Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 05:25 PM
Lou Melancon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

A couple of years ago I contacted Claude McCullough about the Waco S3HD he had campaigned at Top Gun and the AMA Nats. He was good enough to send the original pencil drawings for me to copy. I scanned them then printed a working set for Claude. I also sent a disc with the plans on it, but he told me he had no use for computers.

The two shown below are part of a set that includes the ribs, fuse formers, detail of strut attachments, lower machine guns, and a front view of the spars. Richard Crapp of the UK also built this plane and had, at one time, the original molds for the cowl and wheel pants plus some forms for a couple of other parts.

These images scans of Claude McCulloughs original drawings. They are significantly reduced in size and are only intended to illustrate one of the most beautiful airplanes of all time.

Here is a photo of an S3HD:

Old 08-14-2008, 05:36 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All I can say is WOW! I'm impressed with that. How about a Brotherhood membership for you?

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 08-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Lou Melancon

Would love to have one Bill. Since I got the 1/5th Pica Waco down from the ceiling and started flying it the Waco bug has really bitten. I am thinking a Barth 1/4 scale might be in my near future. In the meantime I am really enjoying flying mine. The folks at the field are pretty amazed at how well it flies slowly. On landings it wants to glide forever. I think the Pica plan drawings show 2 degrees positive on elevator, 0 degrees on lower wing and plus 1 degree on top wing. Anyways mine is set up per plans and flies wonderfully.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:22 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lou, there is a big spread on the Waco S3HD in the current issue of Flight Journal.....a magnificent biplane. Thanks for the posts on it.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:28 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Lou, Are the line drawings of a different variant of the same plane you show a picture of? The tail of the profile drawing is for all purposes the same as a UPF tail, but the S3HD in the photo has a distinctly different leading edge shape, and the rudder also looks larger.

Mr. Lucky, I think I'd also like to get a copy of the sales sheet on NC14132. When I build another YMF, that's the color scheme I want to use, might as well just focus the entire build on that plane. You think I could get one without being a NWC member? Not that I don't like NWC or anything, but I'm already an AWC member.

What history can you give me on this SRE?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86702.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1011812  
Old 08-14-2008, 10:22 PM
skylarkmk1

Ken,

That is a 1939 Waco ARE, s/n 5080, with a Jacobs L-6 and was recently restored and a new AW Certificate issued in late 2007 and is registered to the EAA at Oshkosh. Contact the folks at the Popular Grove Airport in Ill. http://www.poplargroveairmotive.com/home.htm. where the picture was taken. From what I understand, Steve and Tina are great people to know and work with and they can probably put you in touch with the actual owner.

Waco Joe may also be able to put you in contact with the proper folks.

The drawings are for Claude's S3HD-A. The original, s/n 3954, (Cuban # 23) was sold to Cuba, flown by Captains Len Povey and St. Orta. It crashed shortly after arriving in Cuba and it was the only one made. It incorporated the YOC Custom Cabin tail design (a little different than a UPF), otherwise it was the same as the Waco WHD-A.

The photo is of the 1934 Waco S3HD, s/n 3814, N 14048 that belongs to Dick Jackson up in New Hamshire. It has a P & W R-985 engine.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:30 PM
khodges

I was more interested in its original history prior to restoration. Either way, I like the color scheme and if ever I build the type, that's what I'll paint it up as. Sid Morgan has plans for one, about the same size as the Sig ARF.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:07 AM
Mr. Lucky

ORIGINAL: khodges

Lou, Are the line drawings of a different variant of the same plane you show a picture of? The tail of the profile drawing is for all purposes the same as a UPF tail, but the S3HD in the photo has a distinctly different leading edge shape, and the rudder also looks larger.

Mr. Lucky, I think I'd also like to get a copy of the sales sheet on NC14132. When I build another YMF, that's the color scheme I want to use, might as well just focus the entire build on that plane. You think I could get one without being a NWC member? Not that I don't like NWC or anything, but I'm already an AWC member.

What history can you give me on this SRE?

Ken,
http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...um_inquiry.asp
This is the FAA N Number look up page. Only enter the numbers of the registration. NC is already a given. For this Waco you would simply enter 14132. Scroll down and you will find the registered owners name and address. You should write him with your intentions and ask him if he would mind you using his original Waco as a subject for your latest Waco build. Ask him if he would mind letting you have a copy of the original sales sheet.

