Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

*New Hanger 9 Pulse XT 60*

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

*New Hanger 9 Pulse XT 60*

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 09:12 AM
stumpy423

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *New Hanger 9 Pulse XT 60*

ORIGINAL: jamesc43

Stumpy423,

I had a OS 91 FX in my Pulses. To balance the airplane I had to move the battery to the receiver location and add about 3/4 of an ounce of lead to the tail. I've read the specs on the ASP 108 and it weighs significantly more than the OS 91 but doesn't put out quit ethe power of the OS 91. I think powerwise you should be OK. Just make sure you pull the power back during decending manuvers. The weight might be another issue. Definitely look at the the weight of that engine versus the Saitos or the OS engines.
just looked it up, the asp 108 is about 3.5 oz heavyer that the satio 125 so it will proberly need a bit of lead in the tail. i have boght the plane off my friend who had the satio 125 in it so most of the balencing has been done might just need the battery moving.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:25 AM
SkyPilot101

ORIGINAL: jamesc43

ORIGINAL: SkyPilot101

''Caution-Rant''........ Horizion, why in the world do you put out an airframe in which you KNOW the fusalage hatch is quazi secure at best, and not offer it as a replacement part without having to purchase the entire fusalage??????? All the other Pulse's in you line have a replacement hatch, but not the 60, Oh NoNo Way!!!!! Yea, I was stupid enough to loose mine, and it is my fault, but this is just plain BULL.......Period. I am getting tired of Hanger 9's shortcomings, I'd flip 'em the Bird if they could see me.

Skypilot,

I called H9 when I lost mine. They told me that the airframes are built in a jig to ensure quality control. Due to this jig building process, the hatches have to be built indivually to each plane. This means that the hatches are built as on offs and even if you coudl buy a hatch from someone, it may not fit your airframe. I would recommend making your own hatch from stick materials. I'm still not sure that the whole jig building process used by H9 ensures that all the airframes are of good quality if the hatches has to be built as one offs.

James
I find this answer to be very typical of what I've recieved from Horizon in the area of customer service. The rep's I have talked too don't seem to have a clue!
Jig build the fuss to assure accuracy, but it ends up so skewed, you need a hatch built to fit, and there all different.......gim'me a break!!!!
Old 08-09-2010, 05:30 PM
SkidMan
My Feedback: (17)

My Pulse XT 60 went down today due to what appears to be the bad installation of CA hinges in the ailerons (Who know which other hinges need to be checked/replaced/repaired - I will be paying close attention to all of them).

Fortunately the damage wasn't anywhere near as bad as it could have been.

Here is a link to more details and pictures: https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9921957/tm.htm

Paul
Old 08-09-2010, 09:30 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like you cannot trust the factory installation?

I would saw off all the surfaces and install Robart single points
Old 08-10-2010, 10:03 AM
SkidMan

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Looks like you cannot trust the factory installation?

I would saw off all the surfaces and install Robart single points

That's an interesting thought! I was just planning on installing new CAhinges (which work just fine if properly installed) but you've given me something to think about.

What is it that you prefer or like about the Robart single point hinges over CA hinges? Installing the Robarts is certainly easy enough once you get the proper spacing and alignment.

Paul

Old 08-10-2010, 11:21 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I tend to keep planes for a while and the CA hinges on the rudder seem to go after about 100 flights.

I usually replace them with the 1/8" Robarts

I've decided that the next ARF I put together is going to have Robarts from the beginning.

I just take a Razor saw and saw through the CA hinges then drill and install the Robarts

Over the years, I've seen, other people's, Robarts pull out due to lack of epoxy on the shank so I use plenty. I'm careful not to get epoxy on the hinge pin.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:46 PM
SkidMan

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I tend to keep planes for a while and the CA hinges on the rudder seem to go after about 100 flights.

I usually replace them with the 1/8" Robarts

I've decided that the next ARF I put together is going to have Robarts from the beginning.

I just take a Razor saw and saw through the CA hinges then drill and install the Robarts

Over the years, I've seen, other people's, Robarts pull out due to lack of epoxy on the shank so I use plenty. I'm careful not to get epoxy on the hinge pin.

Sounds like good advice. Thank you!

Old 08-14-2010, 01:53 AM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to change the tack here for a moment (sorry to barge in) ... with regards to the Pulse 60, I'm considering taking everything out of my 60 sized trainer and placing it into a Pulse 60 for my second plank once I'm 'happy' and over the old high wing trainer. I have been into heli's for 18-20 months now, and are really just looking for a good looking, cost effective sport plane to add another element to what it is that I get from this hobby.

