Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 03:36 PM
hopkimf
My Feedback: (56)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

YMF 1/3 Barth

Continuing with fuse. The plan calls for a permanent attachment of lower wing center section to fuse. From a structures standpoint, I favor that. But access to inside is limited. Have any builders redesigned to allow removal to lower wing center section with a bolted joint connection? If not, are there any good workarounds for access? Looks like my fuel tank will be built-in and not removable.

Thanks,
Mike Hopkins

Waco Brotherhood # 132
Old 06-24-2013, 03:43 PM
WacoDream

Had a great maiden of the Waco in progress. She flys great at 13.5 lbs on 10S with 22X10 prop. Loops are nice and round. Nice tall hammerheads. Slow flight soft and stable Settles down just fine on landings. Really enjoying this and can't wait to fly the 33%.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40524.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1894807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49281.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	1894808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm22154.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	1894809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj19854.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	1894810  
Old 06-24-2013, 05:55 PM
tmac48

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

hopkimf, there is plenty of room to get at the fuel tank via the front cockpit. I got in there with a dremel and removed a lot of ply, however you can use round tanks if you are not comfortable with getting into the formers with a dremel,but I am confident that I have not sacrificed any structural integrity of the model. ( I can up-load a pic of my tank instal through the front cockpit if you want )
Regards tmac.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:09 PM
tmac48

WacoDream, looking at your photo's you do not need any advise from me re building models, very impressive. Regarding the fuselage panels I just studied a few pics that a fellow brother posted for me and what I could find on the WACO CLASSIC site. You will discover that the fuselage has some very strange curves and shapes to it that does not lend itself to using large panels especially on the top sections,I went with what looked as close to scale sections with deviations that made it easier to incorporate in the build. Hope this all makes sense

Regards tmac.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:20 PM
tmac48

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: aminiet

Waco dream.

I had an idea for a leak free installation you may want to try, Push 1/8'' fuel line tubing inside a 3/16'' aluminum tubing before bending the tube, cut in half any elbows,T's, and B nuts you need to use. Once the installatin is in place, bond the pieces together. Once every thing is painted, no one will notice any thing. ( not even our old judge )
There are some pictures of my waco in the early pages. the completed model is some where around pg, 500.

Angel
WB 58
Old judge????? OLD judge??????

Bill, Waco Brother #1

Stickbuilder you have been building models for over 64 years that must make you OLD.

Regards tmac.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:20 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: tmac48

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: aminiet

Waco dream.

I had an idea for a leak free installation you may want to try, Push 1/8'' fuel line tubing inside a 3/16'' aluminum tubing before bending the tube, cut in half any elbows,T's, and B nuts you need to use. Once the installatin is in place, bond the pieces together. Once every thing is painted, no one will notice any thing. ( not even our old judge )
There are some pictures of my waco in the early pages. the completed model is some where around pg, 500.

Angel
WB 58
Old judge????? OLD judge??????

Bill, Waco Brother #1

Stickbuilder you have been building models for over 64 years that must make you OLD.

Regards tmac.
Yabbut one does not need to be reminded of it......

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 06-25-2013, 01:59 AM
tmac48

Stickbuilder, I bet you have already forgotten what I said.

Regards tmac.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:28 AM
WacoDream

Thanks Tmac. I picked up a walk around photo CD and I'll check out Waco Classics website for panel details. Going to do the panels on a 1/5 scale Pica Waco I just inherited. It is a clean build and is already covered in Stits Lite. I've taken the ARF as far as I want to go and will go a bit further on the Pica. I ordered the perimeter and rib stitch tapes yesterday and will paint this one in my favorite N45BN scheme. For the panels I think I'll pencil them out on the fuselage then use tracing paper to capture the geometry and make my templates from there. Yours came out perect Tmac and I downloaded some of your photos which are also great reference.

BTWhow did you build the Aluminum nose cone? I know the Barth kit comes with a fiberglass one but yours looks great too. Did you spin it?

Name:	Tr49914.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	1894920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78396.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1894921  
Old 06-25-2013, 05:49 AM
tmac48

ORIGINAL: WacoDream

BTW how did you build the Aluminum nose cone? I know the Barth kit comes with a fiberglass one but yours looks great too. Did you spin it?

