Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Done with GP epoxy!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Done with GP epoxy!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 08:16 AM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Done with GP epoxy!!!

I did a thread awhile back on this subject when i had several bottles of their epoxy (GP) harden up/ crystallize on me.. My shop is in my basement and stays in the 60's all year long, have some old (10 year old) Bob Smith sitting right next to it and it's still fine, old, but fine... When we moved here I ended up with a new LHS and the GP stuff is all they had, he told me he could order BS, but i gave the GP a try...

I contacted GP via email and the guy basically told me it was my fault, that somehow I got the hardener in the resin on all 3 sets!!!!! Now I know this can happen and that is why I pour my resin first and cap it before I even open the hardener, just how I have always done it and I never, never, never had an issue...

My guy at my LHS replaced all of it and said he had another customer. have the same problem... Well the new stuff did it too.. The 6 minute has never been open and is hard as a rock, but I'm sure that GP will tell be it's my fault, again!!!!! This is why I am not even going to bother to email them again, it's a waste of time... Oh, and the crap of having to put my resin in the microwave or hot water.. Well lets just say that is just plain stupid as you correction to a problem and if it's to far gone, that doesn't work..

I on the other hand am proud to say that my LHS is now selling Bob Smith epoxy and not the GP crap anymore... That puts a big smile on my face!!!!!

Note to GP and the CS department... I love how instead of admitting a problem with a product and making it right, you decided it would be easier to blame the user, your customerand shoved it under the rug so to say.. Well you lost me as a user and now every time a buyer walks into my LHS to buy epoxy, you lost them too and i couldn't be happier for you......

Note to others having the same problem and are sick of putting in in the microwave or hot water, or tossing out unused epoxy and buying more...
Change to Bob Smith, it's a much better product and you won't have the problems like with the GP garbage....
Old 12-07-2012, 08:57 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Done with GP epoxy!!!

Just put in the micro wave for 4-10 seconds depending on your power of your microwave. start with 4 seconds and feel my hand. If cool then 3-5 more seconds till slightly warm and clear again. DO NOT MIX the epoxy when it is hot to warm as it will set up in 20-30 seconds and will not be strong.

I have done this a few times and works everytime.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:00 AM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: airraptor

Just put in the micro wave for 4-10 seconds depending on your power of your microwave. start with 4 seconds and feel my hand. If cool then 3-5 more seconds till slightly warm and clear again. DO NOT MIX the epoxy when it is hot to warm as it will set up in 20-30 seconds and will not be strong.

I have done this a few times and works everytime.
Yes that works, but should we have to do that? My microwave is not down in my shop and soon as I show my face upstairs, the wife has something for me to do........... Stay down in the shop, works every time.......

Old 12-07-2012, 09:03 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had the exact same problem and Bob Smith is superior in every way. I have had a bottle of 20 min sitting on my bench for years, as good today as when I bought it. Same with their CA glues.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:37 AM
KW_Counter

Have you noticed that Customers Service's initials are CS?

I try to avoid Great planes and Tower whenever I can.
I don't think there products are that great and there are so many others to choose from.
Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 12-08-2012, 07:45 AM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: KW_Counter

Have you noticed that Customers Service's initials are CS?

I try to avoid Great planes and Tower whenever I can.
I don't think there products are that great and there are so many others to choose from.
Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Good Luck,
KW_Counter

Just one letter off of being B'S..........

They must have changed the mix to make a cheap product even cheaper...

Old 12-08-2012, 07:51 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have any of you guys useing Bob Smith ever used System three? And if you have what would you say the comparison is?

Old 12-08-2012, 07:55 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

I use the tower stuff on the ARF's and West Systems on other planes.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:48 AM
blvdbuzzard

I have some stuff Hobby Shack used to sell. This stuff was great. It has not discolored, still works and is some where around 10 years old. They had it on super sale so I bought 5 packs of the big bottles. I stopped getting the Tower or GP glues and epoxy after a few issues of the Ca going bad after 2 weeks.

Best and cheapest epoxy I have had was from a composite store. It was their brand and a full quart of resin and a 8 ounce bottle of catalyst cost just a little bit more then the 9 ounce bottle from the LHS.

Might look for a shop that sells fiber glass and carbon fiber. They usually sell the good epoxy and resins.

