Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Change your FG84R3 to 40-1 oil mix!!!!!!!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Change your FG84R3 to 40-1 oil mix!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 12:25 AM
salfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks marksp. We'll see how this situation develops in the coming week or so. If it is as you suspect, then Saito would have a real winner. Everyone at my club is now waiting to see how I get on before they decide as they love the overall package.
Cheers
Old 09-08-2014, 02:37 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marksp
It appears that Ray is providing direct input to Saito on the FG-R design. What they do with it, and what they extend to the customers, if anything, is unclear. In my case, I paid 3X the price of a conventional engine, then again the price of another engine to fix something that has yet to fly. Not looking or expecting anything, but reliable, normal engine life would be great. A re-designed intake plenum, connecting rod bushings and an exhaust ring would be fantastic! As it is, this is my first and last Saito. Cheers
Suposedly, Saito took the photos Ray posted as true to his design & tried to used the modification W/O Rays permission. Turns out Ray was crafty enough to not post pictures of his actual design & Saito's pirated revamp didn't work out so well for them. They are now working with Ray on some sort of licensing deal.

I got this from a reliable source that is involved in the R/C engine aftermarket.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:15 AM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Well I love the way my FG-33R3 runs with the mods on 15:1 with the Keleo ring. I was hoping the FG-60R3 incorporated the mods from the factory. Gotta think HH won't pick up unless/until reliability issues are sorted.

I'll wait and see...
Old 09-08-2014, 01:44 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I talked to Ray yesterday at the club field (he's working nearby and comes down to fly with us occasionally) and he said that the 60's were out with his mod as expected, he had one which he'd shipped to Kelvin (Keleo) for an exhaust ring build.

'Gotta get my H9 60cc Corsair and Ray English modified FG84 Saito down to my builder in the next couple of weeks.....
Old 09-08-2014, 03:25 PM
marksp

Right on, thanks for that confirmation.

Now I needs start shopping for the right airframe for the FG-60R3!

Cheers
Old 09-11-2014, 11:22 AM
salfly

Hi marksp, what is your FG33R3 in Beaver carb intake clearance and air supply like? Your engine/airframe combination is like mine and so if your engine, after mods, works fine inside the Beaver cowl, then my problem is with the original bronze free bearing and poor air/fuel mix. Check my photos you have seen on rcgroups Silverfly. This is really frustrating...may go back to simple two-stroke....more power less weight but weedwacker sound.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:05 PM
marksp

Not sure if you can see, but to get proper prop - cowl spacing, the engine is mounted to the engine/motor box which is actually recessed behind the firewall. This results in the carb opening just about in the fuselage and exhaust ring about 2mm from touching firewall. Seems to work.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:46 AM
salfly

Thanks marksp. Brilliant set of photos. Says everything. May get my repaired engine back this week. I will use the ring to tank vent pipe pressure suggestion of yours. Hoping all will be Ok before rain, wind and general winter sets in here in UK.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:13 PM
DHC6
My Feedback: (6)

Hopefully Ray watches this forum.... I sent my Saito FG84 parts to him several weeks ago, and have sent numerous message. I have had no responce from him at all. I know the parts got there, the tracking confirms this, but what's going on? Anyone one here know him, or possible idea if anything is wrong?
Old 12-05-2014, 12:31 PM
marksp

I chatted with him (via e-mail) a couple of weeks ago. Seperately, I heard he's super busy. I don't think he spends time on these forums so I suggest either e-mailing or calling.

Cheers
Old 12-05-2014, 05:03 PM
Pondus
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had him modifiy two 450R3's recently and it did take a while and he was very slow to answer emails, but the work got done and I got my parts back, so I would not be too worried.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:23 AM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by DHC6
Hopefully Ray watches this forum.... I sent my Saito FG84 parts to him several weeks ago, and have sent numerous message. I have had no responce from him at all. I know the parts got there, the tracking confirms this, but what's going on? Anyone one here know him, or possible idea if anything is wrong?
Ray lives in Nevada near Carson City but for the last number of months he's been working in Draper, UT (just south of SLC) and he only fly's home every other weekend. That's when he does the engine mod work. I talked to him a couple of weeks ago about one of the guys on the H9 Corsair 60cc thread. At that point, he said the earliest he could do one would be mid December. So he's busy but takes stuff in the order it arrived to complete the work. And no, I don't think Ray spends much if any, time on these forums.

Don't sweat it, he's one of the finest gentlemen I've ever met. A hoot to be around, extremely well educated, does very nice work and I believe, honest to the bone. If you do feel like you need to contact him, I always had better luck with the phone.