Would you consider this a good option for a plane noob with a few hours flight? (and a LOT of sim time) I'm looking for a 'sport' plane that flies and looks like a real plane (I'll be inverting the motor), not a hard core 3D monster, just something to do basic rolls, inverted flight etc (got a 50 sized nitro heli should that old 3D bug bite)- I'll be looking to run my current ASP .61 2 stroke, basic 3003's servos etc at 6volts to maximize servo grunt.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:37 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only problem I see is that by inverting the engine, you will be placing the carb too far below the center line of the fuel tank. This can cause flooding and a poor running engine.

Bruce
Old 08-14-2010, 05:16 PM
SkidMan

ORIGINAL: kiwibob72

I'm going to change the tack here for a moment (sorry to barge in) ... with regards to the Pulse 60, I'm considering taking everything out of my 60 sized trainer and placing it into a Pulse 60 for my second plank once I'm 'happy' and over the old high wing trainer. I have been into heli's for 18-20 months now, and are really just looking for a good looking, cost effective sport plane to add another element to what it is that I get from this hobby.
I went from helis to a 46-sized trainer and then to the Pulse 60 XT and couldn't be happier.

I did mess around with a Slowstick and a Parkzone T-28 along the way. The Pulse flies really great at slower speeds and is nice and big which makes it easy to fly 3+ mistakes high ;-)

The wing coloration with the yellow w/ black stripes under the wings was also helpful for maintaining orientation.

When you first transition to the Pulse set up some dual rates and a bit of expo, get it up high and have some fun. Once you start building your confidence you can open the throttle and do all the basic aerobatics to your heart's content.

As a person who started with heli's myself I give it two-thumbs up.

Paul

Old 08-14-2010, 05:40 PM
sled

Kiwibob72:

I have a Saito 100 mounted inverted in my Pulse 60, with no flooding or poor running engine issues. I have 2 dozen flights on this great flying plane now & not 1 flame out or engine stumble. Max rpm is 9500 with a nice steady never quit yet 2200 low idle swinging a 14x8 prop. I did loop the carb intake line up over the engine mount, so fuel delivery is slightly up hill before it drops down to the carb. This set seems to have illminated the flooding concerns expressed by landeck. Up to this point the only real problem I've had with an inverted engine on the Pulse was getting the cowl to fit over the rocker covers without splitting the cowl. It seems no matter how large you make the cut out for the engine theres just not enough room to get the engine output shaft through the cowl opening & clear the engine. In the end I ended up removing the rocker covers & then gently squeezing the side of the cowl, it now just slips over the engine, re-install the covers & your good.

Since you are considering using a 61 2 stroke, hopefully you will not encounter and cowl fit up problems. You might want to review your servo choice for the Pulse. 3003's are great servos for there intended purpose. The Pulse does have some what large control surfaces, you can pull some serious G's with the Pulse (and you will .... ) I would be worried about blowback on the control surfaces over powering the servos. I used (should I dare to say with out starting a brand war) Hitec digital sport servos HS5485's and so far they have performed great.

The Pulse 60 is a great flying sport plane you can fly it hard & ring it out doing every manover you can think of, short of 3D. Or, you can throttle it back and its just as happy flying as a Sunday flyer.

sled
Old 08-14-2010, 06:52 PM
kiwibob72

Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback - it has now just confirmed which way I will go next!! - Once I manage to get a feel for this old 65" .61 trainer that is, as winter is thwarting me right now re getting it out for a 'maiden' (I swapped it for an old RC yacht that I had lying around - as at least it'll get me airborne and allow me to get the 'feel' for how a real plane flies, and if it crashes, I won't be so cut up as a result. The guys at the club think I got a good deal even being 2nd hand, and that she is in good nic/condition - despite being pig ugly).
Still, I will look to order the Pulse 60 over the next few weeks being as I'm not in a rush at the moment re lack of air time. I'll also look into getting a glow heater extension to re-locate the glow warmer plug connection point so I don't have to reach under the plane to hook the glow warmer up for starting (props can hurt!), and will take into account the fuel line trick you mentioned 'Sled' - sounds like a good idea and a good solution to something I had not considered! [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 08-14-2010, 06:56 PM
kiwibob72

ORIGINAL: sled

.........Since you are considering using a 61 2 stroke, hopefully you will not encounter and cowl fit up problems. You might want to review your servo choice for the Pulse. 3003's are great servos for there intended purpose. The Pulse does have some what large control surfaces, you can pull some serious G's with the Pulse (and you will .... ) I would be worried about blowback on the control surfaces over powering the servos. I used (should I dare to say with out starting a brand war) Hitec digital sport servos HS5485's and so far they have performed great..........
Thanks, on that basis I might look at using the same Ino-Lab 650's I have in my Raptor 50 heli for cyclic control, they have about 7+kg of force, are digital, "cost effective", fast, and being as I have not had a single glitch at all with them in a big ol' nitro heli in over 8 months of use, they should be sweet in the Pulse 60.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:55 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

We just took a Pulse XT 60 out this past weekend with a Saito 100 mounted on its side. The Pulse is a phenomenal flyer, the Saito 100 did anything we wanted it to at 1/2-throttle (no, we didn't want it to do 3-D), and what a great flying bird. I'm going to get one...

