Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 05:12 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Dave_orcc

LOOKING GREAT but I would punch as meany lighting holles as you can in the tail group. In my build it eliminated all extra nose weight if you left the C/G as shown on the plan, the only problem was in my first build right at or just a instent befor tuchdown it wanted to snap to the left, so by choice I went for moving the C/G 5/8 fwd and had to add 2lbs 4 ozto get 3deg nose down.. I have a stans cowl That I will let go reasonable P. M. me if intersted, but in all honisty I would go with the new F/G/S cowl with open cowl flaps,I understand it is the same dia. as there old one but added cowl flaps and pnl, lines

lay out your gear doors befor glassing if you are going to use F/G doors make your molds etc. then glass

Cheers Bob T
Old 01-19-2006, 09:53 PM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave_ORCC

YOUR LOOKING REALLY GOOD

gEORGE
Old 01-20-2006, 11:11 AM
Dave_ORCC

Thanks Guys,

It's been a long road so far but, finally I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel

Currently fitting and sanding the flaps................ good grief...........what kinda engineer came up with SIX flap sections for one plane. Speaking of which, has anyone modified the set-up to incorporate two servos per wing half? I'm just not convinced that the connecting rods will be solid enough. I guess I'm a little concerned about slop between the flap sections. I'm considering driving the inboard and outboard flap section by their own servo and slaving the middle flap between the two. Any advice?

Also, what exactly is the "rudder mod"? Is it simply a difference in outline?

Yes, I am planning on lightening all the control surfaces at the tail, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Well, back to work!
Dave
Old 01-21-2006, 12:14 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dave_ORCC

Also, what exactly is the "rudder mod"? Is it simply a difference in outline?

Dave
Dave,
CorsairJock came up with it here is the link to his thread post #10
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_96.../tm.htm#964836

It's about a better profile but also a reinforced Rudder. When covered it really looks great. Look at mine with the light hitting it you can see the added detail.

Go to my gallery for the photo.

Pete
Old 01-21-2006, 01:17 PM
rt3232

Dave_orcc

On my first build I went right off of the plan and they worked great, the week spot was the ply hook up point for the servo rod.. so on this buildI used a arm from a plactic bellcrank, the outher thing I found was trying to get the hinge holes just right was a pain, so this time I made a drill jig out of a scrap piece of 2X4, this eliminated a lot of tinkering, and I still get a full 50deg's and I am using a Futaba 3305 servo on each side..

If your wing is not covered on the lower surface by all means read and see if corsairs jocks system will work for you it is slick. I felt you needed the room to get it in just right so I passed.

Chears Bob T
Old 01-24-2006, 09:19 PM
ctflyboy

Hi guys ,
Just checking in, got the compartment & door done that will house the charge jack & switch and valve. will be glassing the fuse in a day or so and when I get it done I'll be posting pics,

I do believe, that I can see light at the end of the tunnel owever, it's very dim[&o]
but, none the less it's light

George
Old 01-25-2006, 06:23 PM
rt3232

OK for an up date

The build is complete covered, pilot in place canopyglued down just weating for my decals custom as I chose to mimic bird 8 of VF-17 plus the fact that the black stuff in the kit does not show up on the insigina blue, They should be hear this week and will post pic's as soon as I get them installed..When Luke finishes the pylons for his F-2-G bild will try to p/u a set and add to this bird..

Bossman I know you are out there its time for some pic's

Cheers Bob T
Old 01-28-2006, 09:09 PM
ctflyboy

Hi Guys,
Well I was able to get the bottom half of the fuselage glassed this evening and if all goes well I 'm hoping to get the upper half tomorrow .

Hoping to be able to get some pics in tomorrow night.
George
Old 01-28-2006, 10:09 PM
cliff600

Hey guys I gotta get in this thread. I am working on mine I just glued F1 onto F2&2b so I am done for the night while the glue dries. I have a stupid question. This is my first kit (I shoulda started with an easier one) can anyone show me a pic of how much they sanded their wingtips? Mine are with the contour and angle of the wing, but it looks like I should sand them more. What retracts are you all using too? Man, I will have lots of questions here soon.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:10 PM
ctflyboy

Hi Cliff 600
There are alot of pics in the thread and there are a few that have pics with tips,I'll see if I can find them for you and send you a PM. Questions, well there are enough people here and about that can help you as far as retracts I'm using Robart.
George
Old 01-29-2006, 08:00 AM
cliff600

I found a tip pic back on about the fifth page late last night, looks like I gotta go back and sand some more. Building this plane has been fun, but there is certainly something to say for ARF's.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:56 AM
rt3232

Ok guys

My coment on ARF's is they have a placce, But will never replace the satisfaction and good feeling you get when youve completed a project, how ever it turns out, good or not so good

I have had both, and will take a build anytime

Cheers Bob T
Old 01-29-2006, 01:19 PM
nchrome

Cout me in on that too. I have a GS Corsair parcially built and even if it doesn't quite look scale for true scale builders thats OKAY it's for me. I realy enjoy building especialy the satisfaction of taking a lot of balsa and building something and watching it take off and fly close to the real thing. I too have had a couple of arfs but give me a set of plans and a truck load of balsa and wal-la you have a plane.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:12 PM
cliff600

I hope mine will take off and fly. Like I said this is only my second kit plane ever and my first this big and expensive once I get everything for it. I am very excited about it though. It will really be worth it once it breaks ground. I will put some pics on tonight and you guys can tell me what cha think soo far.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:02 PM
cliff600

ORIGINAL: cliff600

I hope mine will take off and fly. Like I said this is only my second kit plane ever and my first this big and expensive once I get everything for it. I am very excited about it though. It will really be worth it once it breaks ground. I will put some pics on tonight and you guys can tell me what cha think soo far.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67281.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	397981   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29550.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	397982   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79804.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	397983  
Old 01-30-2006, 12:24 AM
M_Callahan

Hi Guys, I got the retracts installed and working in my F4U today! I'm glad I remembered to put in the
air lines before I sheeted the wing and fuse.

