Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Valley View RC Brand Engines

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 11:45 AM
Rick-p

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CanCanCase
Why would an engine manufacturer build stock mufflers to not protrude through one particular model's cowl? I have the 53cc twin in a 25% Yak54 - an even tighter fit than the 40 pictured here - and the mufflers fit well within the cowl... then again, a Yak features a round cowl, as does a Sukhoi. I've seen these things mounted in plenty of Edges, Extras and Slicks too... all different cowl shapes, and all make for a great fit.

I think if a guy wanted that particular model with that cowl shape and DIDN'T want the mufflers sticking out, it would be worth exploring one of the many muffler and exhaust specialty companies out there... I know Bisson and Keleo could be persuaded to make something. Heck...how about an XYZ 40cc twin attached to a set of ProFlow canisters? That might be something!

-Case
Case - I'm working on 2 planes right now - 1-aerowks Edge 540 50cc and an Extra 330 SC by aerobeez. Problem is I need to run both exhausts through a single, medium size ProFlo canister. I've got the ProFlos already. I need the plumbing - headers, "Y" connector and pipe extension to get back to the can. I've just about exhausted all my options. Where do I go from here? I talked to Tim at VV & he told me that the plumbing for the 40cc twin was made especially for that engine and can't be altered to fit anything else. I asked him for the name of the co. that made them in hopes that I could get them interested. I'd really be interested if you or your friends could point me in the right direction. Thanks, Rick-p

Last edited by Rick-p; 04-22-2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:33 PM
CanCanCase

Not to be rude, but I guess I don't understand why I'm being called on to re-type my previous posts. The VVRC "Y" is a hard-piped, 2 into 1 header for their 40cc twin, designed to port both exhausts into a single, center-mounted canister. If you're working on 50cc projects, of course their 2 into 1 header won't work, as the port shape, port size, header drop, and bolt pattern likely vary from engine to engine.

Speaking of engines, you didn't even mention which 50cc engine you were trying to exhaust into a single medium ProFlow can, so I can't make any recommendations for stock products to solve the problem.

Just in general terms, you have a few options… Maybe look at a set of flex headers if you can't accurately calculate drop and length from each exhaust port? If you do know the correct drop and length that you'll need to build to, Mac's Mufflers, Bisson, J-tec, Keleo Creations, and possibly Magnum RC would all be places to check to see if they will do a custom job.

Honestly, I'm not really the right guy to be talking to about canister installs… I only just recently flew some OPP with a set of well-tuned cans on a DA-100 (WOW is all I can say… it was SWEET!!!) Anything 40cc and under gets Budweiser bottles in my fleet anyway, I've run a bunch of stock exhausts on my 50cc setups, and I'm planning the builds now for a canister on a DA-85 and a pair of cans on a DLE-120cc, but there are no tunnels or cowls involved as these cans are simply strapped to the belly of some rather large profiles...

-Case

Originally Posted by Rick-p
Case - I'm working on 2 planes right now - 1-aerowks Edge 540 50cc and an Extra 330 SC by aerobeez. Problem is I need to run both exhausts through a single, medium size ProFlo canister. I've got the ProFlos already. I need the plumbing - headers, "Y" connector and pipe extension to get back to the can. I've just about exhausted all my options. Where do I go from here? I talket to Tim at VV & he told me that the plumbing for the 40cc twin was made especially for that engine and can't be altered to fir anything else. I asked him for the name of the co. that made them in hops that I could get them interested. I'd really be interested i9f you or your friends could point me in the right direction. Thanks, Rick-p
Old 04-23-2015, 06:30 AM
Rick-p

Sorry for omitting details-FG57TS 4 stroke on the 50ccsize Edge and 60cc RCGF 2 stroke on the Extra. I' m new to this so l don't know what is possible and what isn't....If you would want, I have other threads on the gas engine forum "canister muffler for twin cyl rc engines". Thanks for your post. Rick-p
Old 05-06-2015, 06:59 AM
althepal88
My Feedback: (31)

When do you think the VVRC 40 will be back in stock? I have one now, and I want to buy another. I imagine that they are sitting on a ship in the harbor awaiting off-loading.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:23 AM
Mntflyby

I have a VVRC 40 twin. I need to know how to plumb the fuel system. It has three hose fittings: One on carb cover( I assume it is the fuel inlet? ) One on the carb side is for ? One on the intake housing is for ?
Old 05-12-2015, 06:55 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The one on the steel cover just connect a line and run it back into the fuselage.