I had a fellow modeler who has a metal spinning business spin it for me.

tmac
Old 06-25-2013, 10:06 AM
FMBB

Hi Mike,

I have two tanks in my Waco both 1,5 liter both are accessible and removable from the fwd. cockpit. If you make the fwd. side doors behind the engine cowl also functioning you may be able to check your tank one and a while. Servos may be placed behind the cargo hatch and the receiver below the pilots seat. So there should be no access problem. In my Waco I placed the elevator servos just below the fin and the rudder servo below the cargo department leaving the cargo place for the receiver and the batteries (two NiFEs). So there is really no need to make the lower center section removable. It would be a cut out in the fuselage just below the cut out of the cockpit. If you will do so you have to add weight to reinforce the fuselage bottom to allow forces to be led threw this joint.

Peter
Old 06-25-2013, 10:13 AM
Jaybird

WacoDream,

What did you use for a tailwheel assembly? I missed that thread if you've showed it before. Please let me know the post numbers if you did or share more if you didn't.

I used the fiberglass front cockpit cover to make the luggage hatch door behind the rear cockpit. That seems to be the only thing missing from the fuselage details you've done so far. I also used it for the front cockpit door rather than drawing on lines. I did use the included hinge decals and it worked well.

I was going to cut through the handholds in the upper wing center section but opted for using black stick on covering in the shape of the handholds which gives a good illusion.

Post #15949 has pictures if you are interested.

Flew mine at another club open house this past Sunday and it got a lot of attention on the flight line and in the air. It is a lot of fun and handles well in gusty crosswinds too.

Jaybird

Old 06-25-2013, 10:38 AM
WacoDream

Jaybird I added the Dubro semi scale tail wheel (90 - 120 size) to the ARF. I cut a section out of the end of the fuselage and with generous expoxy secured it. I also screwed the two provided holes.

You have to carve a bit of the Rudder which is fine and then just recover to hide the brace etc

It works great. Where I fly the dirt field tears up the wire tail wheels so thought I would just be proactive. It looks a bit better. The scale wheel is a little different but for the ARF this was fine for now.

Nice work on your Waco!

Name:	Yw66882.jpg
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	1894975   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35587.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	1894976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92853.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	1894977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20221.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	1894978  
Old 06-25-2013, 10:57 AM
Jaybird

I thought that might be what it was. I had bought that same one for this ARF but couldn't come up with a good way to modify the tail. Thanks for the detail and information. I used the tailwheel on a Hangar 9 Katana instead of the included wire gear and it really works well. I did cut down the aluminum dome nut as it would dent the bottom of the rudder when the assembly would flex.

It certainly adds more character to the ARF rather than the wire gear. I'd have to do some retro fitting at this point but I may think about it.

Thanks for the compliments. Yours looks especially nice with the landing lights and landing gear braces as well as the fuselage panel fasteners.

Does you pilot slide down inside through the cockpit floor or do his legs depart for flying?

Happy flying!

Jaybird
Old 06-25-2013, 11:16 AM
WacoDream

Thanks Jay. Joe the Pilot slides in. He added 6 oz though so I haven't flown with him yet. Think I'll save him for the lighter PICA build. I checked out your post. Thanks for the share. Nice work there and the cargo door and wing details look great.

I'm wrapped up on the ARF for now and will turn my attention to the Pica build. The ARF served it's purpose of teaching me the airframe and trying some techniques and now I can apply that on the Pica 20% and Barth 33% builds ahead. I was contemplating recovering the ARF to get a fabric look but wanted to get flying so opted out. With the PICA already covered in Stits Lite I'm happy and looking forward to the rib stitch and perimeter / pinking tape project ahead. The Pica build is only 9lbs so I figure I can add some paint and still maintain nice flying characteristics.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:15 PM
hopkimf

ORIGINAL: FMBB

Hi Mike,

I have two tanks in my Waco both 1,5 liter both are accessible and removable from the fwd. cockpit. If you make the fwd. side doors behind the engine cowl also functioning you may be able to check your tank one and a while. Servos may be placed behind the cargo hatch and the receiver below the pilots seat. So there should be no access problem. In my Waco I placed the elevator servos just below the fin and the rudder servo below the cargo department leaving the cargo place for the receiver and the batteries (two NiFEs). So there is really no need to make the lower center section removable. It would be a cut out in the fuselage just below the cut out of the cockpit. If you will do so you have to add weight to reinforce the fuselage bottom to allow forces to be led threw this joint.

Peter
Thanks to you and Tmac for comments. I will forget abou ta removable wing center section. It's a bad idea and weakens the fuse quite a bit. I bought a BB Mastertank - 64oz - Gas - Rectangular and cut holes for it. if it won't clear, I'll get something else.

