Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

HK Small Bolt Hydro same as HOTR

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

HK Small Bolt Hydro same as HOTR

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 01:53 PM
tmaxx445

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HK Small Bolt Hydro same as HOTR

ORIGINAL: tman52806

I still have my new boat for sale.
Who much do you want for it? Is it the complete boat, or just the hull?

thanks,
tmaxx445
Old 06-24-2010, 06:20 PM
tman52748
My Feedback: (1)

I pm'd you
Old 06-24-2010, 08:59 PM
Basstronics
My Feedback: (2)

Well tonight was the second run of the boat.

I have painted the hull orange. I sealed all bolts or thru hull components with silicone. However the boat still maintains its mystery leak?

Only thing I can think of is water is coming up the stuffing tube or around it. I did notice the joint there is very weak...

With the 1500 battery it submarined pretty bad. I wish I would of went with the 1300 mah battery now. 1500 is just to take and I cant put it sideways in the hull like I want. Simply to nose heavy.

Someone please figure out the mystery leak... Remember I siliconed up ALL my areas except that stuffing tube and the hatch...

Video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSjQ1ZvObCU[/youtube]
Old 06-25-2010, 12:11 AM
dhoyt7141

I 99%guaranteethe leak is the hatch.

edit: and what servo are you using?!?! if i turned that fast i'd flip!!!
Old 06-25-2010, 06:52 AM
Basstronics

traxxas 2080 41 Oz/In torque- its a waterproof servo

Its NOT the hatch. That I can promise. That thing was taped up drum tight.

I thought maybe a oring leak on the motor. I pressurized it with no leaks though...
Old 06-26-2010, 01:05 AM
carakter

Have you greased your flexshaft? All things being watertight, that's the only other spot where water will come in. You have to undo your strut, pull out the shaft and grease it well before stuffing itback in.

I also noticed that it's split into 2, this won't do for me. I put 4 drops of superglue on the shaft where the flexshaft seats into,re-inserted the flexshaft and let it dry for a few minutes - if that doesn't hold, I'll use epoxy next time.
I also noticed that the flexshaft is not soldered on the end where it inserts into the motor coupler. This will result in frayed ends in the long run - I soldered that part. Now it's (hopefully) sturdy enough to stand abuse.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:09 AM
Basstronics

Yes its one of those square ended deals... I dont like them. I intend to change it out to a wire drive soon. I greased it up well.

Its very easy to get it to tight or a bind on this system when you insert the brass into the strut. I had one, best way to cure it was to tap on the prop shaft with a hammer until it loosened up.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:31 AM
Pekka L

Heh... I Fried my stock motor with 4s and 30mm Octura...
But this was just good luck!

Now I installed small cheap Mystery 2627mm 4200kV outrunner to it and used it only with 1600mAh 2s 30C battery and it flies!
Works well even without water cooling and with 30mm prop!

With this very light combo this boat seems to "fly" better.. Hard to explain but it seems to be much better now with this setup!

Go ahead and try, these motors are cheap as dirt http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12829 :-)

I will try to install some simple cooling for the motor. My friend used that motor in his Mini Rio with 34mm Octura on 2s and it worked well :-)

Next I will try this http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12830

Old 06-27-2010, 08:53 AM
Basstronics

I have a similar motor in a 12.5" BBY Micro Partiot, it scoots.

The outrunner motors have a ton of torque.

I havent tried a different prop, yet.

I intend to buy an eagle tree w/gps this week. Its time to step up to the plate and know what my boats really are or are not doing.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:44 AM
carakter

@Pekka - what motor temps were you getting?
I am also contemplating on outrunners since some people are getting good results.
Will you be fabricating a motor mount cooling plate?
Show us a picture when you install one.
[8D]
Old 06-27-2010, 02:18 PM
Basstronics

Many people use a water cooling block from an ESC and just put holes into it.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:19 AM
Pekka L

I have one cooling block from my Jollymotor, but it is ~10mm thick and that causes some problems...
I'll try to find some suitable ~5mm copper, brass or aluminium tube and try if I can solder U shaped piece of that to some suitable metal plate that would go between motor and motor mount and cool the motor that way.
This is how my friend cooled the motor in his Mini Rio, and it didn't fry with 32/34mm props... But he didn't run long runs with it... Bit unstable
Old 07-06-2010, 04:03 PM
tman52748
My Feedback: (1)

I just listed my new HK Small Bolt in the rcuniverse classifieds. The boat is way too small for the mighty Mississippi River. This boat requires no chop or very minimum.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:11 AM
banzilla

Does anyone know how to reset the factory esc? I am not gettin full throttle, more like 25%, cant get past cavitation.
I never got to set throttle, and I have read elsewhere that some others have had same issue.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:30 PM
MaxTL

This boat looks really similiar to the one minicatracingusa sells.

