Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Pratt & Whitney 1/5 scale radial engine for warbirds

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Pratt & Whitney 1/5 scale radial engine for warbirds

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 05:59 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

A 32 X18 is what the Moki 250 swings, so this is very good. RPM,s? I'm hoping it is an alturnitive to the other radials for the same planes and it sounds like it will be Evolution went a different route making their engines larger than the Moki equivalents. Bad idea IMO.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:02 AM
ten-tenths

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone i see alot of intrest in the front half of the Pratt and Whitney R-2800 / 9 cylinder 1/5 scale engine at Pegasus/Authentic Scale ,Well for all patient enough to wait we have finally been able to get a few videos uploaded one being a test flight video. Engine built by Eddy and Larry flown by Eddy of course,and we cant forget Mr. Antonio for his very intense attention to detail , Mr.Bob our designer/engineer in Australia and bossman David doing most of the complex machining who i believe lives in the shop at this point of course joking .There have been a few changes, but we have been doing non stop testing ,long hours at the shop even the better halfs/Wives have brought dinners in support for our dilligent efforts to bring you fellow enthusiast a beautiful wonderful engine., the videos are public on youtube,, test flight pegasus 9 cylinder ,,9 cyl pegasus/authentic scale test,,pegasus 9 cyl on test stand ,,9 cyl radial at pegasus /authentic scale,,these 4 are all so far we will try to get more uploaded and for now i hope these will be a great joy to all fellow enthusiast have a wonderful day and please let us know what you think ..the guys at Pegasus .. Ten
Old 11-20-2013, 11:14 AM
ten-tenths

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeMrSxV80O4
Old 11-20-2013, 11:28 AM
ten-tenths

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMuePvoKV1A
Old 11-20-2013, 12:47 PM
77chickenhawk

Second video. That engine is tachine way too high in my opinion.. what is the RPM when you're flying by? That motor has enough power that I wouldn't swing it anymore than 3500 4000
Old 11-20-2013, 01:45 PM
ten-tenths

Yes it was high not sure of the rpm at pass,the videos a couple months old, Eddy believes it was around 4200 with the 32/10 prop still yet it was a wonderful test flight that day with no failures ,,yay . Im trying to get a few more videos uploaded ,have you viewed the videos on youtube? as i get new ones up loaded i will try to post the link,, also thank you 77chickenhawk you have a wonderful day ,,pegasus crew ,
Old 11-21-2013, 05:52 AM
ltdive

any news on the timeline i am about as far as i can go with my Sea Fury build without an engine as i need for getting CG and fuel and get electronics bay sorted out also will need it so i can modify the cowl to fit it as CJ one is about 1/2 inch too small
Old 12-01-2013, 09:24 AM
77chickenhawk

They posted another video of a flyby. It's only 20 seconds long but I was the first one to view it LOL Sounds like a RPMs are a little lower but I swear the engine is still renting too high. With the torque that motor has they could slow down the RPMs I'm sure about 1000. Also during the video they were commenting that it has plenty of power on the low and mid range. Because that's where the torque curve is. in my opinion.. and the engine is Reving too high. Past the power band. You can hear it when it flies by that it has exceeded it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=ffq5VkZ7ZaE

Last edited by 77chickenhawk; 12-01-2013 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 12-01-2013, 10:16 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Sure sounds sweet!!!
Old 12-01-2013, 06:26 PM
ram3500-RCU

Really good to see it in the air. Keep up the good work.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:31 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by 77chickenhawk
They posted another video of a flyby. It's only 20 seconds long but I was the first one to view it LOL Sounds like a RPMs are a little lower but I swear the engine is still renting too high. With the torque that motor has they could slow down the RPMs I'm sure about 1000. Also during the video they were commenting that it has plenty of power on the low and mid range. Because that's where the torque curve is. in my opinion.. and the engine is Reving too high. Past the power band. You can hear it when it flies by that it has exceeded it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=ffq5VkZ7ZaE
I Agree, up the pitch on that prop to drop the RPM 600 to 800 static and lets gets to listening to those cylinder pulseson the flyby's!
Old 12-01-2013, 06:43 PM
77chickenhawk

You didn't by chance have a radar gun with you to see how fast was going when it flew by in this last video? From the looks of it it looked like 100+ I'm kind of thinking once you raise the pitch your speed will possibly increase ...
Old 12-01-2013, 06:47 PM
john howard
My Feedback: (11)

Sorry we haven't posted In a few days we have been working with the engine long hours and testing.
Yes the rpm Is to high but man Is this thing pulling.We tested with the 3 blade 29/15 and It done well.The short vid was with a bold 32/18.After the flight we checked the static thrust at 53lbs.Again this airframe Is 52lbs wet and with the 2 blade It came off the runway at just over half throttle.WIll post updates again soon.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:37 PM
okieloco48
My Feedback: (8)

