Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

My Wood & Foam Bridi UFO Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 03:56 PM
Old School Pattern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My Wood & Foam Bridi UFO Build

Thought I would just see if this great site worked yet! Guess not tried to post some pictures. Oh Well.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:05 PM
R_G
My Feedback: (1)

It's like kicking a dead horse!
Old 04-11-2013, 05:36 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Rcu is being ridiculed on numerous websites.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:44 PM
R_G

I've decided that I won't be continuing with this build thread, here or anywhere else. With all the photos missing the thread has lost it's continuity. I think adding more photos, here or somewhere else, would be almost pointless. Once I finish the UFO I'll post photos elsewhere. Unless the RCU Wiz Kids manage to somehow find a way to bring back all the lost photos this is the end of the line for this thread.

I feel bad for the Mods here. They are on the front lines and I'm sure they are taking most of the heat for all the problems even though it's not their fault. The Mods are probably the only people here that are doing their job properly and, as far as I know, they are all volunteers. I hope they have broad shoulders and lots of patience.

When I first started posting here everything worked perfectly and RCU was a great site. It's a real shame what a train wreck this place has turned into. Rainedave's UFO and 8178's Blue Angel threads are the two builds that inspired me to start my own thread. Now both of these fine threads along with 1oo's, probably 1000's of others are ruined.

With the exception of "[link=http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=arrogant%20ass]Cees the Arrogant Ass[/link]" I'd like to thank everyone that posted in this thread. Your kind words and support were, and still are, very much appreciated. They helped keep me motivated during this build.

See you on RCG.

RG
Old 04-11-2013, 09:09 PM
Roguedog

Any body see the the Thread Announcement that has been popping up and disappearing for the last couple of days.
Here's the title of the announcement- "RCU Is In the Doghouse"

Freaking Hilarious! They can't even keep the annoucement from disappearing and reappearing. What a nightmare.I think they should fire thethe people that sold them on the so-called upgrade.Someone was sold a bill of goods.I can see itnow Yea we can do that! No problem!The conversionwill only take a couple of days. The users won't even know we're doing it.

Then dayone of the conversion -

I did read in a thread that IB (Internet Brands), RCU's new owner, has been trying to convert the old thread software to their own version. Without much success I might add. Also read that their trying to put the site a superfast cloud server.

See top line of attached pic

*****Edit**** no pics still
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36248.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	627.6 KB
ID:	1870707  
Old 04-11-2013, 11:26 PM
roncoleman
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ralph I been following and enjoying your thread since day one. That's one sweet UFO and I was looking forward to seeing and reading your last few post to it completion and your flight report here on RCU. But I feel yours and the others pain. You guys are the ones who made this site what it is. It's a sad day when the founder of this forum jumps ship due endless site issues. I hope to see your post and photos on the other side (RC Groups), along with the rest (8178, Doxilia, Roguedog, Crank and others).
Old 04-12-2013, 04:59 AM
hrrcflyer

ORIGINAL: roncoleman

Ralph I been following and enjoying your thread since day one. That's one sweet UFO and I was looking forward to seeing and reading your last few post to it completion and your flight report here on RCU. But I feel yours and the others pain. You guys are the ones who made this site what it is. It's a sad day when the founder of this forum jumps ship due endless site issues. I hope to see your post and photos on the other side (RC Groups), along with the rest (8178, Doxilia, Roguedog, Crank and others).
Hey Ralph,

I am in full agreement with what Ron said. I too have been following your UFO build since the beginning and certainly hope you reconsider finishing your UFO on RCG. Since I have never done a build thread, I cannot imagine your frustration with RCU's ruining all of your hard work. All I can do hope you change your mind, because I am certain Ron and I are not the only ones who have enjoyed watching you work your magic.

Take care,

David
Old 04-12-2013, 06:22 AM
R_G

Thanks guys!

Came across this post this morning:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=11474009

After 2+ years of problems, I'll believe it when I see it.

RG
Old 04-12-2013, 08:54 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: R_G
After 2+ years of problems, I'll believe it when I see it.

RG
Indeed Ralph.

Thanks for the link to the clubhouse discussion.

Here's what I wrote to management:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=11475407

David
Old 04-12-2013, 04:40 PM
R_G

WOW! It looks like a miracle has happened! Most of the photos have reappeared! [X(]

There are still 26 photos missing, but that's better than 968! We'll see how long it lasts!