The Waco SRE (1940)
In 1939 while Waco was pumping out UPF-7's for the CPTP, chief engineer A. Francis Arcier was busy designing a new Waco custom Cabin. He and Waco President Clayton Brukner wanted it to be the ultimate Cabin Waco. As soon as the first model "E" flew in late 1939, it was obvious Arcier had achieved his goal. The 1st E model was an ARE with a 330hp Jacobs L-6. The HRE used the 300hp Lycoming. But it was the SRE from April 1940 and powered by the P & W 985 Wasp Junior 450hp that became the star that they had hoped for. The SRE was named the Aristocrat and was an immediate hit. If you really like this (And I can not imagine anyone not liking it.) Here is a new Kit from Kit Cutters
http://www.kitcutters.com/Nov/NovWacoSRE.htm

It has a 69.5" wingspan

This kit was modeled after the beautiful Waco SRE owned by (No other than) Poplar Grove Airmotive.

HUM CHUCK JOHN! YOU HIT THIS ONE RIGHT ON THE HEAD!

Ben
Mr. Lucky
WB # 74
Old 08-15-2008, 05:07 AM
Stickbuilder

NEW BROTHER ALERT!!!!!!!!

Guys, Lou Melancon is the newest member of the Brotherhood. Lou is Brother # 110. Welcome Lou.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 08-15-2008, 10:33 AM
Lou Melancon

Thank you Bill, at all times I will try to make the Brotherhood proud.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:34 AM
kurrikan

hi stickbuilder and everybody.After all this time without news ,here i leave you some pics of my waco project.
Due a lot of hours of my work this project goes slowly[]

Name:	Xv63240.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1012036   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71847.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	1012037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38320.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1012038  
Old 08-15-2008, 01:42 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi Guys,
I am in a little bit of a pickle here, I was going to do my 1/4 scale with the paint scheme of 14081 but something has come up and I need to get the plane completed in a bit of a hurry and I am looking for a paint scheme that will be a bit easier(quicker) to apply. In other words no scallops on the wings. Anyone have any good suggestions?
I have another R/C project that I want to get started on in about a month, I will keep that one secret for now[8D]
Anthony
Old 08-15-2008, 01:50 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: Mr. Lucky

Here is a new Kit from Kit Cutters
that's the one I was referring to above. The plans are from Sid Morgan. Someone here (I think kvasblom) was building it, looked very nice. The full scale sure is a sharp plane, Aristocrat is the right name for it.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:05 PM
x3heimmr

Hey y'all,
has anyone got pics of a gasser engine that does not stick out of the cowl?
Thanks,
x3
Old 08-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Mr. Lucky

ORIGINAL: khodges

Here is a new Kit from Kit Cutters
that's the one I was referring to above. The plans are from Sid Morgan. Someone here (I think kvasblom) was building it, looked very nice. The full scale sure is a sharp plane, Aristocrat is the right name for it.

Hey All,

I had also sent the link for the Kit Cutters SRE to our drawings friend John and he was very interested in any information that he could get on the plans from Sid Morgan that Kit Cutters is using for this kit. John is also a modeler and it would be nice to return the favor to him if we could get a bunch of feedback on this particular set of plans and the SRE kit. How many of you guys have built this particular model from these plans?

Does anyone have a list of Waco models out there. It would be nice if someone could put together a list of Waco's, the models available, wingspan, designer, where to buy the drawings, and where to buy the pre-cut kits if there is someone presently cutting the parts. With most of the group all building scale and/or by scratch it would not need to include any ARF's.. To this group the term ARF is like saying the word shank on the golf coarse. LOL

I have been asked a number of times about this and would like to have a list for reference. I even saw this question on the National Waco Club forum. I think that many of the Waco owners would like to build a model that matches the Waco they own.

Ben
WB #74

Old 08-15-2008, 06:20 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: x3heimmr

Hey y'all,
has anyone got pics of a gasser engine that does not stick out of the cowl?
Thanks,
x3
The only parts of the G-26 that are outside the cowl are the spark plug, plug wire and exhaust outlet.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Name:	Ge96533.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1012205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77510.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1012206   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dj11387.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	1012207  
Old 08-15-2008, 07:35 PM
froghair1

You might want to check this site. I got my scheme here.http://www.nationalwacoclub.com/f3f5...3571%2001.html Just finished mine a few weeks ago, only four flights so far, I'm just a little nervous yet and its been kind of wet on my flying days.