The one on the side is the fuel inlet

The one on the cast aluminum cover is the impulse line
Old 05-12-2015, 09:19 AM
Mntflyby

I don't think mine has the steel cover. I will look at it this evening.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:07 AM
w8ye

Originally Posted by Mntflyby
I don't think mine has the steel cover. I will look at it this evening.
Familiarity with your engine will lead to a more satisfactory experience with your model airplane hobby.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:43 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Guys I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on a VV 20cc engine but would like to know what is the external black finish that the engine case and cylinder appears to have.

Karol

Last edited by karolh; 05-12-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:21 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have heard that a black finish on a engine helps the cooling?? Capt,n
Old 05-14-2015, 04:26 AM
Mntflyby

Originally Posted by w8ye
Familiarity with your engine will lead to a more satisfactory experience with your model airplane hobby.
Yes I am trying to do just that. My engine has a tubing fitting on the carb top. This cover is held on with a single screw. The next fitting is on the carb side in the main body of the carb. The third is on the carb mounting block. The booklet that comes with it does not show anything on to plumb it.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:15 AM
w8ye

Originally Posted by Mntflyby
Yes I am trying to do just that. My engine has a tubing fitting on the carb top. (This is the impulse line that connects to the carb mounting block) This cover is held on with a single screw. The next fitting is on the carb side in the main body of the carb.(This is the fuel inlet) The third is on the carb mounting block. The booklet that comes with it does not show anything on to plumb it.
The bold entries above are my answers
Old 05-14-2015, 09:17 AM
Mntflyby

Thank you.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:04 PM
Kahu1958

Default VVRC40cc Twin

The VVRC40 twin with 1/4" plugs fits nicely in the Seagull Models 30cc Edge 540. It has lots of power, great vertical performance. 7500 RPM on master airscrew 20X8 prop 1200 RPM idle. Custom exhaust pipe would be great but the standard ones fitted are not too bad. Model flies very well.
Great engine for this size model, as it is designed to be.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6080.JPG
Views:	700
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	2108738   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6082.JPG
Views:	663
Size:	815.4 KB
ID:	2108739  
Old 07-13-2015, 09:13 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Guys,

I'm finally all settled in my new place here in Lakewood, Washington, and I think it's time to get modeling again. I've got the V V RC40CC Twin in my RC Guys Pitts, but I ended up moving from Texas to Washington before I could finish it up. The reason I'm posting here today is that I just got another Super Stearman ARF. I sold my last one, and I've been kicking myself ever since. Does anybody have any experience with a V V RC40CC Twin in a Super Stearman ARF? I'm not positive (and I haven't yet read my old posts in the Super Stearman Forums), but I'm thinking the cowl was about 8 inches across, which I think is just a little too tight for this engine. The S-Stearman ARF is still en route to me, so I'll know more once it arrives and I can dig into the box. I suppose I could live with a couple of cutouts for the plugs/ plug wires, if they don't protrude too far.

Not a huge deal right now anyway; I'm still getting my work benches and tooling set up for building. It's nice to have that feeling that I can do my modeling again. With the move here, and all the preparation for the move, I've been pretty much out of the picture for a year and a half now. The weather here is probably the best weather I've ever seen, overall. No real snow falls here, mostly rainy forties and high thirties in the winter - and I've flown in zero degrees many a time when I lived in Maine - so I'm looking forward to getting out and flying here.

The Pitts isn't far from completion. The photo of the V V RC40 engine through the cowling was taken with the Pitts hanging on the ceiling, and wouldn't you know it, the cowl was practically up against the garage door opener, so sorry it couldn't be a better shot. The others are older photos of the basic setup and mounting of the engine on the firewall, taken just before I packed it for the move.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	VV40CC Twin.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	506.0 KB
ID:	2108858   Click image for larger version

Name:	VV40CC viewed thru cowl vents.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	344.7 KB
ID:	2108859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pitts on Table.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	523.5 KB
ID:	2108860  

Last edited by PacificNWSkyPilot; 07-13-2015 at 09:16 AM. Reason: SP
Old 07-13-2015, 01:05 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, SkyPilot. Have you checked out the Mount Rainier RC club yet? The field is about 30-35 min. from Lakewood. The owner of VVRC is a past-president of our club. Our club is a wild mix of gas, glow and electric. Go to MRRCS.org and see.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:56 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

rcguy59,

I've been to the field you mentioned. I recognize it from the photo. I went there last year.

Nice field.