RG
Old 04-28-2013, 03:51 PM
R_G

Well, it's been over two weeks since most of the photos reappeared, so I guess I'll carry on with this thread and keep my fingers crossed that they don't disappear again!

I've been working on getting set up to run the O.S. .61SF that will power this UFO. The first photo shows my initial setup for the tuned pipe mount using the long bend MACS header. This arrangement put the pipe too far from the fuselage for my liking. Using the standard MACS header would force the pipe to be angled outward, also not to me liking. So I made a 3/8" header extension that I'll use with the standard header. This should allow for the pipe to be closer to the fuselage and parallel with the center line of the fuselage.

Since the header will be removed and reinstalled several times during the tuning process I made up a couple of temporary gaskets for the header and extension. Once the engine is finally installed in the model I'll use high temp silicone to seal things up.

I've also attached a dimensioned doodle PDF of the header extension in case anyone else needs to make one.

RG

Name:	Pn36980.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	1876930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47846.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1876931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv53579.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	1876932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr46726.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1876933  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Us53752.pdf (65.0 KB, 69 views)
Old 04-28-2013, 04:11 PM
R_G

From poking around various forum threads it seems that the optimum RPM for this engine for pattern use is in the 11,500 to 12,000 range with an 11x10 or 11x11 APC prop. I know some guys run 12" props on this engine, but I'd like to stay with an 11" prop just for the extra ground clearance. I'll be using Omega 10% fuel and an Enya #3 glow plug. I have several APC Sport & Pattern props to play with, both 11" & 12". Hopefully the 11x10 or 11x11 will give me the right numbers!

Spent some time today balancing props and I'm hoping that next weekend I'll be able to do some testing.

RG

Name:	Jh16560.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1876942   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80875.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1876943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14488.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1876944  
Old 04-28-2013, 05:50 PM
Roguedog

RG,

When one side of the the prop is heavier how to you balance it? Remove material from the face of te prop or froim the ends?

Old 04-29-2013, 08:24 AM
R_G

Bryan,

If the prop is badly out of balance I will start with 220 sandpaper and get it close by sanding the back side of the heavy blade. Once I'm close I switch to 400 sandpaper to sneak up on the final balance. If the prop is not too far out I can sometimes go straight to the 400. I always remove material from the back of the blade(bottom of the airfoil) to keep from changing the airfoil too much.

RG
Old 05-05-2013, 04:46 PM
R_G

Got a chance to run the engine this afternoon. I took it out to the club field for the tests and forgot my camera, so no photos today.

Just to get a baseline, I started out with the stock muffler with an 11x10 APC prop. That combination yielded 11,500 RPM on Omega 10% fuel & Enya #3 plug. I then went to the other exteme and switched to a 12x10 prop and the best it could do was 8500 RPM. The only props I tested were the APC Pattern Props. I decided to not bother with the APC Sport Props. From what I've read in other threads, the sport props seem to be out of the practical range for pattern use on this engine.

The pipe & header that I'm using is a Pre-tuned MACS Quiet Pipe set that I picked up a while back for a decent price on ebay. I've been told that the header for the pre-tuned set is actually about 1" too short for good pattern performance, so I wasn't expecting to have to cut the header much, if at all. With that in mind I located the pipe 1/2" from the header. That along with the 3/8" header extension effectively made the header 3/4" longer allowing for a 1/8" gap.

The first prop with the pipe attached was the 11x10 again and the RPM jumped to 14,000. I wasn't expecting a 2500 RPM increase, thought my tach was off! But at this RPM the engine seemed very strong with excellent throttle response and sounded very good. At the end of my testing I went back to this prop just to confirm the RPM and it was still at 14,000.

Next up was the 11x11 and it seemed happy at 11,500 RPM, also sounded good & seemed strong with excellent throttle response.

Next was the 12x9 and it had similar performance to the 11x11 at 11,000 RPM.

The last prop was a 12x10 and it made it to 9500 RPM. This was definitely not a good combination with the current length of header/pipe. The engine would not come off the pipe and return to an idle very well. Had to jockey the throttle quite a bit at the low end to get it back to idle speed. The header needs to be a bit longer for this prop.

From these tests it looks like the 11x11 and 12x9 props put the engine in the RPM range that I was looking for. For the extra ground clearance I'll be using the 11x11. I think the 11x10 at 14,000 RPM is a bit high for a long stroke engine, even though the O.S. manual says the .61SF can handle 17,000. I don't think the engine would last long at that speed.