Mike Hopkins

Waco brotherhood # 132

Name:	Ge94850.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	1895013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15187.jpg
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	1895014  
Old 06-25-2013, 12:29 PM
hopkimf

ORIGINAL: hopkimf

ORIGINAL: FMBB

Hi Mike,

Peter
Thanks to you and Tmac for comments. I will forget abou ta removable wing center section. It's a bad idea and weakens the fuse quite a bit. I bought a BB Mastertank - 64oz - Gas - Rectangular and cut holes for it. if it won't clear, I'll get something else.

Mike Hopkins

Waco brotherhood # 132
Peter,

I mentioned in an earlier post that I should have reviewed the plans and parts more. Earlier I looked at the four spruce pieces that go on the front of fuse and noted they had a warp. I took most of it out before I realized it was supposed to be there. Had a hell of a time because when I built the sides, two pieces were wrong with a little warp remaining. I muscled it into place with the help of fine saw cuts part way in to inner sides. Final result is everything square from back to front with exception of first station at firewall. It
's about 1/8 inch out of square at top.

Mike Hopkins

Waco # 132
Old 06-26-2013, 05:53 PM
denny whitt

Hi guys. Great thread. Lots and lots of help here. Here's my Waco story.
During my early years of electric boat racing this fellah showed up at the pond and needed a lot of help with his gear. So I invited him over to the shop to help him set his boat up. Nice enough guy.Anything he ever used he would show up the next time with twice as much. Our friend ship grew over the years and spanned 6 kids and moves that put us 1000s of miles away.Still our friendship endured.
Eric became a trucker that brings him to Michigan every once in a while. In the mean time I switched from fast electric boat racing to my true love Rc airplanes. On one of Eric's stop overs we ventured to a famous hobby shop west of Detroit. As we walked in both of our eyes were drawn to the ceiling. Hanging there was this beautiful big plane with a big purple electric motor peaking out from under the cowel. We just kinda looked at each other and said Wow !!
Any ways are split up to commence our shopping. When I came back up front the plane was sitting on the counter. Eric, who has never flown a plane in his life said"guess you will have to teach me to fly"We got her torn down enough to fit her in the car.The next day my friend explained to me that his rout had changed and would be a long time before we would see each other again and the plain was a gift for me. Ends up its a 6th scale Waco Ymf 3 I think.
I would like to enter my friend Eric Johnson and myself Dennis Whitt as hopefull candidates and co owners of Waco number N1935B. Which will maiden tomorrow. Thanks
Old 06-26-2013, 10:03 PM
WacoDream

Welcome Denny!  Great story.  Good luck with the maiden! [8D]
Old 06-27-2013, 06:32 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, you Waco guys; paint me ignorant, but why are the front windscreen sections hinged? I mentally questioned that when I first saw this thread; went back and looked at an Aero Pac, by AirBorne Media, and lo and behold, they show that also.

Les
Old 06-27-2013, 07:29 AM
skylarkmk1

It's simple, the front screen is removable and folds for storage. Most have a canvas cover that snaps on for flying solo.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:29 AM
Stickbuilder

[quote]ORIGINAL: denny whitt

Hi guys. Great thread. Lots and lots of help here. Here's my Waco story.
During my early years of electric boat racing this fellah showed up at the pond and needed a lot of help with his gear. So I invited him over to the shop to help him set his boat up. Nice enough guy.Anything he ever used he would show up the next time with twice as much. Our friend ship grew over the years and spanned 6 kids and moves that put us 1000s of miles away.Still our friendship endured.
Eric became a trucker that brings him to Michigan every once in a while. In the mean time I switched from fast electric boat racing to my true love Rc airplanes. On one of Eric's stop overs we ventured to a famous hobby shop west of Detroit.

NEW BROTHER ALERT X 2

We have a pair of new Brothers.
Denny Whitt is Brother # 238
Eric Johnson is Brother # 239
Hope you enjoy the Brotherhood

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 06-27-2013, 11:30 AM
Stickbuilder

Okay, Here is the roster to date.

WACO BROTHERHOOD MEMBERSHIP:

