Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Pratt & Whitney 1/5 scale radial engine for warbirds

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Pratt & Whitney 1/5 scale radial engine for warbirds

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 09:10 AM
Cooper
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pratt & Whitney 1/5 scale radial engine for warbirds

Good morning All,

I am very much looking forward to seeing this product. I suspect, like many small enterprises that they have had some of the customary hurdles to overcome. And, I personally believe that the prices quoted are a value for the money, assuming the engines are as advertised. I have seen far too many small business's fail for lack of making a profit. I encourage these folks to set a fair price, make a fair profit, and I for one would love one or more of these.

I think the owner might have been a little enthusiastic, but I appreciate the attempt to discuss the costs, and features of his products.

Respectfully,

Greg Anixter, Scottsdale, AZ
Old 06-25-2013, 05:26 PM
tech.knockout

Interesting. But like chickenhawk its now out of my price range.

I reckon there is a untapped market for general purpose 10-20HP V8 engine with electric start and dual adaptable to a propeller and standard centrifugal clutches; for UAV, moped, R/C or go kart purposes. Closest thing is a conley V8 but its only built as a tabletop engine.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:30 PM
davidgeorge212

These are pretty neat engines. The first time I saw the ad in the ama magazine, I thought these are probably made somewhere over in Germany. Then I happened to glance down at the bottom and saw that they are actually made not only here in America, but also right down the street from me. In Millbrook Alabama. That's pretty cool! Now I just wish I had 5 g's I could shell out to get me one .
Old 06-25-2013, 09:47 PM
okieloco48
My Feedback: (8)

Hi Guys
Well, it is getting close now. I will start assembling my R9 tomorrow with the latest revisions. We are thinking about making one more revision and that should be it. Although the R9 runs, we want to make it not only the best looking radial on the market but also one of the most powerful in it's class. At the moment we are reducing some of the crankcase volume to make a stronger fuel/air delivery to the cylinders. On another note, I got my 4 blade prop, for my Bearcat, the other day and it looks great. I love the ability to make minor or major changes in the pitch by simply removing the hub spinner. This will be a great asset to the individual modeler according to the weight and drag of his particular model. I will start adding some pics soon. Joe
Old 06-25-2013, 11:28 PM
jymster
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: okieloco48

Hi Guys
Well, it is getting close now. I will start assembling my R9 tomorrow with the latest revisions. We are thinking about making one more revision and that should be it. Although the R9 runs, we want to make it not only the best looking radial on the market but also one of the most powerful in it's class. At the moment we are reducing some of the crankcase volume to make a stronger fuel/air delivery to the cylinders. On another note, I got my 4 blade prop, for my Bearcat, the other day and it looks great. I love the ability to make minor or major changes in the pitch by simply removing the hub spinner. This will be a great asset to the individual modeler according to the weight and drag of his particular model. I will start adding some pics soon. Joe
Hi Joe,

I've been watching this thread with interest and thought I'd also add that not only looks and power are important, but the sound as well. That is something that Mokis have above many other radials on the market, they just sound great. They have a much deeper, throatier sound than say, the Evolution radials, so they sound more like the real thing. I am assuming it is something to do with the port size/volume? This is the downfall of the O.S. IL300 inline 4 cylinder, for example, in my opinion. It just runs like a sewing machine, and the rpm is way too high. Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful piece of engineering, but does it sound like a Gypsy or Cirrus engine? No way! If you guys can get the sound of your engines to be deep and throaty, like a real P&W, now that would be something. You also need to keep the rpm down as low as possible, for the same reason.

Just my two cents worth, please carry on!
Old 06-26-2013, 06:25 AM
okieloco48

Hi jymster
I couldn't agree with you more. The sound of a jet is awesome but can't compare with the sound of a big radial engine! Actually the sound that we all like so much comes from basically two things. One, the overlap or duration of the cam and two the compression ratio. The loping idle of a radial is caused by the intake cam lobe having a long duration and the reverb of the exhaust when the engine passes by you is caused by the engine having high compression at a low RPM. The R9 has a 6500 RPM rev limiter built into it's ignition. It has long duration and is fairly high compression and sounds great. When you hear nine cylinders as compared to 5 there is no comparison. We will have a video of it running soon. Later! Joe
Old 06-27-2013, 08:04 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice explanation. I'm very much looking forward to that video, and even more so, some video of flight testing, no matter what it is mounted on. It could be a flying stop sign for all I care.

Well maybe not that, but, you know what I mean.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:12 AM
okieloco48

Hi Guys
Something I didn't mention, concerning the sound of a radial engine, is a radial has a master connecting rod that runs of the center of the crankshaft journal. All the other connecting rods are attached to the master rod but do not run off the center of the crankshaft journal. This off center traversing of the other 8 rods makes for a slightly different firing position on the 360 degree rotation of the engine. In other words, all the cylinders do not fire exactly 40 degrees apart. A Harley Davidson's cylinders fires 60 degrees apart or 120, I am not sure but they are not firing simultaneously or directly opposed at 180 degrees. This is why a Harley has such an awesome sound both at idle and full throttle.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:20 PM
Authentic Scale

Hi Teck.Knockout,

We will cut off our V-12 Merlin (60 degrees bank, water-cooled) and do the V-8 with a new bklock at 90 degrees to mimic the H-S engines of WW1. It will have 200cc, syraight shaft. Then other gadgets will be added like starter,onboard generator, Supercharger, radiator. Not until 2015 as I need to clear the other radials, Boxers and Inline engine of the drawing table. But a conservative estimate is for about 7,5 HP/100cc, so we could see 15 HP or more for the V8-200cc
We also have the optional EFY system already suitable for 20-25cc cylinders (about 19-21 grams injectors).

