Default RE: Copperhead Aviation Venom 45-30

3d-aholic

Thanks man , thats what he told me.

Cheers,
Old 07-11-2007, 09:56 PM
Flyer Freq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Tim! Fortunately I am done with the packets. I have been using Moble Synthetic at 50:1 ever since. I can't find Penzoil for air cooled engines around here.[]
Old 07-11-2007, 09:57 PM
dmajchrzak
My Feedback: (17)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3d-aholic,

Thanks for that link, it explains everything and has good real-world data from Scott.
Guess I'll start looking around for a local source for the Pennzoil 2-cycle air-cooled oil.

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2007, 10:00 PM
CopperheadAV

ORIGINAL: Flyer Freq

Thanks Tim! Fortunately I am done with the packets. I have been using Moble Synthetic at 50:1 ever since. I can't find Penzoil for air cooled engines around here.[]
We use Moble at the factory, it's the only brand name oil I can find here. Works for me.

Cheers,

Old 07-11-2007, 10:00 PM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: dmajchrzak

3d-aholic,

Thanks for that link, it explains everything and has good real-world data from Scott.
Guess I'll start looking around for a local source for the Pennzoil 2-cycle air-cooled oil.

Thanks!
FYI.
Scott sells the 8 oz. bottle for $2.95. http://www.brillelli.com/brillelli_004.htm

By the time you take into account finding the source and driving to 3 places that don't have it but said they did, you'll probably pay for shipping.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:03 PM
CopperheadAV

ORIGINAL: 3d-aholic

3d-aholic,

Thanks!
FYI.
Scott sells the 8 oz. bottle for $2.95. http://www.brillelli.com/brillelli_004.htm

By the time you take into account finding the source and driving to 3 places that don't have it but said they did, you'll probably pay for shipping.

Cheap enough, buy a few!!

Old 07-11-2007, 10:13 PM
dmajchrzak
My Feedback: (17)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What type of Mobil oil should be used? I did a quick google on Mobil oil 2 stroke with no luck.
32:1 breakin? 40:1 thereafter?

What would idiots like me do without these forums....
Old 07-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Scott Ellingson
My Feedback: (146)

Forgive me for chiming in so quickly again. But I started to do more looking around at Opti-2 and found this little tidbit in the forums...

" a few things about Opti-2

It sticks to everything in the engine. every thing is coated with a sticky oil
It is drawn to heat, like solder, so the hotter a spot gets the more lubrication it gets.
And it is not synthetic.

Opti-4, for 4 cycles is in every new BMW off the assembly line."
I guess it IS petroleum based... my mistake if I indicated otherwise.. I wonder if this "stickiness" is the cause of some issue?

- Dave
That is the problem with the Opti IMO. It sticks were the heat is and causes rings to stick. It is a black nasty coating. Here is a pic. It is a 46 piston with less than 3 gallons through it. I could not find the one with a little over 3 gallons through it. I had to remove the ring in 3 pieces. Penzoil is great for break-in. Bel-Ray, Mobil 1 2T are good afterwards. Actually the Penzoil is fine all the time. I have a few people using it. One with over 20 gallons and no problems at all. I was sucked into the Opti pit and paid the price.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90061.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	721174  
Old 07-11-2007, 10:26 PM
CopperheadAV

What type of Mobil oil should be used? I did a quick google on Mobil oil 2 stroke with no luck.
32:1 breakin? 40:1 thereafter?

What would idiots like me do without these forums....
Dave,

It may be a China thing, I will check today and let you know. No question is bad, asking is how we all learn!

We are getting ready to start a production run here and as it goes along, I will post pics of our factory in this thread. Here is one of our building.

Cheers,

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84669.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	721176  
Old 07-11-2007, 10:27 PM
CopperheadAV

ORIGINAL: Scott Ellingson

Forgive me for chiming in so quickly again. But I started to do more looking around at Opti-2 and found this little tidbit in the forums...

It is drawn to heat, like solder, so the hotter a spot gets the more lubrication it gets.
And it is not synthetic.

I guess it IS petroleum based... my mistake if I indicated otherwise.. I wonder if this "stickiness" is the cause of some issue?

- Dave
That is the problem with the Opti IMO. It sticks were the heat is and causes rings to stick. It is a black nasty coating. Here is a pic. It is a 46 piston with less than 3 gallons through it. I could not find the one with a little over 3 gallons through it. I had to remove the ring in 3 pieces. Penzoil is great for break-in. Bel-Ray, Mobil 1 2T are good afterwards. Actually the Penzoil is fine all the time. I have a few people using it. One with over 20 gallons and no problems at all. I was sucked into the Opti pit and paid the price.

Thats Nasty!!
Old 07-12-2007, 02:06 AM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

Dave, I got a case (minimum order) of Mobil 1 Racing 2T from AV Lubricants in Groveton (Groveport?) OH (6 1-qt bottles). It took a penetrating search to sniff them out. This is the oil that MVVS specifies for their 2-stroke gassers, Pe Reivers says he uses it for all his gassers, 32:1 all the time. Good enough for Pe is good enough for me. PM me and I'll be happy to part with a quart if that's any help to you. Six quarts will probably last me the rest of my life at the rate I'm flying these days.

Seems to me I found Pennzoil small bottles at Walmart last time I looked.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:52 AM
mfuess

ORIGINAL: Scott Ellingson

And it is not synthetic.

