Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Making Molds of Classic Pattern Plane Fuselages & Parts to Keep them Alive for all of us to Enjoy!

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Making Molds of Classic Pattern Plane Fuselages & Parts to Keep them Alive for all of us to Enjoy!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 03:41 PM
Pattern One
My Feedback: (73)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Making Molds of Classic Pattern Plane Fuselages & Parts to Keep them Alive for all of us to Enjoy!

Don,

My Mach 1 kit arrived today. Awesome! Your workmanship is first class. Looking forward to the Aurora 60. Anything new in the works?

Leo
Klasskotemo
NovaRossi Engines
B&D Retracts
Old 08-09-2013, 07:01 AM
frequent flyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been working everyday on orders and molds. I need to at least double the size of my shop and have been looking at building a larger one soon. I just finished the Aurora Mold yesterday and will start making the Aurora kits next week, I have quite a list of Aurora paid orders waiting for me to ship. I will ship as fast as possible for all of the guys that have pre ordered. Thanks for the Support everyone.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:50 AM
Timthetoolman1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're a workhorse Don!
Old 08-09-2013, 11:22 AM
mithrandir
My Feedback: (2)

the Pulsar was the first plane my dad and I ever flew that would do a KE loop... back in 1976 or so... with a Kraft 61!!!
Old 08-09-2013, 01:00 PM
mithrandir

I am thinking one of these might be in my future!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	herman314.jpg
Views:	772
Size:	554.4 KB
ID:	1906566  
Old 08-10-2013, 01:08 AM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been away from the Classic Pattern Site for some time. FF, is there a list, etc., of what you are making and selling?
Thanks,
Crank
Old 08-10-2013, 06:03 AM
gkaraolides

How about some pictures of the Aurora mold and fuses?
Old 08-10-2013, 12:02 PM
frequent flyer

Default New Aurora 60 Molds

Here is the new fuselage mold for the Aurora 60. I had already made the Chin cowl mold and some parts so I thought I'd show them again. The Chin cowl is made from an original part. I have not made the first fuse yet but will do one tomorrow and then I'll post the pictures of it. The Canopy for the Aurora 60 also shown.

Name:	AURORA-60.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	269.4 KB
ID:	1906744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aurorra chin cowls.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	842.4 KB
ID:	1906745   Click image for larger version

Name:	5-13-10 078.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	1906746   Click image for larger version

Name:	new 080.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	1906747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aurora 60 canopy.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	1906748  

Last edited by frequent flyer; 08-10-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:20 PM
gkaraolides

Can hardly wait for pics of the fuses!
Old 08-12-2013, 08:29 AM
mithrandir

I assume you are using epoxy for the fuselages and other composite parts?
Old 08-12-2013, 10:36 AM
frequent flyer

Originally Posted by mithrandir
I assume you are using epoxy for the fuselages and other composite parts?

Yes I use epoxy for everything.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:36 AM
frequent flyer

Originally Posted by crankpin
I have been away from the Classic Pattern Site for some time. FF, is there a list, etc., of what you are making and selling?
Thanks,
Crank
email me and I'll send you the list
Old 08-12-2013, 10:43 AM
frequent flyer

Default Aurora 60

I took a few pictures of the Aurora fuse, and some of it with the canopy and cowl taped into place. I made a 1/16" x 1/4" recessed area on the bottom so the the chin cowl fits into it nicely to flush out with the fuse. You can't really see it very well in the pictures. I also use Carbon Fiber tow in the nose and wing saddle area as I do on all my fuselages for strength in these areas.

Name:	AURORA-1-.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	1907253   Click image for larger version

Name:	AURORA-2 .jpg
Views:	219
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	1907254   Click image for larger version

Name:	AURORA-3.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	1907255   Click image for larger version

Name:	AURORA-4.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	1907256   Click image for larger version

Name:	AURORA-5.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	1907257   Click image for larger version

Name:	AURORA-6.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1907258   Click image for larger version

Name:	AURORA-7.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1907259   Click image for larger version

Name:	AURORA-8.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	1907260  

Click image for larger version

Name:	AURORA-9.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	1907261   Click image for larger version

Name:	AURORA-10.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	1907262   Click image for larger version

Name:	AURORA-11.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	1907263   Click image for larger version

Name:	AURORA-12.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1907264   Click image for larger version

Name:	AURORA-13.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1907265   Click image for larger version

Name:	AURORA-14.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	1907266   Click image for larger version

Name:	AURORA-15.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	1907267  
Old 08-12-2013, 12:01 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice work Don!

