Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Can I please get some radio suggestions here.

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Can I please get some radio suggestions here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 06:21 AM
tewitt1949

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I please get some radio suggestions here.

Hi all

If there is a better place to post this please let me know. Sorry if this is the wrong place.

I'm been really down and depressed the last few days. I've been a die hard airtronics user since early 80's. I've always used 72mh (yes I know its time to go 2.4) but at my age and getting bad eye sight, I didn't know how much longer I will be able to fly, so thats why haven't updated. If it works use it. Airtronics has always been simple to use and program and never have a problem.

Anyways, my radio has finally died or I just don't trust it anymore, after a few times for a few seconds I didn't have any elevator. Luckily no crashes. So I guess I am going to bite the bullet and get a new radio.

My question is, is there a site that is non partial and gives a honest opinion of the better radio comparison reviews? I don't need the fancyest I'd prefer to get one with out all the bells an whstles for one that will last with no problems (if there is such a thing). At my age I don't understand all new high tech stuff and I'd prefer not to spend big money.

Any advise or thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:56 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
It's difficult to suggest a particular transmitter/system without knowing some more details.
What Airtronics model do you own now?
What is the minimum and maximum number of channels you need for the types of planes you fly?
How large is the largest plane you fly.
Do you use much mixing or special control surface set-ups?
Old 06-21-2015, 07:19 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Oh man, not to be sarcastic but your question has been, or at least similar questions, the subject of what is usually known as "radio wars".

While some will offer useful advice, by in large most of it will be slanted to their own personal preferences which may or may not fit your needs or wants. Please consider using the search engine for the "which radio" question and the radio forum will probably be the best place to look.

Good luck.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:36 AM
tewitt1949

Zeeb....You right, I understand and I don't want to start a war here. I know many will recommend a radio just beause thats what they have. And what they have might be a great radio. I'm mainly a 40-50 size sport flyer. I don't need or use mixing at all. I had an airtronics rd8000. Most of the features I never used. 6-8 channel is sufficient for me. I do want at least 10 model storage. I just want a good rugged radio that is built like a tank. At my age I don't want the aggravation of a radio with glitches/problems every so often. That's what I liked about my airtronics, I didn't have to be real careful and baby how I handled it. Not that I threw it around or abused it, but I never put it in a padded case, just layed it on the floor of my truck etc. I don't even have a problem 72mh but I know its outdated and normally don't have several model memory. I've posted a message as to where I can get my airtronics fixed, but no replys yet.

Since I'm starting again, I will have to get several receivers. People in the club have had good luck with those (I think they call them) orange receiver from hobby king? They are cheap and appears reliable from what I've heard. $15 vs $75 factory receiver.

Last edited by tewitt1949; 06-21-2015 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:37 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't have one, so I feel safe suggesting that from what I've seen it would seem Spectrum offers a pretty good deal on a popular simple radio. A newer 7 channel gets you up into a radio that will have enough features you won't be lacking, and the "orange" receivers are fully compatible.

Last, if you are loking for just the transmitter, these can be purchased pretty reasonably on E-Bay.

Last edited by ahicks; 06-21-2015 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:09 AM
flyinwalenda

You say you don't want any aggravation and want a rugged radio but then you say you would consider something from Hobby King. If you don't want aggravation and want something that is built well then don't buy anything from HK especially a radio system or receivers!!
I use Futaba, JR, Spektrum, Kraft , and I have an Airtronics all 2.4 or converted to 2.4ghz and they all serve a purpose for me. There are more manufacturers out there as well selling 2.4 systems
I would recommend that you look for a new or used Airtronics RD8000 or 6000 transmitter ,swap the crystal from your broken one transfer the model programming and just continue flying on 72mhz..
Here are some available:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AIRTRONICS-SANWA-RD6000-6-CHANNEL-SYSTEM-WITH-4-SERVOS-ON-72-830-NEW-IN-WORN-BOX/371354824036?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item567678ed64

Some that recently sold:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...p2045573.m1684

Here is one on the RCU classifieds that just expired. Maybe he still has it?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/ite...itemId=1031839

If you want a 2.4 system that is less expensive than the big 3 or 4 then consider a Tactic 6 or 8 channel computer radio system. It's made well , feels good and performs good.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...NUFACTURER=TAC
Old 06-21-2015, 10:11 AM
flyinwalenda

After looking through new posts I see you started two additional threads with information that you didn't include here.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/airt...vice-info.html
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/airt...-question.html

You fly mode 1 (important info to know), you also bought a working RD8000 mode 2. I would convert the mode 2 transmitter to mode 1 (change gimbals,swap ratchet) , swap the crystal and fly. If you can't do the conversion yourself it really won't pay to send it in to Radio South ,better off looking for a mode 1 transmitter.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AIRTRONICS-R...item5674d013cb

Good Luck.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:15 AM
tewitt1949

One thing I forgot to mention is I fly mode 1. I can change it mechanically (throttle ratchet and spring) but its the micro processor that also has to be reprogamed/switched and it appears there are no service shops to do that any more.