#1 stickbuilder
#2 Hughes500
#3 Jim Henley
#4 mmattockx
#5 CTflyboy
#6 michaelj2k
#7 Ronj10
#8 gwulle
#9 jim schroer
#10 Skinny Bob
#11 Doug
#12 Pimmnz
#13 HarryJ
No. 14 Old Git
#15 ChrisMH
#16 Nerevar
#17 Ricatic
#18 Clay H.
#19 Tripp2Loo
#20 KHodges
#21 Bill Hogue (WACO One)
#22 Mangolo (Waldo)
#23 av8ter
#24 yel914 (Rick)
#25 damifino
#26 skylarkmk1
#27 Jacque
#28 Edwin
#29 AROPLANE
#30 WacoNut (Anthony)
#31 BQuartucy (Bob Q)
#32 AERORON
#33 funkymusic
#34 Live Wire (Larry)
#35 obo (Bob)
#36 Jackk36 (Jack)
#37 fatherrooster (Jim)
#38 Ilikebipes
#39 Kestrel0222
#40 CROWMAN17 (Marc)
#41 redcesar
#42 S. Christensen (Scott)
#43 Bill Deidrich
#44 Mike Barbee
#45 mrdhud (Dan Hudson)
#46 SoCalSal
#47 Todd (NightStalker)
#48 argon (Bob Gonzalez)
#49 mango 12 (Scott)
#50 skyjet 1
#51 ZIG
#52 Didg
#53 MarvinE255 (DOC)
#54 Joe Norris (Full Scale WACO Pilot)
#55 vasek
#56 SuperCub Man (Jim)
#57 Black Drape (Ron)
#58 aminiet (Angel Minet)
#59 Snowball
#60 doc zinger
#61 jagnweiner (Scott)
#62 Meesh (Bob)
#63 BigBoy99 (Bernie)
#64 stifts (Steve)
#65 RCWalker (Wallace)
#66 Mobyal
#67 lazyace
#68 bladerunner1955 (Don)
#69 trlambsr
#70 Big Bird (Ken)
#71 Tony V (Tony)
#72 red 1
#73 412t1 (Sean)
#74 Mr Lucky (Ben Warner)
#75 RICKSTUBBZ (Rick Stubblefield)
#76 ffdg (Fred)
#77 tomcraig
#78 Michou41a Michel
#79 Watzscale (Dick Watz)
#80 Devens
#81 msilvestro (Mark)
#82 Cheechukranch (Lewis)
#83 kruzin55 (Chris)
#84 lynchr (Ron)
#85 airplanegeek
#86 TexasSkyPilot
#87 Garthwood (Charles)
#88 RCBOATMANIAC (Dave)
#89 Thomas B
#90 George Werber
#91 frequent flyer (Don)
#92 adamiani Alex
#93 Kvlasblom
#94 geertdewit (Geert)
#95 Wobble Wing (Bud Halverson)
#96 Joe Gulik
#97 T.L.A.R.eng
#98 kurrikan
#99 Nathan King
#100 nine o nine (Mitch Epstein)
#101 dsquire (Don)
#102 Mr. WACO (Charlie Nelson)
#103 Ken Acosta
#104 denoferth (Dennis)
#105 germrb (Bob Germaine)
#106 J.D. Ramsay
#107 ccrebidoux (Chris)
#108 LarryN (Larry)
#109 X3heimmr (Marty Heim)
#110 Lou Melancon
#111 BEARMX (Barry Waters)
#112 Sir Crashalot (Bob J)
#113 RPSBLS (Bob)
#114 Squeakalong (No name given)
#115 Uminchu (Dave)
#116 Avaiojet (Charles)
#117 Mud Duck (Shaun)
#118 XTRA230 (Rob)
#119 3drc tim
#120 Cubman
#121 Ekim (Mike)
#122 tom czenthe (Mr. Tom)
#123 curt switzer (Mr. Curt)
#124 bbogart (Bruce)
#125 skypup50
#126 RCplanman
#127 froghair1
#128 lrayj (Lonnie)
#129 codiddley
#130 king arthur 1953 (Ron)
#131 sdstick06 (Shawn)
#132 hopkimf (Michael Hopkins)
#133 Cricklewood (Chris Kerrigan)
#134 montiu
#135 carbunkle
#136 Wolfinwisc
#137 mamoose124 (Mike)
#138 pbunster (Paul)
#139 Paul of the North (Paul)
#140 eagledancer (Todd Bixby)
#141 Cottco RC
#142 Neil K (Neil Kilchriste)
#143 Aerowoof
#144 Phlip (Phil Duncan)
#145 flyinjay (Mark)
#146 Cursor (Rick Allison)
#147 Teus
#148 Steve Percifield
#149 rootsgroup
#150 johnboy151A (John Shrick)
#151 georgewaldrop (George Waldrop)
#152 rkflyingboats (Bob)
#153 reyn3545 (Mike Reynolds)
#154 PanHeadAndy
#155 Amscat (Andy)
#156 Skipb (Skip)
#157 Dirtydingus (Jim)
#158 cdbarker (Carl Barker)
#159 TJDNC (Thomas Dugan)
#160 Gunner3 (Bob Faetsch)
#161 fishinchickens (Neil Abbot)
#162 pittsdriver (Don)
#163 rc wings (Marko)
#164 greybeardaviation
#165 tokpilot
#166 davivgeorge212 (David G)
#167 lanny haff
#168 Dick Pettit
#169 abergmann
#170 FMBB Peter Barth
#171 Redbiscuits (Gary)
#172 ross felix
#173 biplano (Oscar Aitken)
#174 RBACONS
#175 flightstick (Gary)
#176 Mark Wolf
#177 paulemv (Paul T. VanDenburgh)
#178 scubajohn
#179 jerry325i (Jerry)
#180 mogman (Dave)
#181 DRCRAIG (Craig
#182 JRM23 (John)
#183 jn4dflyer (Larry)
#184 acerc (Robert)
#185 Jstephen1h
#186 MormonMike
#187 Skillet92
#188 MinnFlyer (Mike B.)
#189 cocobear (Dave Johnson)
#190 AncientCityFlyer (Mike)
#191 Cannonball200 (Eddie)
#192 Bkyrdflyer (Jeff R)
#193 althepal88
#194 oppie
#195 kim seyler
#196 ceije
#197 Airboss 45
#198 lablover
#199 ZebraOne