ORIGINAL: tech.knockout

Interesting. But like chickenhawk its now out of my price range.

I reckon there is a untapped market for general purpose 10-20HP V8 engine with electric start and dual adaptable to a propeller and standard centrifugal clutches; for UAV, moped, R/C or go kart purposes. Closest thing is a conley V8 but its only built as a tabletop engine.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:39 PM
Authentic Scale

ORIGINAL: jymster

Hi Guys
Hi Joe,

I've been watching this thread with interest and thought I'd also add that not only looks and power are important, but the sound as well. That is something that Mokis have above many other radials on the market, they just sound great. They have a much deeper, throatier sound than say, the Evolution radials, so they sound more like the real thing. I am assuming it is something to do with the port size/volume? This is the downfall of the O.S. IL300 inline 4 cylinder, for example, in my opinion. It just runs like a sewing machine, and the rpm is way too high. Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful piece of engineering, but does it sound like a Gypsy or Cirrus engine? No way! If you guys can get the sound of your engines to be deep and throaty, like a real P&W, now that would be something. You also need to keep the rpm down as low as possible, for the same reason.

Hi Jymster,

Well, there is no replacement for displacement. That is the trick of Moki. With only 5 cylinders, even the 150 model is 30cc/cylinder. The other models even more. Seidel with 260cc and 7 cyl. it has 37cc per cylinder. BUT having only 5 cylinders, when the engine is or close to idle speed you can still hear the 2-Stroke high pitch sound due to the firing of the cylinders being to far apart. Joe is right, our engine being 9 cylinders, the firing is so close to each other it will sound much better. Our radial engines in 4 scales will have cylinders with 10cc, 21cc, 50cc and 100cc The Inline air-cooled 2 and 3 cylinders will use the 50cc and 100cc heads; the water-cooled Inline 6 and 4 will use 25cc cylinders (derived from the V-12 Merlin, now with its final dispalcement at 301cc, or 25cc per cylinder). The sound will get so much better, closer to the original, the bigger the cylinder displacement is. All the rest it helps, but there is no replacement for displacement. Our V-12 engine uses 25cc cylinders BUT it fires 2 cylinders at same time, like all our radials 14/18/28 cylinders (these will be made in 1/5 scale and probably 1/4 scale only except the 28 cylinders that will be made in 1/5 scale only). Harley's do have big pots.......you just can not beat that.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:40 PM
jymster
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Authentic Scale

ORIGINAL: jymster

Hi Guys
Hi Joe,

Hi Jymster,

Well, there is no replacement for displacement. That is the trick of Moki. With only 5 cylinders, even the 150 model is 30cc/cylinder. The other models even more. Seidel with 260cc and 7 cyl. it has 37cc per cylinder. BUT having only 5 cylinders, when the engine is or close to idle speed you can still hear the 2-Stroke high pitch sound due to the firing of the cylinders being to far apart. Joe is right, our engine being 9 cylinders, the firing is so close to each other it will sound much better. Our radial engines in 4 scales will have cylinders with 10cc, 21cc, 50cc and 100cc The Inline air-cooled 2 and 3 cylinders will use the 50cc and 100cc heads; the water-cooled Inline 6 and 4 will use 25cc cylinders (derived from the V-12 Merlin, now with its final dispalcement at 301cc, or 25cc per cylinder). The sound will get so much better, closer to the original, the bigger the cylinder displacement is. All the rest it helps, but there is no replacement for displacement. Our V-12 engine uses 25cc cylinders BUT it fires 2 cylinders at same time, like all our radials 14/18/28 cylinders (these will be made in 1/5 scale and probably 1/4 scale only except the 28 cylinders that will be made in 1/5 scale only). Harley's do have big pots.......you just can not beat that.

Yes, very true Antonio. Will keep watching with interest.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:40 AM
ltdive

I know this is not in the right place but does anyone know if SOLO PROPS is still going
I haven't been able to contact them
any help would be great
Old 07-09-2013, 06:35 PM
Authentic Scale

Hi Itdive,

You can try this: http://www.soloprops.com
Old 07-09-2013, 06:46 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: ltdive

I know this is not in the right place but does anyone know if SOLO PROPS is still going
I haven't been able to contact them
any help would be great
I heard that Wayne had gotten some new machinery and was having a bit of a fit getting it set up and producing.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:19 PM
ltdive

Thanks Antonio i have tried his website with no luck
Hi Ram i have sent 4 emails without any luck so far and their phone never answers
i really like their 4 blade props for my fury
guess i will keep trying
Old 08-08-2013, 02:57 AM
butlern
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any updates to share, Okieloco?