RG
Old 05-05-2013, 07:51 PM
Jim Johns

Very nice detailed report, Ralph. If you don't mind telling us, what's the length from the exhaust flange of the engine to the rear of the diverging cone (forward most large diameter) on the pipe?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 05-06-2013, 06:52 AM
MTK

RG, FWIW,

With a little more stretched set-up we used to run 12x11, 12x12, 13x9 and as large as13x10 (around 10K) back in the day, on this engine and it's rear exhaust cousin. No pumps.

Ground clearance was built in of course and if yours just doesn't have enough, you don't have much choice but to use the smaller props..... Fuel milage really got so much better at lower rpm, many of us were using 12 oz tanks.

I heard of techniqueto determine how good the pipe setting for the load being turned was, in flight, and it works fairly well not just on 60's but 160's also: From a safe altitude and at full throttle, put the model in a shallow dive to unload the prop. If it goes rich and blubbers, pipe is long. If no change, pipe length is just right. If it picks up rpm and sounds lean, pipe is short
Old 05-06-2013, 02:32 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: MTK

RG, FWIW,

With a little more stretched set-up we used to run 12x11, 12x12, 13x9 and as large as13x10 (around 10K) back in the day, on this engine and it's rear exhaust cousin. No pumps.

Ground clearance was built in of course and if yours just doesn't have enough, you don't have much choice but to use the smaller props..... Fuel milage really got so much better at lower rpm, many of us were using 12 oz tanks.

I heard of technique to determine how good the pipe setting for the load being turned was, in flight, and it works fairly well not just on 60's but 160's also: From a safe altitude and at full throttle, put the model in a shallow dive to unload the prop. If it goes rich and blubbers, pipe is long. If no change, pipe length is just right. If it picks up rpm and sounds lean, pipe is short

Thanks Matt
Old 05-06-2013, 05:21 PM
R_G

ORIGINAL: Jim Johns

Very nice detailed report, Ralph. If you don't mind telling us, what's the length from the exhaust flange of the engine to the rear of the diverging cone (forward most large diameter) on the pipe?

Thanks,
Jim
Thanks Jim!

The length from the face of the exhaust opening on the crankcase to the "forward most large diameter" is 13 5/8". Add 15/16" to that to get to the center of the glow plug.

RG
Old 05-06-2013, 05:32 PM
R_G

ORIGINAL: MTK

RG, FWIW,

I heard of technique to determine how good the pipe setting for the load being turned was, in flight, and it works fairly well not just on 60's but 160's also: From a safe altitude and at full throttle, put the model in a shallow dive to unload the prop. If it goes rich and blubbers, pipe is long. If no change, pipe length is just right. If it picks up rpm and sounds lean, pipe is short
Thanks for the info Matt!

I will definitely give that in flight pipe test a try once this puppy is in the air. After running the engine yesterday I am more anxious than ever to get this UFO finished and flying.

RG
Old 05-14-2013, 04:17 PM
EscapeFlyer

Ralph!

Did you get anywhere with the UFO this weekend? Anymore Pictures???

Brian
Old 05-14-2013, 04:26 PM
R_G

Nothing this past weekend Brian. []

Right now the forecast for this coming weekend is for mid to upper 70's with a chance of rain. I'm hoping the rain will hold off long enough that I can shoot the clear coat. Fingers crossed!

RG
Old 05-14-2013, 04:38 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ralph,

I know you're the last person to risk it but if the weather is humid even if its not raining, be careful.

The last thing you want is for your CC to craze. Most critical stage of painting in my humble opinion (I'm not cool enough to write IMHO...)

David
Old 05-27-2013, 04:34 PM
R_G

Continued [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1900198]here[/link]!

RG
Old 08-13-2013, 01:48 PM
FLAPSDOWN

Hi Ralph,

I've really enjoyed your build. It's beautiful. I started the hobby in the 70's and competed with Dirty Birdies and UFO's when I was 13-15. My Dad flew reed and single channel in the 50's. We've never stopped building and flying and my Dad still get's out in his 80's.

I was as frustrated as anyone and I'm a reader not a poster. There have been a lot of improvements at RCU, all for the better. Your build thread looks in tact and all photos restored. There are 19 in pages 1 & 2 alone. Hopefully you'll come back from the dark side. I think the issues with RCG will catch up to you eventually.

Best Regards,

Bill

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.