Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 12:02 PM
SMUGator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

ORIGINAL: timothy thompson

go to rcscale builder log in and go to brian taylor plans. there is a corsair build and close up pics of the flaps . Each section is run its own servo
Found it, thanks. Great build thread.

Tom
Old 03-31-2007, 12:07 PM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

man im off all this week from school spring break and every day is gonna be windy and cold or raining. Nlo luck for me
Old 03-31-2007, 02:05 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tim,

I didn't say you weren't wanted on this thread. I just think the post could of been avoided if you had read Cliff's post when he told us about the problem he was having with his flaps and because of it he made them stay in the retracted position. I have many of your pictures of the detail your adding and plan on following in your footsteps. Also I plan to use your canopy design. Sorry about the tounge thing.

Gibbs
Old 03-31-2007, 04:13 PM
timothy thompson

hey i didnt read that he had them fixed that would have made it easier huh? well i just got done setting up a t-rex for a friend , I iked how well it flew i bought it. now back to building the corsair after a quick flight in the garage. in michigan this week its the only place anyone will be flying unless you have a rc kite. no hard feelings lets keep this thread positive as its probably on e of the few that are/ we ALL SHOULD MEET SOMEWHERE TO FLY THIS SUMMER!
Old 03-31-2007, 04:15 PM
timothy thompson

hey i didnt read that he had them fixed that would have made it easier huh? well i just got done setting up a t-rex for a friend , I iked how well it flew i bought it. now back to building the corsair after a quick flight in the garage. in michigan this week its the only place anyone will be flying unless you have a rc kite. no hard feelings lets keep this thread positive as its probably on e of the few that are/ we ALL SHOULD MEET SOMEWHERE TO FLY THIS SUMMER!
REMEMBER TO DO INTERNET SEARCHES FOR MAUALS THATS HOW I FOUND ALL THE COCKPIT STUFF
Old 03-31-2007, 05:15 PM
NCIS

Peace!!!

Gibbs
Old 03-31-2007, 08:19 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Tim

The way I see it in this and outher threads the info that is usable is mind boggling a copla of my co workers is into trains and boats, bring there modling books to work and we swap for somthing to read and they have some neet things that can be used any ware. So what ever you post if it applys to " Modeling " bring it on , and the only dum question is the one we don't ask, but we still need an ansure.

bob t
Corsair Brotherhood #5
Old 03-31-2007, 10:32 PM
Putz Brother

CLIFF ADD ALITTLE DOWN TRIM ON ELEV AND USE THE FLAPS. IOF YOU ARE HAVING FLAP PROBLEMPS PM ME AND ILL CALL YOU AND HELKP YOU IM A SCALE MASTERS COMPETETOR SO I KNOW I CAN HELP YOU. bASICALLY YOU KNOW HOW TO FLY THATS EVIDENT TOO BAD YOU DONT LIVE IN MICHIGAN ID GET THAT BIRD DIALED IN FOR YA
HOW BAD IS THE DAMAGE SHOW PICS

TIM 989-7973645 CALL ME TONIGHT
You must know Brian "O Meara then. He's pretty short and a great flyier as well. I think he owns a Honda dealership as well.
He knows something about flaps, I think?
Old 03-31-2007, 11:11 PM
timothy thompson

how does that contribute to our thread. are you trolling? whaT DOES OWNING A CAR DEALERSHIP HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING

im a high school teacher and can afford this stuff due to a family tragedy. My wife broke her back after having a heavy box fell on her at a home improvement store. she sits on the computer all day so she lets me do this since she cant do other things any more.
i would trade all the planes and money for a normal life so please dont try and start stuff if you want to talk corsairs great if not get out
Old 03-31-2007, 11:23 PM
timothy thompson

i have met him he has a sea fury that is remarkable! he hand carved the prop himself but he isnt cliff ,the gentleman i was trying to help so if I misinterpreted your post please explain. I dont have all the money and sponsors to really compete to win but its all fun and a summer time hobby since im off all summer. I go to only a few events due to my wife and my job as a teacher.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:21 AM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Tim,

Sounds like a great opportunity to build..................and take pictures!