Cutting out the ribs for the wheel wells was a pain(my fault). During the framing of the wing, I put some scrap wood
along the top and bottom edges of the 1st rib of the outer wing pannels, this was to give some extra surface to glue
the wing sheeting to. Well, thin Ca likes to wick everywhere, including in to the pre-cut part of the wing rib that gets removed
for the wheel well[:@] A little bit of work with the dremel tool and a cutting wheel and the wheel well is open and the wheel
fits.

I also got the wing tip blocks in place, planed and sanded to a nice shape. But after looking at Corsairjocks drawings of
the wing tip profiles, I may re-vist the tips with sanding block in hand to see if I can thin them down some more.

I was in a bit of a puzzle about what servos to use. Finally settled on Futaba 3010's on the flying surfaces and standards on
retract valve and throttle. I am also planning on using 2 1800mA 6.0V batteries (nicad) on seperate switch harneses.

I wish I had thought to take pic's as I went along but the build is going so quick I never thought about it, Started on Thanks-
giving weekend, just over 2 months into the build and she's almost done.

Mike
Old 01-30-2006, 01:53 PM
Dave_ORCC

Hi Gang,

Still here, still working on getting the flaps all worked out. I think I'm just gonna stick to the plans as far as linking them up is concerned. When I get them finalized I'll see how I feel but, the do seem to be quite rigid. Is it just me or is it a bit of a pain getting the linkage "rod" to not bind on anything? I've had to bend them a bit so there wasn't any interference, did anyone else experience this?

Just got the servos for the flaps. Went with Hitec digi's that way I can re-program them to operate slowly. I figured I didn't want to hit the flap switch and have them slap down in too much of a hurry.

I also ordered the F/G/S cowl with panel lines and open flaps, can't wait till it gets here.

2 more questions..........sorry guys, I just know that someone here will have an answer.

1- wheels.....I want some scale"ish" ones. Looking for options.
2- scheme............I think I'm gonna go with a RAF scheme. I've done some research (a while ago) and found some fair pictures of it but can't seem to find them now [] The scheme I want to go with is kind of a tan and olive (I think) camo. I can't even remember what squadron it is. I should really have written it down

Anyway, any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 01-30-2006, 06:31 PM
rt3232

Ok again guys

My complaint is HOW ABOUT SOME MORE pic's and I am realy not yelling.

Dave-orcc if you go to Dave Bronk's thread (1/5 & 1/8 corsairs If I only new then) ask him about your scheme, he is vary knowledgeable, he has been veary sick and if your not in a hurry I am sure he will help you.. need pic,s of that cowl also give us a dim of the dia, ware the flaps start, wheels are another thing and depends on your budget, The Sullivan Skylite is what I used and seem to handle the weight ok.

Cliff what we see looks great, I am sure if you have a problem or a new question take a pic and some of the realy good scale guys will respond...

Nc-crome

From what you say it is not to late to add some of the easy mods from corsairjocks thread particularlyadding the try stock to the in side of the fire wall at least from 3 to 9 oclock so you can round the firewall for better cooling..

Weather is still to bad to try to get some out side pic's So

Cheers
Old 02-01-2006, 08:46 PM
D Bronk

I`m hoping to see pics too .BOB sure want to see those outside pics, since your at the near completion stage ,Anyway, of showing us a video ,of your landing gear ,and doors working.???
Old 02-01-2006, 09:20 PM
ctflyboy

Gentleman,
Had a good night was able to completely finish glassing the fuselage,

I'll trim it up tomorrow evening & get a few pics in the thread
RT are you reading this?
George
Old 02-01-2006, 10:56 PM
nchrome

rt3232 I do plan on using quite a few of the suggestions on the universe. I have already put the lighting holes in the tail feathers. Just haven't done much here lately cause i've been working on an arc P-51 and would like to try to get it ready for this march for a mall how here in the QC. I'm also trying to get my P-38 done also for the same show. Al ready have two jugs for it and an A-26.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:17 PM
rt3232

Nchrome

I gota quess you must be single, to have that much time to build or else you have one great partner, It takes me 5 months to put a snap together T/F G/S kit that I call stand way off scale.

I still want to see some pic's, The weather man is saying clowdy clod and snow thru next monday so I will have to weight on my pic's

Cheers Bob T

Yes George I am reading I realy like seeing your progress and pic

With all the minor med going on in the family I will only be popping in and out for the next week.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:38 PM
nchrome

rt3232 I still haven't figured out how to post pictures on the unverse. I have some pictures but they have too many KB so be posted on the universe. I have been trying to get this solved but haven't yet will keep trying.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:24 PM
D Bronk

Use this, it`s priced right, and works good. Edit your pics., hold them ,and then export to a file .It will ask about size when you exort,,select 600 .. The pics. works out, to about 100kb.. I use this program, more, than my other photo editors.Play with it a bit, it`s pretty easy to use

http://www.picasa.com
Old 02-03-2006, 10:08 PM
rt3232

Nchrome

Try just one at a time till you figure it out, also if you are on a dial up server it willbe slooooow

Chers Bob t

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.