So whats the verdict is this boat worth buying ?
Old 07-27-2010, 06:01 PM
Basstronics

I gotta get my new drive line here and in it.

I think it is. $110 for hull, motor, esc, hardware... I would change out the servo, drive shaft/flex/coupler to a wire drive.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:47 PM
dmoesch

New member here,read most of this thread.....Ijust bought one of these from HK, its on BK.This is my first real RCboat, and Ihave never ordered from them before, they say 10-14 days, just curious if anyone here has any experience with HKand backorders? Hoping to get this thing in 2-3 weeks....
Thanks!
Old 08-05-2010, 06:48 AM
nickster46

new member here also. After reading this thread I decided to buy a small bolt myself.
Within a week I got it shipping from Hongkong to the netherlands (I bought on ebay) but when I received it the ESC is dead.
I tried another ESC from my other boat (NQD arrow wind) and this works well. So I mailed the seller for a new ESC so I can use that one.
I also ordered a octura x432 prop as this prop was recommended a few pages ago.
Right now I am totally rebuilding the boat and seal all the holes with liquid gasket so I got as less as possible water inside the hull.
I greased the flex shaft and when I arrive home today I will install the substitute ESC with a 2s lipo 5000mah (3s lipo's are ordered).
Weak point of the drive line is the dog drive. the little allen bolt got broken very easily so I can't really get it tight. I need to improvise with strong glue or something else. will be no problem.
The hull looks good, it's nice painted and the shape is nice as well. I hope to have a lot of fun with and I hope it remaines in one piece. the pond I use is very big, actually, it is a lake. I hope I can post my test vid soon
Old 08-05-2010, 09:08 AM
dmoesch

Did you get a used one on ebay? Is it thru HK?
Curious on the esc connectors...sounds like I am gonna have to solder deans on the turnigy's Iordered with the boat?
I just hope Iam not waiting for 30-45days on this delivery.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:12 PM
carakter

nickster - Welcome to the thread!

Seems like you did your homework well on the boat huh!
I am a bit concerned with your stated lipo battery of choice though.
If it's not a typo then the 5000mah batts won't fit the small hull.
Maybe you we're thinking of the 3S 1800 mah?
The Turnigy Nano sounds good. . . . though it's on backorder (BK).
[8D]

Sounds like you overtightened the grub screw. Get a 1 size bigger tap (mm) and ream it out.
Also, now is the time to replace the screws with SS, if you can get them.
Be sure to put threadlock - medium strength.

I am still undecided on either the2 blade SS props from MiniCat Racing or the Octura's.
I already got the BL outrunner as Pekka recommended.
Still have to maiden the boat. Just have to round up my buddies.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:20 PM
carakter

What's your setup?

ORIGINAL: banzilla

Does anyone know how to reset the factory esc? I am not gettin full throttle, more like 25%, cant get past cavitation.
I never got to set throttle, and I have read elsewhere that some others have had same issue.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:38 AM
nickster46

ORIGINAL: carakter

nickster - Welcome to the thread!
Thank you for that!much appreciated.

Seems like you did your homework well on the boat huh!
I am a bit concerned with your stated lipo battery of choice though.
If it's not a typo then the 5000mah batts won't fit the small hull.

The battery I used is more like an temporary solution, I have a 2200mah 3s lipo ordered wich measures
105mm x 32mm x 25mm.
I decided to buy these because in this thread people recommended these.

Maybe you we're thinking of the 3S 1800 mah?
The Turnigy Nano sounds good. . . . though it's on backorder (BK).
[8D]

Sounds like you overtightened the grub screw. Get a 1 size bigger tap (mm) and ream it out.

yesterday I discovered that I used the wrong size of allen wrench(?) I discovered that it is an english size and I have got the right type.
It is not that the thread of the screw is screwed but the hole where you put in the tool to tighten it. So I got myself a pincer and tried to get the screw out of the dog drive but unfortunately I ruined the entire screw and now I can't get it out the hole. but the dog drive is still tight to the shaft for as long as it lasts. But I already ordered a new dog drive in case this one doesn't work.

Also, now is the time to replace the screws with SS, if you can get them.
Be sure to put threadlock - medium strength.