Last edited by Zeeb; 12-06-2014 at 09:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-07-2014, 06:00 AM
DHC6
My Feedback: (6)

Got a responce. I was never worried about his honesty but when you send a totoal stranger several hundred dollars worth of engine parts and get no responce for several weeks you get a little concerned. Either way I am looking forward to next spring to seeing the resultls of the modifications.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:56 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by marksp
I chatted with him (via e-mail) a couple of weeks ago. Seperately, I heard he's super busy. I don't think he spends time on these forums so I suggest either e-mailing or calling.

Cheers
Originally Posted by Pondus
I had him modifiy two 450R3's recently and it did take a while and he was very slow to answer emails, but the work got done and I got my parts back, so I would not be too worried.
Originally Posted by Zeeb
Ray lives in Nevada near Carson City but for the last number of months he's been working in Draper, UT (just south of SLC) and he only fly's home every other weekend. That's when he does the engine mod work. I talked to him a couple of weeks ago about one of the guys on the H9 Corsair 60cc thread. At that point, he said the earliest he could do one would be mid December. So he's busy but takes stuff in the order it arrived to complete the work. And no, I don't think Ray spends much if any, time on these forums.

Don't sweat it, he's one of the finest gentlemen I've ever met. A hoot to be around, extremely well educated, does very nice work and I believe, honest to the bone. If you do feel like you need to contact him, I always had better luck with the phone.
Got a responce. I was never worried about his honesty but when you send a totoal stranger several hundred dollars worth of engine parts and get no responce for several weeks you get a little concerned. Either way I am looking forward to next spring to seeing the resultls of the modifications.
I had Ray modify some FA-180 rods for use on an FA-150 crank. it took a while (for the reasons cited above) but I did receive them.

Botton line, don't be in a hurry. You'll get your parts, Ray is a very busy man.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:27 AM
hellcat56
My Feedback: (21)

I want one of these

BUT
is there any way to convert it to Gas
don't want any glow fuel anylonger
Old 04-05-2015, 07:37 AM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by hellcat56
I want one of these

BUT
is there any way to convert it to Gas
don't want any glow fuel anylonger
Umm....

The FG84 Saito is a gasoline engine. It's also a 4 stroke engine rather than a 2 stroke. Since it does not have a crankcase for oil, the gasoline must be mixed with an appropriate oil in an appropriate concentration in order to provide lubrication to the many engine parts including the valve train.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:35 PM
zdsh13

Is Saito planning to update the FG-84's with Rays design changes as well, I'm in the market for a FG-84 and could wait if required...
Old 05-04-2015, 08:10 AM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by zdsh13
Is Saito planning to update the FG-84's with Rays design changes as well, I'm in the market for a FG-84 and could wait if required...
I wouldn't bet on it....
Old 05-04-2015, 10:31 AM
marksp

Agreed...no indication of intent to update the existing designs (FG-33R3, FG-84R3). FG-60R3 incorporates design enhancements (intake, bushing, etc). Unclear about new FG-19R3???

I've read post from owners of FG-84 with positive experiences - YMMV
Old 05-04-2015, 10:43 AM
jmlead

Condor 060,
I just read your post on the Saito fuel issue.
I am making a mod to cure the fuel/oil problem.
return a response to my e-mail address, and I will discuss the mod with you.
Thanks in advance,
Jim
Old 05-04-2015, 11:43 AM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

The 84 is on sale.Probably trying to clear out the inventory.Hopefully they will modify the new stock,but don't hold your breath.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:51 PM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just started mine up for te first time, and it was so lean that it only ran on one cylinder.
Waiting for better weather to get out and run in the engine, and hopefully fly it :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0Vratxl14o
Old 06-02-2015, 07:24 PM
chorner

Wow you're nuts man lol starting the engine up in your house and holding it back with your left hand while you kneel beside the prop? Holy ****...
Old 06-03-2015, 01:23 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

nooooo.....just make sure you dont touch the spinning prop, and all will be fine :-)

Weather is still realy bad, so I have not had a chance to get out and run it :-(
Old 06-03-2015, 07:28 PM
CRG
My Feedback: (3)

FG-84R3D and FG-33R3 engines will remain unmodified for the forseeable future. The FG-60R3 and FG-19R3 both have the Ray English influenced bushing and intake modifications.

Our in-house FG-84R3D is box stock and now has well over 100 flights without issue. We use Red Line oil exclusively and 20:1 ratio pump gas.

Craig

Originally Posted by SWORDSN
The 84 is on sale.Probably trying to clear out the inventory.Hopefully they will modify the new stock,but don't hold your breath.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.