Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

Fly-Model mini Raven 30E

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Fly-Model mini Raven 30E

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 07:28 PM
Cpt Crash
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fly-Model mini Raven 30E

Anybody try one of these yet? I just finished putting mine together. It's a pretty decent little plane. I used the hardware provided and found it to be OK, will probably replace the pushrods in the near future. Some construction notes:

The FG control horns epoxy into slots in the woodwork. It was easy to set up the wings since the servo slots are precut.

The tail feathers require a bit more work. Rudder pull-pull horn slot was only partially there, requiring some cutting and alignment. Still, the included FG horn worked out fine. I ran the wire into the CF horns, used the copper crimps, then used the included pushrod retainers to secure the servo ends of the pull-pull wire.

Stab/elevator seems a bit fragile. I'll probably put CF rods from bottom of tailcone up to stab to prevent flutter.

The Exceed 3020 motor is a direct drop-in for the included motor mount. Any other motor will require mods to the mount.

The only "major" glitch is that the tail feathers are slightly out of square with the wing. I used Solar metal gear mini servos from Nitroplanes for all surfaces. Power will come from a 2200 mAh 14.8V 4 cell batt. Gotta get my Dynam ESC set up and installed and then take it out and try it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84150.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	1841293   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83834.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	1841294   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51626.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1841295  
Old 01-23-2013, 10:21 AM
opjose

Default RE: Fly-Model mini Raven 30E

ORIGINAL: Cpt Crash

Stab/elevator seems a bit fragile. I'll probably put CF rods from bottom of tailcone up to stab to prevent flutter.
Good tip. I was wondering about this plane too.

BTW: I had to do that with the 50cc Ultimate after the entire tail elevator fluttered off!

If you can slightly bend the elevator or rudder with a small bit of force, it NEEDS re-inforcement.

The tail should always feel stiff if the plane is properly set up.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:34 PM
Cpt Crash

Flew my Raven for the first time on Wednesday, and it's a great little plane. I'm using a 2200 mAh 4S battery, with an Exceed 3020 motor and an APC 13x6.5E prop and a Dynam 60 amp speed control. There's gobs of power, and the plane is a floater. Not pushing it hard right now but hope to do so in the near future. Everything held together for a few flights to trim things out and try different CG settings. No instructions means I hunted around on the web and found a manual for a similar plane, leading to initial CG at 93mm from LE at root rib. It flies just fine there, but it's more of an advanced CG, with a pronounced (but not unflyable) tail drop at low power. Moving the CG forward by 5mm gives a more "sport flyer" feel. This is a great little plane for pilots looking for an electric bird that has lots of capability, but can be tuned to fly easy. Given the light wing loading, bigger batteries can also be used without compromising performance. I'm happy...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37984.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	1843953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79601.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	1843954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92788.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	1843955  
Old 01-27-2013, 12:14 PM
opjose

If you can, upload a pic of your tail re-inforcement area.

As they say, a picture is worth....

Old 10-11-2014, 03:44 PM
LindenRA

Cpt. I just ordered one of these yesterday. I thought I saw you at our field one day in Albuquerque (Maloof Airpark). I haven't picked which power I'm going to use. Electric or gas.
Maybe I see you at the field.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:30 PM
Cpt Crash

Linden,

Electric is the only way to go with this airframe; it's mostly covering and very light. That being said, I've had a bunch of less-that-perfect touchdowns and it's staying together well. I really like this plane. I do hang out at Maloof; look for the yellow/black Monocoupe. See you out there...
Old 10-30-2017, 03:37 PM
Bklynbrad

Default I know this is an OLD thread but....

I acquired a mini raven 30E that was previously electric and had slightly been crashed (nothing bad at all), couple small quick fixes and was good to go however I come from a nitro only world and that being said i wanted to see about converting this raven 30 to nitro. It's soooooooo light i want to say this little 15 nitro engine ive got might just do the trick but my question is a) has anyone done a electric to nitro conversion on this plane and b) if so (or even if not) what size nitro engine should I use? Any help, thoughts, comments are greatly appreciated!!!!!

Cheers,

Brad