Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 02:55 PM
asammut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

ORIGINAL: Tomcat_104

Try this [link=http://www.bennettbuilt.com/page3.htm]Bennett[/link]! If they can't work with you I will.

David
thanks david, I was after an email for them, I have sent a fax but no response. Guess I will have to stay up late (my time) and make a phone call.
cheers
andrew
Old 05-14-2007, 03:46 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Andrew,

Sorry about that! I just ASSUMED their email address would be on the website. I just now looked and guess what, NO email address. If youdon't get ahold of them let me know and I'll call them for you. I have a BB Exhaust from my LHS that I just love. I'm disabled and home all day without much to do so I'd be honored to help if I can.

David
Old 05-14-2007, 03:58 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Asammut

The catalog I have gives a web site "www.bennettbuilt.com" phone and fax are the same (574) 277-0499. hope this helps. I have had great service from them. what is it you need maybe one of the guys or I can make a call or 2 for you and get it on its way

Bob T

Hay Tomcat

How are you doing on your bird haven't seen any pic
Old 05-14-2007, 04:20 PM
Tomcat_104

Bob,

I haven't done much lately and won't get to until mid June. It's my 25th anniversary on June 12th and the wife says I make too big of a mess to be working on it. I hate it when she's right! I'll get back to work soon and post some pics or everyone to see. Until then I'll just keep reading and learning.

David
Corsair Brotherhood #3
Old 05-14-2007, 08:04 PM
NCIS

cimara,

I should have the money from selling my Yak 54 tomorrow and then I am going to order the plans and accessories for the Don Smith 1/4 scale F4U-1 Corsair. Don sells the completely clear bubble canopy that is 16" long and a 14" diameter fiberglass cowling. I am going with the 3W 157cc twin for power at 17.8 hp. It swings a 30" by 12 pitch three bladed Solo propeller. I don't have to pay for the kit until October as thats when it will be done. I have to send them the plans after I look at them so they can cut the kit. I can't wait to see the plans, canopy, and cowling. When you said HUGE!!! you were right it is HUGE!!! Now I have to drive about 30 miles to be able to fly that big a plane. It's asphalt there so it will be easier on the retracts also. I'm not getting any bites on the Top Flite Giant Corsair and it has everything you need to complete it except radio gear, fiberglass, paint, and propeller. I reduced the price to $1375.00 from $1450.00 and still no bites. It even comes with Elite Forces Lt. Doc Miller full figure pilot and Zenoah G-62 with spring starter and mount. I don't get it everything is NIB. Well maybe it will sell eventually. []

Barry
Old 05-14-2007, 08:24 PM
cimara

Barry try selling every thing piecemeal. I know its a shame but they may bite if it wasnt such a huge investment right off the bat.I hope you dont have young kids especialy boys around your house because when I was 4 or 5 I would try to sit in a bird that big .Whos cutting the kit for you for the Don Smith Corsair?
Old 05-14-2007, 09:12 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Barry,

Winston is right...

The friend who taught me to fly my Nexstar told me that models are worth more pieced out than they are ready to fly.

I've got a 1/4 scale GP Patty Wagstaff Extra I've been trying to sell all together minus engine/rx/batteries with WingTote bag, extra cowl, extra carbon fiber gear, extra wheel pants etc. for about $900.00 worth of stuff new and I can't get any bites at $250.00...[]

So I'll be parting it out when I get my WildHare put together.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:30 PM
asammut

thanks guys, i will try and call him myself.
cheers
Old 05-15-2007, 12:37 PM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

more sanding and painting for me im starting pasnel lines and permant gluing of tail feathers pics soon as noone wants to see pics of unsanded red oxide primer
Old 05-15-2007, 01:10 PM
NCIS

Today,

I got the money for the Yak today so as soon as I ship it I'm ordering the plans,Canopy, Cowling, and Kit.

Gibbs
Old 05-16-2007, 01:56 PM
Tomcat_104

Hey guys, help me out here. I ordered a reduction drive from Mick Reeves and wondered what size of prop blades would be scale? I came up with 26.6667 inches, if I'm right I'll stick with my 28 inch blades since I didn't see a 27 inch option on their web site. Mick says he uses a 28 x 14 on his 1/3 Sopwith Pup and it has unlimited vertical. While I'm not interested in going vertical I just thought this was the further proof that I needed.

Help me out if you can.

David
Corsair Brotherhood #3
Old 05-16-2007, 06:50 PM
NCIS

$$$$$,

I'm gradually getting rid of the TF Giant Corsair equipment. I sold the retracts, air tank kit, Iron Bay sliding canopy/cockpit kit, Fiberglass Specialties detailed cowling, and radial engine. I put Doc Miller on ebay and haven't had a bid yet. Slowly now that I listened to yal Im selling it off. I still don't know why I can't get $250.00 for the Kit with an extra canopy in case they mess up the first one if they make it slide. I think it's over $25.00. Thanks for the advice.

Gibbs
Old 05-16-2007, 07:41 PM
cimara

David if i did the math right 26 inches is about right for a scale prop but i dont know if you will have the ground clearance with the robart retracts for a 28 inch prop
Old 05-16-2007, 09:09 PM
Tomcat_104

Winston,

That's a good thought. I never thought about ground clearance. I guess I'll have to wait until I'm a little farther along to find out. Thanks!

