Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

dead band setting

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 05:08 AM
singlechannel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dead band setting

Hi, I am thinking of buying a couple of futaba s9670 servos for a 2 metre pattern plane, as they are fast and powerfull. But I'm told I will need to reduce the dead band setting on these servos as they are intended for car use. Is this fairly straight forward and will my 14sg tx by any use in the matter.
Thanks
Old 11-20-2018, 07:18 AM
FUTABA-RC

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Easy as pie. See page 64 of the manual. Also, in general car servos will have tighter deadband and for airplane use you may want to increase the deadband slightly. Otherwise the servo can hunt/chatter at neutral. You can play with the adjustments to see what works best for you. The other cool thing with S.Bus servos is you can change the center point to get perfect alignment of the arm which eliminates the need for SubTrim which can mess up the symmetry of the surface throw.

https://futabausa.com/product-information/manuals/

You will need a servo "Y" and extra battery to program the S.Bus servos.

FWIW, I use and like the BLS173SVi servo in pattern planes. I know several Team Futaba guys using this servo.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:56 AM
singlechannel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks very much.
The ability to tighten the servo response up and then gently trim out the chatter will be ideal. Thanks also for the extra info. on changing the centre point. I allways felt vaguely uneasy about using subtrim to try to get the servo arm dead square.
It was much simpler, but not so accurate, in the days of analogue servos and ratchet trims.
Thanks again, my new pattern plane will be that much better due to your advice.