David
Corsair Brotherhood #3
Old 04-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Putz Brother

i have met him he has a sea fury that is remarkable! he hand carved the prop himself but he isnt cliff ,the gentleman i was trying to help so if I misinterpreted your post please explain. I dont have all the money and sponsors to really compete to win but its all fun and a summer time hobby since im off all summer. I go to only a few events due to my wife and my job as a teacher.
Sorry if I raised the hair on your back. Also sorry about your wifes and family troubles. It was intended to be an honest question. My firend where I live has built a couple of planes for Brian. Was just curious if you met him?
Corsair flaps are a B**ch to build I'm sure.!! But my opinion is. If you put a seperate servo on each flap, it will be tough to center them and make them operate in a proportional movent. Meaning they all have the same throw and centering.
What year did you participate in the Scale Masters? I may have been there. If I wasn't, I'm sure one of my friends was.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:47 PM
timothy thompson

use a match box to insure identical movement. I went 4 years ago with a ziroli B-25 still have the plane but converted to e power ofter an engine ojut. i landed ok but not fun
Old 04-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

Hey Guys, I just aquired a kit that is built and sheeted. Nothing to do but flaps and ailerons.

I have a chance to buy a F/G cowl but we don't know if it is the old F/G Specialties cowl or the new one. what's the difference?

Thanks,
Old 04-01-2007, 03:16 PM
splitzed

here are some pics of that new solo prop & hub very nice looking!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41741.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	654550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22597.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	654551   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95870.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	654552  
Old 04-01-2007, 03:43 PM
timothy thompson

OMG that is great im getting one now for sure!
Old 04-01-2007, 03:55 PM
NCIS

Question???

I'm about to do the sheeting on the tips and was wondering what the best glue is for the job. I don't like it when it sticks to quick and with all the areas to be glued I'm afraid of low spots due to hand pressure when holding it down until it sets. What do you guys's use? What are your methods of keeping pressure on the sheeting until it sets? Please respond so I can get sheeting. This is the first kit that everything is sheeted. Most of my kits only had the normal amount of sheeting and then the rest was open. Alot less areas to glue.

Thanks in advance!,

Gibbs
Old 04-01-2007, 04:16 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Weeell I'll offer my preferance and this only works if you have plenty of sand bags or in my case shot bags at 2 lbs ea. I use plain old elmers white glue no alfa stuff, a bead on everything you want glued position your sheeting and add the sand bags let it sit for at least 12 hrs befor remove the weights,, make sure you PRE FIT ypur sheeting.

I am sure there outher ways, but it has to work for you.

Bob T

Corsair Brotherhood #5
Old 04-01-2007, 04:22 PM
SMUGator

I do the same thing as Bob using TiteBond. I also wrap a piece of blue tape about every inch and a half around the edges to keep them down nice and snug.

Tom
Old 04-01-2007, 05:02 PM
cliff600
My Feedback: (3)

If you can use one of these SOLO 3 bladed props, why can't you get just a normal 3 bladed prop for the plane??

As far as the sheeting, I used rubber bands all the way around the wing where each rib is and tite bond glue
Old 04-01-2007, 06:10 PM
ctflyboy

NCIS,
I used elmers with rubber band and alot of T- PINS AND TAPE,weight
just my 2 cents thrown in.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:10 PM
asammut

splitzed, what is the diameter of your solo prop and the what engine are you using ?
cheers
andrew
Old 04-01-2007, 07:21 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Gibbs,

I used TiteBond II, stick pins, tape and plenty of weights. This was probably overkill on my part but a good looking wing.

Cliff,

I looked at Bolly's 3-blade prop but I chose the Solo Prop because it looked better, was available in a Corsair Profile and had "variable" pitch. Bolly makes a great prop, I have several of them but they only make one (1) 24" 3-blade prop and I wasn't sure that the pitch was right. For all of these reason I chose the Solo instead. I hope that helps a little.

David
Corsair Brothermood #3
Old 04-01-2007, 07:25 PM
NCIS

Another question???

I have used TiteBond on almost everything on this plane. I heard that if you put it on and let is sit so it's almost gooy you can heat it up with your heat gun and put down the sheeting and it's not as much mess with runs etc. It also dries pretty quick. Fact or fiction? Have any of you heard this?

Thanks for the advice,

Gibbs
Old 04-01-2007, 08:06 PM
cliff600

I have not heard that but I have heard the longer it takes to dry the stronger it becomes. I would just glue it up one night and let it sit until the next day. There is no need to get in a hurry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.