Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

What Aircraft are you installing your DLE20

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

What Aircraft are you installing your DLE20

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 05:08 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What Aircraft are you installing your DLE20

This is all we need. I knew it was just a matter of time...

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/28/us/mas...html?hpt=hp_t1
Old 10-01-2011, 10:40 AM
futura127
My Feedback: (57)

Well I maiden flight my Blue Nose H9 P51 this afternoon and it flew great. Motor is still rich but good power and I love these motors on H9 warbirds! Landing was sweet with half flaps, full flaps with down elevator mixed in was to much. I need to put in about half the down at full flap and it will be good to go. Can't wait to get back out there with it on Sunday and rip up the sky again.

Joe
Old 10-02-2011, 11:05 PM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear it all went well Joe ..... really keen to hear more about the set-up, flight performance, ground handling etc.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:23 AM
Strega1
My Feedback: (7)

Genteman,

I have made the jump to gas engines and recieved a DLE 20 gasser. I'm glad that I ran into this thread in hope that I can get advice and help on what kind of airframe to use it on.
I'm an ex Warbird Pylon Racer, Q500, Pattern and some scale modeler. I was using YS 4 strokes exclusvely but the 20/20 fuel is very expensive. i have a Swalow .90 airframe with a a YS .110 that I bought in RC Universe. I want to use the DLE 20 on this airframe but the firewall lokks too narrow and will need some re-inforcement on the firewall and landing gear area. I also have a Carl Goldberg .60 size Staudacher that is built but not covered. It looks like the firewal will need to be reinforced and the landing gear area, also.

Does any one have this combo or similiar? I need help and advice on both airframes. The DLE 20 is heavier than the 4 strkes I was planning on using. All help and photos will be appreciated and needed. Talk to you soon.

Ben Cubillosl
Old 10-06-2011, 01:08 AM
LonnieMcc

Hey guys,

I was doing a search on the DLE 20 and hit on this post. Although I have not had the chance to read and see all the different airframes chosen for this engine, I thought I would ask the following.

I have a CG Super Chipmunk that I started building and had planned on putting a .91 4S in it, but since this engine has been out, I have been leaning toward putting the DLE 20 in it.

Do you guys think this would be a good choice or overkill?

Thanks,
Lonnie
Old 10-06-2011, 04:24 PM
scaleman57
My Feedback: (23)

My DLE 20 is a great power plant I put it in an EasyTiger Piper Pawnee, was not sure if I would have enough powerbut man am I happy I did.This 95 inch span 17 pound big bird was off the ground in less than 100 feetand climed out withauthority.I flew for about 15 minutes and landed the fuel tank was3 quaters full still. My next 2 airplanes are going to be the new Stinson from ESM that will get a DLE30.THen a Kangke Howard DGA ,pretty big airplane dont know what power is going to be,any one have a suggestion DLE does not have a 40 unfortunaly.Dont want theSPE43 you have to hack the firewall to fit the muffler.So please give me your thoughts.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

I know this is (kinda) an old post, but how did the Chippy fly with the DLE-20? I have the same engine waiting for a home, and that same plane in the box waiting to be built...

Thanks,
Bill S>
Old 10-08-2011, 07:37 PM
futura127

My H9 Corsair and Blue Nose Mustang.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44175.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	1671442  
Old 10-09-2011, 02:58 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Futura,

What prop are you using?
Old 10-09-2011, 06:28 AM
futura127

"Futura,

What prop are you using?
"

I am using a 16x8 APC two blade on the Blue Nose, a 15x8 3-blade Master Airscrew on the Corsair and my Marie Mustang I am using a 14x7 Master Airscrew 3-blade.

To be honest with you all three fly almost exactly the same. They all scream and if I had to estimate the speed I would say 90-100 mph. The lightest of the three is the Corsair so that is probably why it is flying the same with the larger Dia. prop...

I love these planes, they fly so much better with the DLE's then the Saito 100's.

Joe
Old 10-09-2011, 08:38 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Thank you!
Old 10-09-2011, 08:55 AM
futura127

Ya man no problem. It is kinda cool to have three different planes, different weights, small motors but different props all flying about the same performance. Love them!

Joe
Old 10-09-2011, 10:55 PM
kiwibob72

ORIGINAL: futura127

They look sweet, really nice looking pair of planes!
Old 10-10-2011, 06:33 AM
Strega1

Hello, KoleDeRacer

looking at your post on the Yak 54, from Seagull Models, you installed a DLE 20 in it. What modifications did you have to do in order to isntall this engine. I did jump into gas engines due to the cost of 20/20 fuel for my YS 4 stroke engines ( .63 thru .140 size ). I have seven 4 strokers. I'm in the proces of ordering one of the Seagull 54, just like the one on the photo, and did you have to re-inforce the firewall and the landing gear area. I was planning on using a YS .110 on this bird. The DLE 20 seems to be a better choice, cost, wise.

I haven't seen any post on this Yak on this thread. I would welcome all the comments by you or anyone else that would like to join in. Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Ben Cubillos
Fly Fast, Fly Low, Turn Left.
Attached Images  
Old 10-10-2011, 06:41 AM
w1nd6urfa

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey futura,

The Corsairs wheels whould be pointing OUT not in !

Do you have rotating retracts? If yes, the wheels should go in the wells first (not the strut)

Nick
Old 10-10-2011, 07:02 AM
futura127

The Wheel do go in first not the struts! LOL these are not stock retracts they are Sonic Electrics and that is the way they rotate!

