Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Dirty Birdy 40 - Laser Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:23 PM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dirty Birdy 40 - Laser Kit

For those interested, I hope their decision to get one or more of these canopies will not be driven by price. Great Planes had the design around for years and then it just dropped out of sight. The look of the original canopy with the divit around the base is very cool as opposed to a standard teardrop.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:09 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those interested, I hope their decision to get one or more of these canopies will not be driven by price. Great Planes had the design around for years and then it just dropped out of sight. The look of the original canopy with the divit around the base is very cool as opposed to a standard teardrop.
Roary,

I don't understand what you're trying to say, but the canopy that was used for the mold came from a Birdi kit, so it's not a standard teardrop shape, but a better example of a classic design as the vendor fixed a couple of small issues when the mold was made.

FB
Old 04-08-2012, 08:09 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Updates to the project were posted to the parallel thread on RCG:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1600450

I will post the same updates here when time allows.

David
Old 04-19-2012, 02:07 PM
doxilia

Well Fellas,

an update seems in order since another 10 days have passed. My cutter is presently traveling out West with his business and is expected back the 28th if memory serves. What this means is that there are no kits being cut until after that date. I'm hoping he will be able to commence the first week of May so we can start getting some of these kits in your hands.

In the meantime, I have been looking into a secondary cutter who could produce additional kits in parallel. Ideally that cutter would be based in the US so that the kits that have to go to US addresses could be directly dropped shipped. Unfortunately, after much time and effort seeking service at reasonable rates, I have come up empty handed. I will continue the effort to try and obtain a secondary cutter but at this point, it may be a tricky proposition to find someone with the right attributes and fair pricing.

Should I be unable to find a secondary cutter, my current cutter will produce the kits but it will just take place at a slower rate. It's conceivable that he may only be able to produce a given quantity.

I'll have further news as soon as I have something to report.

Thanks to all for your continued interested and patience with this project.

David
Old 04-20-2012, 05:11 AM
Gene Margiotti
My Feedback: (4)

Hi David,

Thanks for the update. Any price for the kits yet? PM if necessary.

Gene
Old 04-30-2012, 08:49 AM
doxilia

An update:

I am currently getting some assistance to seek out a US based laser cutter that can produce the kits at a reasonable cost. Harder than one might think (harder than I thought at least). I expect my local cutter to be back in business starting in May so hopefully he'll be able to start with a few kits at the very least.

As soon as I have located a US based cutter that can offer reasonable pricing, I'll have figures on the kit cost. Until that time, I won't have them as I'd be making it up and that wouldn't help much. Having said that, my effort has centered around a kit that is roughly equivalent in cost to a non laser cut DB60 kit. This one being 90% laser cut, will likely be a little more expensive but how much will depend on the cutters. The fact that this project is also not part of a factory serial kitting business (e.g., like Blue Jay Models), doesn't allow the cost to be as low as theirs but I believe it will still be reasonable.

Thanks, David
Old 04-30-2012, 08:50 AM
doxilia

Hey Rick,

on another front, I recently checked the canopy pages at PFP's and still no sign of the DB canopies. Any idea if they will come online soon?

Thanks, David
Old 04-30-2012, 08:51 AM
doxilia

ORIGINAL: Gene Margiotti

Hi David,

Thanks for the update. Any price for the kits yet? PM if necessary.

Gene
Gene,

please see post #56 for the latest.

David
Old 05-01-2012, 03:23 AM
Free Bird

Hey Rick,

on another front, I recently checked the canopy pages at PFP's and still no sign of the DB canopies. Any idea if they will come online soon?

Thanks, David
Keith said it would be a few weeks for the website to be updated. Best I could offer is that if someone wants a canopy, they should contact parkflyerplastics directly.

BTW - I still have your canopy, I'll try to get it out this week, finding a proper box hasn't been easy. Still looking forward to your kit!

FB
Old 05-01-2012, 09:22 PM
rcscott101

I am interested in a canopy also especially if they look better than the orig. mine is very noticably yellowed, not cool unless I paint the inside black or silver which isn't to bad of a plan but I kind of wanted to go clear so it didn't look like an ARF will check back, scott
Old 05-02-2012, 05:17 AM
doxilia

Scott,

Canopies should be available if you contact Park Flyer Platics (see their web site) directly. The owners name is a few posts up. The new canopies are identical to the original Bridi canopies as per the BHE plans and they are very strong. If yours is a little aged, a new one should take care of things.

I would do a partial paint job on the outside to give it some real canopy definition (see outline in my plans on post #1) but thats me. I doubt your model will look like the ARF no matter what you do with the canopy...

David
Old 05-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The DB canopy is on the Park Flyer Plastic website now.

Jim
Old 05-02-2012, 04:23 PM
doxilia

Thanks Jim.

For some reason its the only one that doesn't have a price yet. It'll probably be $6 or $7 I suspect.

Beetle and Mach 1 are up too!

David
Old 05-07-2012, 10:55 AM
rv7driver
My Feedback: (105)

received 2 40/60 D.B. canopy's from parkflyers today, Keith did a great job on them!! Pete
Old 05-07-2012, 12:27 PM
Free Bird

Thanks for the feedback Pete, good to know the canopies are available and you approve!

FB
Old 05-07-2012, 01:09 PM
doxilia

Glad to hear things are working out with the canopies. So far more of those have been shipped than planes to go underneath...