Name:	Tr51428.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	1012260  
Old 08-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Live Wire

Kurrikan
It may take time but you enjoy it more when you have the finished plane. You see the time and energy put forth for your effort. and take pride in what you have done. Enjoy what you have ,and have many great times with your WACO.
Larry K
Old 08-15-2008, 08:23 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey All,

Does anyone have a list of Waco models out there. It would be nice if someone could put together a list of Waco's, the models available, wingspan, designer, where to buy the drawings, and where to buy the pre-cut kits if there is someone presently cutting the parts.......

Ben
WB #74
Ben, here is a link to a web site that is provided by one of the WACO brothers. To the best of my knowledge this is kept up by John Howard "skylarkmk1". But it answers some of your questions.

http://www.houseofmoy.com/waco/WACO_Plans_Sources.pdf
Old 08-15-2008, 09:25 PM
aminiet

Froghair.

That is the same color scheme I am doing, I am not sure, but looking at your picture looks like your cowling is painted black. The cowling on the Cuban Navy Wacos were painted blue, same as the color of the stripes of the flag on the rudder.

Angel
B 58
Old 08-15-2008, 10:33 PM
skylarkmk1

Anthony,

Waco UMF, NC 14031, the Pica subject plane is Navy Blue with Cream Trim and all the layout measurements can be found on the Paul Matt drawings. Currently this plane is owned by Alan Jackson in New Hampshire. He recently restored it to the original colors (Blue/Cream) but with out the name, eagle and triangle of the previous owner. Pictures are also on the NWC site (#24 thru 27)

P1 Photo found NWC site (# 27) of NC 14031 (they have it as a YMF but the cowl says UMF)

Or go with Waco UMF N 14041, Red, straight trim lines with checkerboard boarders, cowl bumps and side stripes . And did I mention it has a wheel pant on the tail whell as well (can be found on the NWC site F3/F5 album http://www.nationalwacoclub.com/f3f5album/ pictures 6 thru 14).

Name:	Nl30639.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	1012335  
Old 08-16-2008, 06:15 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

John,
Nice Try I think I will go with one that Ken sent me(Big_Bird) it is all white with straight insignia blue stripes. No tail wheel fairing as well. Looks pretty uch the same as his plane but blue instead of red.
I hope to start painting next weekend.
Anthony
Old 08-16-2008, 06:37 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Here is one for you Historians..

I fell in love with this HPF-7 (even though registered UPF-7) at first sight. But what is in this post is all I know about it.

FAA Registry
N-Number Inquiry Results

N29998 is Deregistered

Aircraft Description
Serial Number 5495 Type Registration Individual
Manufacturer Name WACO Certificate Issue Date None
Model UPF-7 Mode S Code 50615235
Year Manufacturer None Cancel Date 02/15/1991
Reason for Cancellation Exported Exported To FRANCE
-
Aircraft Registration prior to Deregistration

Name SALE REPORTED
Street NONE
City XXX State OKLAHOMA Zip Code 73125
County NOT FOUND
Country UNITED STATES

Name:	Pn36811.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	1012526  
Old 08-16-2008, 12:15 PM
RCBOATMANIAC

Man I can say onr thing for sure I hope that airplane is worth the price the person is going to pay for it. $581.67 plus the $40.00 for shipping & handling. I can see paying that much if it was coming with a radio and an engine, but just the plane its self. Shame for shame!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=011

Shoot for that price you can buy enough wood and everything else that is needed to build two complete 1/5 scale airplanes and probably still have wood left over.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:51 PM
Lou Melancon

Here is my 1/5th Waco in flight. Weighs 11lbs, power is provided by OS .91FX 2C beam mounted upright. Slimline made a muffler that exits straight down for me when I built the plane. Prop is a Bolly CF 16X 6 which is about 1" larger than the Zinger it had earlier. The CF Bolly is so stiff that the engine can turn it fine and it really has a lot more thrust than the wood 15X6.

I know a lot of folks are putting G-26s and other gassers on the plane and even using 1.60 CI 2 strokes but the .91FX is fine. The plane will easily loop from level flight and almost, but not quite hover. The 14 ounce tank gives about 12 minutes flight time. To get the CG in the right place a 2000Mah battery is mounted just below the engine inside the cowl.

I had overheating problems and the engine would quit in the air. Replumbing the fuel tank, cleaning out the carb, fiddling with the needles and changing fuel did not help. It would just quit in the air. The problem was cooling. With the cowl completely open air would get in but could not get out. Putting a plate in front of the cowl to limit the air coming in to and opening in front of the engine allows us to run very well without over heating. Here are the photos taken by Jerry Smith:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.