My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I need help identifying an engine

It's A Quadra 35
Old 04-02-2012, 05:30 AM
Warbirdguy

Yup, early 35 with standard ignition. If you notice, you can see the white plastic cup inside the flywheel area that incapsulates the points and condenser. The neat thing about this engine is, you can play with the timing to squeeze a little more out of it by setting the points to .008 instead of recomended .010 Being standard ignition, its easily hand cranked. Doesnt take much to make it fire.

Now, you can convert it to a CD type by removing the points, condenser, and all the plastic cover parts and replacing the coil with one off a newer version. Like the US Engines 35 or 40 cc. You will need a spring starter to crank it up after the conversion or an electric starter. Its hard to hand flip it fast enough to get the spark needed for ignition.

Even better would be to convert it to electronic Ignition. A kit that fits any of the Quadra/US Engines 35 through 42 engines will work. You get rid of quite a bit of weight. No mounted coil on engine, flywheel can be replaced with just a hub with magnet in it. The ignition box is far less weight than the original ignition parts.

All in all, its a good solid engine.

Hope this helps

WBG
Old 04-02-2012, 05:55 AM
capnduane

Harry, looks like your missing two case screws as well as the muffler, and the motor mount. If you look around at some of the swap meets you might find a muffler that will fit, or one you can rework..... if you get there really early..... He He He!
Old 04-02-2012, 08:54 AM
llindsey1965
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it is a early early quadra , the early quadras looked a lot like the zenoah but it is a quadra 35cc with magneto ignition , bottom of the crankcase should say made in canada there should be numbers on rear cylinder head and crankcase , if so then it is a early quadra , the rear shaft is where the spring starter will connect to just like the zenoahs