- Dave
I have a Brillelli 46 that has at least 20 gallons run through it, and except for a little brown on top it looks brand-new. All I have ever used in it was Pennzoil 2-Cycle oil at 32:1. My Venom 45 in my Pitts Monster has well over 200 flights and the piston is still shiny on the skirt and a little brown on top. Same oil... You couldn't pay me enough money to switch to another lubricant.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:01 AM
mfuess

Scott,

Just so you'll know, I remove stuck piston rings by submerging them in a little container of HEATED up Berryman B-12 Chemtool. I've never had one that wouldn't un-stick! If you decide to try this, don't use an open flame.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:55 AM
3d-aholic

ORIGINAL: mfuess
I have a Brillelli 46 that has at least 20 gallons run through it, and except for a little brown on top it looks brand-new. All I have ever used in it was Pennzoil 2-Cycle oil at 32:1. My Venom 45 in my Pitts Monster has well over 200 flights and the piston is still shiny on the skirt and a little brown on top. Same oil... You couldn't pay me enough money to switch to another lubricant.
And you have a lot experience taking a lot of motors apart to see the effects of different oils right?

I think I may stick with Pennzoil as well. If you take a look at the Ultralight oil tests link I posted, they test against a popular synth. as well. You can see that the synth is nearly as good as Pennzoil in some places and better in other places....however the buildup is worse basically because they are mixing it at 50:1. The article describes that they intend to run the tests at 50:1 even though a lot of folks using synth mix at lower quantities. A lower ratio would probably leave a lot less buildup then maybe even the Pennzoil at the expensive possibly of engine life. So there is a bit of a toss up there between the petroleum based lubes and the synths.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:20 PM
mfuess

WAY TOO MUCH....
Old 07-13-2007, 06:12 AM
mfuess

There's way too many brain cells being burned up here, on what's the "best" oil.

ALL manufacturers of 2-cycle oil carry total liability of their product performance. If their product is used precisely as recommended, and you experience engine failure specifically because of their product. It's the Mfg's responcibility to repair or replace the engine. I've had 2 engines replaced over the years by a 2-Cycle oil mfg. (Names intentionally omitted). The engine mfg also carries the same legal burden, if a particular lubricant is recommended and failure occurs with said product.

Read the LABELS and determine if its the CORRECT lubricant for your application.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:47 AM
norbert001

Nice little free calculator here some might find useful, won't tell you the best oil for your application, but it will help you get the correct ratio's...!!
http://www.mbdrafting.co.uk/Software-1/Software-1.htm

Paul.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:57 AM
3d-aholic

In other words, Pick an Oil that others swear by....and roll the dice.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:05 PM
mfuess

ORIGINAL: 3d-aholic

In other words, Pick an Oil that others swear by....and roll the dice.
Better to swear BY, than swear AT...
Old 07-22-2007, 05:24 PM
norbert001

Hi Guys
Has anybody tried or experimented with different pipe or can set ups with the Venom..? I fly from a noise sensitive site, so i might need to quieten things down a bit, but i don't want to loose too much performance if any. just wondered if anybody has played or experimented with it.

Thanks for any help.
Paul
Old 07-22-2007, 07:00 PM
CopperheadAV

ORIGINAL: norbert001

Hi Guys
Has anybody tried or experimented with different pipe or can set ups with the Venom..? I fly from a noise sensitive site, so i might need to quieten things down a bit, but i don't want to loose too much performance if any. just wondered if anybody has played or experimented with it.

Thanks for any help.
Paul
Paul,

I tried a bunch of different designs on the pipe and found the current design to be the best. If you stick with about the same volume or greater, it should yield good results. I have a guy at our field that has a DB meter permanently attached to his hand, so I know what you mean!!

Cheers,

Old 07-23-2007, 05:03 PM
norbert001

Thanks for that Tim, got a few different props to try out first, I shall then take it from there if needs be.
Pretty sure a ZDZ 50 manifold pipe will fit,( The gasket looks the same anyway) so i've got a starting point if i need to go down that route.

Cheers Paul
Old 07-25-2007, 05:13 AM
mfuess

Hi Guys

Thanks for any help.
Paul
Paul,

Your Venom muffler is quieter than most factory supplied mufflers. With the correct prop, you will be well within AMA guidlines. We have a noise restriction at our field and I haven't had any issues with it. But if you still need a little less db, simply close off one of your exit stingers. This will reduce your engine noise by a good 4 to 6db without cutting too much power. A good quality cannister muffler would be OK but they cost a fortune and then you still have to find a header that will fit your engine & airplane. Try the simple things first.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:12 PM
norbert001

Mark;
That was going to be my next question..!! concerning the stingers, hopefully i won't have to do it, didn't know whether it would create to much back pressure.
A correctly propped engine and a few lessons in good throttle management should help quieten things down a bit...!! [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=biggrin.gif]

Cheers
Paul
Old 07-26-2007, 04:57 AM
mfuess

Mark;
That was going to be my next question..!! concerning the stingers, hopefully i won't have to do it, didn't know whether it would create to much back pressure.
A correctly propped engine and a few lessons in good throttle management should help quieten things down a bit...!! [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=biggrin.gif]

Cheers
Paul
Closing off a stinger will grenerate some back pressure, but it won't cause a problem. You can also go to a THREE Blade prop. That will hold the RPM down, noise down, and keep vibration down. Plus you'll get a better (smoother) idle. I use a Menz Ultra 20x12x3.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.