Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 10:30 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Bosshossv8
The Blue Angles don't have anything over you!!!!

You did a pretty IMAC loop your start & finished points were the same you go boy!!!!

How long does the baby smoke for with your size tank?

See looks good smoking i don't think the plane is old enough to smoke so we need to see some plane ID
Old 05-20-2007, 11:01 PM
kochj

Maudib,
Could you shed some light on this qeustion, and perhaps anyone else that has flown both:

What is the better plane:

QQ 50cc (New one)
EF 50 cc (new one)

You have built and flown both, what do you think.......

Thank you
Justtin
Old 05-21-2007, 06:11 AM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: kochj

Maudib,
Could you shed some light on this qeustion, and perhaps anyone else that has flown both:

What is the better plane:

QQ 50cc (New one)
EF 50 cc (new one)

You have built and flown both, what do you think.......

Thank you
Justtin

Oh Boy.........

KRazy,

I have a 16 ounce smoke tank...and I usually set it up for 4 minutes continuous. But, with the changing rate of mix to throttle, it may be a little more...... during those vertical tailover snaps you could see un-burned oil spraying out.....I gotta play with the mix curve. I use 9303 Mix 1 Thrott to Aux4.

Showtime Pro PFT system. Super-Dri Aviation Smoke Oil.

It Looks cool, but boy, it is messy, icky , yucky, ucky, pooh-pooh on the plane. You need a LOT of moist towelettes to clean it up. I have aspecial spot at our field where I ground run it, to kill the weeds. [:-][:-]

Can't wait to fast tumble into a KE Spin and fall through the smoke....
Old 05-21-2007, 06:43 AM
sarawnty

Hi,
I have about 10 flights on my red/white Yak now. The plane felt locked in on the very first flight. Great airplane.
I haven't weighed it yet but here are a few particulars:

DA50 with stock side muffler
5955's on rudder and ailerons
5945's on elevators
Spektrum DX7
16 ounce tank
Smartfly ignition regulator
Smartfly fail safe regulator
One 5200 Fromeco Lion battery for receiver
2600 Fromeco Lion battery for ignition
Menz 23x8 prop
No smoke

Mine needed up trim consistent with other reports. I just adjusted the stab and engine incidences. Both were off about 1 degree.
Since I'm not running a pipe, I removed part of the tunnel from just behind the wing tube all the way back.

Like the 87" Yak, I think this plane will be one of those all-time classics.

Steve
Old 05-21-2007, 07:06 AM
Bosshossv8

I am surprised you removed part of the tunnel. It really weighs nothing, but does do some stiffening of fuse, IMO.

Maybe you re-inforced or added something after removal...can you show a picture...??

I really like the Red Scheme, now. My B & Y is a real chore to see in overcast conditions. The Red , on the other hand, stands out and is very visible, and easily oriented.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:24 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Both of these designs are excellent choices... top performers and great quality. Pricing is siimilar and companies are top notch with support.

The EF is larger... and more scale looking... the QQ is smaller and less so, but similar in wing area while being somwhat lighter. Both are very well powered with a 50cc engine...

The QQ is equppied with super easy drop in canister installation... the EF requires only a little more install steps... but also allows for a tuned pipe. Ther large EF cowl will swallow a stock muffler... but the QQ's smaller cowl will require significant cutting for one. However, because it is smaller in diameter, the prop does feel a little more effective in providing propwash... a 22" is great on the QQ... I've moved to a 23x8 on the EF...

The both flew very well... absolute floaters, solid elevator stall... great stuff.

Based on all this... I can't tell you one is "better" than the other... truthfully... they are top aircraft with some differences... those differences along with personal preference on looks and schemes will award you with a plane you'll be very happy with.

Everyone's favorite is the plane they own... I own both... they're both my favorite... tee hee..
Old 05-21-2007, 08:58 AM
Whirlyspud

Boss,

The smoke looks great! I wish I could have made it out to see it live. I hope to get out one night this week. I did a little tlc to the yak, but that was all the attention it got this weekend.[&o]

Mike
Old 05-21-2007, 04:05 PM
Yak Man
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: zoomer199

Recieved pm JRJohn, I will get back to ya on that.

