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Widget

From Tower Tips

Stop Your Engine
This tip not only makes it easy to stop your engine, but it also allows you to completely shut off the fuel flow so you can run the engine dry before storage. Shut-off valves for use on aquarium air lines can be found at most pet stores, and they're very inexpensive. To install one, cut the fuel line that's between the tank and the carb, and insert the valve into the line. Use fuel-line clips or zip-ties to help secure it. When you're ready to stop the engine, just flip the valve. It's a lot easier than trying to pinch the fuel line with your fingers especially with the body still on.

Joseph Melenki
via Website Submission
Old 11-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Widget

We are about to roll again and I will be "off-air" for a while, so Guys... I'm having a Kodak Moment here, so forgive me if I go WAY off-subject for a post and offer you this little foray up to the Arctic Ocean last year. I will only promise that you WILL enjoy...[X(]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAt_0...e=channel_page

Camera Man - me
Driver- me
Moose- himself
Arctic Fox _herself (NOT a palmeranian dog...)
(all speeds on ice authentic, not enhanced.)

It's what my Bride and I do when I'm not flying, or better said, it's what KEEPS me from flying more than I do! [8D] This was in support of the Navy's Arctic Ice program called 2009 Ice-X, and though you can look it all up on the Web, I'm not allowed to say much more than that. Enjoy!

I'll answer the questions I can as they come, and bid you ado until then...
Old 11-09-2010, 01:43 PM
microdon2

Widget - I'm also tight on funds, so I ended up selling some unused equipment (engines, receivers) to raise dough for the DLE20. And you were close, but I did not remove the carb - but did have to remove the middle cross-beam sections of the engine mounts to make room for the carb. Think I just figured out carb \ choke servo placement. It's coming together. Will post pics when it's done.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:58 PM
Widget

I have seen some pretty "imaginative" adaptations, so we are all eargerly awaiting the pics! [X(]
Old 11-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Sbach342Guy

Gas vs Nitro question for those with experience. I started off with electric helicopters before getting into nitro planes. One of the things I really liked about eletric was how clean it was. No "film" on my models. No mess. Nitro is messy, very messy. My next plane is an Extreme Flight RC Extra 300 w/DLE-30 engine. How much cleaner is gas than nitro?
Old 11-09-2010, 02:10 PM
afjetmech

My DLE-20 is on the way and I'm looking forward to Microdon2's pictures. This is only my second plane and first gas engine. After seeing the Youtube video of the 20 on this plane I knew that is how I wanted to go, no matter how much modding had to be done.  After all, if there is no challenge to it, I will get bored to easily. 
Old 11-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Widget

Microdon2: Yes. This vid was posted by my neighbor, who 1. was usung his brand new camcorder, 2. wasn't quite awake, and 3. this was his very first video-edit also. So the video is terribly long (9 mins) with about 2 minutes of pretty good stuff of my (RIP) Tail-Dragger Dual Ace with 46FX's growling through the skys over our ranch, dodging the burn-pile upon landing and scaring the bajeebers out of the neighbor down the way upon crashing due to 1 engine-out due to MY inexperience with a Twin... Enjoy! Things are pretty interesting through about 3:45 min/sec, so watch as long as ya like. (Ps- I have the last replacement wing-set and fuse on my shelf at home that Horizon Hobby sold at a great discount when the DA got discontinued... sad day that was...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKpc4teuXdc
Old 11-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Wildwings2

Well flew all weekend weatehr was great 75 in Nov now reality hits 38 degrees 40 mph winds rain to snow time to pull the new Revolver out of the Box and let the Mods Begin.I already have my DLE 20 for it so as they say its dremel time
John
Old 11-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Widget

Wildwings2, Pictures!!! Pictures!!! Pictures!!! Pictures!!! Pictures!!! Pictures!!! [8D]
I am amazed with the weight comparrison of the DLE20 and the 1.20AX! All said and done, (engine, muffler, ignition, etc) they are for all practical purposes identical. Plus, no goo all over the plane at the end of the day? Now I'm getting serious about this engine... The price is right too. But, I love my 120AX too. Such a reliable smooth runner...
Old 11-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Wildwings2

