Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Plane Cleaning

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Plane Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 05:04 PM
NEW222

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plane Cleaning

Hi there. I just bought an older crashed trainer and need some help. It was sitting a couple years, and was told that a mouse got into it. So I completey stripped this thing of all hardware and electronics. It is now an empty mostly-there trainer. As well, the main fuse area is dirty from dirt, cob-webs, etc. What can one use to clean up the inside of this thing? Pressure washer, garden hose, or would that affect the wood. This is just going to be a beater trainer for playing around with, and was told by others to totally scrap this one, and buy new. What are your opinions. The front was already repaired and is solid, just the tail is broken now. Also any help identifying would be great. OS LA 40, 64" wingspan tip-to-tip. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78134.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	1764854   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98898.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	1764855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95211.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	1764856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99311.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	1764857  
Old 05-21-2012, 05:16 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default RE: Plane Cleaning

That looks like a Kadet. Get some simple green to clean up the covering. If it is a Kadet, they make great trainers.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:34 PM
NEW222

It is a balsa sheeted fuse, no lightening holes, etc. All fuse covering is off now for repairs. Wing is in good overall shape. Just needs a few small patches. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:52 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd avoid the pressure washer. 

Soapy water on the covering and acetone for the bare wood.   
Old 05-21-2012, 07:59 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Acetone or alcohol to clean the coveering and wood.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:33 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bought, as you paid money for it ?? No way[X(]

its a bit of a project, but learning how to build and rebuild is as important as learning to fly.
Certainly suitable for a trainer.
Mount the main wing before re gluing the rear stab and line it up squarelly, epoxy would be best for a good bond
Old 05-21-2012, 08:45 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Unless it was given to you, it's going to cost at least $25.00 to recover the fuselage. Which club do you attend to fly from? Saints, WRCC or Steinbach? Just repaired and recovered a Tower Trainer 40 in ultrakote. I bought and flewthe planethe past 4 years, so I thought it was worth recovering.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51038.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	1764977  
Old 05-21-2012, 11:34 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for general cleaning I like to use a 50/50 mix of denatured alcohol and water in a spray bottle, and some paper towels work great for cutting the grease and grime, the mix evaporates quickly but willremove most of the oil you get from glow fuel.

as for the plane it would be handy to have the remaining bits of the fuse to get the rite H stab incidence otherwise the repair looks pretty minor in its condition just patch the areas where the film is ripped and get the tail feathers on strait and fly it like ya stole it if it survives you could recover it later but have fun first
Old 05-22-2012, 02:31 AM
Oberst
Banned

This is what I make and use:

Airplane Cleaner

Mix into a gallon milk jug or equivelent-

*10 cups of distilled water
*2 cups denatured alcohol
*1 cup of ammonia
*1 cup of favorite dish soap ( I like Dawn)

Shake up lightly and pour into your spray bottle and use on your airplanes as you normally would.

This stuff removes bugs and oil of off non sealed- and sealed Solartex with a few wipe attempts and it cleans, Ultra, Mono and silk and dope aircraft. The stuff is so good I use it on the inside glass in my car. It leaves no streaks and it evaporates well.

A ol' timer wrote me about this homemade cleaner a few years back.

I figured I'd share it.

Pete

Re-edited because of mistake
Old 05-22-2012, 04:54 AM
acdii

Dawn is some good sheet! Works great when you want to clean your car before putting a coat of wax on.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:24 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Oberst

Airplane Cleaner

Shake up lightly and pour into your spray bottle and use on your airplanes as you normally would.

This stuff removes bugs and oil of off non sealed- and sealed Solartex with a few wipe attempts and it cleans, Ultra, Mono and silk and dope aircraft. The stuff is so good I use it on the inside glass in my car. It leaves no streaks and it evaporates well.

I figured I'd share it.

Pete

Good stuff, Pete. Thanks for sharing.

CGr.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:44 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

ORIGINAL: Oberst

Airplane Cleaner

I figured I'd share it.

Pete

Good stuff, Pete. Thanks for sharing.

CGr.

Ahhhh!!!! I goofed! Let me do this one more time. I'm having a senior moment!

Airplane Cleaner

*1 cup of ammonia

I'm so sorry.[&:]

And thank you CGR for getting my post up, and thanks for the nice compliment.

Pete

Old 05-22-2012, 06:56 AM
Charlie P.