A couple more ?'s regarding both Cf gear options.
Does the gear have the forward angle or are they just straight down.
Would like to keep those wheels forward of the wing leading edge as they are stock.

I have put 4 gallons through this bird in the last few weeks and the alum gear is sagging bad. I don't like having to keep bending them back. Over time the will just get weaker.

I had CF gear on my training plane (AW yak54 18.5lbs ) and the stiffness did not effect it on hard landings. So I am not concerned about that.
RC Supergear are identical to the stock gear, excepth they are about 1 1/2" taller in height. Same angle of the dangle.... just taller.

Not Laminated, made one at a time by hand. No pressure injection, space age, high speed underwater landing gear...They look Good......

They can be trimmed to your height preference. They are stiffer than stock with some give for a harder landing. 3 oz lighter and under $100. Spats & Farings fit just like a glove.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 05-21-2007, 04:37 PM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

When is the official review coming?

ORIGINAL: Maudib

Both of these designs are excellent choices... top performers and great quality. Pricing is siimilar and companies are top notch with support.

The EF is larger... and more scale looking... the QQ is smaller and less so, but similar in wing area while being somwhat lighter. Both are very well powered with a 50cc engine...

The QQ is equppied with super easy drop in canister installation... the EF requires only a little more install steps... but also allows for a tuned pipe. Ther large EF cowl will swallow a stock muffler... but the QQ's smaller cowl will require significant cutting for one. However, because it is smaller in diameter, the prop does feel a little more effective in providing propwash... a 22" is great on the QQ... I've moved to a 23x8 on the EF...

The both flew very well... absolute floaters, solid elevator stall... great stuff.

Based on all this... I can't tell you one is "better" than the other... truthfully... they are top aircraft with some differences... those differences along with personal preference on looks and schemes will award you with a plane you'll be very happy with.

Everyone's favorite is the plane they own... I own both... they're both my favorite... tee hee..
Old 05-21-2007, 06:32 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

A week or so and it should be published... this is the 86" review not the 88"... I pretty much did that in this thread...
Old 05-21-2007, 07:35 PM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

boss nice vid, sounds like you are kinda close to an airport? heard some close sounding planes, big ones, i also guess you broke the curse of the video crash thing, i havent taped myself since i belly flopped my comp arf in, on camera, may post it one of these days, anyway, good deal
Old 05-21-2007, 07:50 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

ORIGINAL: Maudib

A week or so and it should be published... this is the 86" review not the 88"... I pretty much did that in this thread...
Dave, I think a formal review is in order.... I see guys daily who ask for more info on the plane and I refer them to this thread. To be quite honest many working folks don't have time to read some 2600 posts to get a review on a plane. [&o]It is sad because they like what they see but are used to seeing the reviews in magazines. (yes they actually read those things and buy airplanes accordingly)

You might consider talking Chris Hinson into having some regular reviewer look into doing a review on this plane as it likely will be around for a while and a review could be beneficial to the masses.

The first thing in order in my review is this plane is a good flyer. The second is, why does the painted cowl (red) match the ultra coat but not the canopy? Is it not painted too? Another weakness is the back of the canopy lip that continues to crack on me. I suppose I could buy another canopy but it might crack too.

But the number one comment I got when Flying Skunks (he keeps 33, 35 and 40% planes) flew mine is that it compares favorable in flight characteristics to a modern 33% and 35% plane.

Disclaimer: No, I don't do reviews, and I don't work for Extreme Flight in any way, just another consumer educating himself as best he can.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:43 PM
Whirlyspud

I think the paint would probably match if the canopy had white backing up the red.