David
Corsair Brotherhood #3
Old 05-18-2007, 07:17 PM
NCIS

Hello,

I made a different choice as to who will cut my 1/4 Scale Corsair. Dino from Meister cuts most of Ziroli, Don Smith and a list of other designers kits. Precision Cut Kits doesn't cut the kit. They have Dino at Aero Accessories cut them and then they add the sheeting and straight stock. Dino is going to give me the complete kit with everything to finish the plane at a very reasonable price. He has the lazer already set up to cut the kit so he won't need my plans. I ordered the kit from him yesterday and should have it in 4 to 6 weeks. I ordered the plans and canopy from Don yesterday. I have to wait a few days for him to get in the cowlings so I can order it. After selling more of my TF stuff I ordered the 30" diameter Solo 3 bladed propeller with the Corsair blades painted flat black and then balanced by Carl Peters of NGH. The prop will be complete with spinner as seen in these pictures. I think if the 30" is right for this Corsair you guys are going to big with you props. That is unless your using 2 bladed propellers. Oh yeah I'm only the second one to order this kit and Dino doesn't think the other one was built yet. It was not to long ago because this is a new size kit and design but he thought the guy would be started on it by now. I included a picture of the 4 blade prop even if I'm not using it so you could see the blades profile.

Gibbs

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14346.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	686956   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98687.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	686957   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65688.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	686958  
Old 05-18-2007, 07:18 PM
NCIS

One wrong picture, OOPs. Here the 3 blade I ordered.

Gibbs

Name:	Nk28049.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	686960  
Old 05-21-2007, 10:29 PM
kochj

Hey ...NCIS

Perhaps you should start a build thread........
I may want to go in on that kit, but not until flyingseason is over......
I have 5-planes to finish and maiden yet... 3-are giant scale..
Will have time in winter though.... I am finishing my basement as well.....and the rest is spent with wife and 2-year old son...

I was wondering how far along the guy building the TF giant Corsair with the saito 450 radial is comming along????

I would love to see some video with that engine ripping a low level pass on the deck, at show speed!!

Justin
Old 05-22-2007, 06:44 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Hi Kochi

Ncis did start a thread for his 1/4 size I think it a don smith and could be the first one off those plans, I will be watching with interst as ncis does some vary fine work'

What 3 are you working on??

Bob T

Corsair Brotherhood #5
Old 05-22-2007, 02:45 PM
NCIS

Guy's,

Don shipped me the Plans on the 18th and the Canopy today. Dino at Aero Accessories/Meister is cutting the kit and I should have it in about 4 to 6 weeks. I'm wanting to sink my teeth into the 1/4 but I really should finish the 1/8 first. What are your thought's on the matter?

Thanks for any replies,

Gibbs
Old 05-22-2007, 02:53 PM
Tomcat_104

Gibbs,

Don's is a great plane, you'll really enjoy it. As for the 1/8th plane..........there is always something to learn just by doing it. I would think that would be a great help. I think you should build the 1/8th but build it quickly and good and then get to that BIG Corsair.

David
Corsair Brotherhood #3
Old 05-22-2007, 06:31 PM
cimara

Gibbs I would build the !/8 scale first it would give you time to perfect all the little details you will need to do on the big Corsair jmho
Old 05-22-2007, 06:52 PM
NCIS

Hello Everybody,

I decided to go with Sierra Giant Retracts for the Mains and Tail wheel. I'm going to power it with the 3W 200cc 20.0 HP engine swinging a 32 x 12 3 blade Solo prop. I have been getting a lot of people saying that this is a very hard plane to build off Don's Plans. I guess 2 other guy's bought the kits but both gave up when they got to the wing. They just couldn't handle the stress I guess from what I'm told and they had never built a Corsair before and one was fairly new at building. I don't know what he was thinking. I have never quit anything in my life and this is not going to be the first time either. I am going to build it my way and if it's different from the sequence that Don has it just will have to be. He wants the wing built in 4 sections. The wing tip panels , then 1/2 of the rest of the wing including 1/2 of the center section then the other side the same way. Then joining them in the center. I'm going to check his method out first and if it seems to be more difficult I might just do like on the TF Giant Kit and build the center section as one piece. Then the other two wing tip panels like the TF kits. I want the center to be less than 80" wide so I can transport it in a large van. Wing tubes align the tip panels on the way he is doing it so I don't see why I can't just move the tubes closer towards the center. I don't know how he is securing the tips to the center section yet. If I do get into a problem I have a friend that is a Master Scale Builder that builds his own designs and off plans as well. He builds for people and does numerous repairs just by looking at the way the plane was built even without plans. I think he will be a great asset for my build. Anyway enough rambling on about this how are everybodies Corsairs Comming along? I still love this thread and won't be putting anything on my build thread until I begin it. I'm still learning a lot here.

Thanks,

Gibbs
Old 05-22-2007, 06:54 PM
NCIS

I forgot here is the paint scheme I'm using on my big bird.

Gibbs

Name:	Lj21629.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	689650  
Old 05-22-2007, 07:41 PM
devens

I see you have upped the ante on the motor size NCIS. She should haul some .... I have been following along but have been side tracked on the assembly of my new Raptor Titan. I have still been aquiring componens for the Corsair and should be back on it soon. My G62 is a new design than the one that Bob has on his Corsair. Mine does not have the rear bell housing that stands the motor off from a mount. Mine comes with a flat plate to attach the the cranck case. There is the crank shaft sticking out the rear of the motor a couple of inches. I think I will need to use standoffs because the great planes motor mount be be in interference with the crank shaft.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:02 PM
cimara

Deven go here to get the mount that Bob has. its the 3rd item from th bottom of the page click on photo and it should look like the pick below http://www.chiefaircraft.com/cgi-bin...ah/Zenoah.html

Name:	Db84062.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	689697  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.