I have totally rebuild the boat yesterday. got all screws off and sealed them with liquid gasket and some hot glue.

I am still undecided on either the2 blade SS props from MiniCat Racing or the Octura's.
I already got the BL outrunner as Pekka recommended.
Still have to maiden the boat. Just have to round up my buddies.

As said my esc is dead so I used another esc from my NQDRigger. Link to the ESC
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/35A-35-Brushle...b194a58</span>
and yesterday I made the maiden run. But the boat doesn't go fast at all!!The boat makes me sh*t my pants laughing and it is really really slow. I gues maybe 10mp/h. It looks likes the ESC isn't collaborate with the motor. Even with a 2Slipo the speed must me better than this.
I asked the seller for a new ESC but he doesn't answer my emails. I just ordered this ESC http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT for my NQDrigger but I guess I will use it for my Small Bolt together with the stock 2604kv motor and the 3Slipo.

Does anyone have an idea why the small boat is that very very very slow at this moment?Is it the combination ESC/Motor/2S lipo?I guess the ESC is malfunctioning/not well programmed.
IAlso got myself a 4600kv outrunner from Mystery http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT in case one of my boats needs another motor.

I also greased my shaft with Robben teflon grease. I don't got any water inside the hull after a run. that was my biggest concern!

Old 08-09-2010, 01:47 AM
Yura

Hi all!

Here the copy of my review at the HK site. And it followed by solution about the water.

Cool boat!
It's my 1st boat, so I can't compare it to others.
Just impression: goes very fast, attracts.

Battery:
Tested 2200 3S (Zippy&Turnigy).
>10 min runtime almost always at full throttle.
As it mentioned it is tight. It cause a little problem to place such batteries and then close and seal the boat. A bit heavy.

Tested Turnigy 1800 3S - recommend. Best fit and normal runtime. It's lighter.

Tested 1500 3S. Normal. But 1800 better.

Servo worked out of the box and died after several moves.
Repaired it. Wiped out grease from the main gear on the potentiometer shaft and place it with a drop of CA. Also resolder wire on the servo motor.

Tested boat. All worked fine, but boat filled with water. >30-50ml. Servo was almost under water.

Next day test - normal, but also water. No matter how good I sealed it.
And on the next day after 4 packs run ESC died...

Died in hands, when i almost decided to go home.
So I had a chance to quickly disconnect battery.
Died ESC cause motor to heat up very quickly. Bad.
I repaired the ESC. It's very hard to desolder and to seal the repaired ESC.
I replaced 4 of 6 MOSFETs. (2 of 3 pairs died). I got this FETs from broken motherboards. Finally it's 3 different pairs in my ESC. Now work OK.

Also some lock pins at the shaft loosed.

Anyway good boat!

Old 08-09-2010, 01:49 AM
Yura

I also had the problem of water filling for about 10 runs.
It fills with water just as out of the box. No matter how good you seal the hatch. And it happened only during the run.
And now I find where water get into - it's a gap between metal shaft tube and aluminum shaft support (found special name for it STRUT) because inner diameter of shaft supportstrut is about 0.5mm more than tube.
It's easy to fix.
You unscrew prop, drive dog, strut and shaft from the motor side. Now you see that your shaft probably not greased at all.
You can grease it, if you think it must be greased. I'm not sure (!), but I have done this.
Now you can assemble it again but now put a shrink tube (or kind of resin tube) on the shaft tube and strut. Be careful with hot air if use shrink tube and don't forget to protect hull and other things when shrinking!
If you think, that shaft is greased with water you can seal this gap with hot glue gun. It's easy to try and don't need to disassemble at all. But seal it not completely. Leave a little hole for the water to get into this gap.
Now almost NO water!!!
A bit of water get into shaft from the strut slide bearings. Also grease if not very thick get out of the shaft and you can see drops of water and grease near the shaft tube end inside the boat. It's not good, but it's better than filling with water!
P.S. First you go to local shop for 3x3mm grab screws (screws supplied not good quality, but you can try to screw it again)
Old 08-09-2010, 02:35 AM
nickster46

I didn't have a problem with water coming inside the hull but as I said the ESC was dead (on arrival)so Iused another ESC but I guess it won't collaborate with my setup because the boat runs very very slow with it. So I don't know if there's water coming in at high speed runs.
But the shrink tube solution look like a well mod to me. I am going to put it on my shaft ass well.

Does anybody have an idea about my boat is running slow with the alternative ESC?or shouldn't this be a problem?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.