I have been a little swamped with things lately but will unbury myself very soon and have an update on the kits. I have managed to do a little framing up of the prototype and the fuse/empennage is coming along nicely. The build has actually shed some light on further refinements which I have been adding to the drawings. The frame-up actually has gone pretty quickly with 3 evenings to bring the tail feathers to completion and the fuse has it's top and front blocks on. I spent a couple of hours previous to that laminating and rough sanding the various balsa parts and ply formers.

I am waiting for retracts in order to complete the fuse and final shaping. I don't anticipate the wing to give me any great flashes of light during the build so that will not be holding up the kits. There is only one item I decided to change in the wing design - moving from 3/8" wide retract rails to 1/2" wide.

The carving and sanding of the fuse promises to be a dust cloud! (yet, still less than the original kit offered). I will post a series of photos of the build when it's complete.

David

P.S. And yes, thanks for the feedback Pete. And good to hear from you!
Old 06-14-2012, 07:17 PM
doxilia

Dear Dirty Birdy 40 fans,

as promised, the update.

While it can be tiresome to continue reading or hearing one reason after another for delays to the project, I have to tell you where things stand.

After spending the month of April on a daily basis negotiating the production of these kits with various different cutters and suppliers, I was unsuccessful. I know what the "Magic" cost of these kits to you guys ought to be and it is therefore important that I can find a cutter that will both produce the kit for the appropriate cost as well as be able to produce them in sufficient numbers to accommodate all the interested parties.

While I have not given up, the month of May was a write off work wise and I was unable to pursue any hobby related activities. Despite my work load easing up this month, it is proving to be unfortunate as we recently had a technician come into the house to do some telecommunications work and he managed to drill through a water pipe. As a result, we've been in "damage control" mode for the last 10 days and now dealing with the major repairs being forecast as well as having to relocate various belongings in order for the work to be done. On an disappointing note, the resulting water flood in my work shop (below our bedroom) caused damage to several models that I had built but were unfinished. Naturally, the DB40 prototype which I had on the construction bench also suffered water damage despite it being in a different part of the shop where the main flood took place. Luckily the damage was mainly to the tail feathers which were finished and ready to cover/paint. The fuse will be recoverable.

In any event, these details are not of particular interest to all you guys but I mention them so that you can better understand the reasons causing the delay to the production of the laser kits. Next week, I hope to be able to continue with the search for the production of the kits and also recontact my local cutter who should be able to produce a small number of them initially. The prototype build illuminated various little changes that were either needed or would improve the kit and I will also have to incorporate those into the drawings before additional kits can be produced.

At this point, it is likely that the DB40 will not be available until later this summer and might therefore become a fall/winter build project for those who wish to get started. I thank you for your continued patience and look forward to getting a bunch of kits on their way to all of you in the not too distant future.

David
Old 06-14-2012, 07:46 PM
Gene Margiotti

David,

Keep up the good work and get your family in order first. We'll still be here when you are ready.

Gene
Old 06-14-2012, 07:52 PM
doxilia

Gene,

I appreciate your understanding and kind words. As you say, there is always another good day to build and fly the classics.

David
Old 06-15-2012, 09:54 AM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry- deleted a repeated post.

Attached Images  
Old 06-29-2012, 08:05 AM
rcscott101

Thanks david! I am also delayed in my building of the DB 40 kit as I have moved, will resume building and order a canopy soon, these canopies look awesome. anyway sorry to here about your flood in your shop, hope you can get everything in order again. I worked as a flood tech repair person in las vegas a few years ago so I know how frustrating this process can be. best wishes, scott
Old 12-10-2012, 10:28 AM
doxilia

Fellow DB40 fans,

I believe I may have some good news...

I have continued to receive inquires about the kit and after a few months of putting the project on ice, I have picked it up again. Other than the flood in my basement, the limiting factor was finding a laser cutter who could produce the kit at a reasonable cost.

For those who inquired recently, it will be a "not so short" wood kit with all wood included except for standard "long stock" such as spars, stringers and triangle stock. 1/16" sheeting for the wings will also have to be provided by the builder. All wood that made sense to have laser cut, is in the layout for the kit. If you have some wood stock in your shop, you will likely be able to complete the model without much wood to purchase if any. The kit will come with the CAD plans shown in the thread that the kit is cut from. PET canopies are available from Park Flyer Plastics for a few dollars. Glass canopies may also be available on a per request basis. I'll post info on that at a later time when the kits are available.

I have located a new local cutter who's prices ought to line up with expectations. I am having a kit cut this week (today actually) to make sure the level of wood and cut quality is up to standard. If all is well, I will be cutting in numbers and they will likely be available early January. Maybe a few will be available before the holidays if we're lucky.

Keep your fingers crossed!

David
Old 01-11-2013, 08:15 PM
doxilia

Call to all DB40 fans!

The #2 DB40 proto kit is in the mail and on its way! This was required in order to assess viability, cost and time required from the new cutter. I have inquired about small volume production, turnaround time and other details, and, it appears (fingers crossed), that we will be able to proceed with having kits cut for all those who expressed interest!

It's been a long wait and I apologize emphatically for keeping you all in eterno sospenso on this subject. It now seems that if you want a DB40 CAD kit, your hopes will soon be answered.

I want to verify this second kit for correctness (this time, the cutters as my CAD work was checked and verified with the first proto kit) and it should be here next week. After that, I will post details on how to proceed if you'd like one.

I hope y'all still want to build Dirty Birdy 40's!

David
Old 01-12-2013, 07:04 AM
Gene Margiotti

David that is great news for the new Year!! Thanks.

Gene
Old 01-12-2013, 07:45 AM
PatternPilot
My Feedback: (58)

David,

How you making out with the XLT and DB glass canopies i made for you.. Did the weight work for you ?

s.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.