Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Dirty Birdy 40 - Laser Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 09:14 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Dirty Birdy 40 - Laser Kit

Scott and others,

the light and strong XLT/Escape/Exception canopy with CF reinforcement will work out great once I get to that fuse build - it's still a few down the road, perhaps next Winter. I will likely do the glass fuse version first building wings and stabs for both at the same time. As a brief topic deviation, for those who plan to build any of the above three designs from plans (or from short kits), Scott can make a glass canopy/deck that will enclose a fuse top tuned pipe. I chose to use one of these instead of the classic glass Deception canopy (which Scott also makes) as it offers more room for the exhaust to breathe and it makes installation and maintenance easier. I find it also gives the models a slightly sleeker more "modern" '80's look vs the more vintage looking '70's classic Deception canopy.

For those who may be interested, Scott also made me a very nice glass canopy for the DB - light and strong with some "cross glass" in key points. I asked Scott to make this one light for the DB40. As you may know, the DB40 and DB60 shared the exact same canopy in the original Bridi kits (not the BluJay kits which have a different "line and grace cutting" version) so these canopies will be ideal for those who wish to build their DB40 with a fully painted fuse. Naturally, it is also possible to cover the fuse and paint the canopy but in that case, builders may prefer to go with the newly available Park Flyer Plastics PET canopies - especially if you want portions or the entire canopy clear. In short, we are fortunate to have both options available. In summary:

For glass canopies
Contact Scott at Performance Model Aviation (http://www.rcfoamy.com/) or directly through RCU/RCG if you would like a nice light glass canopy.

For clear PET canopies
Contact Keith at Park Flyer Plastics or order directly online from: http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=608) for a clear .030 PET canopy.

Both of these are accurate on either DB40 or DB60 wood fuse models.

I will post pictures of my #1 DB40 proto fuse build with glass canopy when it's finished with a few "in progress" pictures (hoping I took them). I will likely also build the #2 proto kit and use a clear PET canopy on it as well as a different power plant possibly electric and use fixed gear with a battery access under the front fuse bottom.

David

PS I would like to take one more opportunity to thank Paul, Rick, Keith, Scott and Brian for their help and contribution to the project in sourcing, providing, molding, pulling and laying up canopies for these kits.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:43 PM
soliex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in a kit, sent PM
Old 01-13-2013, 05:38 PM
doxilia

ORIGINAL: soliex

I'm interested in a kit, sent PM
Dave,

thanks for your interest. PM replied to.

David
Old 01-13-2013, 06:48 PM
PatternPilot
My Feedback: (58)

David,

Your welcome with the help with this project...

s.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:57 PM
doxilia

Scott,

couldn't have been done without you guys. Thanks for replying.

I'm looking forward to some stacks of balsa kits in the not too distant future. I just hope my cutter comes through...[X(]

Things are looking good though.

David

Old 01-13-2013, 07:03 PM
PatternPilot

David,

That is way cool on your kits..

sent you a PM also.

s.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:55 PM
Jim Johns

Very interesting thread. Sent you a PM about a kit, David.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:04 AM
doxilia

Folks,

an update is in order.

As many of you know, the DB40 is now available. I sent an email to everyone on my "thread list" with information regarding the availability of the DB40 kit. Thanks to all who sent me email with questions. I have tried to reply to those that required answers but there were many so if you have some unanswered questions, please drop me another line with an appropriate subject line (e.g., DB40 questions).

I would also like to thank everyone who has sent me a deposit for their kit. There were several parties in the list and I have continued to receive requests up to this date.

The kits will be ordered tomorrow with a final tally given to the cutter next Monday February 18. If you would like a kit and didn't receive my email with details, you are still in time. Please send me a PM with your full name and email address and I'll send you info. Closing for orders will be Sunday 17th at midnight.

There are several kits that need to be cut so I appreciate your patience while this is being done. Once they are all cut, they will be sent to me for kitting (wood separation), boxing and inclusion of plans and some other documentation (parts list and items required to finish kit). Being short kits, no "instructions" per se will be included but I will be posting some pictures of my build as I find more time to complete it.

