Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
Traxxas Revo
51.56%
Team Losi Aftershock
9.38%
Savage X
39.06%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Whats the Toughest?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 09:20 PM
Woodmandan2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the Toughest?

Hey
What would be the toughest monster truck?
Dan =)
Old 08-11-2006, 09:42 PM
dgz69er

Default RE: Whats the Toughest?

Toughest in terms of what?
Old 08-11-2006, 09:45 PM
Woodmandan2

Dosn't break as easily strong, etc.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:50 PM
dgz69er

Almost every RC has a weak spot of some sort. The toughest truck I have heard anyone talk about is the CEN Nemesis 7.7, I would lean towards the aftershock *cause its the next truck I'm wanting*, but I also recently heard someone saying it breaks a fair amount too.

I certainly understand you wanting a truck that is tough. The problem is that with RC. Your gonna break stuff. So be prepared for it. Traxxas has every part available. Which is good. HPI seems to have a few more mechanical problems. I can't speak on losi too much being as I have never ran anything with the exception of the mini lst.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:36 AM
NITROHOLICS ANONYMOUS

Yeah, plus if you do break something on the Revo there is 100+ upgrade sites on the web.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:39 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the older Savage 25 were on the list, there'd be no question. Now with the X, HPI has made a few mistakes IMO, but an X with the old-style chassis plates would take it - hands down.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:12 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

I owned a Revo 2.5R before, and have a Savage X now. the X is tougher.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:48 AM
NITROHOLICS ANONYMOUS

But the X has more mechanical problems ive heard a lot
Old 08-13-2006, 05:23 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

like what? back your junk up.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:13 PM
Revo Eater

Savage X by far. Go to any race track that races MT's and look at what's running. LST's and Savage's.

Anyone who has owned a Revo and a Savage would be lying to say the Revo was tougher. It simply is not as tough as a Savage.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:46 PM
JQA3

i had a savage 25 and a revo 2.5 and i would go with the revo, put rpm a-arms and its just as tough as the x, i would never buy another savage again, like ben said too many mechanical problems, all happened wen i landed upside down on a 3 ft jump and cracked the engine mount and engine block too, sad cause it was 3foot going like 10mph on soft dirt, i did that going full speed with my revo and didnt break (upside down) thats my opinion and i had extreamly bad luck, i dont dislike savage but...
Old 08-13-2006, 06:52 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: JQA3
all happened wen i landed upside down on a 3 ft jump and cracked the engine mount and engine block too, sad cause it was 3foot going like 10mph on soft dirt
Go to the Savage forum and tell them that, because they don't believe me that the X in the X tvp's buckle because HPI PUT THEM THERE to prevent broken crankcases.

Anyway...IMO you can't go wrong with any of the trucks, but there are no more mechanical problems with the Savage X than there are with the Revo or LST
Old 08-13-2006, 08:37 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: JQA3

i had a savage 25 and a revo 2.5 and i would go with the revo, put rpm a-arms and its just as tough as the x, i would never buy another savage again, like ben said too many mechanical problems, all happened wen i landed upside down on a 3 ft jump and cracked the engine mount and engine block too, sad cause it was 3foot going like 10mph on soft dirt, i did that going full speed with my revo and didnt break (upside down) thats my opinion and i had extreamly bad luck, i dont dislike savage but...
My Savage 25 did the same thing. Landed upside down after a minor jump. Broke the motor mount and engine block. I was pissed cause my buddy was running a Revo that day and it survived much worse.
The Aftershock is basically a LST - the original and they have had their issues too.
But, as TBJ said, ALL mt's will break and have their own individual quirks.
What it basically comes down too is pick the one you like and go with it.
I guarantee that you'll not only break it you'll have a blast doing it.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:48 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

oops didnt mean to do that
Old 08-13-2006, 09:31 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

Revo eater, where the hell do you get your info?

What do people run at the track?

Revos, LST's, and truggies. People that run savages get owned on the track without any trouble
Old 08-13-2006, 10:12 PM
dgz69er

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

like what? back your junk up.
Poor differentials, a one way bearing that always gets messed up from the dirt that gets into it. An engine that will shake itself loose from its mount unless you loctite each screw EVERY time you take it out. You have to retune the engine about half way through the tank due to poor pressurization. A pipe that always falls out of the header. Shocks the blow fairly easily from any large jump. A throttle servo that is incredibly weak. Not to mention that unless you zip tie your bulkheads the arms that hold the A arms in will just fly out.

Yes the body on the savage X itself is tough. It is a very well designed truck, but seems to have a fair amount of mechanical problems. I would much rather replace suspension arms than reshimming my diffs.