Buzz.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:38 AM
raptureboy

If it uses a catalyst then it's probally not epoxy but polyester resin and not as strong. Most epoxy resin comes in 2 equal size containers. Polyester resin has a short shelf life( found out the hard way) and when its past date it will not set up all the way but remains tacky. Never used the west systems but I have used Zpoxy for glassing and it works well. One thing I have been doing now is weighing out my epoxy instead of measuring. There's some great information on the Bob Smith website regarding epoxy and CA. http://www.bsi-inc.com/

ORIGINAL: blvdbuzzard

I have some stuff Hobby Shack used to sell. This stuff was great. It has not discolored, still works and is some where around 10 years old. They had it on super sale so I bought 5 packs of the big bottles. I stopped getting the Tower or GP glues and epoxy after a few issues of the Ca going bad after 2 weeks.

Best and cheapest epoxy I have had was from a composite store. It was their brand and a full quart of resin and a 8 ounce bottle of catalyst cost just a little bit more then the 9 ounce bottle from the LHS.

Might look for a shop that sells fiber glass and carbon fiber. They usually sell the good epoxy and resins.

Buzz.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:48 AM
crossman

I have had this problem with GP products too. Both with a set of 30min epoxy and a larger bottle of finishing resin. Both were rock hard when I reached for them the second time. I just assumed that it was the way they were stored(on the workbench in the basement, or something else that I did wrong. I will remember the next time to track down the Bob Smith products.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:21 PM
biam

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

G.P. ca is not any better, did not like it either.[:'(]
Old 12-11-2012, 06:01 PM
stevenmax50

I go through a bottle of epoxy, CA, wood glue every 6 months or so.  I never had anything set up cause I just go through it pretty quick.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:31 AM
Roguedog

I've had my GP epoxy and T-88 Sytem Three epoxy start to crystalize and it's due to being stored in the cold and not using it for long periods of time. Move it to a location where the temp is above 70 and it's less likely to happen.

I have a microwave five feet from my building table that iI usesometimes to heat upvery small amounts ofepoxy resin (2 to 4 grams) for making repairs.No more than 8 seconds on highandI now have a laminatingresin that wetsout extremely well. I just lay out somefiberglass over therepair area and pour it on then use a tinning brush to spreadout the resin. It will set quite fast if it's too hot. Maybe 85 to 95 degrees at most.

I also use my heat gun to warm up the epoxy as once the temp falls below 70 degrees F it thickens up quite abit.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:55 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have tryed them all and I always come right back to Bob Smith products. I have never had any issue's with any of the glue's. Good Luck, Dave
Old 01-02-2013, 07:26 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

GP glues and Epoxies suck, so does the Mercury adhesive Kicker spray nozzles and there epoxies (I'm pretty sure the mercury epoxy and GP epoxy is from the same bulk manufacturer, as they both crystalize and harden very quickly no matter what temperature they are stored at).

I use ZAP epoxies exclusively as it is the only brand that I have found that routinely sets up Rock hard even with a small inconsistency in exact quantities of hardener and resin. They can sit in 80+ or 60- degree temperatures and the only that that changes is the viscosity will either thin slight or thicken slightly, never once have I had any crystallization issues. They aren't much much expensive either (maybe $1 or 2 per kit).

The mercury adhesive CA kicker spray nozzle's suck as well. I don't know what there problem is, but over the past 2 years, I have gone through over FIFTY! (Yes 50!) of there spray nozzles. They sent me a box with at least 2 dozen spray nozzles, and the LHS got a box with 3 or 4 dozen nozzle's as well. I used all of them up in less than a year. Most lasted less than 1 hour of "building" some didn't even last more than 1 squirt before they would start leaking under the pump cap or the atomizer nozzle would pop out of the cap. COMPLETE CRAP!
Now I ONLY used ZAP "zip kicker" spray bottles and pumps. 2 years later and 10 large kicker refill bottles later , I am still using the same Original spray pump nozzle on the kicker bottle.

The mercury adhesive CA is Ok, I prefer zap as its more consistent in consistency, strength and cure times, but their lack of a re-useable bottle and a refill bottle keeps me from using them. Mercury has a nice 8oz refill bottle that lasts a few months.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:02 AM
raptureboy

+2 tower/GP epoxy and CA never last long. I have a heated basement always warm and I never have an issue with the Bob Smith products right down to the last drop even if that takes months to get there. But to each his own.
ORIGINAL: DavidAgar

I have tryed them all and I always come right back to Bob Smith products. I have never had any issue's with any of the glue's. Good Luck, Dave
Old 01-03-2013, 09:40 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: invertmast

GP glues and Epoxies suck, so does the Mercury adhesive Kicker spray nozzles and there epoxies (I'm pretty sure the mercury epoxy and GP epoxy is from the same bulk manufacturer, as they both crystalize and harden very quickly no matter what temperature they are stored at).