#200 GEORGE QUINN (posthumous Brother)

#201 Tmac48
#202 wreck-em-rich (Richard)
#203 cherry629
#204 Errol Levin
#205 n6iap Jimm
#206 Jason Mansfield
#207 Ken Mansfield
#208 sevans16
#209 rccrasher65 George

#210 Claude McCullough (posthumous Brother)

#211 Blackwidow (Tom)
#212 Handyman220 (Paul)
#213 rone1948 (Ron Elliott)
#214 catflyer
#215 ma mulcahy (mike)
#216 wingstrut
#217 wed-subawu
#218 p40warhawk67 (Daniel)
#219 Dash7ATP (Joe)

#220 Carl Hammond (posthumous Brother)

#221 Lins
#222 RCjunky67
#223 Jaybird (Jay)
#224 peterduplessis (Peter)
#225 dadrivet
#226 Stevemyers (Steve Myers)
#227 Rainbow1
#228 jymster James
#229 VOX (Albert)

#231 BobH
#232 jhambright (JohnH)
#233 Chuck l (Chuck)
#234 lashbuick
#235 WacoDream (Mike)
#236 lovehydro
#237 DinoR
#238 Denny Whitt
#239 Eric Johnson
WACO Sisterhood Roster:

S-1 Janelle (Lady Stickbuilder)
S-2 Sissy Nightstalker
S-3 Barb Barbee
S-4 LadyMango (Lynda)
S-5 BUMBLE GEE BEE (Gabi)
S-6 Sue Watz
S-7 Joanie Allison (Lady Cursor)
S-8 Lady RCBOATMANIAC (Christine)

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Old 06-28-2013, 06:46 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"It's simple, the front screen is removable and folds for storage."

Thanks. That makes way too much sense:-)))))))))))))

Les
Old 06-29-2013, 04:30 PM
hopkimf

YMF 1/3 Barth (Old Kit) Incidence

I know this subject has been beaten to death in earlier posts, but once more on incidence. I'm building the fuse on Barth 1/3 and plan to modify it at horiz stab / vertical fin attach point. If I'm reading the plans correctly, it looks too light in this area. So I'm beefing up the structure that mounts the horiz stab and vertical fin.

Information I have is that the incidence for lower wing is zero, for upper minus one to minus two, and for stab plus two. For the stab, this matches what I've read about needing a down force on tail. But the part I do not understand is the zero incidence for lower and minus two for upper.

Can anyone explain to me the reason for this?

Thanks,

Mike Hopkins

Waco Brotherhood # 132
Old 06-30-2013, 08:49 AM
hopkimf

ORIGINAL: hopkimf

YMF 1/3 Barth (Old Kit) Incidence

I know this subject has been beaten to death in earlier posts, but once more on incidence. I'm building the fuse on Barth 1/3 and plan to modify it at horiz stab / vertical fin attach point. If I'm reading the plans correctly, it looks too light in this area. So I'm beefing up the structure that mounts the horiz stab and vertical fin.

Information I have is that the incidence for lower wing is zero, for upper minus one to minus two, and for stab plus two. For the stab, this matches what I've read about needing a down force on tail. But the part I do not understand is the zero incidence for lower and minus two for upper.

Can anyone explain to me the reason for this?

Thanks,

Mike Hopkins

Waco Brotherhood # 132
Need to respond to my own note. Above-the positive incidence of horiz stab means an up force, not down force. That means lifting tail. That's contrary to what i thought was customary. Now I'm really confused.

MH # 132

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.