Somebody help me out here.. I just don't have the oomph to read 3000 posts. I have the DL-50. New on my work bench, about to mount on my plane. I got to reading the instructions.. Says break in at 2500rpm for two hours! This accurate!? Anybody out there help me out with the break in procedures for this? Or go straight by the DL instructions?
DL instructions. 2 hours 2500 rpm, 2 hours 3500-4500 rpm, 32:1 lawnboy ashless, 22x8 prop. At least 3 gallons break-in fuel. After these 4 hours you have little over 2 gallons left. I let the engine run for 2 nights while I was watching TV inside. No problem.
1. Set needles as stated in the manual;
2. Run engine for 5 minutes or so;
3. After a cool down, fire it up, let it run hot;
4. Close LS needle 1/8 at a time until the engine starts to surge increasing rpm fast (not full throttle);
5. Open LS 1/8;
6. Complete 4 hours break-in;
7. Run engine hot full throttle and adjust needles again before you put the cowling on.
Needle adjustments after the 4 hours:
Adjust HS needle for max rpm, then open it 1/16 or about 150-200 rpm drop.
Adjust LS as described above.
Repeat because LS and HS influence each other.
Put the cowling on and have fun flying until you're through the 3 gallons.
Remove cowling, mount a 23x8 or 23x10 on a tuned pipe and run one tank of the synthetic gas mixture (e.g. Amsoil Saber 80:1).
Adjust needles again and put the cowling back on and you're all set.