Hey Guys
Some of you are asking about the RPM and whether it is too high. The Guys at the factory only have a test stand and airplane to run the engine on. This gives good info on parts reliability and minor tuning but is incapable of giving accurate measurements on RPM curves, torque curves and thrust curves. For the last couple of months I have been developing a dyno to give accurate test results. I know of no model engine manufacturer that has such a devise. Most advertised horse power claims are estimated mathematically and are not true measurements of a sample engine or engines. Authentic Scale will dyno test several of each engine it produces. When we advertise a horse power rating, you can be assured it is derived from testing an actual example of the production engine and not estimated. Recommendations will be included in the Owner's Manuals as to what two blade props performs best as well as our 3 blade and 4 blade variable pitch props. Stats will be included to show the optimum RPM and prop pitch to acheive maximum horse power out put from the engine. Also the manual will list props (wood 2 blade) that perform the best.
I will have the dyno ready to test engines in the next couple of days. As testing progresses, I will update you Guys on the results. I will also post photos of the dyno omitting it's resistance head. The head is confidential to the company and can not be shown. The dyno is also capable of giving test results from individual props and will be shown in the photos with a prop on the engine. Later! Joe Product Design and Development- Authentic Scale
Old 12-09-2013, 07:25 PM
john howard

It has been wet and cold for the past week so the only running has been On the test/dyno stand.WE are planning to put one of the test engines back In the air on Wednesday to log flight time.Maybe will be able to log several flights on thursday also.The only 2 days that the weather Is going to be sort of good this week.Will post updates on run time and flight time In a few days.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	3.24 MB
ID:	1946310  
Old 12-09-2013, 09:25 PM
77chickenhawk

Well I hope you guys have your video camera nice and handy whenever that thing starts up :-) everybody here I'm sure feels the same as I do and can't get enough video take care and good luck with the testing
Old 12-12-2013, 12:30 AM
ram3500-RCU

Originally Posted by john howard
It has been wet and cold for the past week so the only running has been On the test/dyno stand.WE are planning to put one of the test engines back In the air on Wednesday to log flight time.Maybe will be able to log several flights on thursday also.The only 2 days that the weather Is going to be sort of good this week.Will post updates on run time and flight time In a few days.
Nice looking rig for testing.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:59 PM
john howard

Thanks ram It works very well and heavy as well you know.lol
Thought I would post an update.Took the airplane out and put a few flights on It this past week and the engine has been doing well.Did a couple of slow harriers to see how the engine would pull the heavy airframe and also a short hoover just to check the pull out power.We are pretty happy with the way the engine Is pulling.Haven't been able to get back to the field but we do have an engine on the test stand running to test long runs.Set It up with a power supply and large tank along with an hour meter.Don't have any of the other readings running because we are looking to get the hours of run time.
Ordered a new prop for the airplane to test(32/20) but again just haven't had the time from the shop to go test.Hopefully we can get out and fly It to see very soon.
We do have a video of one of the flights from last week up on youtube an will see if we can get a link uploaded to here.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:27 PM
ram3500-RCU

Thanks for the update.

What is your procedure for engine maintenance during this testing? How often do you remove the valve covers for lubing? Any other maintenance needed?
Old 12-23-2013, 10:53 PM
dadragon

that would be sweet in a 1/5 A-1 Skyraider it has a 12 1/2" cowl 120" wing.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:10 AM
authenticscale

Gary,

The RPM with Xoar 32x18 was 4,200

Antonio Silva

QUOTE=ram3500-RCU;11665223]A 32 X18 is what the Moki 250 swings, so this is very good. RPM,s? I'm hoping it is an alturnitive to the other radials for the same planes and it sounds like it will be Evolution went a different route making their engines larger than the Moki equivalents. Bad idea IMO.[/QUOTE]
Old 01-16-2014, 07:19 AM
authenticscale

Gary, There is no lubing needed. Each rocker arm has 2 sealed bearings. Nevertheless, to remove the valve covers, remove the M2x6 screws. As for the rest, within about 10 flights check for valve clearance. Use ashless NON-synthetic oil with 32:1 to complete the break-in and after switch to FULLY synthetic oil 40:1 (best is Klotz 198). Do not mess with the timing (30 degrees advance) and be sure to put a "T" on the fuel line to prevent flooding of the carburetor by the electric fuel pump. And if possible route the carburetor stack to receive fresh air (not from inside the cowling). Also try always to adjust the carburetor with the cowling closed if possible to avoid the difference of pressure when you close it after adjusting the carby (which everybody does). It enhances the carby performance/tuning.

