RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Has anyone tried the new PTE36R ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/10672914-has-anyone-tried-new-pte36r.html)

CAT POwer 03-06-2012 06:15 PM

RE: Has anyone tried the new PTE36R ?

Ok, I ran the PTR36 today for 2 fuel tanks (10 oz ) 5 on (2500rpm) and 10/15 cooldown.... was on the 3rd tank when it started to run real rough.
and died..... changed battery same  hard to start ...its blowing alot alot black stuff all over the test plane, changed plug, checked timming all ok, changed ignition box (DLE30) still the same thing, was using fresh mixed fuel 1:32 Stihl Ultra.
Hard to start realy hard at 30/40% throttle, runs at 2500 rpm goes to 3500 won't run above or below.
Carb stting where not changed exept on the beginning 1/4 turn rich on both...turned them back no change.
Had to quit my arm hurts to bad from flipping ............................ 
 Any thoughts ?

3136 03-06-2012 07:01 PM

Sounds like you have it way too rich.
Tune it properly, get it to run reliably and fly it so it cools properly.
Running it in on the ground is for glow engines.
Do you have a tach ? They really help with tuning.

nefariousrc 03-06-2012 07:06 PM

I just received my first PTE slated for a 1/4 scale L-4 using a canister as that stock exhaust is obnoxious.  Looking forward to getting this thing in the air.

gunny11 03-06-2012 07:59 PM

Cat Power,
You said you changed the module... What about the hall sensor.

My other guess would be to check the reeds.

Mine did the same thing, but all is O.K. when I put an rcexel ignition unit on it. I'm still using the stock hall sensor.

CAT POwer 03-06-2012 08:21 PM

3136, befor the 3rd tank the engine was running good 1950 idle,  7500 WOT, good transition.....................

3136 03-06-2012 09:13 PM

Hey Cat, pull your plug out, clean it and check the gap.
Set your high (closest to the carb opening)to 1.5 turns out from closed
and the low 1.25 turns out from closed.
See if it will start from there, then tune it accordingly.
Maybe check the two bolts holding the carb and reed block on are tight.

CAT POwer 03-07-2012 07:02 AM

3136,   Will do,  thanks</p>

closetguy 03-10-2012 05:45 PM

not to change the subject,but is there any news about the pt72 twin,couldn't find anything about it at there web site.

novayusa 03-11-2012 10:04 PM

time go fast... Too busy with making mufflers for customers. Will hold the experiment in this week. Ipromise.</p>

novayusa 03-11-2012 10:13 PM

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord

LOL, I got a kick out of this one. Reminds me of a financial book I read where this guy goes to Japan and learned how to determine someone's importance in the Japanese business by the size of their conference room.
My company not a big company. We do our effort to offer our own design products to customers. our products line includetuned pipe for 1/8 buggy and 1/8 on-road, 1/10 on-road which all are certificated by EFRA, 30/56/90/26CC helicopter tuned pipe, full line ofaircraft muffler for nitro and gasoline engines.

CAT POwer 03-12-2012 06:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, I had some time...reset all carb settings....same result. Removed engine, checked carb seemed ok. While checked the reed valves found both valves had small pieces missing around the lower corner and two sides would not close to the reed valve cage. There is also a crack in the reed valve cage.

3136 03-12-2012 09:26 PM

That's dissapointing Catpower. Did you buy it new from a dealer?
I took mine out when I got it and cleaned up some of the castings so the reeds sat better.
My reeds and cage looked fine, just needed a slight file, I also filed the insulator block with a round file where it lined up with the screws that hold on the reeds as it looked like there was a little too much pressure put there when screwed together.

CAT POwer 03-13-2012 03:58 PM

Yes I got it from a dealer, have to wait and see how it plays out.
Waiting for parts now

prophecypilot 03-31-2012 07:12 AM

Did you ever get your engine straightened out? Mine had similar problems to yours, I had to do some seating on the insulator and reed cages also, but still didn't do right. I finally swapped the ignition and hall sensor from a DLE 30 and it runs great, put the PTE ign back on it runs bad again.

CAT POwer 04-01-2012 03:31 PM

Hi, I got the parts and installed them but did not have time to run it.

ORIGINAL: prophecypilot

Did you ever get your engine straightened out? Mine had similar problems to yours, I had to do some seating on the insulator and reed cages also, but still didn't do right. I finally swapped the ignition and hall sensor from a DLE 30 and it runs great, put the PTE ign back on it runs bad again.

pulsar110 04-04-2012 07:56 AM

I got one of these and love the power. Only issue Iv had is the welds on both pipes on the exhaust have failed. One fell off on the maiden flight. When I took the cowl off I can see the other is cracking around the weld and oil has seeped through. This is the only problem I have other than that it starts very easy and has tons of power.