Not that money is a big issue, the easiest probably and quickest/easiest is to find another 6-8 channel mode 1 radio. Thanks for the links flyinwalenda.

Last edited by tewitt1949; 06-21-2015 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:02 AM
LarsL

In full transparency, I have a Jeti DS16 and a Spektrum DX8. I could just as easily see myself having bought Futaba, Aitronics, Sanwa, Multiplex, or any of the other established brands and I'm 100% certain that I would be completely satisfied. Since you have a happy history with Airtronics, if I were you I would go with one of their 6-8 channel 2.4 radios.

no radio war needed.

Lars
Old 06-21-2015, 12:10 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

buy cheap and maybe you will be happy i have 12 planes each plane has own radio>> all futaba on 72 no trouble over all the years and u say your old iam a young 83 most of my radios are on 6 channells
Old 06-21-2015, 01:16 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No reason to switch to 2.4GHZ unless you fly at a club that has banned 72mhz units. A year ago I purchased a JR 10X helicopter transmitter in mint condition for $125 USD. Just brose the for sale sites. I'm sure you will come across another Airtronics unit identical to the one you have. You can also place a wanted add in these sites. IMO RCGroups is far better than RCUniverse when searching for used items.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:09 AM
stegl

I am going to have to throw my nickel in here. If you have been happy with your Aitronics over the years you won't be sorry if you continue with it on 2.4. . The best RF link out there bar non. The SD 6 or 10 can be had used at very good prices and in a lot of cases can be had with multiple receivers included. Another choice is the RDS8000 Airtronics system being their first 2.4 radio .Prices of used receivers are coming down. If you value you aircraft I would stay away from the off brand "orange" receivers as not reliable and throw away at best with no service backup. Also a lot of off branded stuff is not FCC or IC approved.

This is is not a brand war opinion but base it on observations and opinions of many flyers in our area and from personal experience. Futaba being another choice using a solid system ; but my second choice. There are many other brand choices out there but may require software and hardware fixes and this can get costly with shipping costs to get fixed . All a consideration.

I use the Airtronics SD10 radio and have just added a Jeti radio because of the telemetry system for turbine use. No plans of ever selling off my SD10 radio except when unable to fly any longer.

Last edited by stegl; 06-22-2015 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:56 AM
gravity tester

tewitt-
Long time Airtronics user, first time caller... ;-) FWIW, if you are thinking of going new, the 2.4 GHz RDS8000 programming is nearly identical to the RD8000, with obvious differences for range checks and pairing. I have both and don't miss a beat switching back and forth, except for remembering to pull the antenna out when my son is flying his trainer with the 72 MHz RD. Re: your other posting about data reset: My understanding of the RD8000 is that the factory reset function is model specific - there is no one time mass delete. In other words, you have to reset the data for each model AR1, AR2, AR3, etc. Last, here is a link for the mode 2 - mode 1: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-r...s-rds8000.html

Hope that helps. Good luck.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:10 AM
stegl

Don't think that anything has to be reprogrammed. Just swap the receiver servo plugins.... in other words just swap the receiver throttle to elevator and elevator to throttle. or whatever combination is needed..

Last edited by stegl; 06-22-2015 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:22 AM
dwaynenancy
My Feedback: (62)

Tewitt, you might consider the Taranis by Hobby King if you can do a little programming. It uses a module and a module is available DSM2 and DSMX (same module). It is open software and has telemetry. A great transmitter.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:12 PM
tewitt1949

There are many airtronic RDS800 radios for sale, but they are mode 2, since I fly mode 1 does anyone know if the rds8000 can be switched to mode 1 without sending it back to airtronics? I know futaba can be switched easily as far as the computer part goes. Don't know about the 8000. Anybody know?

Gravity tester..............That link about how to change mode 2 to mode 1, be careful, screwed up a radio of mine. I may have done it wrong, but the radio is basically dead now. Blank screen, can't make any changes in programing.

Last edited by tewitt1949; 06-22-2015 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:23 AM
stegl

There is a way to switch the RDS8000 programing mode from 2 to 1 but since the screen is dead may need something more. I would contact Airtronics at 1-800-262-1178 between 12-4pm Pacific or email [email protected] . If this is a used radio may be a good idea for them to check it over at the same time. I would stick with it as that is a great radio as I had one until the SD-10G came out and that can easily be change from mode 1 to 2 to 3 to 4....your choice.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:47 PM
gravity tester

Tewitt-
Sorry. Looks like I need to wear my glasses more... The link above I was looking at was in fact for the RDS8000. Unless the OP had a typo, that is the 2.4 version as you know. I have never attempted the procedure as I fly mode 2 but what I am not sure of now is whether or not that procedure would also work for the RD8000, (72 M version). Now it's got me wondering if that could be the cause of your dead radio....? Maybe it only works for the RDS? Just a stab in the dark.