Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 02:40 PM
cwhite
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

B60 runs 6900 on Xoar 23x8 when I first start and 6600 when I land. Does that mean I need to richen the top or is that normal after a 15 min flight?
Old 04-22-2007, 04:23 PM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

My broke in DA turns this POS MSC 23 x 8 at 6700 only. It is a beat up prop that has been tip repaired, and rough. Balanced but , not in good condition.

MenzS 23 x 8 next time around.

I Maidened at 8:15 this morning in just about a gale. Listen to the wind in the mini movie I made up, with 2nd flight also.

There was some drama during the maiden,.........

DEADSTICK!!!!! On Purpose!!!!

[link=http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/8Q29PXLRNCRZD7RJ]EXtreme Flight 88" Yak-54 Maiden and 2nd flight. [/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31586.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	669994  
Old 04-22-2007, 04:26 PM
Mokken
My Feedback: (63)

ORIGINAL: Bosshossv8

My broke in DA turns this POS MSC 23 x 8 at 6700 only. It is a beat up prop that has been tip repaired, and rough. Balanced but , not in good condition.

MenzS 23 x 8 next time around.

I Maidened at 8:15 this morning in just about a gale. Listen to the wind in the mini movie I made up, with 2nd flight also.

There was some drama during the maiden,.........

DEADSTICK!!!!! On Purpose!!!!

[link=http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/8Q29PXLRNCRZD7RJ]EXtreme Flight 88" Yak-54 Maiden and 2nd flight. [/link]
Congratz!!! And we all "Deadstick on Purpose"
Old 04-22-2007, 04:35 PM
Bosshossv8

I noted my trim in the video...very severe elevator trim, I know it is not nose heavy, I had to use the heavy DA muffler in stead of the DL-50 muffler to get more nose weight to keep from being tailheavy...according to the manual. I am just behind the tube, go figure.

It is a very very wind day here, on a calm day, I will really get a feel for it. I have to remove cowl and check the firewall from all the tumbling at full throttle I was doing.....[8D][8D]....do you like how FAST it tumbles...I do . KE spins will be easy. I got one in on the video.

Incidence check, motor thrust check....oh, I had 55deg down, 40deg up with the little weight hanging degree meter someone had.

I only put 35 deg on the aileron. It could go more easily.

I want to figure out the trim issue on a calm day.

I am stoked, and the harrier landing it did on 2nd flight was cool, too. I lost a bonded washer and 2mm cowl screw...must not have tightened it up after re-attaching the muffler from maiden. [:-][:-]

I was lucky the muffler did not hit the prop, it could be taken right out through the front of the cowl...Yikes.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:09 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway

Nice job Mike!! Hey if'n you can maiden in 30 mph winds I wanna know one thing for JR John.

Wazzup? Maybe if you let the helium out first?

(that means I am not really serious)

6 flights on mine today and I have a 5945 servo going bad on one elevator. On 3D throws pull full up or full down it is slower than the other, next time not... I wont chance it so out it comes.

R
Old 04-22-2007, 05:12 PM

Óh yeah, winds here today were at 90 degree crosswind and 15 gusts to 25. No problem, maybe this summer I can try it out in a tropical storm[sm=bananahead.gif][sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 04-22-2007, 05:31 PM
Yak Man
My Feedback: (1)

88" Yak Maiden from a few weeks back,
http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/SK1P0C3GCX4K5T3D/received
Old 04-22-2007, 05:36 PM

The crowd goes wild!! (moo)

What muffler?
Old 04-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Bosshossv8

What is it?, everyone having to maiden in gale force wind,.......I hope JRJohn's maiden went well. By 8:15am today it was blowing steady with 18mph stints and gusts to 30,now at 38mph.

Nutso, I was not as brave as Yakman... I have to come down below a treeline and turbulence is brutal there. So ,down low stuff has to be in calm conditions for me.

I am glad I did not maiden in front of the public crowd, having the muffler fall off is embarrassing, [&:].
Old 04-22-2007, 06:25 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

good job! Good thing you had a FO Kill!! They are worth every penny!
Old 04-22-2007, 06:31 PM
Bosshossv8

Josey, where did your elevator trim end up from neutral??
Old 04-22-2007, 06:37 PM
Josey Wales

Josey, where did your elevator trim end up from neutral??
I only needed 1 beep of up elevator...my CG is a little past 6 3/4
Old 04-22-2007, 06:41 PM
cwhite

If anybody is interested, here is my setup. Of course mine weighs 17.75lbs so you might not want to look.