A member at a club I used to belong with came up with this formula:

"Jim Quinn's Mix"

5 cups water
1 cup alcohol (91% isopropyl or stove alcohol)
1/2 cup ammonia
2 tsp detergent

I carry a little two ounce spray bottle in my flight box (a recycled CA accelerator bottle). I refill from a two liter plastic bottle.  I have used this for more than a decade on gas and glow models with no ill effects.  I use Parson's Sudsy Household Ammonia and Dawn detergent.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:22 AM
acdii

I used to carry a spray bottle of Simple green with, works great for cleaning the slime up, and smells good too, but it leaked, now my carpet in my truck smells good too.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:24 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

''Jim Quinn's Mix''

5 cups water
1/2 cup ammonia
2 tsp detergent

I carry a little two ounce spray bottle in my flight box (a recycled CA accelerator bottle). I refill from a two liter plastic bottle. I have used this for more than a decade on gas and glow models with no ill effects. I use Parson's Sudsy Household Ammonia and Dawn detergent.

Hey, wait just a cotton pickin minute....Quinn flies electric and they don't need no stinkin cleanin
Old 05-22-2012, 01:05 PM
NEW222

ORIGINAL: Jim_Purcha

Unless it was given to you, it's going to cost at least $25.00 to recover the fuselage. Which club do you attend to fly from? Saints, WRCC or Steinbach? Just repaired and recovered a Tower Trainer 40 in ultrakote. I bought and flew the plane the past 4 years, so I thought it was worth recovering.

Jim

I bought it for the attached OS LA 40. Was going to trash it as I just wanted the motor, not sure why as I fly electric. Just wanted the frusteration i guess. I fly solo. In the fields around here, or at the big field at the cottage. It will be around $50 to cover as the whole thing is geting done. The pics were taken when it got here, and I sterted to carefully remove the rear area, and none of it stuck at all, so removed it all. Same with the wing. Started to carefully cut out the rib bays where damaged, then realized that it too was not sticking. So I will recover the wing, and probably dope up the fuse as it is solid balsa. If it flies, it flies.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:31 PM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: MTK

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

''Jim Quinn's Mix''

5 cups water
1/2 cup ammonia
2 tsp detergent

I carry a little two ounce spray bottle in my flight box (a recycled CA accelerator bottle). I refill from a two liter plastic bottle. I have used this for more than a decade on gas and glow models with no ill effects. I use Parson's Sudsy Household Ammonia and Dawn detergent.

Hey, wait just a cotton pickin minute....Quinn flies electric and they don't need no stinkin cleanin
After you shake the burnt watts of your model, you still have to clean the electrics (twice per year). So this stuff will be handy. I just use top Job (Mr Clean) diluted in warm water with my gas models, and also the electric ones when the field is wet, or moist (we have grass).

So, contrary to public belief, electrics need cleaning. Slimeless, but still cleaning...

Gerry
Old 05-22-2012, 02:25 PM
Fs one

Simple green is a great product to clean the covering.No need to use full strength.Use 1/8 of simple green in average size windex bottle fill te rest of the bottle with water.If you have a lot of oil on the covering use a 1/4 of the product.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:03 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Plain old glass cleaner.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:29 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

I like a mixture of alcohol, windex and Dawn. It even works on your hands after a day of fueling and fixing planes at the field.
With the price of used planes nowadays I will trash tha trainer and get an used one RTF for 100-150$$. 
Old 05-22-2012, 06:24 PM
Charlie P.

ORIGINAL: MTK

He wasn't always a servant of the dark side. ;-)
Old 05-23-2012, 02:54 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

That's an Easy Fly 40 from Hangar 9 - you can download the manual from their web site.  I had one as my primary trainer and fall back airplane for years.  Can't tell you how many times I crashed, er hard landed  that thing and kept putting her back together.

I used Orange cleaner on her for the covering but eventually replaced the Ultracote covering with Monokote.  And K2R works wonders for inside cleaning - soaks up fuel and vacumes well.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:03 PM
NEW222

Awesome, thank you. This helps a large deal to rebuild the tail section. There is a picture in the manual that explains it all to me now. Thanks again for all the great replies.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:10 AM
NEW222

Well, I got the ammonia. Wow, is that stuff cheap. I looked for plain 'ol ammonia, but had to settle for lemon scented. So while sitting down, I cracked it and figured I'd give her a wiff to check out the lemon smell. Nothing lemon there, but I can now breathe easily through my nose as it is no longer plugged! Lesson learned, read the warnings..... But gonna mix a batch of cleaner up today and giv'er a try. Thanks again all.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:13 PM
Charlie P.

Household is about 5% by weight.  I worked at a photographic film plant that used 28% strength ammonia.  One poor guy opened an inspection hatch and got a whiff and passed out - with his head over the opening.  They found him there, dead.

I learned in college chemistry that when you need to sniff something you hold it away from your face and "push" fumes towards yourself by fanning your hand over the opening.

Lets be careful out there.  ;-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.