I'm not too far away geographically. I am interested in these engines, and I would love to see it in person.

Hope the testing remains on track.

Noah
Old 11-14-2013, 07:56 PM
john howard
My Feedback: (11)

Hi to all Interested In this engine
I was just Informed about this thread today and wanted to reply and give a little update.WE at Pegasus have been doing extensive testing and flights.As some of you have said It being a new design hurdles have been crossed and we do still have a few to get across.
Bob has designed a beautiful engine and David,Larry,William and myself have put In countless hours 7 days a week working to get everything worked out so the engine can be put on the market.The first test flights went well and gave US a lot to work with.Our first test airframe Is a carden 37% yak 54 and the weight Is 52lbs wet.The engine Is performing well.WE are looking to putting many test flights on the first engines and asses any Issues that may come up.
Looking forward to giving you more updates soon.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:37 PM
okieloco48

Hi Guys
I haven't been on the sight for a while. Things are winding down and the engine gets closer every day to being a final production design. I have invested quite a lot of time building what might be a first in the R/C engine industry, a dyno and test stand combination. The dyno will give very valuable information such as torque, RPM, horse power and thrust with various props. The dyno will allow test to be run and information gathered on such changes as small as changing the gap of the spark plugs. I have designed a hydraulic over mechanical resistance system that will allow the machine to derive all the horse power the engine is capable of producing as well as the RPM at which it does it. This dyno will work for the R9 as well as any gasoline or nitro engine of at least 20cc or 1.20 cu in. I will post pics at a later date. Joe
Old 11-15-2013, 10:30 AM
ram3500-RCU

Thank you for the updates. Looking forward to some specific performance reports.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:06 PM
john howard

ram3500-RCU we hope to have good performance results very soon.Engine will be back on the test stand Monday morning If not tomorrow.
I took the afternoon off to go fly some of my personal planes today and enjoyed a few hours of relaxing.
davidgeorge212 WE wish you lived closer to us here so you could get a close look and maybe see the engine running.
butlern take a trip down from Trussville and check out the shop,mabe WE will have the engine on the test stand or one of them ready to go to the field to test.Drop by any time for the nickel tour.
Anyone that will be In the area Is very welcome to come by and check our work and progress.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:49 PM
bentwings

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The ultimate plane would be a B-36 with 6 double rows P&W and 4 jets.

Along with this you will need a US Bank Unobtainium credit card.....haha
Old 11-16-2013, 10:23 PM
okieloco48

The B-36 sounds good but in a realistic sence, I would kinda like to build a B-25. I just don't know if I am still that ambitious, LOL! Maybe when we get the Twin Wasp 18 cylinder engines ready, it might spur my ambition. I am a real fan of the B-29. My Dad served on Tinian Island in the South Pacific with the 509th composite Group better known as the 509th First atomic Bombardment Squadron. I have looked at all the B-29s in his Army Aircore Anual since I was a kid. These B-29s were top secret during and after the war and were guarded 24/7. Later! Joe
Old 11-17-2013, 06:41 AM
spinnetti

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

As a commercial production its very impressive... I know what it takes to build something like this and its expensive - I bet there is not that much margin even at this price. That said, There are folks building full scale versions that are mind blowing. I've seen several in person and they are breathtaking. Theoretically, if you are a good machinist, you can get full scale and "save money", but in reality spend a couple thousand hours doing it. In the middle is this: http://modelenginenews.org/prod/r1830.html with a real working constant speed prop and 18cyls... You can get the key parts and make the rest! (no threat to the sales of this engine I'm sure given the skill required to do it!)
Old 11-17-2013, 08:05 AM
77chickenhawk

The plans that Antonio has for his radio actually, if I remember correctly came from this man on the website. I believe it is nitro planes that has built a all composite 1/5 scale b-25. The price for it is $2500. That would be a great foundation for two radio engines
Old 11-17-2013, 09:08 PM
john howard

Antonio was In the nitro engine market before he met David at an engine show a couple of years back.Not sure where he got his Idea for scale engines from exactly but He did say he had been going to a local flying field to learn to fly R/C planes and started asking lots of questions about scale everything.LOL
Bob Roach Is our designer for the engines were building.Very educated man and very knowledgeable of the pratt&whitney engines.We will be building the r2800 and the twin wasp also and not on our website the Gnome rotary 9 cilynder as well.There Is a Gnome close to where we are located so we can get detailed photos and all the measeurments needed.(Helps to know the head man at the air museum).
We have had one of the test engines on the stand the past few days,After breaking In new rings It had no problem swinging a bold 32/18.Not a lot of details I know but we still have some more testing to be done.
Also thought I would say there are a few videos of the engine floating around youtube.Not sure where any of them are but believe one Is titled Radial R9.A friend did a video with his cell phone of one of the first test flights.It didn't have the cowl on because we needed the access to do adjustments.Half or more of the test flights have been with the cowl so we could test heating and so far no problems with the proper cutouts for airflow.Thanks for all of the Interest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.