Name:	Db84139.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	670138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62180.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	670139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg91666.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	670140  
Old 04-22-2007, 06:42 PM
Rockyaged

ORIGINAL: thomasf

I checked my Incidence with the hangar 9 meter and my elevators are both showing 1 degree pos. I have not been able to maiden and see how it flys yet so don't know how it's going to affect the plane.
Question for Rockyaged, Once I do fly it and need alot of up trim, how did you correct the elevators?
ThomasSF...

First.... when the plane takes off, be ready for it to nose over when you go back to neutral
with the elevator stick... with one degree, you should be able to trim for level flight. I
suggest you climb it out to a safe level for trimming.
second the fix is to get a carbon fiber rod with a 1/4 " inner diameter. We get ours from Taps
Plastic in San Jose. Take a round file and elongate the pivot pin hole down. Do alittle at a time.
Less than 1/16th of an inch at a time.. Insert the pivot pin into a short piece of the carbon fiber
rod and insert into the bottom of the elongated hole. Check with your meter. Continue until
you get to zero degrees. Do both sides the same. Then cut a piece of carbon fiber rod to fit
from one side of the fuselage to the other, not protruding outside the fuselage. Apply Epoxy
to the fuselage and insert the c/f rod into place. With a stick, apply more Epoxy to the rod
inside the fuselage thru the small access holes. Prepare to fly it the next day.
Like you, I am waiting for good weather to fly. You might consider coming down and flying with
us at our club site.

Gerald
Old 04-22-2007, 06:44 PM
Bosshossv8

A re-check is in order when she comes in for inspection tonite.

Either my CG is way off, or thrust and incidence issues are sure to be found.

I don't care, it flew awesome. I never thought I would say the EF Original 87" would be MY #2 bird. Can't wait for a calm evening.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:05 PM
cwhite

Here is my trim for level flight and mine climbs slightly when inverted but I'm not changing anything cause she flies great!

Name:	Kh17424.jpg
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	670167  
Old 04-22-2007, 07:19 PM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: Yak Man

88" Yak Maiden from a few weeks back,
http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/SK1P0C3GCX4K5T3D/received
How was the aroma in that field with all those hay burners around??[:-]
Old 04-22-2007, 07:19 PM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: cwhite

Here is my trim for level flight and mine climbs slightly when inverted but I'm not changing anything cause she flies great!
Yep thats pretty much where mine is also...I checked today for any thrust issues..went from wide open to idle and she stayed in a perfect line.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:02 PM
thomasf

Rockyaged, Thank you for your input. If I only have to put enough trim like in cwhite's photo from the post prior I can live with it. But if mine ends up like bosshossv8, I will take your advise and try to fix the incidence. I also forgot to mention that I checked the thrust on the engine and I have 1 degree down. I don't know if Chris designed the motor box that way, But let me tell you putting two washers on the lower motor mounts sounds alot easier to do and not screw up then messing with the elevators incidence.
Oh and one more thing, the hangar9 incidence/throw meter is money well spent. I know $60 is alot but you don't have to level the plane to check the incidence between the wing,elev, and thrust. also the throw meter is very useful. No I don't work for Horizon, I think some of there products are over priced.
Rockyaged, thank you for the invite. I would like to come to your field, Where do you fly? I fly at Sacrats in Union City, You are also more then welcome to come fly with me and my buddies. We fly on Sundays and there is never more then 15 people there, On average maybe 10. Throw me a PM so we can keep this Thread on topic.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:27 PM
Yak Man

ORIGINAL: SoCalSal

How was the aroma in that field with all those hay burners around??[:-]
It smells just like Yak Dung or money to a cattleman. If only I can teach them to hold the video camera, most of my flying during the week they are the only spectators. They are easily impressed, just throw them a bale.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:37 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

i did not make it back to the field today i installed the cowl front baffle piece on mine so now it's on!!!!!

with out those counter balances i would not have started this elevator issue as with no c/b there would not have been anything sticking out to catch your eye[8D]

cwhite
your weight is normal if you ask me i was at 17 lbs prior to installing my front baffles and receiver battery. I have not weighted it again since and really do not care what it weights as this is the way its going to be flown u feel me
Old 04-22-2007, 08:59 PM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is it?, everyone having to maiden in gale force wind,.......I hope JRJohn's maiden went well. By 8:15am today it was blowing steady with 18mph stints and gusts to 30,now at 38mph.

Nutso, I was not as brave as Yakman... I have to come down below a treeline and turbulence is brutal there. So ,down low stuff has to be in calm conditions for me.

I am glad I did not maiden in front of the public crowd, having the muffler fall off is embarrassing, [&:].
Boss, you gave me good advice yesterday, but I didn't listen. I maidened in the above weather.