It's interesting to see how you handled the wing LE area on the fuse. The wing fillets look very good. I also wasn't sure how you might deal with the nose ring area given the wood version has a split ring consisting partly of the wood fuse and partly of the glass pan. Does the pan fit right behind the nose ring of the fuse where it's a little recessed?

Will you be cutting and selling the kit with formers or perhaps just some hand drawn templates for the FW and other formers? Could the fuse be built without a wing LE former (i.e., dowels) just using a block to anchor the wing down with a bolt? Is it stiff enough? Did you make any modifications to your original pan mold or is it the same pan that you made a couple of years ago?

Just throwing out some questions and thoughts in case others have some ideas on it as well.

David
Old 08-12-2013, 01:02 PM
frequent flyer

HI David

I went right off the original plan. The leading edge area of the fuselage where the wing fits into is very stiff and a small strip of ply can be epoxied inside and a couple of dowels in the leading edge of the wing would be very strong. A piece of ply is epoxied in the rear of fuse to bolt the rear of the wing on. Typically I do all of them that way.

The chin cowl is the original I have always sold that is right off the plan. It was made from an original that Chuck sent me.

The nose ring shape is also right off the plan and very strong as is. The cowl is simply sanded out to fit the bottom half round shape of the fuse and the sides fit right into the relief I made into the design of the fuse. You can also cut or sand off the lower half of the nose and use the cowl as is because I have made the lower half of the nose ring solid. So either way it works out. I've found that I sanded just a relief line across the the front lower half of the nose ring and the cowl in its original form can fit into the recess works nicely.

I am in the process of cutting templates for all of the kits for a firewall if I haven't already done so. Most all of the plans, original or ones that I have draw that come with each kit have templates for the firewalls. I can cut a 5 or 7 ply firewall for anyone that wants one.

I will draw a plan specific to my kit as I have done for most of the others already. I just takes time. I supply a copy of the original for now.

Last edited by frequent flyer; 08-14-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:36 PM
doxilia

Originally Posted by frequent flyer
Hi David

I went right off the original plan. The leading edge of the wing is very stiff and a small strip of ply can be glued inside and a couple of dowels in the leading edge of the wing would be very strong. A piece of ply is added in the rear of fuse to bolt the rear of the wing on. Typically I do all of them that way.
Great. That's the way I like to do them too. I like the insurance of two attachment points at the front and rear.

The chin cowl is the original I have always sold that is right off the plan. It was made from an original that Chuck sent me.
Good news!

The nose ring shape is also right off the plan and very strong as is. The cowl is simply sanded out to fit the bottom half
round shape of the fuse and the sides fit right into the relief I made into the design of the fuse.
The notch on the fuse bottom sides to allow the pan to mate will be very nice and allow a more seamless transition. My only concern is with the front end of the pan which originally is left with a small semi circular section intact to provide rigidity to its front end. If it is now sanded away to pass over the fuse nose ring, it might weaken as it is removed and installed every time when assembling the model. I'm thinking an easy solution might be to just sand/cut the fuse nose ring base off until the two parts mate. Alternatively, one can add some more glass and/or CF to the trimmed pan front to insure it remains hard and nick free.

I am in the process of cutting templates for all of the kits for a firewall if I haven't already done so. Most all of the plans, original or ones that I have draw that come with each kit have templates for the firewalls. I can cut a 5 or 7 ply firewall for anyone that wants one.
That will be helpful as the glass fuse FW's are typically quite different in shape from the wood fuse versions. On the Aurora this is particularly important as the glass fuse omits the original's HW beam mounts for the engine. The fact the fuse is hollow helps to install a regular radial engine mount for the de-facto YS (or OS RF) required power plant. I would be inclined to suggest making all the front end ply parts from 1/8" ply. The use of a 2 x 1/8" ply laminate FW allows a 1/8" ply (optionally lite ply) fuel tank floor to be notched into the rear portion of the FW at the front and into a 1/8" ply wing dowel sub-former at the rear. This makes the entire assembly very stiff for the nose retract.