WLM189 04-04-2012 03:50 PM

I have recently purchased a PTE 36R, love the engine. I have about a tank of fuel through it and is running an 18x8 prop. Has anyone have problems with the engine idling no lower than 2000 rpms and top rpms of 10,000?

aussiesteve 04-04-2012 04:09 PM

ORIGINAL: WLM189

I have recently purchased a PTE 36R, love the engine. I have about a tank of fuel through it and is running an 18x8 prop. Has anyone have problems with the engine idling no lower than 2000 rpms and top rpms of 10,000?
You are underpropped. Try running a 20" prop on it (Maybe a 19" for the first few hours). These engines really like a 20" prop

I have been monitoring the one I had (It belongs to someone else now as i had no use for it). It is quite a powerhouse when tuned right and propped right. That one now has well over 50 flying hours on it and hasn't missed a beat.

WLM189 04-04-2012 05:01 PM

Thanks I'll give it a try. The engine is hanging on a GP Giant stick. Has great transition from idle to WOT, just comes in a little to hot on landing for me. If you don't mind saying why did you get rid of yours?

aussiesteve 04-04-2012 05:56 PM

I got mine originaly just to evaluate it. The part of this hobby I enjoy most is the Engines and I like to evaluate new engines on the market.
There was nothing sinister in me selling mine other than I don't fly that size plane much and I have a couple of (much more expensive) engines that more than suit me for the occassions where I do use this size of plane.

The PTE 36 is showing itself to be a very good contender in the size range (It seems that 30 - 35cc is the new 26cc) and represents decent value for money. Only time will tell how long they will last but from what I have seen so far, there is no reason to expect it to be all that short. The one thing that they don't respond well to is under propping as they tend to run "a bit ordinary" if not properly loaded.

CAT POwer 04-05-2012 07:08 AM

Hi, what prop are you using ?
Plastic, wood ect..... Make ?

ORIGINAL: WLM189

AmishWarlord 04-05-2012 07:41 AM

He said 18x8

MTK 04-05-2012 08:28 AM

ORIGINAL: aussiesteve

I got mine originaly just to evaluate it. The part of this hobby I enjoy most is the Engines and I like to evaluate new engines on the market.
There was nothing sinister in me selling mine other than I don't fly that size plane much and I have a couple of (much more expensive) engines that more than suit me for the occassions where I do use this size of plane.

The PTE 36 is showing itself to be a very good contender in the size range (It seems that 30 - 35cc is the new 26cc) and represents decent value for money. Only time will tell how long they will last but from what I have seen so far, there is no reason to expect it to be all that short. The one thing that they don't respond well to is under propping as they tend to run ''a bit ordinary'' if not properly loaded.
Steve,

I remember what you told me about this engine a few months back...Nevertheless, the rear exhaust (and rear intake, ala SAP180HP) configuration piqued my curiosity and I bought one to test on pipe. Good to know about the 20" props. I am currently running a 20x10 MDK hybrid on the OS33GT so that will be the prop I will run on the PTE initially. I also have a 19x12 and 19x13 coming. Any of these will work in my application, I am only looking to tailor the power curve and noise attenuation. The assumption is that this will be the equal of the 33GT on the amount and type of power, but I will see for myself.....

The price was certainly right. So far it's been the least expensive 30cc class engine to date for me, 279$ US. If it works, it will be cheap for pattern. If it doesn't, I will have a hardly used 36R for sale, cheap...LOL

BTW I have a Mintor 38cc for sale, cheap....Anyone interested I'll make you a great deal on a hardly used 38cc engine. PM me please, don't respond in this thread

WLM189 04-05-2012 12:54 PM

Cat, the 18x8 prop I am using is a Bambula (wood). The 18x8 is recommended to use for break-in of this engine. However at the rpms I am getting, I am worried about two things - 1) landing to hot at the 2000 rpm and 2) over reving the engine at 10,000 rpm. The rpm's were taken with 2 different tac's.

Wayne

Ibcinyou! 04-05-2012 01:28 PM

Wayne,

Check 2 things if you have not done so already.
1) Butterfly on the throttle, make sure its closing all the way or seated properly when throttle is completely closed against the throttle body, you can loosen the screw and check alignment making sure it closes all the way. You will need to remove carb in order to get to this very small screw, I am not talking about the throttle set screw most guys take those completely off anyhow.
2) Check ignition timing, it could be to far advanced which in turn would give you a higher idle..

Hope this helps!