Joe
Old 10-10-2011, 08:58 PM
w1nd6urfa

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Joe,
Then you should switch the left and right retracts - wheels should face the wingtips when extended

Old 10-11-2011, 04:21 AM
SpinnerRow

''Futura,

What prop are you using?
''

I am using a 16x8 APC two blade on the Blue Nose, a 15x8 3-blade Master Airscrew on the Corsair and my Marie Mustang I am using a 14x7 Master Airscrew 3-blade.

To be honest with you all three fly almost exactly the same. They all scream and if I had to estimate the speed I would say 90-100 mph. The lightest of the three is the Corsair so that is probably why it is flying the same with the larger Dia. prop...

I love these planes, they fly so much better with the DLE's then the Saito 100's.

Joe
If you are looking for speed on your blue nose P-51, you need to change the prop. My World Models P-51 with a DLE-20 and APC 15x10 was clocked on radar at 113mph. The perfect combo for a speedy warbird. If you are using a Jtech standard sized Pitts muffler or the stock muffler, you may even be able to get away with an APC 15x11. My DLE with the compact Jtech didn't like it though.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:32 AM
futura127

Hi Spinner,

I actually got that prop but since the motor was new I wanted to break it in with the larger prop and get some time on it but I did take your lead from previous postings and purchased two of those props just for that reason. I can't wait to try it out but it will probably be another two weeks yet. I would like to get at least 2 gallons thru the motor and I am over half way there now then I am switching the prop and the oil to Honda HP2 synthetic. I will let you know how I like the prop too!

Thanks,

Joe
Old 10-11-2011, 07:31 PM
tail heavy

I finally got to maiden my H9 P-47 today. WOW! What a great combination. Using a MA 15x8x3 prop. Looks good and flys even better.
Got 6 flights in today and will be heading back to the field tomorrow.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:38 PM
kiwibob72

Joe, how are you finding your H9 P51 Blue Nose re stalling, landing etc, and did you need much weight to balance her?
Old 10-12-2011, 04:42 AM
futura127

Kiwibob,

This are plane just flys great and I have yet to find any bad issues with it. I have made some really slow landings without even an attempt of stalling. Land the plane with full flaps and it is so cool! As far as balance goes, the guy I bought it from had 10 oz of lead glued to the box when he had the Saito 100 on it and I removed every piece of it and it balanced perfectly. I don't know what he was thinking but it was way nose heavy even with the Saito. For some reason people are afraid of these plane and personally they fly like any other planes that I have. I will say that out of the three H9 war birds I have the Blue nose is the heaviest but I think that is because of the construction differences and the heavier retracts. You will love it!

Joe
Old 10-12-2011, 05:08 AM
SpinnerRow

Kiwibob,

This are plane just flys great and I have yet to find any bad issues with it. I have made some really slow landings without even an attempt of stalling. Land the plane with full flaps and it is so cool! As far as balance goes, the guy I bought it from had 10 oz of lead glued to the box when he had the Saito 100 on it and I removed every piece of it and it balanced perfectly. I don't know what he was thinking but it was way nose heavy even with the Saito. For some reason people are afraid of these plane and personally they fly like any other planes that I have. I will say that out of the three H9 war birds I have the Blue nose is the heaviest but I think that is because of the construction differences and the heavier retracts. You will love it!

Joe
I've got two seasons on my WM P-51 and I've come to realize that the setup on most of these war birds determines greatly how they fly. Since I wanted a fast plane, I have dual rates set up. I take off/land on high rates and fly on low rates. And when I say low rates I mean less than a new trainer kind of low rates. I also set mine up just a touch rear of the CG so that it will slow down for the landings and usually land on half flaps. I've flown mine very tail heavy before and it still had decent manners but I can't stand to have one nose heavy as they land like a missile and I can't seem to get enough elevator in them.

I've found the H9 P-51 to be a bit heavier than the World Models but the covering on the World Models is Toughlon and that is the worst covering to ever be produced by man. I've already recovered half my plane in Untrakote. Can't beat the price on the WM though as I paid $219 for mine. If I pile mine in I'd buy another in a heartbeat.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:29 AM
Strega1

Hello, Woody

I see that you used a DLE 20 on a Seagull 90 Yak 54. I'm using the same set up. This will be my first gass engine. What changes did you make on this bird, firewall, landing gear. and the C.G.? I understand this bird has the wrong C.G. denoted on the plans. How did this set up worked out for you. Was this engine the right combo for the Yak .90? how was the performance on this combo. I live in El Paso, Texas where the altitude is around 4000 feet above sea level. Will thi set up work for this combo.
I can use some advice and any changes rhat I need to make to this bird before I fly it for the first time. Your help is apriciatted.

Ben Cubillos
Old 10-12-2011, 03:59 PM
kiwibob72

Kiwibob,

Joe
Nice to read that Joe, as with all the doom and gloomers out there that slam this plane had me nervous for a while - guess I just need to remember that it IS a warbird, and will no doubt fly like one.
I am still wondering if they have altered it slightly since being first released (correcting some of the issues), as with mine being NIB, there is a wooden 'hook' on the underside of one of the wings (where it joins the other wing) that looks to be there to hold the radiator in place, and it is not shown in the instructions at all, so perhaps that might be some indication that they have worked on the flight handling some?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.