The build is pretty straight forward and I suspect many of you won't need instructions or reference photographs - you'll just know how to put it together. I'm building even without full size plans (they're actually not needed even for the wing) but then again, I'm familiar with what I did in the re-design. The parts list and plans will help to identify any parts that you may be unsure of their intended purpose.

I expect the kits will be delivered to me within a 3-4 week time frame so you can expect shipment sometime around mid-March.

I look forward to sending out your kit and seeing some more Dirty Birdy's coming to life!

Happy Valentines Day!

David

P.S. I would be interested in knowing who plans to power with glow and who with electric. If you ordered a kit and have a moment, please send me an email with a subject line "DB40 - glow" or "DB40 - electric" as appropriate. If you want to add any details to your email, feel free to do so (e.g., retracts or fixed, pneumatic, mechanicals or electric, trike or conventional, pipe or muffler, covering or paint, etc.). This info will help me with the documentation for the kits.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:27 PM
doxilia

Fellas,

excellent news!

40 pounds of DB40 kits are en-route to me as I write this.

I also have a stack of plans that were printed last weekend. I hadn't printed the plans in full scale until recently and am happy to report that they turned out quite well.

The kit stack should arrive some time next week after which I'll begin to box them up individually. I'll be emailing you individually with details for the balance owing including shipping as your kit is boxed and ready to go. I expect to be shipping the first kits by the end of the month.

Stay tuned!

David

PS If you need to communicate with me, most of you should have my email and that is preferred. If it's via forum PM, please use RCU as the RCG system is somewhat limiting and your message may not get through. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:11 PM
doxilia

The first run of DB40 kits arrived at my door today - all 40 lbs worth! It's a good thing I lift my kids on a daily basis...

Now begins the task of sorting the wood and producing a stack of kits as well as making a bunch of plans roll-ups. My wife joked that my teenage bus boy cutlery & napkin skills from yesteryear will come in handy!

Boxing and labeling will follow and then I'll drop you guys email letting you know where things stand balance wise.

I'll need to crack open a Beck's and some popcorn to get me through it!

David
Old 03-20-2013, 05:56 PM
Yucholian
My Feedback: (7)

Have you figured out what the price is?
Old 03-20-2013, 06:11 PM
doxilia

ORIGINAL: Yucholian

Price of...?

For the kits, I hope so!

Did you order a kit or are you inquiring? If it's the latter, please send me a PM with your full name and email address and I'll forward you the info.

I managed to get the first batch of kits sorted out and readied for kitting.

David
Old 03-31-2013, 07:15 AM
doxilia

Folks,

the first batch of DB40 kits have been kitted and they are ready to be bagged, boxed, labelled and administrated. As I haven't dealt with this kind of volume before, it is requiring a little finesse with the post office and getting a sensible shipping structure going. The good news is that I have managed to find a way to ship these without the shipping costs being excessive. It's all about box magic.

I hope to be in touch with you all in the first couple of weeks this April. Circumstances at the homestead haven't been very favorable lately what with my wife being ill and me burning the candle at both ends to run the show and what seems like a relentless schedule of my two kids.

Your kits are here and they are coming, soon...

Thanks for your continued patience and happy Easter/Passover to all.

David
Old 03-31-2013, 05:03 PM
Yucholian
My Feedback: (7)

I sent you a PM on RCGroup which you said you'd get back to me when you returned from a trip, you never did.
Following your reply below, I sent you another PM through RC Universe with no reply either.
I will assume you are not interested in dealing with me.

ORIGINAL: doxilia

Price of...?

For the kits, I hope so!

Did you order a kit or are you inquiring? If it's the latter, please send me a PM with your full name and email address and I'll forward you the info.

I managed to get the first batch of kits sorted out and readied for kitting.