Jim

Last edited by PacificNWSkyPilot; 07-28-2015 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:49 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

All clubs have politics,but if you had a current AMA card and they wouldn't let you sign up.Then you probably won't like flying there or the guys that run the club anyways. It's sad but you can't get more than three people together with out politics of some sort involved.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:51 PM
captinjohn

Originally Posted by closetguy
All clubs have politics,but if you had a current AMA card and they wouldn't let you sign up.Then you probably won't like flying there or the guys that run the club anyways. It's sad but you can't get more than three people together with out politics of some sort involved.
Boy that sure is the d_m truth.......
Old 07-14-2015, 06:53 PM
captinjohn

Originally Posted by karolh
Guys I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on a VV 20cc engine but would like to know what is the external black finish that the engine case and cylinder appears to have.

Karol
Did you pull the trigger on a VV20cc engine? Your Friend !
Old 07-20-2015, 02:18 PM
600Bob

"I've been to the field you mentioned. I recognize it from the photo. I went there last year (2014), to the November or December meeting, intending to join. I even brought some modular furniture to contribute to the clubhouse (which I left there). My 2014 AMA membership was in effect, but they wouldn't let me join that day because I didn't have AMA for 2015. I went away pi$$ed off, because I'd been told to come to that meeting to join up, but nobody told me I had to have AMA membership for the following year in my hand. There was no reason for that. Anybody can ask you for your card at any time, and I would have renewed (and did renew) for 2015 before January 1st. Talk about total BS. It takes me almost an hour to drive there. They wasted my time.

I've seen it before. Don't get me wrong, the field looked great. But that field comes with something bad. Bad officers, bad rules, or bad people.

Telling a guy he can't join when he shows up with everything he was told to bring; the money, the application, and a current AMA membership; there's something seriously wrong there.

I haven't been back since, not even to watch. Thanks for the suggestion, but I think that, after an experience like that, I should just scratch Mount Rainier RC off my list and check out some of the other local fields.

Jim"

If that club was like the field I fly at then the membership is payed at the beginning of the year like AMA dues, you don't join in the middle of the year and if you did you would pay full price, not prorated. You would have been paying for the 2015 year so you need a 2015 AMA, how do they know you will renew your AMA for 2015? You might have been able to talk them into a prorated 2014 membership, did you ask?

I always renew my AMA early because I know it takes time for them to process and mail out the card. I can understand why you were upset but I think you are being overally critical.

Last edited by 600Bob; 07-20-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:41 AM
ma_mulcahy

I am happy to say my VVRC 20cc shipped out this morning. I have tentatively planned to install this in a BUSA 80" Eindeker. I am only interested in basic aerobatics and gentle flying with this combo. Anyone have any experience or opinion on this combo?
Old 07-27-2015, 03:01 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by captinjohn
Did you pull the trigger on a VV20cc engine? Your Friend !
Hi John, that other M engine is running so sweetly that I decided to put pulling the trigger on hold for the time being.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:08 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

I've been hoping to hear from more guys about their 40CC VV RC Twin's performance / longevity / etc. now that they've been out a while. This whole thread is 15 pages, which took maybe an hour to read through. I'm still finishing up my RC Guys Pitts, and though the engine is bolted on and running, I've yet to really see how it performs in flight. Until then, I hope to enjoy the twins vicariously through others!

I installed a pair of Frank Bowman aftermarket rings in mine, and it seemed tight, but it turned over and started okay, and wasn't too tight after that. It probably wouldn't have been tight had I run the engine any amount before going to the aftermarket rings.

Cool sounding engine!

Jim

Last edited by PacificNWSkyPilot; 07-28-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:49 PM
Kahu1958

Originally Posted by PacificNWSkyPilot
I've been hoping to hear from more guys about their 40CC VV RC Twin's performance / longevity / etc. now that they've been out a while. This whole thread is 15 pages, which took maybe an hour to read through. I'm still finishing up my RC Guys Pitts, and though the engine is bolted on and running, I've yet to really see how it performs in flight. Until then, I hope to enjoy the twins vicariously through others!

Jim
The VVRC 40cc Twin I had certainly seemed to have lots of power. 7500 RPM on a 20X8 prop on the ground. Lots of power in the air. Great little engine performance wise.
As far as longevity goes though they seem to have a weakness in the crankshaft. Mine cracked the front crank web at the big end crank pin. It lasted about 6 months. I hear several others have had broken crankshafts as well. Not sure if it was just a bad batch or all engines.
I understand VVRC are trying to find another manufacturer to supply better crankshafts, hope they fix this problem.
I have sent mine back to VVRC but have not heard from them yet.

Last edited by Kahu1958; 08-01-2015 at 10:53 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.