Antonio
Old 01-16-2014, 08:01 AM
authenticscale

Originally Posted by spinnetti
As a commercial production its very impressive... I know what it takes to build something like this and its expensive - I bet there is not that much margin even at this price. That said, There are folks building full scale versions that are mind blowing. I've seen several in person and they are breathtaking. Theoretically, if you are a good machinist, you can get full scale and "save money", but in reality spend a couple thousand hours doing it. In the middle is this: http://modelenginenews.org/prod/r1830.html with a real working constant speed prop and 18cyls... You can get the key parts and make the rest! (no threat to the sales of this engine I'm sure given the skill required to do it!)
Hi Spinnetti,

The engine you see in the modelnews article you posted the link, it is 1/6 scale, 14 cylinder (2-row), gasoline P&W R1830. It was not meant for flying as you can see due to the big supercharger and electric starter and electric variable prop pitch (yes, in-flight variable). It was a basis for the current design of radials been offered for sale.
It was designed by my engineer Bob (my company Silva Technologies Inc. detains in exclusivity the patent and copyrights for manufacturing and sales) and the person in the photo is Ron whom cared to machine all parts and test the engine (he is a retired mechanical engineer). The engine is currently in England. A few engines were machine one of them owned by John in Utah. John and Bruce Satra (Satra engineering) are also my very close engineering consultants whom work with Bob in all my 4-Stroke gasoline engine line designs. They have been together for over 25 years now designing/engineering scale engines. You should see the Morton 5 and 7 (15cc and 21cc) they did (Bruce used to sells the parts and the ignition parts supplied by Roy Scholl).
As you say here, it is an expensive endeavor that requires a minimum CNC batch size otherwise the cost per unit is just too high. But with good control of inventory and using Bob's unique one-part-fits-all design, I can have an entire line of radials of the same scale from 7 to 18 cylinders using over 99% of the same parts and this is also unique in the model market. It requires though a good investor with capital to manufacture the required minimum batch size (100 engines) and this is what it has been illusive.......
Joseph Bishop is Authentic Scale (Silva Technologies Inc.) designated chief test engineer and he is located in Norman, OK. He is also becoming the chief technology officer (CTO) for all coming engines. By the end of January the first 3 Single piston engines drawings are ready for production, 17cc, 21cc, 25cc
Challenging times ahead, but with all things in place, I hope very rewarding as well.

Antonio
Old 01-17-2014, 04:58 PM
spinnetti

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by authenticscale
Hi Spinnetti,

The engine you see in the modelnews article you posted the link, it is 1/6 scale, 14 cylinder (2-row), gasoline P&W R1830. It was not meant for flying as you can see due to the big supercharger and electric starter and electric variable prop pitch (yes, in-flight variable). It was a basis for the current design of radials been offered for sale.
It was designed by my engineer Bob (my company Silva Technologies Inc. detains in exclusivity the patent and copyrights for manufacturing and sales) and the person in the photo is Ron whom cared to machine all parts and test the engine (he is a retired mechanical engineer). The engine is currently in England. A few engines were machine one of them owned by John in Utah. John and Bruce Satra (Satra engineering) are also my very close engineering consultants whom work with Bob in all my 4-Stroke gasoline engine line designs. They have been together for over 25 years now designing/engineering scale engines. You should see the Morton 5 and 7 (15cc and 21cc) they did (Bruce used to sells the parts and the ignition parts supplied by Roy Scholl).
As you say here, it is an expensive endeavor that requires a minimum CNC batch size otherwise the cost per unit is just too high. But with good control of inventory and using Bob's unique one-part-fits-all design, I can have an entire line of radials of the same scale from 7 to 18 cylinders using over 99% of the same parts and this is also unique in the model market. It requires though a good investor with capital to manufacture the required minimum batch size (100 engines) and this is what it has been illusive.......
Joseph Bishop is Authentic Scale (Silva Technologies Inc.) designated chief test engineer and he is located in Norman, OK. He is also becoming the chief technology officer (CTO) for all coming engines. By the end of January the first 3 Single piston engines drawings are ready for production, 17cc, 21cc, 25cc
Challenging times ahead, but with all things in place, I hope very rewarding as well.

Antonio
Ah, makes sense.... I know of most of those other guys, and go to the model engineering shows... I invested in CNC tools and like making scale landing gear, so that's my "thing", but like the engines too. I have plans for a radial that'll build eventually but probably won't fly it.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:17 AM
vatechguy3

Anything new on the testing front?

Tony

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.