Mike
Old 05-21-2007, 10:38 PM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

Hi all, I felt well enough ( well my arm did) to make peace with my Yak. After changing the prop that bit me I with my son took her out to the field today. After making damn sure the plane was secured well I reached down and touched the prop just to get the jitters out of the way. After a few short tweeks of the needles to get the engine to run good I lined her up and said what the hell. Full power and up she went much sooner than I expected. I set my control throws at 15 degrees up and down for the first flight. Even at that she is so damn responsive that I was kind of in shock. But after about five minutes of feeling her out I came to think that this is one very nice flying plane. I did not do anything very daring with it this time because I was a bit nervous about the engine shutting down (it did not) just a lot of rolls , very crisp, and touch and go's to see how she handels. I was very happy with how slow you can fly her and still have good control responce.

I guess I won't drill her into a vertical landing to a spot to get even for the bite she gave me. I guess you could say.I"M F*&%ING HAPPY with this plane. I can't wait till I get more time on engine and learn how to really fly this Yak.

Again thanks to all of you who sent along kind words and all. This sport has some of the best quality people you could ever hope to meet.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:43 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: SoCalSal
Again thanks to all of you who sent along kind words and all. This sport has some of the best quality people you could ever hope to meet.
Well said! And I couldn't agree more!
Old 05-21-2007, 11:19 PM
krayzc-RCU

SoCalSal way to ride that horse hi ol silver/black and yellow.....
Old 05-22-2007, 07:39 AM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: krayzc-RCU

SoCalSal way to ride that horse hi ol silver/black and yellow.....
Kannapolis huh???? You must be very cool. I say this because my Dad was born there. So if you are 1/10 the person he was your O.K. in my book.

Thanks
Steve
Old 05-22-2007, 08:14 AM
Whirlyspud

Glad to hear you are back at it!

Mike
Old 05-22-2007, 05:00 PM
Bosshossv8

This is one bird that should come with an addiction warning.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:10 PM
Flyin Hawaiian

Hey Guys,
Joe Nall was a blast! Got to check-out and fly the EF 88.5" Extra 300. It flies almost identical to the 88" Yak 54. Chris Hinson is great guy to hang with, and Fred Midgett (from Higher Planes Productions) is a complete hoot! I really wrung-out my black & yellow 88" with rollers/harriers/hovers just a inches off the deck. Mind you I have had about 10 flights on this airplane. Yeah, I've had to trim the plane with the usual as already mentioned on this thread. But what plane doesn't need trimming. Unfortunately, towards the end of the Nall event I put her in the trees. The Dreaded unforgivable sin of "out of GAS!" in a tumble and inverted harrier into the trees edging the runway. I was just having way too much fun. But no fear, another one is on the way! At this point in time, IMO the 50cc EF 88" Yak 54 is the Baddest 3D and IMAC plane that is available today (well Chris is out of stock right now, but will be available in about a week). Here are some Pics from the Nall!

Happy Skies and God Bless!

Rennie "the Flyin Hawaiian"
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35901.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	689599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34231.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	689600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di98573.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	689601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo34957.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	689602  
Old 05-22-2007, 05:21 PM
Bosshossv8

Sorry to hear you lost your Yak , FH. You know how much you really love one, when right after the crash, you KNOW you are building another.

Sorry, man.

This is the first EF I have bought, where I didn't buy spares right away. I tried to break the habit, but I am about to give in....
Old 05-22-2007, 06:44 PM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

they should be here soon
Old 05-22-2007, 07:21 PM
Absolut Yak
My Feedback: (4)

Love the harrier landing pic. Glad to hear a new one is coming. I owe Lonny an airframe, so he has his pick of whatever Chris has in production. He had a grin on his face when I told him.

Doug
Old 05-22-2007, 09:31 PM
krayzc-RCU

Flyin Hawaiian that a bummer were u running the 20 oz tank?
Old 05-22-2007, 09:42 PM
Bosshossv8

[link=http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/W83B4B5Y06JQDZGB][color=#FF6600] MORE YAK SMOKE VIDEO [color][/link]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.