Community
Search
Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

Turbo Prop question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 06:31 PM
Mike Haddox
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Prop question

How can you tell if you are getting enough lubrication to the geardrive on the JetCat turbine?

Looking at the fuel line while running it doesn't seem to be moving the enough fuel to the front bearings.

Everything is hooked up like the manuel states. Just wondering. Thanks, Mike Haddox
Old 04-22-2013, 10:28 PM
Aussie Bart

Default RE: Turbo Prop question

Mike

You really don't see flow because the can is connected to the same line and provides an air bleed system to push the fuel through, there is allot of air and only a small amount of fuel.

If you have doubts just pop the line off going into the gearbox, clamp the main fuel line closed and run the pump in prime mode. You should see a small dribble of fuel that has come via the needle restictor/final filter.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:46 AM
Mike Haddox

Thanks Bart,

Just wondering. Didn't want to starve it of lubrication. I don't understand why the pressure from the bottom of

the engine is used. It seems that the pressure would push the fuel back toward the pump. I'm sure JetCat has all that figured out.

Great running little engine. It's amazing how far our hobby has come. Mike
Old 04-23-2013, 12:33 PM
Aussie Bart

They are a great engine Mike, I really enjoy mine.

The air is used to help "vaporise" the cooling/lube fuel through the box. If it was set up as an oil bath there would be way too much drag and mechanical loss.

The fuel pump is already seeing the same pressure as it is pumping fuel through the needles into the combustion chamber which is at the same pressure as the can.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:47 PM
4ptroll
My Feedback: (35)

Can you guys tell me how you are connecting your exhaust pipes to the turbine. I have a set of Tam's pipes and I'm not sure of the best way to connect them.

Thanks

Larry
Old 09-21-2014, 02:53 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ptroll
Can you guys tell me how you are connecting your exhaust pipes to the turbine. I have a set of Tam's pipes and I'm not sure of the best way to connect them.

Thanks

Larry
I'm not sure about others, but if the "fit" is tight enough, a clamp works great. I did add 2 small screws to prevent any movement in any direction or from coming off in case it loosened up. You can see the one screw in the pic, the other is around near the clamping screw. I think this pic was taken before the second one was put in place.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0743.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	2033861  
Old 09-21-2014, 06:02 PM
Mike Haddox

Larry,

I drilled and tapped mine for 4-40 bolts in four places. Very strong and secure.

Mike Haddox
Old 09-21-2014, 09:20 PM
George

Originally Posted by Mike Haddox
Larry,

I drilled and tapped mine for 4-40 bolts in four places. Very strong and secure.

Mike Haddox
Yes, that is a great method, BUT only if you have access, which I do not.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:04 AM
4ptroll
My Feedback: (35)

Mike and George....thank you for the info.

George...I like the clamping idea. What type of clamps are you using?
Old 09-22-2014, 04:26 AM
George

Originally Posted by 4ptroll
Mike and George....thank you for the info.

George...I like the clamping idea. What type of clamps are you using?
They are just regular hose clamps from the auto parts store. I can't remember the size, but around 2"-2.5". Just make sure your pipes are a "snug" fit around the turbine outlets. If they are Tam's and were built for the SPT5, then they should be a good fit.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:17 AM
Gonzalo38

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure they are clamps that can stand temperature. Did use some regular clamps in mine at first and after a couple of flights, they were done. The changed to ones than can stand high temperatures and never a problem again. I just make sure after a couple of flights that they are still tight by trying to move them a little bit. If they move, just tight them back a little bit.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:54 AM
George

Yeah, my clamps are pretty "beefy" and not thin cheap metal. I have 7 flights on mine before the gearbox issue; and the clamps were holding good.