If the tank was somehow mounted directly to the FW (using a cylindrical tank for example), the tank floor might not be needed but this assumes the fuse glass and FW area is stiff enough to simply support a 1/4" ply nose retract plate.

I will draw a plan specific to my kit as I have done for most of the others already. I just takes time. I supply a copy of the original for now.
Understood. It would be interesting to compare your glass fuse/pan Aurora to the version made by Phillips known as the PA-2 I believe. I think Paul has one of these fuses.

I look forward to seeing someone build one of these!

David
Old 08-12-2013, 05:11 PM

Don (frequent flyer), What do you use to color the molds red and black and also the green chin cowl coloring? Thanks.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:41 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I took a few pictures of the Aurora fuse, and some of it with the canopy and cowl taped into place. I made a 1/16" x 1/4" recessed area on the bottom so the the chin cowl fits into it nicely to flush out with the fuse. You can't really see it very well in the pictures. I also use Carbon Fiber tow in the nose and wing saddle area as I do on all my fuselages for strength in these areas.
Wow, that looks good.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:27 PM
hrrcflyer

Hey Don,

That Aurora fuse is just plain SEXY............. I just love the sleek lines of this plane and the Atlanta, along with the Blue Angel. Keep up the great work.

Take care,
David
Old 08-12-2013, 06:42 PM
frequent flyer

Originally Posted by 790
Don (frequent flyer), What do you use to color the molds red and black and also the green chin cowl coloring? Thanks.
The molds I make are the color, high temp extra hard tooling gel coat and alum powder.

The parts can be colored any color you add tint or pigment to the resin.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:17 AM
frequent flyer

Latest new product is the XLT Canopy/Deck. Mold just completed. Part is now available.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:10 PM
jquid

Hi Don,

Have you completed the Summit III kit yet?

Thanks,
-Jeff
Old 12-14-2013, 07:32 PM
frequent flyer

Hi Jeff

Not yet, I have a few ahead of it. Pre paid orders and regular orders are all ahead of the mold making of new ones. Possibly Jan 2014 I can get to it.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:15 PM
frequent flyer

David

If you reading, I saw you were discussing the Tipo's back on pg 11. I just got a large Tipo from Russ a couple of days ago to mold and he said it was a Hippo Tipo, it has a 69" wing and is about 5" longer than the 720 Tipo I have, however it doesn't have the pipe recess on the side as other Hipo 's that I've seen. Do you know if it can be a Surpass or did they make the Hippo with and without the pipe recess on the side?
Old 01-13-2014, 10:05 PM
doxilia

David

If you reading, I saw you were discussing the Tipo's back on pg 11. I just got a large Tipo from Russ a couple of days ago to mold and he said it was a Hippo Tipo, it has a 69" wing and is about 5" longer than the 720 Tipo I have, however it doesn't have the pipe recess on the side as other Hipo 's that I've seen. Do you know if it can be a Surpass or did they make the Hippo with and without the pipe recess on the side?
Hey Don,

some pictures would be interesting to see.

It is not a Surpass that's for sure. This was a smaller square model with longish moments designed for 4-stroke 90's and conventional gear. I think the specs were either 63" or 64" square - I think 63". The Hippo Tipo was the largest as far as I know but I am not familiar with the span. I am also unsure of the area but it was either 750 or 825 squares. I believe there was actually a fifth version known as the Tipo+ but I think Dick gave different names to the same model on occasion and the Tipo+ may actually also be the Hippo. I actually had this info at my finger tips about four years ago but it now escapes me.

In any case, at 69" span, it certainly sounds like an 800+ square bird. There are a couple of people I can think of who could shed more light on the matter with some pictures - one of them would be Dick Hanson himself.

I should add that Paul and Ralph asked Dick to tell the story of the Tipo's in what I think is the first NECPO newsletter. I don't have it handy but it should be up on the web site.

David

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.