Widget i run a DLE 30 on my Dave Patrick Ultimate and a 26CC gasser on my 1/4 scale cub slowly moving to the gas side i have 98 inch 330 special its getting a DA 85 now nicve to fly all day for just 4$ lol and clean up is a breeze.
John
Old 11-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Widget

That's my goal. I'd like to be flying all gas by the time I leave the road and fly as much as I want. Maybe 5 or 6 more years...[8D]
Old 11-09-2010, 10:07 PM
wjcalhoun

David
First and foremost, thanks for your service! You guys and gals make daily sacrifices that we at home appreciate more than can be expressed.

I think you have made a great choice with the OS 1.20AX. I have that in my R70 and it performs well - not really overpowered, but plenty of pull. Think about a lightweight Bisson pitts muffler - save a couple of ounces way up front, which will be helpful as you are likely to build nose heavy with that engine.

You will get much advice on servos, but from my perspective, nylon gears are iffy with airframes bigger than .60 size / 7#. Several have had good luck with the Hitec karbonite gear train, and you certainly won't go wrong with MG servos. Others may differ, but from my research it looks like you will need to spend $50-70 per servo, maybe a bit less if you dont go with digitals.

Build with dual aft elevator servos - you'll need the weight aft, and you get redundant elevator control (at least 1/2 of an elevator), short stiff linkages, etc.

Think about a pull-pull rudder control system.

Reinforce the main and tail LG structure.

Think about lithium iron phosphate chemistry (A123 / LiFe) for your batteries - better servo performance, no need for regulator and lighter than NiMH.

Welcome to the thread!

Bill
Old 11-10-2010, 07:28 AM
afjetmech

The Hitec 6635's seem like a pretty good servo for $40.  At least  I hope so because I have 4 of them coming.  Digital, karbonite gears, and 83oz/in of torque on 6 volts ought to handle my mild flying style. 
Old 11-10-2010, 12:23 PM
bhorton
My Feedback: (26)

Karbonite gears generally are not recommended for planes with gas engines due to the vibration stripping the gears. They may be ok with the DLE 20 as it is a small gas engine and apparently doesn't vibrate more than a glow engine. A friend had problems with the karbonite gears and a 50cc gasser.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:34 PM
microdon2

Great flying session this morning in the Bronx, NY. Was a bit windy - about 15mph from the north, but the Rev 70 with the YS140 4s handled it easily. Love the speed and power of this combination. Death spirals - no problem with engine stall (though I've stared to rev the engine in the middle of the stall just to be sure). The inverted hover is EASY with this plane and with a 15mph headwind - it just HOVERS. And the power of the YS140 - I dont' care that it sucks nitro, this engine is AWESOME. Unlimited vertical.

Now, back to work installing the DLE20 in my other Rev 70.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:02 PM
wjcalhoun

Bhorton
Agree on the karbonite / gas comment.
I think David was planning 1.20 glow. My preference is metal gears for this size plane, but there is a range of opinions.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:36 PM
jet22b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: microdon2

Great flying session this morning in the Bronx, NY. Was a bit windy - about 15mph from the north, but the Rev 70 with the YS140 4s handled it easily. Love the speed and power of this combination. Death spirals - no problem with engine stall (though I've stared to rev the engine in the middle of the stall just to be sure). The inverted hover is EASY with this plane and with a 15mph headwind - it just HOVERS. And the power of the YS140 - I dont' care that it sucks nitro, this engine is AWESOME. Unlimited vertical.