Ever hear the saying.... "It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground"? It was so true. I took off and needed about 20 clicks of up elevator. For landing I needed 20 clickes of down. Way tail heavy! Made a very difficult landing, walked around for a while and decided to Straped 6 ounces to the standoffs. then I made another dumb decision, I went up again! The plane flew much better but sill not right. Did some rolling circles. Started in front of the crowd by the time I made my 3rd circle the plane was blown about 1/4 mile away. It torquerolls real nice!

It was hard to figure out anything in that wind. Absolutly the worst wind I have even flown in. And it was Gusty with almost a perfect crosswind.

Anyway, came in for a landing was looking good 4-5 feet above the runway and a downdraft from hell body slammed my plane into the runway, never experienced anything like it. It happened so fast there was no chance to recover. I don't think the plane moved an inch forewaord from where it hit. fortunatly the CF gear took all the shock, it broke (very sad) it saved the bottom of my plane, not a scratch to the mounting block, wings ect. very impressive. Small crackes in the oil cooler in the rear corners. I think any other brand plane would have had serious bottom damage. Lost my 23x8 NX prop too.

Came home and put on a new CF gear. Now I have to take my reciever battery from behind the wing tube and strap it to the top front of the engine box. Checked my incidence on the horizontal stabilizer and I have 1 deg positive incidence on both stabs. (this is part of the trim problem) I'll fly again with the battery up front, then I'll correct the incedence. Pretty easy to do.

It was hard to keep the car and trailer on the road on Hwy 29. Just after I "landed" a huge branch broke off a tree just behind us.

How about some pictures??

Sure... first a story.. Late last fall as my beloved father James N. Rowe lay dieing from Renal cancer, ( died Dec. 3rd 2006). I found it difficult to sleep at night. It was hard to get my mind off my father. I tired deverting my thoughts to a theme for my next yak. I wanted something dangerous like 3D flying. I spent countless hours thinking, I came up with "RUSSIAN ROULETTE" I took these two words to the one man that I knew could finish my idea and keep a secret. Dave Johnson, AKA Maudib. It didn't take him long. His work is absolute perfection. The pictures don't do it justice. Here you go

Name:	Db84561.jpg
Size:	305.9 KB
ID:	670271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38550.jpg
Size:	313.1 KB
ID:	670272   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55201.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	298.7 KB
ID:	670273  
Old 04-22-2007, 09:11 PM
Josey Wales

Nice!!!

Sorry to hear about your Dad[]
Mokken
My Feedback: (63)

ORIGINAL: jrjohn

Boss, you gave me good advice yesterday, but I didn't listen. I maidened in the above weather.

Ever hear the saying.... "It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground"? It was so true. I took off and needed about 20 clicks of up elevator. For landing I needed 20 clickes of down. Way tail heavy! Made a very difficult landing, walked around for a while and decided to Straped 6 ounces to the standoffs. then I made another dumb decision, I went up again! The plane flew much better but sill not right. Did some rolling circles. Started in front of the crowd by the time I made my 3rd circle the plane was blown about 1/4 mile away. It torquerolls real nice!

It was hard to figure out anything in that wind. Absolutly the worst wind I have even flown in. And it was Gusty with almost a perfect crosswind.

Anyway, came in for a landing was looking good 4-5 feet above the runway and a downdraft from hell body slammed my plane into the runway, never experienced anything like it. It happened so fast there was no chance to recover. I don't think the plane moved an inch forewaord from where it hit. fortunatly the CF gear took all the shock, it broke (very sad) it saved the bottom of my plane, not a scratch to the mounting block, wings ect. very impressive. Small crackes in the oil cooler in the rear corners. I think any other brand plane would have had serious bottom damage. Lost my 23x8 NX prop too.

Came home and put on a new CF gear. Now I have to take my reciever battery from behind the wing tube and strap it to the top front of the engine box. Checked my incidence on the horizontal stabilizer and I have 1 deg positive incidence on both stabs. (this is part of the trim problem) I'll fly again with the battery up front, then I'll correct the incedence. Pretty easy to do.

It was hard to keep the car and trailer on the road on Hwy 29. Just after I "landed" a huge branch broke off a tree just behind us.

How about some pictures??

Sure... first a story.. Late last fall as my beloved father James N. Rowe lay dieing from Renal cancer, ( died Dec. 3rd 2006). I found it difficult to sleep at night. It was hard to get my mind off my father. I tired deverting my thoughts to a theme for my next yak. I wanted something dangerous like 3D flying. I spent countless hours thinking, I came up with "RUSSIAN ROULETTE" I took these two words to the one man that I knew could finish my idea and keep a secret. Dave Johnson, AKA Maudib. It didn't take him long. His work is absolute perfection. The pictures don't do it justice. Here you go

Those graphics look great..
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Josey Wales

Nice!!!

Sorry to hear about your Dad[]
Thanks Joe.

John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.