David
Old 03-31-2013, 05:26 PM
alcarafa

[quote]ORIGINAL: Yucholian

I sent you a PM on RCGroup which you said you'd get back to me when you returned from a trip, you never did.
Following your reply below, I sent you another PM through RC Universe with no reply either.

[quote]

Maybe you should be more patient, I know Doxilia ( David) well and assure you he is a gentleman.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:06 PM
doxilia

Yucholian,

Not the case at all and I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. It has been an unusually busy month and I've had family unwell at home so I've been wearing 10 hats a day.

That said, the final ordering date for the initial run of DB40 kits closed a few weeks ago and I'm in the process of getting those kits out as evidenced from my recent posts. I'll send you the info soon and if I'm able to, will do a second run sometime this summer.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

David

PS Rafa, thanks for your kind words and supportive post.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:40 AM
AwwNaww

I am in no hurry for mine, David. Good luck with the family issues.
rich
Old 04-10-2013, 06:00 PM
doxilia

Ooooooh... RCU is up and alive again! Must have gotten a shot of adrenalin in the neural network...

Just finished posting over on the thread at RCG. Here goes:

Gentlemen,

the eagle has landed!

I lost track of how many rolls of tape and tennis wrist bands (for my forehead) I went through in getting this orchestrated. But..., the kits are finally ready to be shipped! They are boxed and ready to go, YES! [8D]

About half an hour ago, I sent email to all the parties with details. In a few days I will be sending another email with a reference document listing the parts on the laser sheets. I also put together a list with items needed to complete the build - just something that might be handy when you get your "stock wood and gear shopping list" together.

For upcoming build inspiration, I fashioned a couple of fuse colour samples using the classic Dirty Birdy trim scheme. White and red with the AMA logo, yellow and blue with the MAAC logo. I hadn't really used CAD for this until recently so it was fun to learn how to do it.

Thanks again for your interest in the project and I look forward to getting your kit to the PO!

Any questions, you know how to reach me.

David

Edit: Eeeer..., so much for the downtime. Picture uploads is as broken as ever.

Edit: A few days later..., I managed to upload the pictures!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13005.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	1870472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12126.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	1870473  
Old 04-11-2013, 02:34 PM
alcarafa

David

Edit: Eeeer..., so much for the downtime. Picture uploads is as broken as ever.
As always my friend .....
Old 04-16-2013, 10:42 AM
AwwNaww

Kit received and very fine! Thank you!
Old 04-16-2013, 11:43 AM
Jim Johns

Reeived my kit yesterday here in Alabama. Well done, David.

Jim
Old 04-16-2013, 01:17 PM
doxilia

Glad to hear the kits are arriving safe and sound. I hope they are to your liking.

I'll be sending you some docs in a few days, just haven't had a chance to get to them.

I managed to upload the couple of colour trim schemes I made to the post above.

Enjoy!

David
Old 04-16-2013, 02:49 PM
PatternPilot

Anyone needing a canopy please email me at [email protected]

Scott
Old 04-16-2013, 03:12 PM
soliex

Received mine in good shape as well. I don't have an engine for this project yet, what should I buy for it? And what retracts would go well this?

Thanks
Old 04-16-2013, 05:22 PM
Jim Johns

Glad to hear the kits are arriving safe and sound. I hope they are to your liking.

I'll be sending you some docs in a few days, just haven't had a chance to get to them.

I managed to upload the couple of colour trim schemes I made to the post above.

Enjoy!

David
David,

I came up with one last night using my old standard scheme of Missle Red, Jet White, and Metallic Blue MonoKote. The 2nd wing down is the bottom. That's one view no one ever shows, but it almost as important to me as the top, because it's how I tell top from bottom. It's pretty rough, but hopefully you get the idea. See below.

ORIGINAL: soliex

Received mine in good shape as well. I don't have an engine for this project yet, what should I buy for it? And what retracts would go well this?

Thanks
I'm planning to put a YS 45 in mine, but haven't given any thought to retracts yet. I have a Park Flyers Plastics canopy for mine as well.

Jim

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97978.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	1872814  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.