I'll remember the Robart 1/8"pin hinges, might just install them first, as this would be a flying favorite of mine and used a lot.

~ Jim ~
Old 09-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Reson7
My Feedback: (4)

Hey Guys, I just bought the Pulse XT 60 with a Saito 100 Golden Knight, I ahve so far only heard of one problem, that the hatch comes off in flight, other than that are there any other problems I should be aware of???
I have seen in the above posts that people mounted there Saito 100 on the side and inverted, but in the manual and pictures it shows it straight up, why do you guys do this???
I also have a grass field so will I need bigger wheels because of the 14x8 propeller?????
Thanks
Old 09-15-2010, 10:03 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Reverse your gear and get some Sig wheelpant mounts. You'll love your Pulse on grass...or anything. Use some velcro under the front of the hatch if you can make a little place for it to attach to. If the front doesn't come up, the hatch won't come off. Make sure the magnets are clean and setting against each other correctly. Until then, a simple rubber band does the trick, just behind the cowl.

Awesome plane.

~ Jim ~
Old 09-16-2010, 04:46 AM
gazzazh

HI,

I Have the same setup, and i can tell you that you are going to fall in love with this plane. The saito GN is just great. In my step, i went with the manual recommendations for the saito engine and installed it upright. Had no problems with the plane and the engine preforms great. As for the hatch it does come off, What i did was place some padd[youtube][/youtube]ing in the front the hatch to keep it in place... this seem to work fine for me. Some use velcro, others use rubber, just try the best method that suits you. One thing you should not neglect is measuring the C oF G. With the saito GN 100, i had to place the battery as far away from the tank as possible. And in its maiden flight the plane didn't need any trimming.

You can check the maiden fight at the below link
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x9Vk6NXmwU]Pulse 60 Maiden Flight [/link]
Enjoy your new plane ..
Old 09-16-2010, 07:20 AM
stumpy423

Am I mad for putting a asp 108 in a pulse 60?
Old 09-16-2010, 08:58 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: stumpy423

Yes! I have an OS .61 FX in mine and it flies great with very large loops, etc.

Bruce
Old 09-16-2010, 09:21 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Why,

Yes you are! Let us know how it goes!

~ Jim ~
Old 09-16-2010, 09:48 AM
SkidMan

I'm one of the many with a Saito FA-100 on my Pulse XT 60 (swinging a 15x6) and I can take off in just a few feet, and in a few feet more pull into a near vertical and accelerate as I climb.

The thing to be mindful of is with all that surface area (drag) the top speed of the plane is relatively low and in a dive or horizontal there is a diminishing return for just how fast it will go (my prop choice plays a role in this as well). This isn't a problem at all, it is just the nature of the beast. It is awesome to be able to just point the nose where I want to go and to not worry, at the beginning of the maneuver, if I will have enough energy to complete it. For example, I can enter a huge loop putt-putting along and as I climb into the vertical I just roll in some more power. Very fun!

Paul
Old 09-16-2010, 10:58 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

I don't remember the prop I have on the Saito 100, but last Sunday I pulled it vertical and let it coast to stop, then just before it was about to tumble over I re-applied the throttle and it climbed straight away again. You can't ask for better than that. I also pulled it straight up off the runway after about 5 or 10 feet, straight up 20 feet, rolled it over and flew it away. This plane does whatever you need it to do, and it's as tame as a kitten on approach.

We should, however, remember that kittens will bite you at times, mostly when you least expect it.....

SUPER combination. Planning on changing over the hinges to Robart pins this winter, as the plane appears to be a real keeper.

~ Jim ~
Old 09-16-2010, 02:04 PM
stumpy423

ORIGINAL: landeck

Yes! I have an OS .61 FX in mine and it flies great with very large loops, etc.

Bruce
Old 09-16-2010, 02:05 PM
stumpy423

ORIGINAL: TexasSkyPilot

Why,

Yes you are! Let us know how it goes!

~ Jim ~
Thanks. I will do.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:50 PM
Beej

Hi All,

My first post so I will try not to annoy you all with questions that have been asked many times over but I'm afraid this may fall into that category. My XT 60 and Saito 100 are arriving tomorrow - my first 4 cycle - I have been flying trainers/low wings on an OS 46 AX up until now. Seems to me from reading these forums I will be faced with a key decision pretty quickly and that's whether to mount the engine upright or inverted. I know this has been discussed a bit here but the consensus is far from clear to me. Any views you have would be enormously helpful. Also, stick with the CA hinges or slice them and replace with pins straight away? I have a lot of building experience from a long time in control line as well as building my previous RCs so a little minor surgery doesnt worry me, but is it worth it (XT is my first ARF as well) ??

Thanks. Really appreciate any views.

best

Beej

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.