Every rc vehicle has a weakness.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:16 PM
dgz69er

I just bought an aftershock today. I say get the aftershock. The thing is just awesome. At this point I should say. I'm still breaking it in, the motor is pretty damn strong. It starts very easily *compared to other pullstarts I have had in the past. It comes stock with a JR radio and servos. And the greatest idea ever *which is also on the lst2* The electronics are all in a water proof box. Along with the on/off switch being coverd by plastic. A great piece thus far.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:24 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: dgz69er

Poor differentials, a one way bearing that always gets messed up from the dirt that gets into it. An engine that will shake itself loose from its mount unless you loctite each screw EVERY time you take it out. You have to retune the engine about half way through the tank due to poor pressurization. A pipe that always falls out of the header. Shocks the blow fairly easily from any large jump. A throttle servo that is incredibly weak. Not to mention that unless you zip tie your bulkheads the arms that hold the A arms in will just fly out.

Yes the body on the savage X itself is tough. It is a very well designed truck, but seems to have a fair amount of mechanical problems. I would much rather replace suspension arms than reshimming my diffs.

Every rc vehicle has a weakness.
the differentials are fine. mine didn't let go until I had one too many hard landings with a Mach 427 and Moabs. and it was the internals of the diffs, not the ring and pinion.

Yes, unless you loctite it EVERY TIME you take it out it'll shake itself loose. guess what, THAT'S CALLED PART OF MAINTENANCE! you loctite screws EVERY time you put them back in, i don't know what plannet you're from.

I don't have to retune my engine through an entire day of running, neither the stocker or the M427.

I just check my hingepins at the half tank point-it prevents that from happening.

Yes, every truck has its weaknesses, but expect somebody to raise the BS flag when you say something so vague. I never shimmed my diffs, either
Old 08-13-2006, 10:39 PM
dgz69er

I never made the first comment, or atleast the one you are pointing out. I was just pointing out the mechanical issues that it has. Maybe they aren't the worst problems in the world, but their still problems. As for working on the truck, I love working on my trucks. I really enjoy it. I'm sure you know just as well as anyone else, That owning a nitro does require maintenance

It is a great truck. I'm not trying to be a dick or anything. Just trying to back the fact that it does have mechanical problems.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:24 AM
Woodmandan2

Ok...Bottom line is what truck would be better. I wan't you all to say the one truck and then explain why,
I'm just so confused...they are all about the same price aftershock...$400, Savy X...$444, Revo...$400, I wish i could get em all but me and my older bro only have the mony 4 1 And Which ones Can you run through mud? I was ticked off when i got a jato 4 my b-day and it said no mud!!!
Dan
Old 08-14-2006, 10:51 AM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

The point made by all of these posts is that no one truck is better for everyone. They all have +'s and -"s. your best bet is to decide what you want in an MT (4WD, 2 speed, reverse etc...) Figure out which of your options has everything you want. Then check your LHS and see which ones thay carry the most parts for, then pick the one you like best. they are all good options, all have weaknesses, adn will all break parts. I cannot speak for the Losi, but I have seen revo's and savages abused in horrible ways, and both seem very very tough.

All RC's will say no mud or water. It never stopped me. You just need to waterproof everything first. Just seal your RX with some balloons, silicone or plastidip your servos to help seal them a little better, and be sure your air filter is securely attached to your carb.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:02 PM
HerrSavage

Aside from putting in after-run oil after every time out, I have done ZERO maintenance to my Savage in like three months, or 20+ tank-fulls..(before that, the ONLY thing I've EVER had to do - aside from the expected 2 or 3 spur gears at the beginning, was the OWB about 3 months ago...) No, diff-shimming, no lock-titing, no NOTHING.. Unless you count brushing off dirt with an old paint brush maintenance.. And I've had some pretty hideos crashes too - especially on the lid after trying back-flips off the most ghetto ramp you can imagine(a flimsy chunk of plywood propped against a plastic bucket-full of gravel..) It even crashed so hard on its lid that the air-filter came off without my noticing for a few minutes.. Looked up under the body and there it was just sitting there - next to the bent up roll bar. Took the roll-bar off, muscled it back into shape, and that was that. That's why I like Savages - because they require so LITTLE maintenance. Just thrash the c r a p out of 'em and they keep on taking it..

The older Savages anyways..

Here's a vid that I would say about sums it up..:

http://www.highoctanehobbies.com/videos/

My favorite is Redneck Bashers 2..

And no offense to Revo drivers - Traxxas isn't so big in Germany, so I just don't know much about them.. They look cool though..
Old 08-14-2006, 11:51 PM
jneesy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you go to any track around here with a savage you'll be hard pressed to make it into the main

with that said the savage is a much tougher truck...stuctually....for bashing
Old 08-15-2006, 03:41 AM
Woodmandan2

I'm in China so i don't have Great access for parts for these things. I depend on Tower. That's why i want somthing tough. So i'm leaning toward a sav or aftershock. Dosn't an aftershock have a sealed radio box so u dont need to do any work to make it mud proof.
Dan
Old 08-15-2006, 04:07 AM
HerrSavage

In general I think it's safe to say that Savage parts are much more widely available - around the world..

You an English teacher by any chance??..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.