Now, back to work installing the DLE20 in my other Rev 70.
Sound like someone was having fun in the Bronx today!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 11-10-2010, 02:05 PM
afjetmech

ORIGINAL: bhorton

Karbonite gears generally are not recommended for planes with gas engines due to the vibration stripping the gears. They may be ok with the DLE 20 as it is a small gas engine and apparently doesn't vibrate more than a glow engine. A friend had problems with the karbonite gears and a 50cc gasser.
Just out of curiousity, wouldn't the control surface area be more of a factor in stripping a servo? I would assume your friends 50cc gasser was a larger airframe than the 70. Not argueing by any means, just gathering info. I guess if I strip a servo it will be a lesson learned the hard way.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Widget

Control surface, angle of deflection into the wind and over-all speed is the concern. Example? I have no prob with the plastic gears in the large Rev, but wouldn't expect them to last long in my Reactor with the 91FX. Too radical on all of the above. But I have flown plastic gears on planes like the Tower Uproar 40 for YEARS and Years which has huge control surfaces and major deflection into the wind, so much so that the non-ball-bearing collar wore to an egg-shape by the shaft, but the gears themselves never falied. If I start to doubt, a little "inspection" of my servos calms my heart... Like I said, at $8.50 a pop (bulk) and never ever a problem with any of my planes, I'll probably crash from something else LONG before I ever strip a gear out...
Old 11-10-2010, 04:43 PM
bhorton
My Feedback: (26)

I think the size of the control surface would have something to do with stripping servo gears. But my friend's servos stripped while the plane was on the ground due to the large control surfaces shaking from the engine vibration. This was on a 3D plane with large control surfaces and a oversized engine. He also stripped one during handling when he bumped the elevator on something. The karbonite gears seem to be brittle. I have some on glow planes with normal size control surfaces (not 3D) and I have not had a problem with them. But I would not use those servos on the Giant Super Sportster I plan to assemble with a 30cc gas engine this winter. They would probably be ok on the Revolver with a DLE 20.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:32 PM
iflywhenican

ORIGINAL: wjcalhoun

ifly..

Your suggestion is better than the wheel collar method, which i agree is very iffy, but why not just use two servos? Redundancy (a good thing because a failed elevator servo with a single servo setup = crash), proper torque applied to the elevator (hard to put 140 in-oz of torque into a single nylon control horn), and nice short slopless control rods are all reasons to use dual elevator servos, mounted aft.

I'm not sure i see the advantage of a single servo at all.

I totally agree with you WJ, but on the other hand, even if you have dual servos controlling both elevator halves and lose one...for whatever reason... while flying...the end result will usually = CRASH! Plus, I slip the inner tubing of Sullivan nyrods over the control rods then insert them into the larger tubes, therefore giving them more strength.

The last two afternoons here have been fantastic for flying....78 degrees, Carolina blue skies, and 0 mph wind speed!!!! Resembled a "MINI" Joe Nall at our field today.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:18 AM
DLFallin
My Feedback: (14)

Thanks to all for your comments!

Yes, I am going to put an OS 120AX with a Bisson Pitts muffler which I just ordered (Thanks for the advice Bill). I am leaning towards the Futaba S3050 Digital HT Servos. They run just under 50 a piece. I am also planning thanks to the advice from everyone, mounting two servos for the elevator in the rear and using a pull/pull system for the rudder. I really like that setup. Unless I discover I need the weight in the back for proper CG. I also plan on reinforcing the LG and tail wheel. I believe I have an Ohio Tail Wheel system already laying around at home.

Being in the military has limited my plane size to 40s, but I did purchase a 67" Edge 540 last year. I put an OS 120 4S with Futaba S3152 digital servos. Two on the elevators, two on the ailerons and a pull/pull system on the rudder. I only had a chance to fly it one time before I deployed, but it seemed to fly nicely. I will have to monitor the servos and may have to change them out. Most of my other servo inventory are standard, nylon servos. I do have a few more S3152s laying around, but not sure how many. I will have to wait until I get home and dive into it to see what I have.

So, this 70" Revolver will be the largest plane I have flown sense I was a teenager and I am very excited to fly this bird to experience all that you guys have experienced. I am also very excited to see how the Revolver turns out with the DLE 20 that a few folks are planning. I have heard really good things about those engines. I may end up going gas in a few years myself. Love the sound, price of the fuel and the ease of cleaning. Still learning about the setup and all.

Thanks again and I will keep you guys posted on my progress. I look forward to hearing about your flights and advice.

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.