I use ZAP epoxies exclusively as it is the only brand that I have found that routinely sets up Rock hard even with a small inconsistency in exact quantities of hardener and resin. They can sit in 80+ or 60- degree temperatures and the only that that changes is the viscosity will either thin slight or thicken slightly, never once have I had any crystallization issues. They aren't much much expensive either (maybe $1 or 2 per kit).

The mercury adhesive CA kicker spray nozzle's suck as well. I don't know what there problem is, but over the past 2 years, I have gone through over FIFTY! (Yes 50!) of there spray nozzles. They sent me a box with at least 2 dozen spray nozzles, and the LHS got a box with 3 or 4 dozen nozzle's as well. I used all of them up in less than a year. Most lasted less than 1 hour of ''building'' some didn't even last more than 1 squirt before they would start leaking under the pump cap or the atomizer nozzle would pop out of the cap. COMPLETE CRAP!
Now I ONLY used ZAP ''zip kicker'' spray bottles and pumps. 2 years later and 10 large kicker refill bottles later , I am still using the same Original spray pump nozzle on the kicker bottle.

The mercury adhesive CA is Ok, I prefer zap as its more consistent in consistency, strength and cure times, but their lack of a re-useable bottle and a refill bottle keeps me from using them. Mercury has a nice 8oz refill bottle that lasts a few months.
Where do you get the best prices on ZAP?
Old 01-03-2013, 09:41 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just 'found' a bottle of Zap thin.....opened on 1/11/11 and it is still good! I'm amazed to say the least and yes, I write the opening date on the bottles
Old 01-03-2013, 03:51 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tailskid

I just 'found' a bottle of Zap thin.....opened on 1/11/11 and it is still good! I'm amazed to say the least and yes, I write the opening date on the bottles
I usually buy the GP and Tower stuff and it just doesn't last at all. I usually have to restock every year and that junk is costly. I am certainly thinking about changing big time. I hate to sock a hundred+ bucks at the beginning of each season re-stocking basics like CA and Epoxy. It does not make sense to me.

I have some CA that I bought that is hard as a rock and has NEVER been opened. Maybe we should start sending this stuff back when it gets hard and let them deal with it.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:11 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

The mercury adhesive CA kicker spray nozzle's suck as well. I don't know what there problem is, but over the past 2 years, I have gone through over FIFTY! (Yes 50!) of there spray nozzles. They sent me a box with at least 2 dozen spray nozzles, and the LHS got a box with 3 or 4 dozen nozzle's as well. I used all of them up in less than a year. Most lasted less than 1 hour of ''building'' some didn't even last more than 1 squirt before they would start leaking under the pump cap or the atomizer nozzle would pop out of the cap. COMPLETE CRAP!
Now I ONLY used ZAP ''zip kicker'' spray bottles and pumps. 2 years later and 10 large kicker refill bottles later , I am still using the same Original spray pump nozzle on the kicker bottle.

Where do you get the best prices on ZAP?

I don't bother looking for the best price on something like a $5 bottle of glue, its not worth the time to do so to me. I just put in a bottle or 2 of what I need whenever i place an order from someplace that carries it.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:40 PM
Rate1

I got the GP epoxy 5 months ago, large bottles, and now useless. I ended up throwing it away 3/4 full. Keept it as supposed. Never buying GP glue again.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:02 PM
Cliffw

Hi,
I am sorry you have trouble with our Mercury Spray Nozzles. Unlike other companies Mercury is made in the USA and has an unconditional replacement program, If you have any isues just give us a call or Email and we will replace it and that includes the Nozzles.

I can assure you our Epoxy formulas are proprietary to Mercury (as is the case with all of our CA products) and it is not the same as the GP or other foreign made brands mentioned here. As to the Resins and the Crystals, again, I apologize for the trouble, this is common with high quality and very pure resins especially as the temperature changes. I have attached the technical explanation in the attached PDF file from an independent lab so everyone can understand what goes on with epoxy and to show that this does no effect the quality. Remember Mercury has an unconditional replacement program and I am happy to send you a replacement but the easy fix is to put it in the Microwave for about 15 seconds or some boiling water or to sit it outside on a sunny day and you will be good to go.

Thanks again for using USA made products!
Cliff Whitney
Owner Mercury Adhesives
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Us53278.pdf (115.9 KB, 25 views)
Old 01-19-2013, 10:30 AM
dadragon

After a build the epoxy stays around for about 3 mo's then off to the dump.I switched to systems three when useing epoxy is very little,Gorilla works best for me.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:21 AM
eagledancer

i have also had problems with GP and tower epoxy, i now use devcon or locktite. no more problems